Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

lowkee00

I am going to put this as a learning curve error. My wax might have been too hard and the typical hairdryer could not advance it down the tube. I apparently just got my flame too close and while it appears to be strong oil, it's "scorched." and horrid tasting.

fwiw, once it did loosen up and drain, i really had to prime none to achieve a good solid vapor stream with the 5.0 ohm cartridge and the 7.4 battery. To note. the 7.4 and and 5.0 ohm cartridges should not use more that any 2.4 ohm of old.

braboftw

hey guys I dont have time to look through all the pages but I'm part of the original hercules order and I was wondering if the replacement ready yet? Thanks!

braboftw,

thevaf

I am not sure if this was explicitly stated by G (and I read through pages 418-422 when it was officially announced), but will the SR-71 work with the 7.4 HVD Omicron? Delta9 site only specifies the voltage required, I assume its Persei only but I wanted to double check since its not clearly stated on the product page.

Edit: what got me confused are the product reviews from the past on the Hercules SR-71 page. One of the reviews states:

Omicron V2 and HVD are the Bomb!!!
IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Gary S. Irvin on 21st Nov 2012
I just got the HVD kit for my Omicron. I love it. I now just have to get some higher resistance cartridges. May I ask if the hercules will work with the HVD now that it is the higher voltage? I do not want to order it if it will not work, but it soulds like exactly what i need.

thevaf,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
I am going to put this as a learning curve error. My wax might have been too hard and the typical hairdryer could not advance it down the tube. I apparently just got my flame too close and while it appears to be strong oil, it's "scorched." and horrid tasting.

If you were using a torch to melt the wax, maybe next time use a BIC lighter.. I used a torch my first time, burnt the oil, and never went back. The BIC lighter (if held close enough to only use the BLUE part of the flame) will provide a more gradual increase in temperature, and in turn will be easier to control and not burn the oil.

SlinginPaint,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Our philosophy is to improve and always strive to go forward. We use the ceramic heaters instead of the more industry standard heating wire design for many reasons.

Theory:

We know that heating wire is the industry standard and because it’s the easiest type to research it is also the fastest way to make vapor clouds. It might be the easiest and fastest but it is not the best when it comes to vaporizing. Vaporization is best when the heat is applied equally to your material as to raise the temperature to the point of vaporization and not the point of combustion, With heating wires or coil designs flash vaporization is the process that instantly vaporizes the essential oil. This works wonders if you can control the temperature, but since this is not the case and that heating wires glow red hot within a second or two what this means is oil is also burning along with being vaporized, how you may ask, well hold the button long enough and it will get the burn't taste, well this is what is called a hybrid smoke/vapor. Many if not all herbal vaporizers use a heater that brings the temperature to a point of vaporization why can’t we use the same with essential oil vaporizers? Well like we said easiest way is on/off method with the heating wire type vaporizers or you can strive with us for something revolutionary that takes some getting used to, but it does provide you with better results.

Our Reasoning.

Almost all the herbal vaporizers increase the temperature steadily until it is where it needs to be for vaporizing herbs, why can’t we use it with oils? Well we can but we will get to that in a few, for now let’s talk about our cartridges, with our cartridge design we started an industry that is now populated with more knock offs and rebrands of the same device or design than any other industry, ok so moving on we noticed that while oil was being vaporized it was also slightly burning if pressed for too long and the residue left behind even on clean essential oils was that of oils being burned. That is why many manufacturers if not all will ask you to boil it, ISO baths, and even torch sessions to burn off everything the heater cant vaporize. This is the issue with pen style vaporizers they use heaters that are built for the ecig industry that are used for vaporizing liquid that is a lot more viscous easier to wick up and lower vaporizing temps. Users in the ecig industry do not use a 10-30 second pulls as the essential oil market does, this is the reason why these types of heaters don’t work well in the essential oil industry. Taking this into consideration we thought about it and decided what if we can build an essential oil vaporizer that is not the industry standard but the future of the industry. Well that is big dream from a little company because of many others going against evolution with their glass rods, better parts (polish a turd it’s still a turd we say) or claims of being the best bla bla bla bla bla bla. Well we are going to try at least. All units no matter what will leave residue some you can clean some you can try to clean. When this residue is left behind and its being cooked over and over again, this is creating smoke not vapor with many other harmful elements all mixed with your vapor aka hybrid vapor (smoke/vapor). Now why would anyone want to vaporize but settle for hybrid vapor?

Our Solution.

The solution is the Hercules Sr-71, with the Sr we have removed all heating wires, what this does is not just go against the industry standard and push the envelope but also increases performance, vapor quality, quantity, and best of all a device that is built from the ground up to vaporize oils and not a cross over from the electronic cigarette market.

1.We removed the ecig type heaters thus removing any hybrid vapor (temp is user controlled now)
2.We removed the silica wick and or glass rods ( for a small few who think it’s a glass rod )
3.We removed all solder
4.We removed all wires of any kind. ( No more ni-chrome 80 wire)
5.We removed all silicone
6.We also added an option for a Nibbler XL (no more drops of water to cool it down)
7.We use only quality parts that we sourced for the Hercules
8.Built tough to withstand daily use.

Simply put the Hercules Sr – 71 is everything that vapor enthusiast needs.

1.You can load as you go if you wish,
2.You can have pre - loaded tanks or coils,
3.You can load a gram easily
4.You can recover all your oil
5.You can boil it, or iso bath it.
6.You can service your own device so no more down time.
7.1 Year warranty against manufacturers defects ( including heater )

Now going to Bobs video at around 1:20 you will see the vapor double if not triple. This is a nice method we see Bob discovering.

I am not sure if this was explicitly stated by G (and I read through pages 418-422 when it was officially announced), but will the SR-71 work with the 7.4 HVD Omicron? Delta9 site only specifies the voltage required, I assume its Persei only but I wanted to double check since its not clearly stated on the product page.

Edit: what got me confused are the product reviews from the past on the Hercules SR-71 page. One of the reviews states:

Omicron V2 and HVD are the Bomb!!!
IcoRating5.gif

Posted by Gary S. Irvin on 21st Nov 2012
I just got the HVD kit for my Omicron. I love it. I now just have to get some higher resistance cartridges. May I ask if the hercules will work with the HVD now that it is the higher voltage? I do not want to order it if it will not work, but it soulds like exactly what i need.

You need a Persei to make the Herc work.

hey guys I dont have time to look through all the pages but I'm part of the original hercules order and I was wondering if the replacement ready yet? Thanks!

We will announce replacements in a few weeks or end of month the latest if all goes well.

tsc.v8

Let me mention that I am not anti-THC Scientific. Nor am I about to claim that the Persei or it's accessories/attachments aren't good enough. I own a Persei and I am looking forward to the SR-71. Still...

Does anyone else wonder why the "Technology" and "Science" pages of THC Scientific's web site both say only "Page Under Construction?" Also, a whopping 10% of corporate profits go back into R & D? This seems like a low amount to spend on improving your products (to me). Consider, in addition, the price of the Persei and the other products that are sold for it, and I think the motive of this company may be less a quest to design and produce the best product, and more of a profit-driven venture. I am extremely far from having all of the information, of course, but that's how it seems to me. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong.

Forgive me if I have offended anyone - I was just hoping to hear some other opinions.

tsc.v8,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
Let me mention that I am not anti-THC Scientific. Nor am I about to claim that the Persei or it's accessories/attachments aren't good enough. I own a Persei and I am looking forward to the SR-71. Still...

Does anyone else wonder why the "Technology" and "Science" pages of THC Scientific's web site both say only "Page Under Construction?" Also, a whopping 10% of corporate profits go back into R & D? This seems like a low amount to spend on improving your products (to me). Consider, in addition, the price of the Persei and the other products that are sold for it, and I think the motive of this company may be less of a quest to design and produce the best product, and more of a profit-driven venture. I am extremely far from having all of the information, of course, but that's how it seems to me. I'm actually hoping someone can prove me wrong.

Forgive me if I have offended anyone - I was just hoping to hear some other opinions.
10% R&D budget is typical for a non high tech company. A high value would be 15-18% max and that is mostly leading edge high tech companies. Believe me investors kill you if you don't keep that in check.

On their mission, I see nothing they have done to justify they are just for $$$. If they were they wouldn't be here answering questions. We don't know there margins so how can one say?
If they go broke and go out of business - how does that serve the common good?

A business's mission is to serve their market well AND make a profit. If they don't they wouldn't be around long...

Think apple and their support. My OS is 3 years old now and no support - end of life. To get new apps from them I must buy the new OS... Then the new OS needs new apps once again because compatibility is out the window.

I don't have any skin in this one, but from a 3rd party point of view I really don't see a reason to agree with what you said...

P.S. - what worries me about this issue is all this discussion could stop any chance of beta presales on new products or lawyers will be involved with disclaimers :) For early adopters beta tests are valuable. Also, I think it makes a better and quicker product. If the business doesn't have that opportunity for beta testing it would take much longer and slow the development. WEe all loose.

thevaf

Does anyone else wonder why the "Technology" and "Science" pages of THC Scientific's web site both say only "Page Under Construction?" Also, a whopping 10% of corporate profits go back into R & D? This seems like a low amount to spend on improving your products (to me). Consider, in addition, the price of the Persei and the other products that are sold for it, and I think the motive of this company may be less a quest to design and produce the best product, and more of a profit-driven venture. I am extremely far from having all of the information, of course, but that's how it seems to me. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong.

Prob because they are too busy "sciencing" instead of talking about it. Its no secret they are a small company with high aspirations. The company supports their product with unmatched warranties. You can call a number and speak with a person or you can walk in off the street to their office and they are glad to help you. They have representatives and the owner himself regularly engaging customers on public forums. They share new products directly by engaging their base, instead of using a website. So they pass the "sketchy company lookin to scam you" test for me. What's wrong with making a profit?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
On their mission, I see nothing they have done to justify they are just for $$$. If they were they wouldn't be here answering questions. We don't know there margins so how can one say?
If they go broke and go out of business - how does that serve the common good?

A business's mission is to serve their market well AND make a profit. If they don't they wouldn't be around long...
Being in business in today's financial environment takes a lot of balls!
The GRIT of DELTA NINE is a fine quality to have in order to deal with things of this nature.
I've been in involved in a few business start ups and it's no cake walk.
I fully agree with PhotoRiders assessment of the situation.

The fit and finish of their products are very high end.
The SR-71 is going to put this mess to bed!

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
To note. the 7.4 and and 5.0 ohm cartridges should not use more that any 2.4 ohm of old.

Huh What? No thats not correct. power in watts = V(oltage) in volts * I(current) in amps or V^2/R.

7.4V 5.0 ohm carts is almost twice the power of a 3.7V at 2.4 Ohm?

Power=V^2/R via ohms law....

5.7 watts for 2.4 at 3.7 and over 10 Watts for a 5.0 ohm at 7.4v.

The fit and finish of their products are very high end. The SR-71 is going to put this mess to bed!

I certainly hope so but I've heard this story before.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: ataxian

tsc.v8

It's good to know that the company and products are high-end. However, I have to insist that at least for me, or anyone like me, an explanation of the tech and science behind a product that goes for $200 seems like a reasonable expectation. If I'm investing $200 in something, I want to know everything about it. That's just the sort of person I am. You'd think they'd want to brag all about their "cutting edge" technology and the science behind it all, to make more money from people like me! :brow: Still, I am not unhappy with my Persei, and as you said, "the SR-71 is going to put this mess to bed!" So what's the difference if I don't know all of the "tech and science" involved? I'll just keep vapin' on!

tsc.v8,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
It's good to know that the company and products are high-end. However, I have to insist that at least for me, or anyone like me, an explanation of the tech and science behind a product that goes for $200 seems like a reasonable expectation. If I'm investing $200 in something, I want to know everything about it. That's just the sort of person I am. You'd think they'd want to brag all about their "cutting edge" technology and the science behind it all, to make more money from people like me! :brow: Still, I am not unhappy with my Persei, and as you said, "the SR-71 is going to put this mess to bed!" So what's the difference if I don't know all of the "tech and science" involved? I'll just keep vapin' on!

currently if it didnt go wrong last year it went wrong this year, our beloved web guy decided to rip us off, and never finish the projects and our concentration is on fixing our issues more then having a company site.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

However, I have to insist that at least for me, or anyone like me, an explanation of the tech and science behind a product that goes for $200 seems like a reasonable expectation. If I'm investing $200 in something, I want to know everything about it.

Boy, I sure can't agree that's a realistic expectation. Not for a $200 product, or a $2000 one. Did you get schematics with your IPhone? Source code with your Mac? Metallurgy reports with your new Lexis? Or even a clue what those '11 secret herbs and spices they sell you at KFC are? Or what goes into a glass of Coke?

Macy doesn't tell Gimball squat. Guys with IP go to great lengths to protect it, otherwise it has no value. NDAs and all that. I think the realistic expectation here is they will tell us what they want us to know......and only a small fraction of us will understand that?

OF

PhotoRider

Businesses really don't have to share trade secretes. That's why their trade secretes. Patents are little help also. What they really do is give everyone a complete description of the invention and how to try to break the claims. Many companies just keep them trade secret. I have defended two patents in court from an employee who went to the competition and copied our design. Isn't cheap and it takes time. Also they get to see every piece of equipment that has company info on it. If you keep work email on you person computer - guess what discovery...​
Not sure I agree with since it cost $200 they must explain the technology behind it - why?​
Think about it - bet you spent much more on that internet connected device you are using and I bet you know little about the trade secrets inside. Now go to Intel, Microsoft, Google, Apple, whoever and tell them you expect to be told the technology inside before you are willing to buy it? If the info on the web site of Intel is their technology I would stop breathing. Its all marketing bs. I know - every document Intel has given me over my career I have signed my life away. Every page has a huge watermark with my name, company name and contact info plus a note to call intel if found. Can't be copied or shown to anybody else. Plus prove it was destroyed when they require or returned. If you loose it - OMG.​
They have a warranty and a return policy if it doesn't meet their claims - isn't that cover it?​
Keep in mind there are only a few companies really trying to break the model and design a device for oils and not just reuse e-cig stuff. They are also all very small companies - par for the course. Large companies don't take those risks often, instead they wait and acquire startups that take the risk and make it... These small companies are doing us a service and there efforts create IP. They have the right to protect it to keep their hard work. Otherwise a large company comes down and steals it. They have the resources to defend themselves much more than a small company i.e the cost of justice in civil court. Been there done that.​
I firmly believe big companies seldom take large steps on new products even if they could. What they do is a planned roll out. First milk the current one until they see loss from competition, then deploy the next planned upgrade, the new and improved backlit DTV with 240HZ verses 120HZ even through it cost nothing more and just as easy to do 240 as 120...​
I have learned if you want to help the common person support small companies because they are risk takers and help drive change - good change. Also don't expect the same thing as you get from a large company - it works both ways :)
My opinion only...​

MaxVapor

The Professor
Wow, my internet goes out for 4 days and I come back to find the village in an uproar. Much has been said, and I can't say I have much to add to the SR71 debate. I think G's offer of a discount on the coils seems fair to me, and I do have a 7.4 Herc sitting unused since I bought it and lost a half gram to it (well, it's still sitting in there under the heater I guess) so I agree that the coils are probably an integral part of the solution.

In terms of the legitimacy of D9V, I won't pretend to know G better than some others on here. Being fortunate to live less than a half hour from the store, I have walked in off the street several times, talked with G at length, and even done some bartering with him. He has proven to be a man of his word, and from what I have seen his motivation is inventing cool shit, helping patients, and not about the money. I could be wrong, but I have dealt with some serious scammers in the past and I don't think that's what he is about. IMO of course.

If I'm investing $200 in something, I want to know everything about it.

Dude, you must be one seriously smart man (or woman). I gotta go with OF on this one, I am still trying to figure out the 11 secret herbs and spices.

tsc.v8

I can see that I stated things wrongly. After all, if I wanted to learn everything about the Persei I would be looking at schematics, etc. What I'd prefer is a mid-level explanation of how and why the device works. Just text would be fine in my case since I am not very spatially or visually oriented. I guess that's not going to happen, but it doesn't bother me as long as I know that the company can be trusted to produce high quality products and take care of customers. Why everyone thinks I want trade secrets I'm not sure.

tsc.v8,
Reactions: OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I can see that I stated things wrongly. After all, if I wanted to learn everything about the Persei I would be looking at schematics, etc. What I'd prefer is a mid-level explanation of how and why the device works. Just text would be fine in my case since I am not very spatially or visually oriented. I guess that's not going to happen, but it doesn't bother me as long as I know that the company can be trusted to produce high quality products and take care of customers. Why everyone thinks I want trade secrets I'm not sure.

Once we are done with majority of our projects or once we find a new web guy we will be updating the sites and getting everything in order.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I

It's great to get a direct answer quickly. Thank you for letting me know!

I try my best, but there is no secret on the technology, it is a straight forward design that has some beefed up technology thats about it, we can go and start writing some fancy words about it and try to sell you something with a sales pitch, but we rather just have the product sell for itself.

thevaf

The persei itself is just a power source. The technology is in the design of the cartridges and attachments. The long post above #10714, sheds alot of light on how the sr-71 works.

PhotoRider

My suggestion... cruise this thread. It contains more text info on it than any website text could ever do plus its from users and D9. Both perspectives.

A few simple ones.

• Complete mechanical design - nothing to limit the power to the carts. No timer etc.
  • 5A power capable. That a a lot more than any Mod I have seen. Only one matches it that I know so far - but there may be more.
  • Takes large high draw batteries
  • Allows 3.7V, 6V and 7.4V operation via battery types.
  • Supports two cart operation at 7.4V and 5 ohm carts - major clouds once you learn how
  • Has many attachmemts and list is growing Hammer, Hercules, Omicron carts etc
  • Supports both on/off and momentary on/off heads
  • Supports the Nibbler and a new one for the SR-71 (only product I have seen like it - portable water perc - sweet!)

Everything is designed for max power with complete control to the user. Sure you can have electronic, variable voltage/wattage etc, but it costs and limits power. The Persei is made IMPO as a max power source to power high draw high production attachments... That the Persei does very well.

G has detailed the SR-71 design and the hammer I believe uses the same core. Also G explained the coil - heater trade-off they did. That is a core technology decision. I thought it was interesting reading the trade-off decisions and why. That's very open communication.

OF

I try my best, but there is no secret on the technology, it is a straight forward design that has some beefed up technology thats about it, we can go and start writing some fancy words about it and try to sell you something with a sales pitch, but we rather just have the product sell for itself.

I disagree somewhat here, big Guy. It may be straightforward engineering using conventional technology for the most part but it's also a solid, refined design. Elegant in many ways, tailored to the task. There are trade offs of course, but IMO the design is very easy to defend (and I fancy myself being pretty well informed of the details when I say that). Intuition and following established design rules are easy to see, but so also is hard won experience and insight when you look more closely.

I do agree, if the product performs well, reliably and efficiently who cares what magic makes it go?

The persei itself is just a power source. The technology is in the design of the cartridges and attachments. The long post above #10714, sheds alot of light on how the sr-71 works.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Persei as "just a power source". It's an exceptional one IMO, well suited to the job of driving heavy loads safely. In some ways it has no equal. Very few such gadgets can do the 30 or so Watts we want. TV will but without refinements like short circuit protection, low voltage drop out and so on.

Taken together D9 gear tends to form systems IMO. Iteration after iteration has refined it rather much differently than the competition for the most part. It seems driven by performance.

As PR wisely points out above, it does show the master's touch, for better or worse. It's guys that hang it out and see where the winds go that ever sail to the new places it seems.

I, personally, wouldn't have it any other way.

OF

PhotoRider

Integration is technology and IP IMO. Integration is the solution to the user's needs. I think Apple sells integration - the idea is everything plays together (if its from A), Cisco was founded by a couple who really leveraged the technology from Stanford. They just used it. What they did is work 1:1 with their customers - other academics like them and created a solution by the integration work. Picking what to use and making it play together to solve the issue at hand. In fact their customers prepaid for the product before it was designed. Unheard of at that time (sorry had to study them in grad school). I think this situation has some parallels to this.

For me that is innovation which is much different than invention.

Like OF stated, they sell a system and requires integration of all the components to play well together.

xenith

How do you guys like the Persei with solids like shatter and wax?

EDIT: Just to contribute a little bit, I think the design of the Persei is great. A high quality power source is really underestimated in a lot of applications. For example, using a solid VPS on a vape that came with a wall-wart can really improve the overall quality of vapor.

Top Bottom