The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

Raskolnikov

Pretty much sums it up for me:
5-F6-B1-A4-B-CE1-E-45-AC-88-BF-D71-F371-C26-BF.jpg
Love the man. Watch him recite Tommy by Rudyard Kipling. So emotional with his perfect cut glass accent.

Raskolnikov,
Reactions: Vitolo

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Tons of cottontails everywhere around here this year, it's what's on the "menu" (for other animals)...! Here's a short clip from last night (not my yard/lawn):
You can hear my new (drunk) buddy, Ray, from Baton Rouge, LA, that's staying with the neighbors, and brought me a small bowl of very good homemade Gumbo, talk on and on and on and on, about what? I usually have no idea... something about being served some kind of pecans...? Nice dude, tho...

Edit: for clarity:

Paul Westerberg - Mr. Rabbit
I instantly loved this song when I first heard many years ago... it's like a modern take on a Spiritual or Hymn. Too Good!

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Anyone else in the group have chickens?

We started with a small flock of 16 birds last year. This year we recently expanded the operation - converting a 20-foot storage container into a chicken coop with a long run so they have free-range when we aren't home to let them fully open-range. Now we're over 80 birds, including a flock of prized meat-birds (American Breese) with the goal of being fully self-sufficient for our meat/protein needs.

Can't find many pictures of the birds lately so I'll have to get some more, but here's a photo of some of our younger chicks exploring the new coop right after we finished the run.

Vitolo

Vaporist
When Rocket Man came into my life I was told by the Sanctuary"s Veterinarian that he was a German Shepherd and Akita Hybrid.
I had no reason to doubt this, due to his large size, and various Akita attributes.
I was given a gift of a DNA test from one of America's most popular DNA search companies.
They even had a section asking for everything I had heard about his history.
Looking at their website and results, I saw many sample reports, telling of the dog's main breeds and often many .02% and 5% donors. Once in a while I had seen purebreds results showing one simple donor.
I truly expected to see, a small % of other breeds in Rocky's makeup.
I did learn that there is no Akita there at all.
Here's Rocky's Report:
DNA-Rocket.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I had my 3 rescues done, interesting results.

Jasper, 14, rescued Nov 2009.

53079595012_7dfed7f6b8_c.jpg

Gus, 2 rescued Aug 2022.

53080358179_091aa6d33e_c.jpg

Luna, 1, rescued May 2023.

53080568510_e98f61ef0a_c.jpg
Wow, must have been a hell of an orgy. So when someone asks what kind of dog, the correct answer is Dog.

I wonder if they mean Austrailian Blue Healer when they say Austrailian Cattle dog. I just love those dogs.

Knewt

Wow, must have been a hell of an orgy. So when someone asks what kind of dog, the correct answer is Dog.

I wonder if they mean Austrailian Blue Healer when they say Austrailian Cattle dog. I just love those dogs.
Australian Cattle dog is also known as a blue Healer. Miniature American Shepard would also be known as a Miniature Australian Shepard. I question how precise some of these designations are. An Australian Shepard is a mix of other Harding dogs, and the Miniature Aussie is an Aussie that has been down sized somehow. I am certain that there is no precise formula for achieving these breeds.

Knewt

I just love Blue Healers and Australian Shepherds. I think they're gorgeous and so full of energy and very sweet. The healers in particular need a lot of exercise to be happy. Or at least that's been my experience. A good dog to make sure you get YOUR exercise.
My 1 year old is either asleep or busy (usually in trouble). My 2 year old either suffers and or enjoys the abundant energy.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
With the Healers it's kinda weird that they seem to have a innate desire to herd other animals. My brother had horses and a couple cattle and his dogs were constantly trying to lead the horses and cows or nipping at their hooves. I saw them herding baby ducklings once. They were never taught these behaviors.

I wonder what they are like in a dog park...

Vitolo

Vaporist
I wanted to share Rocky's new quirky but cute behavior.
His bed is next to my bed, right by the bed's head.
During the day while I am on the computer, he moves his bed next to my chair to stay close... and at night he brings it back to the bed's head.
DSC00258.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

Either my bed is really small or he's really large! (101 pounds ...the same as Dusty was)

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Here is another of Barney.
Best dog I’ve had but would never rec them. He needed a facelift at 6 months old as he couldn’t see because of all his wrinkles in his eyes. Honestly can’t explain how good of a dog he was. Lying in the vets with him as he was put down was just one of the worse days of my life but sometimes you just need to be a man

Sir Jackie Stewart autobiography has a wonderful poem about your dog wanting you with him at his side at his last hours. I have been searching but can’t find it. It’s an excellent read.
I’m crying 😢 now.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Here is another of Barney.
Best dog I’ve had but would never rec them. He needed a facelift at 6 months old as he couldn’t see because of all his wrinkles in his eyes. Honestly can’t explain how good of a dog he was. Lying in the vets with him as he was put down was just one of the worse days of my life but sometimes you just need to be a man

Sir Jackie Stewart autobiography has a wonderful poem about your dog wanting you with him at his side at his last hours. I have been searching but can’t find it. It’s an excellent read.
I’m crying 😢 now.

I went through putting down my best friend of 12 years, because of a cancerous throat growth. I remember lying with her as she was put to sleep as well, and I sat with her body for like an hour after that before I let them know that I was ready to continue.

It wasn't the first time I went through the death of a loved pet, but it was one of the most difficult, after that dog had been with me through so many life changes. So yeah, I get it. Sorry for your loss, my friend. It's never easy.

I have a new dog now, who's a year and a half old. So I still worry that I will live long enough to have to go through that again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom