The Picture Thread

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Screenshot-20231207-073745-X.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
United States of America, 2023 colorized

GAtdhkbXIAA5Z3W

Going back in time to August of 2001. Showing this picture to young me and immediately melting my brain.

So many garbage people. It's quite unnerving that they exist, and largely because they vote.
We really, REALLY have to vote this shit out of existence! Lest, many of us may be looking for better lives across the pond before too long. Unfortunately I have the privilege to pull that off (maybe, if I save every penny and pull every string I can). Many other more marginalized people would not be so lucky if he gets in power again.

ChooChooCharlie

Hope readers are not too annoyed by my art fetish posts. Here's another...

Christmas gift to myself. Fell in love with the trippy colors and "action" within this Pecoff oil painting. Big fella. I can see Point Loma from my windows, so that helps me rationalize the purchase

Shining-Light-of-Point-Loma.jpg

Edit: found this pic in his book

Grant-Pecoff-w-Shining-Light-of-Point-Loma.jpg

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

I have poor self control around the holidays

Bought this one today, but artist and canvas are in Hawaii, so I must be patient. Cue up Carly Simon's Anticipation

Cathedrals-of-Na-Pali-with-random-photo.jpg

Thought he was exaggerating the landscape, but not by much. Did quick image search for Na Pali coast -- otherworldly. I cropped a random image and put it next to the painting image. Matches up fairly well, even the tiny waterfall. Something about the flowing blues and greens makes it vibrate. BTW, you can buy canvas or metal prints of the original oils I bought. (he hasn't updated his Pecoff.com shop to mark the oils as sold) Wonder if our fearless mod @pakalolo has paddled by this coast?

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Point Loma, earlier this evening

Pecoff caught similar orange-red color fields in his Point Loma painting, a few posts prior

Point-Loma-at-sunset-from-balcony.jpg

(the 71 is on an aircraft carrier docked at Coronado naval base)

Edit:
Confession: I kept the "Coastal Reflections," hung in my apt

Coastal-Reflections-hung-today.jpg

Gave brother another Pecoff oil, "Lofts on Cedar" which shows his condo building in background. Hung it Saturday, appropriate home for it, can see Cedar St and lofts from this view, almost mirror like

Lofts-on-Cedar-hung-in-La-Vita.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt...I remember way back in the day, I boarded the USS Coronado from that same dock for a week around San Clemente Island for helicopter flight ops. I was part of the helicopter squadron assigned to that short detachment as part of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron, HC-1, stationed at NAS Coronado... @ChooChooCharlie I was in one of the two big hangars you can see from across the bay from Shelter Isalnd.

Edit, found a pic of the hangars, my work home for 3 years in the early '90's....Point Loma in the background.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Helicopters! Thank you for your service! Scary shit, more than I can handle. Woodworker friend broke his back jumping from a copter during SEAL training

Can't resist another sunset pic of the Bay, it's a visual treat this time of year, and must obey picture thread posting rules

SD-Bay-sunset-from-balcony.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I took a four-mile hike out along a river in a national forest this morning to see a place I heard about called the "blue pool". Apparently a lava flow covered part of the river a long time ago, and the river now flows underground through the lava rock, and exits here. It's super blue (my pics below just don't show how goddamn blue it really is in person!).

This was what I found! It's beautiful. And it's so crystal clear that the depth is deceiving. It's really over 30-feet deep, even though it looks like it's just several feet. Oh, and though jumping in is popular here sometimes, I don't recommend it unless you have wetsuit gear.. Apparently the water stays around 37F year-around (part of why it stays so clear, because not a lot lives in that), and people have died from drowning after the shock of jumping into the colder-than-expected water here which causes them to gasp and inhale water without being able to control it.

IMG-4236.jpg

It's bigger than it looks. Here is a pic I took of my brother who climbed down to the edge of the pool (I was too lazy to do the climb) to show scale:
IMG-4239.jpg

And Here's another wider panoramic shot I took from a different spot that shows the river that flows out of the pool (the river we hiked along to get here):
IMG-4227.jpg

All in all, it was a really beautiful place that I definitely intend to return to in the spring when all the colors are in full bloom and the water is flowing strongly!

Last edited:
Top Bottom