Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Sorry all, but I got rid of all my PV stuff. I'm all about short stock glass and Alan's wooden stems. Both are equally awesome, and it's currently all I have (currently I own 4 Mi's and about 20 stems, 30 batteries, zero VAS).

Lately, I've been all about WOOD. I built three custom pieces (an under 'wall hung TV" stand, an end table / desk that will accommodate all my computer, drawing, study supplies, as well as provide ample safe, discreet herbal / vape logistics.

Something has definitely come from all this as far as learning about how to get the most out of Mi. When I'm in the shop, I'm so wrapped up in what I'm doing that I forget about the stem. It will sit for 5, 10, 30 minutes. I feel I end up wasting a lot of material this way. I'll wind up getting five or six nice hits with stirring every time.

On the other hand, on my couch last night, nailed all the variables on load size, grind, distance from screen, tamp. blah blah blah, and I got the loaves and fishes situation going on for about 20 hits. I didn't even rotate. This bad boy just baked the whole load evenly to deep black without combusting.

I truly believe that the Mi performs best in a relative non-stop situation, especially if you can nail down every variable. I found I was trying to hard, that is loading heavy to get the load to last. The reverse happens as the load winds up too close the the oven and some minor charring kind ruins everything (shortens the session). Next, I wind up loading too light, the load last about five hits. Finally, I pull a Mama bear, just right, and I got the endless marathon session that extracted every last high drop of THC from my cannabis. It was actually quite remarkable.

Anyway, excuse my absence from FC, but I've found a passion in carpentry that is occupying a lot of my free time. It's so fitting that I'm standing in pile of maple and cherry sawdust, sipping on Mi. I hope to combine my two passions, not sure how just yet, but with the skills I'm developing, and the shop I'm putting together, something is brewing for sure...

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
I was just reading about broken glass...

I was loading the short stem and then....fumble.

Shit shattered magnificently on the floor sending glass shards in every direction!

I really liked that stem...r.i.p. :rip:

bLVmCxs.jpg

AJS

Calm Consistency
I was just reading about broken glass...
That's your issue right there man :(
At least the weed stayed in the stem! "our bowls are so tight, break the stem and your load is still packed, what's the use? none, but we don't care"

^^^ We're all here for you in your time of need @WakeAndVape .
:sherlock:

Thanks...I'm just trying to hold back the tears.
I may or may not have shed a few when I saw your post
Amber backup though ... could be worse!

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
So disappointed that when I bought my 2nd unit it only came with a long stem. I have a couple gongs I'd use till I got a replacement if my shorty broke (including a 14mm I occasionally use w/out bubbler), but I'd be pretty upset.

So far I've only broken 2 things this year. And Airizer Air plastic tip stem I was trying to get the screen out of to use in my Mi stem because I drunkenly misplaced that. And a enano gong that sort of jammed as I was pulling it out and then it went but got dropped because of the initial stick.

beiberhole69,

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
could be worse!
Get out of my head!!!:rofl:that kind of thinking got me here in the first place! :mental:

Thank goodness @mephisto has my back!

@KeroZen...question. if my milaana runs hotter with the washers removed what's the deal and is it safe to do so?

I figure it is...and I think it just means the spring may be getting depressed over time

GFrcO7m.jpg

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@KeroZen...question. if my milaana runs hotter with the washers removed what's the deal and is it safe to do so?

pq4f88beee.jpg

Yes it might be what you suspect. But this would mean that a lot of us are experiencing unknowingly sub-par performance due to high contact resistance.

In mine I counter-screwed the post harder than usual once for good and it seems to stay secure since. Might be my imagination but it seems my copper lid is not getting as warm as before.

Unfortunately my device is very erratic since the accident. I'm afraid the shock damaged the heating element inside. At some point I only had a very focused hot spot in my load, whereas it was way more uniform previously. I was really despaired and yesterday I tried a bit of gentle "percussive maintenance" and the two sessions afterwards were closer to normal yet not perfect either...

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I had 2 washers on top before and my lid was getting super hot. Took one off, so I just have 1 under the plate and 1 below it and my plate only gets hot occasionally now as compared to every time.

I think performance is decreased with bad contact but it can vary in how much.

Of course I could be completely wrong

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@KeroZen I'm surprised you haven't gutted it yet and fixed it?

@muunch I thought my cooler running unit was all in my head too and was starating to think I was only sometime making a connection when pressing the button (like @AJS suspected was the case with his), but then I tried my OG Mi and realized it was outperforming the newer one...

So I thought it was my copper lid which appeared to be scratched from constant movement on battery wrap plastic.

But just switching them made no difference.

When I removed two of the washers, leaving only one it started to produce vapor faster and more consistently

I was thinking the spring may have weakened and to try to lift it...

But if it is the spring will starting a trend of constantly having to lift it up cause the metal of the clip to get weak and break over time?

Are the washers there to prevent any sort of damage? I'm electronically and technically ignorant about the science of this device so forgive me if this sounds elementary

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Oh, I'm not worried about the resistance. I'm worried about the leverage provided by the washers both on top and below the copper plate. It definitely has to do with the spring getting compressed, at least in my unit.

While I did lift it, the copper plate and nut were getting really really hot. Albeit I'm taking 10+ second drags thru my bubbler and ddave wand. But still, it seemed like my battery was getting drained faster.

I'm not an engineer and don't know specifics of circuits etc but idk. Seems like the connection and the copper is acting as a heatsink and sapping that from what would go to the heater.

Whether this is possible or I'm just really baked is up for debate

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
If people are concerned about a change in resistance due to extra washers why not remove them and replace them with plastic washers ?
I'm with @muunch on that. I don't think the material the washers are made from is the issue either.

Spring compression is key for my theory too.

The bigger concern is if removing the washers fixes the problem...is it just creating a bigger problem?

Or would constantly having to decompress the spring be worse on the unit?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
@WakeAndVape yep. Same. I'm going to sell this unit at some point to buy a walnut Mil and don't want to give someone a finicky device.

I pulled the spring up a bit more, then moved the washers back to 2 on top and 1 below and it seems to be ok? I squished the battery a bit too to try and even it out. Not sure if any of this makes sense. I'll be interested to see what Ryan has to say, just so I can be as safe as possible.

Anyway, I told @AJS I'd upload a video at some point, but i never said it'd be good. Wanted to hide my face but seems that took priority over every othee aspect. Regardless I'll try and upload when I can

Okay so... Gfycat cut it short 1 sec :(

Https://Vid.me/csWF

Last edited:

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
But if it is the spring will starting a trend of constantly having to lift it up cause the metal of the clip to get weak and break over time?
On the spring issue, I have shared the above concern, and I have actually added washers as shared by a member in this thread. That way I am able to make contact while compressing the spring the least amount possible. Since doing that, I don't think I have had a spring issue at all.

I recommend people consider cleaning the post and inside of the washers as well as the hole on the copper lid and the threads on any other washers you might have added. I don't recall who mentioned this initially in this thread, but I think that was a key learning for me to keep my milaanas in top working condition. I have found that a dirty post and washers (even if they don't look dirty, the paper towel will) can have a dramatic impact on performance.

When I have clean threads, the copper lid never gets hot. It might get warm with extended use but only on a low battery. Otherwise it always stays cool to the touch. Dirty threads lead to some level of warmth on the lid sometimes, but still never hot.

The bigger concern is if removing the washers fixes the problem...is it just creating a bigger problem?
From my experience, if it is in fact a spring problem, then my guess would be yes. That is why I went in the opposite direction of adding washers.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Mine seems to be fine for now.

How do you clean the washers and thread? I put some vinegar on a paper towel and wiped the copper plate and that may have contributed as well.

Last edited:

Cl4ud3

Mine seems to be fine for now.

How do you clean the washers and thread? I put some vinegar on a paper towel and wiped the copper plate and that may have contributed as well.
You could use ISO to clean the washers and thread, the heat sink top can be kept dirty as it doesn't add to any circuit, the main bit to clean would be where it touches the battery and where it touches the post. A good clean hole and pin should make a big difference.

BadDog No

Over on the Grasshopper thread a cleaning product called Bluetac (or a similar imitator) is highly recommended for thread cleaning. It's made a big difference for a lot of folks in reducing heat. No personal experience but you could do a search. Might have to get some soon for my "about to be shipped just anytime 'Hopper" anyway so probably good maintenance tip for Milaana as well.

Shannock

pq4f88beee.jpg

Yes it might be what you suspect. But this would mean that a lot of us are experiencing unknowingly sub-par performance due to high contact resistance.

In mine I counter-screwed the post harder than usual once for good and it seems to stay secure since. Might be my imagination but it seems my copper lid is not getting as warm as before.

Unfortunately my device is very erratic since the accident. I'm afraid the shock damaged the heating element inside. At some point I only had a very focused hot spot in my load, whereas it was way more uniform previously. I was really despaired and yesterday I tried a bit of gentle "percussive maintenance" and the two sessions afterwards were closer to normal yet not perfect either...
You could use ISO to clean the washers and thread, the heat sink top can be kept dirty as it doesn't add to any circuit, the main bit to clean would be where it touches the battery and where it touches the post. A good clean hole and pin should make a big difference.

Cleaning the post is bang-on this was mentioned by @TheRobbo a while back. At the time my tab and thumbscrew were getting almost uncomfortably hot but this cured it instantly and has now been added to my regular cleaning routine.

:peace:

AJS

Calm Consistency
All this spring pressure talk makes me need to re mention the fact that a few of us have removed the washers altogether and replaced them with a machine nut. Lid is level with the battery and only touches enough to guarantee power.

With that said ... Is the fact that this machine nut is thicker changing the resistance? Am I getting weaker contact as a result? I have yet to try this unit with stock washers, I swapped them out instantly with a machine nut, so if going back to stock could add heat i wouldn't be opposed. Hmmmmm.

@WakeAndVape
That amber pic is insane dude, very very cool.

@muunch
Awesome setup! Piece looks so smooth and I love the ambiance of your station, haha. Good vid!

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Cleaning the post is bang-on this was mentioned by @TheRobbo a while back. At the time my tab and thumbscrew were getting almost uncomfortably hot but this cured it instantly and has now been added to my regular cleaning routine.

:peace:

Thanks for the info. I've never had any problems, no hot copper door or anything. Never done a cleaning ever on the base unit. Wonder how those parts can get so "dirty" that they're causing such an issue... It's interesting and good to know for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom