Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Get your coil to the glowing point, drop your stem in and immediately press the button again and start drawing, it will make the temp climb much faster.
This sounds scary as shit, haha. I checked for a glow once, then like 5 seconds later proceeded to hit as normal, forgetting that I just heated my heater to heavenly hell, and that was a gnarly hit. Won't be doing that very often lol. Didn't combust, but, whew.

I'll check the glow of both my Milaanas with a timer here petty soon, just haven't gotten around to it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
FWIW I am pretty sure the trigger shouldn't be held down longer than 5sec without drawing (might be in the manual?) so holding it down to check for a glow could void the warranty as it will continue to rise in temp and could char the wood (which could be cause of a bad smell for sure). I know I've never really seen the glow myself but never had an issue with heat and felt no need to check beyond that limit...

GTAVaper

FWIW I am pretty sure the trigger shouldn't be held down longer than 5sec without drawing (might be in the manual?) so holding it down to check for a glow could void the warranty as it will continue to rise in temp and could char the wood (which could be cause of a bad smell for sure). I know I've never really seen the glow myself but never had an issue with heat and felt no need to check beyond that limit...

I think the manual says 5-15 sec preheat - nope......3 to 5 sec preheat.....but then again the hotter units will glow in about 5s.....whereas the cooler ones might take up to 15s for the same glow ......so maybe the manual was written with the hotter units in mind?

However the draw .......while hitting the button...... is from 5-15 secs in duration

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Took the words right out of my mouth bro. Holding the button to preheat is one thing, but holding it just to watch it glow is not how the device is intended to be used, and imo is asking for trouble.

Stick yer erb in & vape it ffs, it's not a freakin light show! ;)

If it works, it works. Enjoy it! :2c:

Eazy everybody peepz.
:peace:

DocGonzo

I don't see how the intention matters much here if they were still within a reasonable preheat time frame. I wonder if the smell was just wood or something else. Burning wax smell doesn't exactly make me think charred untreated wood.

kimura

held the button for no more than 10 seconds. I was in a pitch black closet. I've abused it more during normal use, as my unit runs cool.

does not smell like charred wood at all. we'll see.

EDIT: I'm going to be totally honest with RBT and will let you know if they void my lifetime warranty LOL

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey, I'm not saying you in particular abused it, I'm just saying in general, if you aren't vaping, don't power it up. It is intended to be used with herb in the chamber & after a short preheat you should be drawing on it. People should be aware of that.

I have had my Zion's for quite some time now (sorry) & I have never leant on the button just to see what happens.

If Meth had a vape way back in the 36 Chambers, I'm pretty sure he'd of said 'Load that shit, heat that shit, vape it' :)

But it's early daze, and I doubt you even got a manual with it in the first place, so my guess is Ryan will see you good.

I ain't scolding!

Love y'all
:peace:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I remember doing burn offs in beta Zion after a friend drooled down in it, no matter what I've never seen the coil glow in Zion or Milaana through the screens. It is still working, I don't think the glow is paramount here. With the high surface area of the heater, the point is it doesn't need to be so hot to glow. I'd suggest drawing slower if you feel you need it to glow maybe :2c::peace:

grokit

well-worn member
Mine might be one of the cool ones, it always needs a 10-15 second preheat to get going from a cold start even with a fresh battery. Because of this, I feel that I may be changing batteries too often.

I just did the glow test with a fresh battery, it took 8-9 seconds to start visibly glowing in a darkish room. edit: It falls off to about 12 seconds by the third try. I got a whiff of something unpleasant the first time, now the smell is gone so I'm hoping that smell was just something that needed to burn off.

It still works quite well :tup:

Last edited:

ApparentlyStoned

When life gives you lemons, lemon tek
http://imgur.com/lct1vZJ
I cut down my broken short stem. I couldn't make it any taller unfortunately. It's actually isn't too bad. Hotter of course. It has me coughing more. A little taller would be better. I was hoping it would look like an e-cig. It's actually pretty pocketable too. Who's planning on making shorter stems? It's seems like a option.

kimura

No worries @VegNVape, I sounded defensive but was really just trying to specify exactly what I did. The battery wasn't full...It wasn't that excessive, honest. 9-10 seconds? Having said that, I don't think I'll be repeating that particular test when I'm back up and running

Alas, I'll just have to go find comfort in the arms of another for now

EDIT: lol, I sounded defensive again.... You get the point... Cheers

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
A few thoughts from a Milaana lover

As I sit home this evening, after a busy and productive day, sipping on my Milaana (BamBam), I can't help my reflect on my vaping experience (or inexperience). From one vape to the next, search, thinking I found it, until one day, along comes Milaana.

An original masterpiece, beautiful, majestic, and oh so game changing. No longer did I have to cook herb to imbibe. I could now hit a button on this cool block of wood, sip from a big fat glass stem, and the milky nectar of the cannabis gods would flow into my mouth and coat my lungs, as my body reveled in the rush of blissful relaxation.

Then the bottom fell out, literally, the bottom plate fell off and I panicked. It was the only thing between having and not having a functioning Mi, so I glued it back on. The bottom plate is nowhere near airpath, and doesn't really get too hot. Bingo, back in business.

Something happened and I lost that perfect sweet spot of slow suction and button trigger. Maybe the heater had an issue, maybe it was me, dirty stems, who knows, but before I could get 100% again, the glass female broke into pieces, and I was one sad pothead. I managed to get my hands on a glass tube (THE glass tube), and epoxied the mother back in. I must have damaged the heater further, because it was all downhill from there.

I bought Mi #2 from RBT. Go it in about one month, missed the Mi so much, but Mi #2 had recessed glass, a fancy screen, a seemed a bit hotter. I kept charring. Damn, I had the sweet spot of Mi 1, so it kinda ruined me for Mi 2 for about two weeks, and then, bingo once again. I just keep getting deeper into the sweet spot on Mi 2, getting dense clouds, taste, effect, efficiency, battery efficiency, no rush, no session, always ready, did I say best taste ever, super stealth, disappears in my hand. literally same color as my hand.

Disaster once again, Mi #2 cracked, but... still works great. As a matter of fact, I'm sipping on BamBam right now. Mi 3 (Pandora), is in protective custody, not to be disturbed until Mi 1 comes home from RBT, all fixed. She travels upstate all alone tomorrow. Wish her luck.

In the meantime, was trying to sell some stuff, blah, blah, blah, I wound up with a Mi 4 deal. Here's the twist, Mi 4 is an original, and I am psyched. Mi 1 ,2, 3 will all be recessed, I want to own an original. Think about it, I'll name her Milky, and she'll be one of a kind.

I must be Milaana'ed....

Last edited:

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
pmYsGAh.jpg

UeUmVBg.jpg

I needed to to to the hardware store today to get more of the nut pictured here.

If anyone's curious its a 6-32 machine screw nut, in brass.

#6 flat brass washer.

It makes the battery fit more evenly and snugly as well as helps the copper plate higher to clear the female glass on the unit i have which is not recessed.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
It makes the battery fit more evenly and snugly as well as helps the copper plate higher to clear the female glass on the unit i have which is not recessed.
You bring up a good point. Many have referred to their Milaana as having recessed glass but I do not believe there is a Milaana that I have seen posted that actually looked recessed. Flush or within .5mm I have seen and is how my second Milaana is. Does anyone actually have a recessed female in their Milaana? Or were we just calling the flush design recessed because it recessed the glass female from the original design to be flush with the wood?

Oogendoogan

You bring up a good point. Many have referred to their Milaana as having recessed glass but I do not believe there is a Milaana that I have seen posted that actually looked recessed. Flush or within .5mm I have seen and is how my second Milaana is. Does anyone actually have a recessed female in their Milaana? Or were we just calling the flush design recessed because it recessed the glass female from the original design to be flush with the wood?
I have an in between unit. Came right before first planet vape units shipped. The glass is lower than the new ones forsure, and I love it :) check my avatar for reference.
Will post another pic later that one makes it look like the new ones but mine is lower
Edit: it is still flush.. Lol it's like almost under.. Lowest I've seen.

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I have an in between unit. Came right before first planet vape units shipped. The glass is lower than the new ones forsure, and I love it :) check my avatar for reference.
Will post another pic later that one makes it look like the new ones but mine is lower
Edit: it is still flush.. Lol it's like almost under.. Lowest I've seen.
My second Milaana looks similar to yours (just about flush but not quite), however my first Milaana glass female is sticking out 4mm above the wood.

GTAVaper

well, I guess I jinxed myself. I was just doing the test in a dark room to see how long it took my heater to glow... as it started to glow, it started to smell (strongly), sorta like burning wax. now every time it heats up, the smell returns. it's not subtle, there's no way I'd try to hit it at this point.

there's no way anything got past the screen, I have the SS mesh ribbon stuffed underneath a fine SS screen that I installed myself. I never remove the screen, never used cotton or hemp as an intake filter. I installed the screen shortly after I received the unit in late April, and it's worked really reliably the entire time with no smell until just now.

going to send it back to RBT for repair. oh well, that's what a warranty is for. that's also what having multiple excellent vapes is for.

not really that upset or even surprised given the fact that it's a new product and I got an early unit, just thought I owed you all an update given my recent enthusiasm. will report back when I have something to report

My Milaana has the outer lip of the 19mm female glass recessed into the wood body but still stands proud of the wood by about 1mm or so.

However, I do see a thick bead of white glue running around the top of the joint .....except where there is a gap where the air inlet is located.

Absolutely no smell, and I'm not suggesting anything unsafe about it since it isn't in the air path and I've never caught a hint of any strange smell or taste.

But, I was thinking that IF a small piece of this bead were to detach and drop nearer to the heater then maybe it might be heated past its high temp rating and/or potentially become located near the air path inlet.

Perhaps this might explain the suddenly strange smell ....since nothing is going to get inside that wasn't already there.....but perhaps now that "nothing" has shifted into contact with a heat source?

Just completely pure speculation on my part .......but maybe a few burn offs would be a good thing?

After all it is just heated mesh steel, making it glow or not is just a function of the energy put into it.....and it isn't a bright red glow that might indicate that any changes to the steel are taking place.... (grew up with welder's in the family).

When I tried it that once, where I purposefully stood in a dark room and stared at the heater looking for any signs of red as I hit the trigger - after I could visibly make out a dull red glow coming off the heater (at about 10secs) I released right away.

I sure was not looking to try to see how red I could get it.

But it didn't seem like it was climbing in brightness very quickly ......which kind of relates to the flattened power/heating curve relationship.

So my speculation would be that maybe when you leaned on the power for that long that this might have caused the glass to expand with heat and perhaps let a small flake of glue pop off and somehow get near the heater.

If you are going to warranty it anyways....then perhaps a few batteries worth of burn offs might diminish the smell....or burn it off completely? I would stop after every 10 seconds of button though and if it doesn't seem to be clearing up then probably no point in proceeding for longer.

Just my :2c:

Later Edit:

You know......I am really, really loving this Milaana.

My, "Oh My Mi" :cool:

The need for a stir can be a bit of a pain - and if you have a small dedicated bowl it probably is easier to just dump (quick swirl with end of crotchet hook while hot) and then suck it up again through the stem and tamp it back into place with a wooden dowel (from my Underdog toolkit :))

But the instant-on ease of use through a water bubbler works incredibly well ......fastest vape I have to get viable and satisfying vapour.

But a Milaana, IMHO, is always going to be a personal vape for me .......except perhaps for a few close friends and a future GF/Ms.GTAVaper :lol: as I really don't have the patience to monitor others experimental usage and be perpetually worried about having to clean out my glass pieces after a combustion incident caused by an inexperienced user.

I really fucking hate cleaning up and getting rid of combustion smells/tastes after enjoying a combustion free existence for a while now. The stench of combustion is sickening to me now.

Anyways......really loving the Milaana now. I think that the Milaana, Venus Apollo & Supreme V3 are my Holy Trinity of Vapes ATM........we will see if that changes with my incoming Grasshopper.

But in any case, I enjoy my various vapes for different occasions/uses and don't regret having owned any vape that is in my signature and enjoy using them all very much :)

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hey guys, I said I'd do some testing with the yellow batteries in comparison to the green. As I posted earlier, this was the results with the green:
Two bowls - 4.07
three bowls - 4.01
four bowls - 3.96
five bowls - 3.91
six bowls - 3.83
eight bowls - 3.7

These are the results with the yellow
One bowl - 4.11
Two bowls - 4.04
Three bowls - 3.96
Four bowls - 3.92
Five bowls - 3.88
Six bowls - 3.77 (the power dropped off intensely during this bowl, moreso than the green from what I recall)
Seven bowls - 3.73 (didn't want to go any lower and wouldn't in normal circumstances)

I would say the Green Samsung 25R run stronger throughout the session and don't hit as extreme of a dropoff point like the HE4's. They just seem overall stronger throughout. More testing will need to commence though!

GTAVaper

Wow, I am getting around three bowls on multiple battery types......and just not being satisfied with the performance of the fourth bowl - so far with both LG HB4's and LG HG2's....but also currently testing VTC5's and older blue Samsung 25R's.

I am tracking the voltage drops and performance quirks and will post results later.

Perhaps I am preheating and having a longer bowl warmup time than what would be necessary with a hotter running Milaana? Thereby going through more battery power?

However, I do like the ease of control that a slower heater also adds to the equation.....it takes just a little longer to screw up and reach combustion.

So maybe not such a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom