Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

Sleepin in CA

Higher than a Pterodactyl, you can call me Caveman
Accessory Maker
Black rod works best with 20-30% coils
I am off to find some scissors. =)
I'll report back later. Thanks!

@THC SCIENTIFIC hey 30% coil, full battery, .3 in coil, .2 prime. Pure whisp. Can barely even see vapor leaving mouth. I even did a full clean out. Changed rod.....full hits. I'm wondering if my rod is bad. I seem to have the worst luck. =(

I need to buy a multimeter to know for sure I think

Edit* Tried again with a 20% coil and the same wax load. No dice. So i gave her more wax! No luck. Just at a loss with this baby. If you are cool with it I may send it in with the black top/payment if you let me keep it. Just to have it tested. I wouldn't mind paying return shipping if it is user error.

Last edited:
Sleepin in CA,
Reactions: Atomsk

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I wrote up a huge thing on checking with a multimeter properly not too many pages back, definitely grab a cheap mm and check, otherwise you'll waste tons of time scratching your head like :hmm:

EVERY HERCULES SR-71 OWNER SHOULD OWN A DIGITAL MULTIMETER

And know how to read resistance with it!!!!!

hHWmrOZ.png

They are not expensive! They will save you a TON of time + headache!
Why don't you show us how you use it on the HERCULES SR 71?
Great Stuff!
Guys like "G", "OF", PHOTORIDER and yourself are "ELECTRONIC GURUS"

Show me how to use it correctly?

I worked with High Voltage Stuff in my past however never a electronics guru!

Show me!

Darb

Great Stuff!

Show me!
You definitely don't need to be an electronics guru to operate a multimeter. Most come with some basic instructions to get you started.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
You definitely don't need to be an electronics guru to operate a multimeter. Most come with some basic instructions to get you started.
I use the gadgets and medicate nicely however I'm not a electronic guy.

ataxian,
Reactions: exit

Vapoholic420

-Loyal To The Oil-
@Sleeping in CA,
I think u got a bad black heating rod then bcuz I can use mine with hard as a rock shatter or anything that I could have vaped with the white rod for that matter, and I can even use a full coil too, but a coil that sits a couple millimeters under the top of the rod works the best! I did have to send one black rod back in bcuz it had a slight curve in it and it made the connection bad or something bcuz it would only warm the oil, kinda like ur describing. My bet would be that u got a faulty black rod. Hope this helps.

StickyShisha2

my white rod has been working great so when ordering a kit for family, i added a black rod to the order to try out. I can't seem to get more than wispy hits from it. I will pick up a multi meter today and report back later.

Hedonismbot

I’ve been reluctant to post any more about white rod vs black rod since I originally posted about my black rod experience. But…

I don’t find with the white rod that I go through oil faster. I track my oil usage and I originally said that I was using about a gram in 10 days. Now (with more data) it looks like a gram in 10-12 days. This is about the same THC efficiency as I get with bud in my Solo. And I’m staying as medicated as ever (although admittedly I’m a lite weight compared to most here). Also, I don’t think I’ve burned any oil yet with the white rod.

I have 2 SR71s, both white rod, both have coils that look to me to be about 1/2mm below the tip of the heating rod. One has seen about 3.5g of oil and the other about 2.5g. When I did try the black rod in one I’m quite sure it was working correctly. It always measured 0.8 ohms. And it performed about the same as a white rod emulating the power level of the black rod.

Perhaps if I cut 1 more mm from the coil it would work better with the black rod but I don’t want to do any more experiments with the black rod. Since I have an Iris I can dial in whatever power level I want when I’m at home. When I’m out and about I feather the power button (Iris is too big and shiny to be stealthy). Also, when I’m out I really treasure being able to get a good hit in few seconds which the white rod delivers in spades.

Math for those interested:
Black rod is 0.8 ohms resistance, at 4 volts that equals 20 watts of power.
White rod is 1.5 ohms. At 8 volts that is 43 watts of power.
Black rod is about half power (by design).

At 1.5 ohms (white rod) for 20 watts of power you need 5.5v. If you want to see how a black rod performs while still using a white rod and you have an Iris or Core then set the voltage level to 5.5 volts. If that works for you then a black rod on a single battery will work for you too.

Soon the Core will be in the hands of a lot more people and we’ll have a lot more data about what power levels are working best. What I have discovered is that different concentrates vaporize optimally at different power levels.

So if the black rod works for you, great! For me, saving the length of an 18350 battery in my stealth setup isn’t worth it. I guess you could say that I tried black and I went back! :lol::lol::rolleyes:

Hedo

Sleepin in CA

Accessory Maker
I'm pretty sure my black rod is bad. I'm gonna wait for @THC SCIENTIFIC to sound off. I'm tempted to just buy another and send this one back.

Sleepin in CA,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I guess you could say that I tried black and I went back! :lol::lol::rolleyes:
Hedo
Thank you so much for this information.

I have two SR71's with "WHITE" rods.
One I cleaned and now I can't get it to work (I'm just a dumb ass!)
The other one I will load up some SHATTER and enjoy the medication effect.
The K.I.S.S. cart is weaker than the SR71 however pretty cheap in price.
I love the quality of the K.I.S.S. cart for the price point.
The smoke shop by my house sells a similar one for 1/2 the price however the Quality is SUB-STANDARD!
I put it on my E-VIC however it's pretty GHETTO.

The way I see it: The "WHITE" rod HERCULES SR71 is a KICK A@@ DEVICE.

Instead of the BLACK rod I went with the K.I.S.S. cart because of my illness it's getting hard for me to play Mac Gyver. I love to thinker however PLUG & PLAY is more my thing these days.

Now for flavor and power the HERCULES SR71 is my favorite WAX attachment.
For practical every use the K.I.S.S. cart is very handy and easy for a dumb ass like me to use!

My usage is out of control so I will load up my 2nd HERCULES SR71 with SHATTER and medicate correctly maybe?

Last edited:

exit

I use the gadgets and medicate nicely however I'm not a electronic guy.
I posted my pics on how to place the multi meter leads a few pages back, I will dig the up, but any MM will come with instructions on how to read resistance correctly :)

Just make sure you have one lead on the threading and one lead on the very middle of the center pin you're good!!!!!

exit,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I posted my pics on how to place the multi meter leads a few pages back, I will dig the up, but any MM will come with instructions on how to read resistance correctly :)

Just make sure you have one lead on the threading and one lead on the very middle of the center pin you're good!!!!!
Cool Thank you.

I have one so I will try and figure it out.

ataxian,
Reactions: exit

exit

Cool Thank you.

I have one so I will try and figure it out.
Good luck buddy!
I think its easier of you have dsomething to push against.
It might sound funny but it makes sense when the thing keeps sliding away from you :}

On w9 devices you know how if you turn it upside down and look at the side that screws into the bottom part. There's like a recessed line and maybe a tiny hole in the middle of it? Anywhere in that recessed line or hole and the other on the threading!
Let me know if you still have problems?

exit,
Reactions: ataxian

Sleepin in CA

Accessory Maker
is it possible to do a skype session?
I have never used Skype before. I'm sure I could figure it out though. I won't be home to a computer for a couple more hours. Is that ok?

Edit...f it I'm running home now. Errands can wait.

@THC SCIENTIFIC I am now home. Skype is set up, and I'm switching to the black rod now.

My Skype name is Keep_it_Stoked

Last edited:
Sleepin in CA,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I have never used Skype before. I'm sure I could figure it out though. I won't be home to a computer for a couple more hours. Is that ok?

Edit...f it I'm running home now. Errands can wait.

@THC SCIENTIFIC I am now home. Skype is set up, and I'm switching to the black rod now.

My Skype name is Keep_it_Stoked

ok see you on skype

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Good luck buddy!
I think its easier of you have dsomething to push against.
It might sound funny but it makes sense when the thing keeps sliding away from you :}

On w9 devices you know how if you turn it upside down and look at the side that screws into the bottom part. There's like a recessed line and maybe a tiny hole in the middle of it? Anywhere in that recessed line or hole and the other on the threading!
Let me know if you still have problems?
I will try to make this SR71 work without shorting out!
Give me 30 minutes to figure it out.
I will use a magnifying glass as well so I hope I don't F^ck up?

Jesser509

Does anyone know how to go about cleaning the K.I.S.S. carts. Mine is getting sticky and hard to open

Jesser509,

exit

I will try to make this SR71 work without shorting out!
Give me 30 minutes to figure it out.
I will use a magnifying glass as well so I hope I don't F^ck up?

Took some pix for you!

Here's the center pin hole to put one lead in.
4z2qzad.jpg

Then the other one touches the threads.
j7sb0p7.jpg

It should be clear when you have a short!
If you aren't sure the manual should tell you, all DMM's are different!
Don't forget to touch the leads together so you know if there's any error.
If you touch them together and it doesn't say 0.00 then add or subtract that amount from your reading to get the real result

3jZ0CTo.jpg

Hope this helps!!!

exit,
Reactions: ataxian

Caligula

Maximus
Great Stuff!

Show me!

@ataxian Its not hard at all. I measure in two places in order to make sure I narrow down any issues if they arise.

First, I will test the Hercules sans the MP, outer PTFE shell, and lower PTFE insulator (which is usually the problem if there is one). That is to say, only the assembled bare cores.

Simply touch one lead inside the groove for the flathead screwdriver while touching the other on the external threading. It doesn't matter what color lead goes where, since were testing resistance. Negative and positive matter not for this purpose.

If that tests out @ 1.8 ohm (at least for my DMM, YMMV) then I will attach the lower PTFE insulator and test again. 98% of the time, this is where I get an issue. Adjust the insulator screws as necessary until you get the same reading as before (1.8 ohm in my case). You will touch the leads in the same spots as before. One in the groove for the flathead, while the other touches the threading on the outside of the adapter.

Also, I have a cheap DMM, so it takes a few seconds for the numbers to settle down. This requires me to hold the leads pretty steady for 3-5 seconds while the numbers jump around a bit and finally settle at their lowest point. IDK if yours will act the same, but I figured I should throw that out there.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Took some pix for you!

Then the other one touches the threads.

It should be clear when you have a short!
If you aren't sure the manual should tell you, all DMM's are different!
Don't forget to touch the leads together so you know if there's any error.
If you touch them together and it doesn't say 0.00 then add or subtract that amount from your reading to get the real result
Hope this helps!!!
Thank you for all the trouble!
Sorry I'm falling apart!

The only thing I'm able to do correctly I guess is medicate.

I will leave the High Tech Brain work to guy's like you and "G"!

I broke the rod support as you can see.
This is completely my fault and is not a W9 TECH problem.
The device was working great.
In fact 3 grams of SHATTER were consumed before I F^CKED it up!

Now you know why I like the K.I.S.S. cart.
The HERCULES SR71 is way more powerful and tasty however I messed it up.
My bad!

Hope your enjoying your Friday!

Top Bottom