The Magic-Flight Launch Box (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoSmoke

magicflight said:
2tiki said:
I just (pre)ordered my LB! I am very excited, and after lurking here for months, I am now making my first post too. :)

One quick question for the magic flight crew. If there are changes or additions/upgrades etc to the LB, will us early adopters get left out, or is there a plan for keeping us upgraded as well?

Thanks for any info,

2tiki
Hi,

Thank you! In regards to your question about upgrades, such things tend to be decided as they occur and depend on what was changed and why. Basically, the policy is that for any model that has been discontinued (for whatever reason), we will provide a cost equivalent upgrade to the current model. We want to ensure that early adopters are satisfied --

-- Magic-Flight.com
Does this mean that the LT may eventually be discontinued? And us early adopters may get a LB? :lol: Because IMO I don't really see the need for two vapes that are similar in their delivery on the market by the same company for the same price, especially if one is more effiecent at getting the job done then the other. I could see it if the LT were cheaper. Just my 2 cents

NoSmoke,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
I would love it if MF made a lil battery holder box for my batts...its hard to keep them from touching because its hot news if they do :o

for those of you that dont kno...if two of these batteries come in contact with each other then they begin to lose power and become really hot. just not the most enjoyable thing in the world :(

I wish MF had a small mini wooden box that could hold all of my batteries so they dont come in contact with one another. almost in the shape/design of a wooden dugout. Here's a pic if you don't know what I'm referring to
dugout.jpg

would look like a good addition to my wooden family (LB, VG, PD, billybowl) ;)

I have also had this SAME idea with another vaporizer we all love and know quite well. Use the dugout idea for the PD's sake, but instead of filling the dugout with batteries I would fill it with 2 PD stems and a small chamber to fit ground up nugget....oh well I guess I'll keep dreaming :science:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
hey henny, are the hits from the LB significant enough to exhale visible vapor and get a good enough hit to make me cough? i wanna see if a vid of it in action if you could get your hands on a camera. im about to pre-order one but im just hanging on this last setback. once i see what type if damage it can do, ill be on the preorder list.

illadelph,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
illa...the LB has not made me cough, but no vape does anymore. I do get some thickness from the pulse draw method, but nothing monster

stickstones,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
could you explain how you have been able to pull off the pulse with the LB? i also wanted to know if MF is supporting the LB for future upgrades in the warranty. i would like to see the cover clip for the top part come out as an upgrade but wouldnt wanna have to pay just to get it.

illadelph,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
~illadleph

yes it blows out mini clouds...in the end you get RIPPED as fuck. its not gonna be like a pd in your pocket just remember that.

I think its worth a buy. customer service is top notch and this is a quality product :)

oh ya I have gotten hits so large that it made me cough...but if you really wanna cough just keep smoking :/

remember fuck combustion ;)

:peace:

edit////oh ya...dont wait around for 'updates'. I sure as hell wouldnt stick around for a lid cover roller. that thing would make the LB bulkier and make it harder to stir easily. So far the lid has NEVER came off for me. I have never seen it as much of a problem.

BTW had the best session in my life with the little LB this weekend. Me and some buddies hiked up a trail to overlook our town. The sights+the vapors made it one of the best session so far using the LB :brow:

thank you magic flight for creating that priceless memory..I was :ko:

Hennessy1414,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
yea i know im not wanting to cough at all, just wanted to have something to measure how concentrated the vapor is. if you say you get clouds and its worth the buy, then im on board.

illadelph,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
thank sticks, now i completely understand. :) now i just can't wait until mine gets here.

illadelph,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
NoSmoke said:
Does this mean that the LT may eventually be discontinued? And us early adopters may get a LB? :lol: Because IMO I don't really see the need for two vapes that are similar in their delivery on the market by the same company for the same price, especially if one is more effiecent at getting the job done then the other. I could see it if the LT were cheaper. Just my 2 cents
Hi,

We have no plans to discontinue the Launch Tube at this time -- there are some significant differences that make the Tube still useful. For example, it is much more effective as a "one hit" vape than the Box (the Box is really only optimal when fully loaded, whereas the Tube is optimal when fairly lightly loaded). Also, the Tube provides for somewhat more control and visual feedback than the Box, and hence, is probably more suited to people who care about that. Also, the battery for the Tube lasts a very long time (many fillings) in comparison to the Box. In short, we believe that the Tube is still useful, particularly to people who vape less often and who are therefore somewhat more sensitive. I am sure that there will be a lot of other opinions about this also.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hennessy1414 said:
I would love it if MF made a lil battery holder box for my batts...its hard to keep them from touching because its hot news if they do :o
Hi,

Actually, I like this suggestion a lot. I will be adding this to the list of recommended additions.

Thanks!
-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

2tiki

Thanks for answering my question about upgrades.

I wouldn't expect you to send me a new vape just because you made a new version.

I am really looking forward to the LB, so I will temporarily stop asking questions so you will have more time to get LB's made. :)

2tiki,

Monsoon

illadelph said:
could you explain how you have been able to pull off the pulse with the LB? i also wanted to know if MF is supporting the LB for future upgrades in the warranty. i would like to see the cover clip for the top part come out as an upgrade but wouldnt wanna have to pay just to get it.
You should be able to just use an elastic.

Monsoon,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
rubber bands, twisty ties(pick some up at a grocery store if you are really that poor), hair ties, piece of string, small piece of tape ect. ect.

the list goes on and on....no reason for more parts to be on this lil box. I love the simplicity/looks of it too much to have the lil roller added on to keep the lid from sliding off.

:2c:

Hennessy1414,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Hi from the other side of the country. :D

A couple of quick comments, to everyone at once (sorry, I am fried from 7 hours in the plane, and too addicted to the forum to not answer, but multiple quotes are just too much for me now).

I am going to be sticking with the standard (6") rigid tube. I just like everything about it. For me, the best view of the vape, and the "rig" is just easier to handle. I will use the cut down version (3") when it is inconvenient to carry the full size one. I tried a clear flexible tube before I left for the airport, and while it's better than the frosted one, it still doesn't float my boat like the rigid FT tubes do. MF: I don't know your cost of the rigid tubes, but I would consider throwing one in even if you decide to include the flexible tube as standard. I bought two extras when I bought the two Launch Tubes, so I'm sitting pretty, and the 3" straight piece I have left over after cutting down one of the L tubes may prove useful.

Batteries. I use a MAHA MH-C9000 CHARGER for all my AA needs, which can tell you most anything you want to know about your batteries, and has a zillion charge modes, etc. It is NOT a super fast charger though, as it will only deliver a maximum of 2000mA (2 amps) to a given AA cell. This would make it a one hour charger for most NiMH AA batteries (or 1 hour and a half). Check out http://thomasdistributing.com/ for everything you ever wanted having to do with batteries, including some really great inexpensive cases to hold your charged batteries so that they don't short out against your keys and burn a hole in your pocket. They come in many sizes (4 batts, 8 batts, etc). The one on the left is less than a buck, and is barely larger than the 4 batteries themselves. The one on the right is four bucks, and looks to be pretty rugged and weatherproof. I have two like the ones on the left. They throw them in for free when you are buying batteries from them, but before you just run out and buy four 2900mAh batteries, check with MF about what they recommend. The batteries are NOT being used in the mode where cursory specs are relevant. You are drawing 5 amps from them, so the highest listed capacity may NOT be the best battery to use. MF should know what batteries are the best in very high current draw situations.

mh-4aabh.jpg
delkin-8cell-rechargeable-battery-tote-case-lg.jpg

However, for my LT and LB, I use a 30 minute Radio Shack charger that I had lying around. (MF: which does work fine with the batteries you sent me, as well as the 2300mAH batteries it came with). I may test the RS 8 minute charger and batteries for the fun of it. I am just beginning to realize how much faster the LB eats batteries than the LT...

MF: Your description of what circumstances would lead one to prefer the LT over the LB is right on. (At least with my experience). I hadn't used my LT for a while, since I was testing the LB, I just set the LT aside. The LT is definitely better for one hit (or two) if you're in a situation where you can easily use it.

I agree that the coughing happens mostly when I am getting the last few hits from a load. I have to get over the fallacy that just because I can get more vapor out of a load doesn't mean I should. The "many small sips per hit" method is working the best for me.

Oh, and I forget who mentioned it, but to whoever said "try hitting out of the pinhole on the bottom while holding the main draw hole closed with your finger", umm, if you weren't joking, that has to be the most difficult way to use the LB that I've ever heard. Let's see, you lean your head all the way back, look at the ceiling, and pray the load doesn't fall out of the trough... :o

Vape is Good.

Haywood

Haywood,

NoSmoke

2tiki said:

I wouldn't expect you to send me a new vape just because you made a new version
Shoot I would! The LT to me is more like a gimmick vape w/ very minimal effectivness, and if there is anyone in the Minnesota area who wants one you can have it you name the price 30, 20, 10.... seriously

NoSmoke,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
magicflight said:
For example, it is much more effective as a "one hit" vape than the Box (the Box is really only optimal when fully loaded, whereas the Tube is optimal when fairly lightly loaded). Also, the Tube provides for somewhat more control and visual feedback than the Box, and hence, is probably more suited to people who care about that.
Without having tried the tube, the box works fine for me as a one hitter and has fine visual feedback. I have no business comparing the box to the tube, but I have no complaints about the box in either of these departments.

stickstones,

2tiki

NoSmoke said:
2tiki said:

I wouldn't expect you to send me a new vape just because you made a new version
Shoot I would! The LT to me is more like a gimmick vape w/ very minimal effectivness, and if there is anyone in the Minnesota area who wants one you can have it you name the price 30, 20, 10.... seriously
NoSmoke, are you saying that you have one of the prototypes and don't like it? Others seem to have a very different opinion than you. Doesn't mean yours is wrong, just wondering if your opinion is based on your own experience or just assumptions. I'll buy it off you for $10 assuming it is in the same condition they sent it to you. That way I'll have a back up unit.

2tiki,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
whats the progerss with working out the machining of the different woods? i cant wait to have a cherry or maple launch box in hand ready to vape whenever and wherever i am

Acolyte of Zinglon,

duh

2tiki, the Launch Tube (LT) is not a prototype, it is a shipping product. It sounds like NoSmoke is just bitter. The LT works fine for me but I find that the LB, which takes larger amounts, to be more functional.

duh,

2tiki

Oh, I misread that. I thought they were talking about the LB not the LT.

Still for $10 I'd buy the LT to check it out.

Either way, in less than 2 weeks I should be a part of the Magic Flight family.

Since I am also an inventor/craftsman (not of Vapes though), I am already planning on making a case for the LBox and batteries.

If enough other people are interested, and the case comes out good enough, I may give a tutorial here on how to make it.

2tiki,

NoSmoke

duh said:
2tiki, the Launch Tube (LT) is not a prototype, it is a shipping product. It sounds like NoSmoke is just bitter. The LT works fine for me but I find that the LB, which takes larger amounts, to be more functional.
If you know the latter to be more functional then you obvoiusly understand whyt im bitter you just dont want to admit it :lol:

NoSmoke,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Haywood said:
... MF should know what batteries are the best in very high current draw situations...

...I may test the RS 8 minute charger and batteries for the fun of it. I am just beginning to realize how much faster the LB eats batteries than the LT...

Oh, and I forget who mentioned it, but to whoever said "try hitting out of the pinhole on the bottom while holding the main draw hole closed with your finger", umm, if you weren't joking, that has to be the most difficult way to use the LB that I've ever heard. Let's see, you lean your head all the way back, look at the ceiling, and pray the load doesn't fall out of the trough... :o

Vape is Good.

Haywood
Hi,

As many of you may have noticed, there are a *lot* of different types of batteries out there with different brands, ratings, and claims -- far too many for us to test each one. It is also true that the Box uses the batteries in a somewhat unusual manner -- however, not so different that most batteries of the correct classification should work reasonably well enough. The batteries to get are of the NiMh type, and need to be able to store at least 2000 mAh. Beyond that, it is going to be something you will have to experiment with to see if you might get even better performance than we do.

We know that the batteies we ship included will work, and we will provide a means to buy extra pairs. Your mileage may vary using other batteries. (Personally, I have my doubts about the longevity of the 8 minute batteries). Our batteries are sure to provide enough power for one full bowl -- you may get more than that, but that is what we can claim as a reasonable expectation. Batteries that have a higher mAh rating may last for more than one full bowl (six hits, 30 sec each hit, 10 to 20 cc per sec, vapor just visable in the draw channel but not otherwise at least 55% of the time).

As far as 'drawing from the secondary hole on the bottom' is concerned, it is admittedly, something none of our previous testers have told us about -- that is a novel/unexpected method of use -- we are interested to hear more, if anyone is so inclined. It does seem that it would be awkward at best, and I am not sure as to if it would be any more effective to use that way, but there could easily be something about it that is at least worth our looking into. Perhaps the partial constriction makes it easier to draw slowly? Would people prefer that? It has been our impression so far that easier draws are best -- but again, we are interested in opinions about that.

Thanks again for an informative post!
-- Magic-flight

magicflight,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom