Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hey everyone!
I had an idea tonight, and I'm not sure it interests many of you, but if it does it could be pretty helpful! I was considering opening up an option for people to PM me some of their favorite techniques for the Milaana, some simple just to get the basics, or some more complex to teach intuitiveness with the unit...whatever you want that you think would be beneficial. You could name them or give a short description of what this technique achieves, and I would compile them into a list in one post to make as an easy reference for people who are just getting on board, or for those just wanting a new perspective. It would be easy to reference or it could be the start of a "best of" thread...whatever it may be.
Questions on technique are inevitable, so I thought this would be a good idea. If no one is on board, I'm not offended in the slightest, it was just something that came to mind as I was trying something new that turned out to be very successful. Was very impressive! I'll definitely add it to the list (if there is one). If not, enjoy your Milaana in your own way. (I know some of you love posting about your concentrate methods too ;) )

Complexity at it's finest: Simply Versatile
Complexity in it's simplest form: Versatility

murf2010

Hey everyone!
I had an idea tonight, and I'm not sure it interests many of you, but if it does it could be pretty helpful! I was considering opening up an option for people to PM me some of their favorite techniques for the Milaana, some simple just to get the basics, or some more complex to teach intuitiveness with the unit...whatever you want that you think would be beneficial. You could name them or give a short description of what this technique achieves, and I would compile them into a list in one post to make as an easy reference for people who are just getting on board, or for those just wanting a new perspective. It would be easy to reference or it could be the start of a "best of" thread...whatever it may be.
Questions on technique are inevitable, so I thought this would be a good idea. If no one is on board, I'm not offended in the slightest, it was just something that came to mind as I was trying something new that turned out to be very successful. Was very impressive! I'll definitely add it to the list (if there is one). If not, enjoy your Milaana in your own way. (I know some of you love posting about your concentrate methods too ;) )

I like that

AJS

Calm Consistency
Is the warranty transferable? Thinking about getting one off someone but would like to know first. Thanks!
Don't think it requires a name, just a broken unit ;)

Edit:
Just had an awesome sesh through water, kept the temp low the whole time. Normally I finish it in two-three big hits, but I'm 3-4 hits in now, haven't even stirred, and still looking green-yellow. Full bodied low temp hits, they're there. Very nice. Bout half a basket

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
If you send it they will fix.
*Said in that "Field of Dreams" manner
So fellow Milaanites (mil'-in-ites), VAS is dead, only to be inflicted by another strain, MAS.
MAS MISSION STATEMENT
I am in pursuit of the best Milaana experience possible, mastering technique, utilizing custom add ons, carry and storage options, exploring any and all methodology to enhance performance, reliability, safety, and appearance for the best possible taste and controlled effect.

All my stems should be arriving this week (joda & og), super psyched.

Survey: your best battery, inquiring Milaanas wanna know.

Last thing, has anyone thought of "branding" their Milaana?

Out and about on a short stem, not bad, my control seems to compensating for shorter distance, hope it lasts, forgot how cool shorties are.

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hey everyone!

In regards to this,
anyone can PM me their technique. I'll wait a bit before I post it to make sure I get everyone, but please join in if you have a technique you'd like to share! We'd all appreciate it!

Edit:
Consider also adding basket/dome style as well as packing, this will help people find patterns in techniques and which variables affect what.

Last edited:

nickzzzx

Honestly I don't have much of a technique now that I've started doing micro bowls with the Mi. I use just enough to cover the bottom of the screen, so not much at all. I also have the screen as close to the end of the joint as possible. It ends up being about 1-2mm from the end of the joint. Micro bowls obviously give you less overall hits, but I find the vaporization efficiency to be higher, resulting in a more even and complete extraction. And regarding effect? It works better with less. Less is more makes sense here.
I also find it almost impossible to combust using this technique.
When I first got the Mi, I had the tendency to keep the screen deep in the joint, and loading almost the whole joint at a time. Much more material basically. I found it required more care and attention to evenly vape a huge bowl. So lower temps and stirring is necessary or else you risk getting close to combustion.
I guess there is some technique to it. But I absolutely love that it works either way, you have options. Each technique has its pros and cons, so you have to think about what kinda vapor you want and tune your technique to that.

6079Smith

Thank you for the link to the VTC5 cells, @waxdab23

I vaped one stem before immediately ordering a few more of these puppies.

I had thought maybe I had a cooler unit.. but now I dunno, these seem to run significantly hotter than the poop brown hg2's and Samsung 25r I'd been running. Those two are quite different to each other, as well. I had attributed it to the samsung was beat to hell and near the end of it's life cycle while the LG's were new.

More testing imminent , stay vaped , everyone!

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Well I got 4 of those batteries and haven't had a chance to even charge one yet....crap, now I gotta stay up late, as I see immediate testing is needed!!

Edit...Eh, it'll probably take a couple hours, I won't make it, it'll have to be tomorrow......

Last edited:

BadDog No

You know what? Think I'll pass on the hot Sonys, thank you very much. Millie was a little too hot for me to handle with fresh Samsungs, although now that they're starting to wear out...And besides, my technique is improved...BAS : It's real and I suffer from it. :lol: But seriously folks, they're like almost twice as expensive as the 25r. Probably not worth it for a low temp, non cloud chasing (although of course sometimes clouds happen), not often through water (at least with Millie) kind of guy?

AJS

Calm Consistency
I REALLY need to drain my batteries down for storage ... I have 3 batteries that haven't been touched in a month. Damn, really don't want those to lose power. Battery life on this unit amazes the shit out of me, truly the best of any portable I've had. Even with how many batteries I have, it wouldn't even matter, but the fact that I can leave the house with 1 battery and not have to worry about it at all is very refreshing.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I just picked up 6 of these Sony's
http://www.rtdvapor.com/sony-us18650vtc5-2600mah/

According to rtd vapor, Sony is no longer making these.
I think my local vape shop has em also, may pick up 1 or 2 because I ve zero patience...

Attention electronics guys!
Have you seen what 'flashvape' has done with a plug in power supply, regulated?
I was wondering if what they built can work on mi with some modifications?

http://store.flashvape.com/fv-plug-in-adapters

Joda
Just ordered another Joda stem, curved, flared mouthpiece, purple drip. My black and red, midsize Joda's should arrive this week, as well as two long, long, stems from OG.

@Alan, any cool looking wood, glaas combos being made by You?

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Lol for less than 1/10th of their price you could get one of those PSU's that would do the trick: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20160810014501&SearchText=AC-DC+5v+20a (or alternatively search for "ac/dc 5v 20a"

You just need to rip any old power cord to plug it into your mains, then the hardest part would be to create the other pair of leads going to your Mi. Alligator clips come to mind but a safer and prettier solution like seen previously in this thread would be even better.

PS: Sony is still producing them but only sell them to integrators to make larger packs (vs individual cells) and they don't want to have anything to do with vaping.

Last edited:

ZC

I'm not too familiar with the flashvape so the biggest question with their power adaptor is how much power it provides and if it provides the amps required. The website says their batteries are "high drain" but without actual specs its hard to say if it would be enough for the Mi. I'd hate to spend the money on one only to find that the Mi frys it because it needs more power.

On top of that from the looks of it, even though it has a "dummy battery" it also has the bottom of the FV built into it, so you'd definitely have to modify this expensive thing still to fit it in the Mi.

The Aliexpress power supply is more work but is also more likely to work since we know it was the specs we require. I believe Alan ordered a similar PSU and is going to test it.

ZC

@lazylathe

Sorry I've been super distracted and not on putting this together.

I'll give links to the parts, but keep in mind they might be totally overkill.

Voltage buck

Voltmeter display
Power Brick
Cable

The fake battery is just a dowel from the local hardware store, with a notch cut out for the cable to fit. The positive and negative terminals on the battery are just #6 SS screws with finish washers.

The power brick I bought works, but it is WAY overkill and I regret buying it. It's absolutely huge and can produce 120w, way over what we need. This power brick is a lot closer to what we need and a lot more manageable of a size. The voltage doesn't matter so much as long as it's above the 5ish volts we're using, just make sure it has 60ish watts or more. My old laptop brick is 20v 4a and works well.

You don't necessarily need the voltmeter display but it helps if you don't want to sit there with a multi meter.

The resistance of each Mi seems to be a bit different, so while 5v works for me, start low and work your way up to a comfortable level. I'm pulling close to 47w with 5v and a resistance of 0.533. I might up the voltage soon but right now I'm on a t-break. It's been suggested that the Mi can handle much higher wattage (60-80ish) as long as the airflow is strong so I'm definitely going to experiment with that later. That much power would likely eliminate heat up times entirely.

If you don't have a multimeter that's fine, but just be very cautious about stepping up the voltage. With a multimeter you can measure the resistance and get an idea of how many amps you're going to be pulling. Just make sure to measure it with the button pressed!

Other voltage regulators have been suggested. This one suggested by @Alan seems very promising. 10A is enough for my setup but your resistance my be different, so you might need a higher voltage and higher amps. So for now I'm suggesting the voltage buck I bought since at 15A it has plenty of room for play.

I chose the cable for two reasons. First I love the style, but more importantly it's considered a "lamp cable" so I know it can handle 60w+. I could have used just anything lying around but to be perfectly honest I'm not an electrician and I don't want to fuck around with stuff not rated for what we're doing.

I am planning on making a better step by step guide as a resource but it'll take me some time, so for now I hope this helps some people get started. I won't necessarily be checking this thread as much for a while so if anyone builds this esp with different parts please PM me with the parts and results so I can add the info to the resource as I write it.

Please PM me with any other insights or suggestions for the guide.

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
@ZC @Alan

Out of curiosity: for those out there who are looking to build as little of the device as possible.

Is there a desktop lab power supply, something like this out there that can be used for our purposes?

This way people who are less manufacturing inclined only have to make the battery assembly, nothing else really.

ZC

@Dramma Lamma

I looked at those and couldnt' find many rated for over 10A. Like this one. Here's a 20A one but if you ask me that's way, way too expensive for what we're doing here.

The voltage regulator I linked to is already "built" all you do is strip 4 wires and insert them into the terminals, and then tighten the terminals down with a screwdriver. It's actually the "easy" part of the build, the battery is more involved.

If people are really interested maybe I will make a couple and put them on the classifieds, but I think once I put some pictures up of the build process it'll seem easy enough for most.

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
No worries, I'm actually probably long out on the list of ppl to make this at all if ever.
Batteries getting me by just fine, its nice to think about projects to do tho.

Just in the process of browsing your items I noticed, what I thought seemed to be an easier solution.

So the 15A is the cut-off you are going for?

Last edited:
Dramma Lamma,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Really the hardest part is what you call the battery assembly. The PSU I posted support up to 20A so we should be good. They have domino connectors, you just need a screwdriver, no soldering is needed. And it's about 20 bucks shipping included.

Just strip a power cable from an old computer. Keep the part that goes into your wall outlet and strip the end of the 3 wires on the other side. Plug that into the three first terminals of the PSU.

Then afterwards once you've built the "hard part", you also just screw the two wires into the PSU, and it's done.

The only downside is that it is fixed voltage. @ZC's solution offers variable power like the Zion has. In fact, if I do build a PA I think I will make it for the Zi and not for the Mi. The Zi will retain its variable voltage and I'll be able to just build it using a simple PSU (but 7.5V this time) Besides I prefer using the Zi at home and the Mi outside, so I would prefer a wired Zi and stop caring about the battery pairs.

Last edited:

ZC

I'm shooting for 15A just to leave a buffer. 10A seems to be enough for me but just barely. I'm at 9.4A, so if I wanted more heat and had a 10A regulator, I'd be out of luck.

I know some people have cooler units or need higher temps or both, so I don't feel comfortable recommending 10A when it leaves pretty much 0 wiggle room for those situations.

I know I'd hate to put the whole thing together at 10A just to find out my Mi needs more power and either damage the power supply or just not have enough heat. So I'm gonna err on the side of caution and suggest 15A.

I imagine this is part of the reason RBT only uses 20A batts, though in the case of batts you're not just protecting your equipment but yourself as well, no one wants an exploding 18650.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom