Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTAVaper

I think that I remember in the earlier parts of the Zion thread that the ELB's weren't recommended because the steel lip would make contact with the female glass heater receptacle and lift it a little above where it should be.

But others with a Zion that may have tried it would be the best to respond......I'm just trying to recall something that I read at least a month ago or more.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks Do you have any EVO ELBs still, or possibly anyone else?

I use ELBs in my EVO (obviously), SSV, DBV, LSV, ViVape2, an EV-2 (with an 18mm male to male adapter with the ELB in the hole). This makes things super clean as well. I love ELBs.

Having said that, do you think a cheap 18mm male/male with a filled ELB (cap on) stuck in the adapter mated to a water pipe would work?

Or would an ELB fit in the stock stem in the Milaana or Zion?

If anyone can see if an ELB fits in the stock Z/M stem that would be great!

Also if anyone has an 18mm male to male could you see if that mates as a stem for either unit.

Thanks guys, I'm getting a little too excited over here!

I know exactly what I mean and now I'm confused...:rofl:

This sounds good indeed!

The reason I asked was because @Shit Snacks was kind enough to show us an unobtainable adapter :goon: that was freakin sweet and nice and short.

Has the stem size been determined yet or is that still up in the air?
I would like the shortest stem possible.:tup:

Perhaps even one with a slight curve to smooth the draw a bit like the Solo but not as severe.:hmm:

As MrP just said, they can void the warranty, no steel lips bc the heater screen is flush with the end if the joint. Some alpha/beta testers used ELBs (and EQ screens) with their units, but it is no longer supposed to be an option.

The trick with 18mm is it needs to be US sized, not the more common ISO. Many blowers don't know the difference, and an ISO joint can be cut to 7/8inch to fit, like the shorty one I have. But the joint is then too wide so getting a screen in is really tricky.

All glass will need to be custom if not from RBT. Some day hopefully he will offer male to males, and I would love curved... I am still waiting for a curved ISO stem I got to be cut so I can use it actually.

The stem length hasn't been determined, I believe there will be long and medium like there is now, and a super short option. Unsure what will be included yet

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Was there a technical reason that these vapes aren't made in the more common iso size?

More common may be debayeabke actually, clearly US is common for RBT and his source so who knows. It actually seems the female ends are all US, shorter, so maybe it's the ISO that's more unusual, I don't know

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Vape Dr. I seem to remember Pak used a m to m in the Zion.
eNlOHCc.jpg

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@Vape Dr. I seem to remember Pak used a m to m in the Zion.

The long m/m on the right was my regular stem in Jessica, and you can see the Arizer elbow screen if you look closely. That arrangement did not fit well in Pauahi so I stopped using it. You can see that the joints are ISO standard, and the screen made the fit even worse. It still would be a poor stem even if I had converted to a stock Zion screen.

More common may be debayeabke actually, clearly US is common for RBT and his source so who knows.

Then he didn't look very hard, in fact they are readily available cheaper everywhere I saw on my quick Google search. Its not really debatable either.. My American glass is all ISO jointed as well! If you go to a LHS its 90%+ iso..
The trick with 18mm is it needs to be US sized, not the more common ISO.

Was there a technical reason that these vapes aren't made in the more common iso size?

To sell more stems. Otherwise we would use MP's and stems off other units and m2m's as cheap gongs. I mean I understand wanting to secure sales, but its a big miss imo. A standard iso joint would of opened up a world of opportunities right off the bat, a world most of us already own.

To those of you who have your Milaana's already, have you tried other batteries in the unit? Would say a 30a discharge 18650 harm something or just act differently?

I'm still fairly new to 18650's and proper care, not too keen on having to keep up with multiple kinds just yet.

Im stoked on the quick milaana progress so far, I hadn't expected them to be coming this quickly. Glad I jumped on when I did!

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't know why RBT chose the US female joint over the ISO joint other than he might have thought that the slightly larger opening might give better air flow and therefore more heat to the load. But I DON'T think the US joint is noticeably less common, at least here in the US. All the adapters I have gotten from DHgate, for example, are US. All the adapters I had gotten from EBAY too, even before I started checking. The only glass I have with ISO joints actually are the claisen (clearly marked 19/26) I bought online and the default size OGB was using before I asked for US joints. Everything else I have is US.

I suspect ISO will be used more on European glass, but the Chinese seem to like US standard. Maybe because if you use a US male joint it will fit perfectly in a US or ISO female.

I don't know why RBT chose the US female joint over the ISO joint other than he might have thought that the slightly larger opening might give better air flow and therefore more heat to the load. But I DON'T think the US joint is noticeably less common, at least here in the US. All the adapters I have gotten from DHgate, for example, are US. All the adapters I had gotten from EBAY too, even before I started checking. The only glass I have with ISO joints actually are the claisen (clearly marked 19/26) I bought online and the default size OGB was using before I asked for US joints. Everything else I have is US.

I suspect ISO will be used more on European glass, but the Chinese seem to like US standard. Maybe because if you use a US male joint it will fit perfectly in a US or ISO female.

I think you may have it backwards. I own 5 dhgate pieces, and several adapters. All are iso jointed, from yingmin, steven lmz and sunshine store.

My LHS experience was stateside. I've been to three looking for a m2m adapter that's US jointed to no avail. ISO is undeniably the industry standard.

No real sense in rehashing it though. It looks like I may need to experiment grinding glass for a gong, has anyone done this yet? If so what did you use to cut?

I hate dremeling glass.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
To those of you who have your Milaana's already, have you tried other batteries in the unit? Would say a 30a discharge 18650 harm something or just act differently?

It's not the battery that determines the current, it's the load. The load being fixed here, and basically a "simple" resistance, it doesn't matter as long as the cell you use can provide the required amps plus a safety margin. You need that margin for two reasons: the first is to make sure you are not constantly at the designed discharge rate limit, as it would lower the battery life. The second is that the discharge rate of the cell will lower as it ages and its internal resistance increases, so if it's too close to the actual load to start with, it could be exceeded when the cell gets old.

As of now the current recommendation is: any IMR cell able to output 20A continuously (not peak) Beware of cells that claim more than 20A continuous, either they have a lower capacity or the figure is just plain false, especially if it's not labeled LG, Samsung or Sony.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Aww man. Didn't realize it wasn't just a standard GonG joint. I thought that was part of the beauty of this one. Oh well, OGB or China will just start making M2Ms with a US on one side and ISO on the other for us. Kinda seems wrong since we all have so many iso pieces already? Maybe he will switch it over to ISO before it goes into production?

mrbonsai420,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@AJS they are a Li-ion just with a different chemical make up. IMR means Lithium Ion, Manganese oxide cathode, Round cell type. They are a high discharge Li-ion with a 'safer' chemistry. As @KeroZen rightly says Samsung, Lg and Sony but even then if they look to good a price to be true then they are.
A 26650 battery would extend run times, or parallel 18650, possibility for the future?

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS they are a Li-ion just with a different chemical make up. IMR means Lithium Ion, Manganese oxide cathode, Round cell type. They are a high discharge Li-ion with a 'safer' chemistry. As @KeroZen rightly says Samsung, Lg and Sony but even then if they look to good a price to be true then they are.
A 26650 battery would extend run times, or parallel 18650, possibility for the future?
Hmmm interesting, thank you for that. The ones I had in my cart were Samsung 18650 INR, but I bookmarked something from fasttech "Vappower IMR 18650"...so maybe I need to go with those instead. Even if both work equally, I would obviously prefer the safer of the two.
Guess I need to do more reading...so many mixed suggestions.

AJS,
Reactions: KeroZen
It's not the battery that determines the current, it's the load. The load being fixed here, and basically a "simple" resistance, it doesn't matter as long as the cell you use can provide the required amps plus a safety margin. You need that margin for two reasons: the first is to make sure you are not constantly at the designed discharge rate limit, as it would lower the battery life. The second is that the discharge rate of the cell will lower as it ages and its internal resistance increases, so if it's too close to the actual load to start with, it could be exceeded when the cell gets old.

As of now the current recommendation is: any IMR cell able to output 20A continuously (not peak) Beware of cells that claim more than 20A continuous, either they have a lower capacity or the figure is just plain false, especially if it's not labeled LG, Samsung or Sony.

The batteries in particular are authentic Sony vtc4's, they are 2100mah but 30a continuous drain, typically used in mods.

Thanks for the information, I'm admittedly ig'nant on these 18650's and most things electrical. I've got proper care and maintenance down (thanks to FC!), but need to bone up on all the various types and their applications. It can get pretty overwhelming!

Oh well, OGB or China will just start making M2Ms with a US on one side and ISO on the other for us. Kinda seems wrong since we all have so many iso pieces already?

A US male joint will work in a female iso joint but not vice versa, so the good news is there doesn't necessarily have to be one of each fitting.
parallel 18650

fuckcombustion.com/threads/dual-18650-power-house.19045

One day.. Forgive me if I got parallel and sequential mixed up.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
F
A US male joint will work in a female iso joint but not vice versa, so the good news is there doesn't necessarily have to be one of each fitting.

fuckcombustion.com/threads/dual-18650-power-house.19045

One day.. Forgive me if I got parallel and sequential mixed up.

Great, Well then look what I found!
Can anyone find a cheaper one? Maybe we should all get a bulk order together lol. I can buy a few to save on shipping for us, I am about to order 2.

https://www.ctechglass.com/CTech-30...Tw_cFyT5WaBr2tGjyPXJSG32qid0j9oEiwaAq6u8P8HAQ

And some cool mouthpiece ideas!
https://www.ctechglass.com/ctech-dr...rees-1922-joint-lab-glass-adapters-p-676.html

https://www.ctechglass.com/ctech-co...bent-105-deg-1922-joints-lab-glass-p-250.html

Last edited:
F

Great, Well then look what I found!
Can anyone find a cheaper one? Maybe we should all get a bulk order together lol. I can buy a few to save on shipping for us, I am about to order 2.

https://www.ctechglass.com/CTech-30...Tw_cFyT5WaBr2tGjyPXJSG32qid0j9oEiwaAq6u8P8HAQ

And some cool mouthpiece ideas!
https://www.ctechglass.com/ctech-dr...rees-1922-joint-lab-glass-adapters-p-676.html

https://www.ctechglass.com/ctech-co...bent-105-deg-1922-joints-lab-glass-p-250.html

That page is full of all sorts of goodies! Good find.

After reading up on the differences between US ground joints I've found there are three different US ground joint lengths.. I think RBT is using "medium", but we'll have to wait for someone with a unit on hand to confirm.

This page offers a lot of useful information on the matter.

It appears the "US joint" sizes were more nonsense like us not going metric.. which is funny because our "US" joints are still in millimeters!!

For some reason 'murica loves flipping the bird to these guys: International Organization of Standardization (ISO) resulting in our creation of obscure joint sizes and the imperial system of measurement as well as a slew of minor inconveniences.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think you may have it backwards. I own 5 dhgate pieces, and several adapters. All are iso jointed, from yingmin, steven lmz and sunshine store.
Well, no, I am exactly right, at least in my case. YMMV but if you look at any of the adapter pics I have posted, like in the Zion thread, my SS store and Steven M2Ms and mouthpieces are all US. Even the UFO MP is US. I have gotten a couple bowls (that I will never use) that are ISO and one 18mm/14mm adapter, but the rest are all US. But, like I say, YMMV...

Well, no, I am exactly right, at least in my case. YMMV but if you look at any of the adapter pics I have posted, like in the Zion thread, my SS store and Steven M2Ms and mouthpieces are all US. Even the UFO MP is US. I have gotten a couple bowls (that I will never use) that are ISO and one 18mm/14mm adapter, but the rest are all US. But, like I say, YMMV...

I must be unlucky! I checked again, all my adapters are ISO. I was wrong about Stevenlmz (at least on my fc278) his joints all appear to be US. My Hyman banger is also oddly short jointed but very short..

Can you provide a measurement of the length of the joint?

nondarb,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
ISO is 19/26 and US is 19/22. The 19 is actually 18.8, but folks just call it 18 or 19. We don't need no stinkin decimal point...

I have only seen the US "middle" size used of the US sizes. I wish for consistency there was only one standard. I knew nothing about them before getting my Zion. The only reason it matters on the Zion is that the joint terminates at the heater screen, and if too long the joint doesn't sit flush. This is also why RBT has forbidden the Arizer screens with the metal rim, because it lengthens the joint and could damage the heater screen. It probably won't but there is enough concern to make a point about it and discourage their use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom