The Magic-Flight Launch Box (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
just got my box but just got home after a 12h shift, im taking it with me tomorrow for sure though

i really like it so far though lots of on demand vape :D

MrMistyTokes,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I'm really swamped with work, and away from home, but I did have a little time yesterday to evaluate different breathing tubes, and hope to have some more time today before I have to fly away again tomorrow.

I tried four different ways; the stock flexible tube, the stock rigid tube that comes with the Launch Tube, the same rigid tube cut down from six inches to three inches, and finally, no tube at all. All four methods seem to achieve the same effect, though I have definite preferences.

I do NOT like using the flexible tube because it overwhelms the tiny, light Launch Box. When you put the "rig" down, the flexible tube remains stationary and the Box slides around. Because the flexible tube is frosted, it is impossible to see any vapor in the tube. It works just fine, but it's not elegant, and it's unwieldy.

I do NOT like using the Box with no breathing tube at all. I can't see in the chamber and I can't see any vapor. It is certainly the most compact and stable setup, and it is easy enough to use this way, but I just don't like using it as much with the Box "pressed" against my face.

I very much like using the full size (6") rigid breathing tube. The whole "rig" is very easy to handle, is stable when you put it down, is easy to pick up, and is easy to pass to your friends. It is very very easy to see the vapor stream in the tube while you're drawing your breath. It's easy to rotate the rigid tube in whatever direction you need, which comes in handy if you use the "turn over and tap" method to stir and when you are emptying a spent load.

I also like using the cut down (to 3") rigid tube, but not quite as much as the full size rigid tube. I am still evaluating the cut down tube, because it IS easier to travel with, but I can't see the vapor as well.

I have noticed that the Box can be a little hard on my lungs, particularly the third and following hits. Of the four vaporizers I have, they rate in lung hardness in the following order. (1) Volcano Digit set to 185C is the least hard on my lungs, and I almost never cough no matter how many or how big a hit I take. (2) Launch Tube (standard temp) is not too bad on my lungs, particularly since I have learned to use it the way that works for me. (3) The Launch Box is moderately hard on my lungs, and I cough maybe 20% of the time, but I haven't totally learned what is the best usage method for me yet. I am leaning to doing a number of small "sips" per lung full, which seems to give me a tremendous hit, without the cough. (4) The iolite (iInhale) is by far the hardest on my lungs.

I think that once I get the "lots of sips per hit" down, the Launch Box will be as easy on my lungs as the Launch Tube. I have more experimenting to do, particularly with load size and battery connected duration (and with different load materials as well). If you haven't tried the "lots of sips per hit" method, you should. :)

As always, your thoughts are appreciated as well.

Vape is good.

Haywood

ps I am having a very difficult time in figuring out how to explain to a new Launch Box user the best way to use it, particularly if the frosted flexible tube is what's shipped with the Box. The vapor in the closed chamber is almost invisible so that's not a clear clue.

Haywood,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
I find covering the "stem" hole with your finger and drawing vapor thru the little 'carb hole' on the bottom is a great way to always get quality clean even hits. It gives the perfect amount of air flow to constantly give a steady flow of vapor...watch out for making the bowl a lil darker tho. its all about the technique ya know :cool:

I love this vaporizer because user error is quickly corrected by finding the sweet spot in your hit. I use that as a literal term for this vape. the flavors/aromas let me know how cooked my hit is getting at all times. Also the heat in the air steam is a good indicator as well :brow:

This is a kick ass vaporizer...quite the portable tool indeed

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

duh

I had another full day w/the unit and just love it. :D One heart breaker, I ran out of juice on my batts and had to burn - yuck! :mad: Also, I had my first drop - it wasn't very far and the unit is fine, but the plexi slid up and I lost a fresh trench! :o FYI: This one would have been saved if that extra clip + plastic roller was on the other end. ;)

The 'hard on the lungs' and 'lung butter' stuff is definitely from taking hits when the avb is depleted. I now only burn until the material is dark army green w/no black specks and then dump the trench for use in a later 'balloon party' w/my E on higher temps. If you are taking those last 3+ hits when the 'green zone' is already gone, you should expect hotter and smokier gas - this is personal taste but easy to avoid if you want to - like I said before, it's cool if you are remote and have no access to more meds, otherwise - dump the trench when it's time, ppl!

BTW - I am finding the wand to be the way to go for me. Here are my reasons why I think it should still be shipped w/the unit.

1. A beginner on the LB Beta will have an easier time seeing the vapor action in front of them, in the box, if a wand is used.
2. The shake/tap method is A LOT easier w/the flexible tubing. Sure, it's easy enough w/out seeing what you are doing, but it's nice to know the material is actually in the trench and not bunched up at the end which could happen if you are using it blind.
3. The 'going native' approach is a little daunting directly on the outtake hole - if the wand were to be replaced, a mouth piece should be considered instead - I have used the glass L straw that came w/the LT and it works fine - but the shake and 'see what green is left' is tougher.

I agree w/Haywood that the production wand should have clear tubing - the white coating in this one makes it impossible to see the vapor. Of course, as Henny pointed out, you can taste and feel the vapor already. And of course, vapor is less important than effects. :ko:

Anyone have a good battery tester for rechargables? Right now, I find the battery is depleted when the draw has gone stale and the darkening in the chamber has stopped. While I sort by fresh vs. depleted - it's :cool: to take a freshly charged one w/a fresh trench.

MF, have you looked into and considered offering a battery eliminator? As I have been using this as my main vape, the thought of permanent wall power is appealing versus packs of batteries. There are several online that look like they would offer the right characteristics. :brow:

duh,

Monsoon

duh said:
Anyone have a good battery tester for rechargables? Right now, I find the battery is depleted when the draw has gone stale and the darkening in the chamber has stopped. While I sort by fresh vs. depleted - it's :cool: to take a freshly charged one w/a fresh trench.

MF, have you looked into and considered offering a battery eliminator? As I have been using this as my main vape, the thought of permanent wall power is appealing versus packs of batteries. There are several online that look like they would offer the right characteristics. :brow:
15 minutes fast chargers solve both problems. Just keep the charger nearby and pop them in once you finish a trench.

Monsoon,

duh

Monsoon said:
15 minutes fast chargers solve both problems. Just keep the charger nearby and pop them in once you finish a trench.
Yea, where do you get those? I swung by Home Depot last night but didn't see any quick chargers - just 8 hour ones.

I still think there is a place for a permanent AA from the wall tho.

duh,

duh

For me, portability is key. Then stealth. Dragging my E around sucks.

I see those energizers, they :cool:. Now where in LA can I get them? I figure, if it isn't w/in 15 miles of here, it probably doesn't exist.

duh,

duh

Cool, I was headed to Radio Shack anyway. It also just occurred to me to try Fry's Electronics - they probably have 5 knock-off brands too. :p

duh,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Radio Shack stocks a 30 minute fast NiMH charger (with two batteries, 2300 mAh).

They mail order an 8 minute fast NiMH charger and batteries as well (but don't normally stock them in stores).

Note that the super fast chargers (an hour or less) are very hard on batteries, and will significantly reduce the number of charge/discharge cycles before your batteries are toast. Also note that not all NiMH batteries want to be charged that fast...

Haywood (on the way to the airport)

Haywood,

kingcrimson

oh man, :o I need one of these. I've long since seen and been perplexed/intrigued by the LT, but this looks like just the device for me, I can't wait for retail!
The idea of usb passthrough and the custom wood make me froth at the mouth even more.
best wishes! keep up the good work!
king

kingcrimson,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
duh said:
The 'hard on the lungs' and 'lung butter' stuff is definitely from taking hits when the avb is depleted. I now only burn until the material is dark army green w/no black specks ...

BTW - I am finding the wand to be the way to go for me. Here are my reasons why I think it should still be shipped w/the unit.

I agree w/Haywood that the production wand should have clear tubing

Anyone have a good battery tester for rechargables?

MF, have you looked into and considered offering a battery eliminator?
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification about the abv -- that is important to know.

I tend to agree that it is a good idea to offer the Whip, and that it should be clear. Also, we have found that the use of a short tube (about an inch long) instead of going native to be helpful as well -- especially as it provides a means for attaching a common bendy-straw to it -- a possible replaceable L shaped tube, if that was needed. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it: on one hand, it is more sanitary (since everyone can use their own straw and no cleaning is necessary, yet on the other hand, they are fragile (don't carry well) and straws may be considered poor looks/style.

Testing battery power tends to be problematic as the voltage remains high until the battery is nearly fully depleted -- making most battery testers useless. We have special testers (custom built in house) that draw a lot of current and check for changes in the voltage to determine the battery state. Otherwise, the easiest way to check a battery is to put it into the box with the cover open (and empty) and bring the box up close to your lips (not actually touching, about 1/2 of an inch away) -- you should be able to feel sufficient heat, and if not, the battery probably needs recharging. A little bit of experience with fresh batteries vs used ones will quickly give you a really good indication of what is going on.

Also, in regards to battery eliminators, it is unlikely that we will go that route -- the current demands make this option somewhat too expensive and inconvenient (cords) when compared to using a fast charger and four batteries. A number of the fast chargers come with an auto adapter (energizer) making it even more useful in this regard.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Haywood said:
Radio Shack stocks a 30 minute fast NiMH charger (with two batteries, 2300 mAh).

They mail order an 8 minute fast NiMH charger and batteries as well (but don't normally stock them in stores).

Note that the super fast chargers (an hour or less) are very hard on batteries, and will significantly reduce the number of charge/discharge cycles before your batteries are toast. Also note that not all NiMH batteries want to be charged that fast...

Haywood (on the way to the airport)
Hi,

I tend to be suspicious of Radio Shack chargers -- they usually build them with circuits that explicitly exclude them from being used in fast mode with anything other then their own RS batteries (which are far from the best). This tends to make them fairly useless since the RS chargers are therefore incompatible (by design) with everything else -- including the batteries we ship.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
kingcrimson said:
oh man, :o I need one of these. I've long since seen and been perplexed/intrigued by the LT, but this looks like just the device for me, I can't wait for retail!
The idea of usb passthrough and the custom wood make me froth at the mouth even more.
king
Thank you! If you are interested, one of our distributors has started accepting pre-orders on their website with promised delivery in about 3 weeks on a first come, first serve basis (link: http://www.blisssville.com/index.php?cPath=58).

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Beezleb said:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-15-Minute-Battery-Charger/dp/B0000DIIAS

Maybe pick up a couple extra batteries too.

I think they talked about offering faster chargers for extra but I think they said they are not wanting to make any type of desk top unit.

I like it and all, it will certainly be used when I am in a situation where it fits its purpose, almost perfectly but its no desktop vape in my view.
Agreed -- there are a lot of rather good desktop units on the market already. Our business is in portables.

magicflight,

kingcrimson

magicflight said:
kingcrimson said:
king
Thank you! If you are interested, one of our distributors has started accepting pre-orders on their website with promised delivery in about 3 weeks on a first come, first serve basis (link: http://www.blisssville.com/index.php?cPath=58).

-- Magic-Flight.com
holy crap, hot tip! thanks a lot. I'm still reeling from my PD disaster not an hour ago. It will be nice to buy something concrete, even if I still have to wait.

EDIT: it has been done. now can I be a beta tester? lol had to do it, sorry.
thanks again for the link

kingcrimson,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Haywood said:
...I do NOT like using the flexible tube because it overwhelms the tiny, light Launch Box...

...I am having a very difficult time in figuring out how to explain to a new Launch Box user the best way to use it...
Hi,

Agreed with the points regarding the various attachments, and thank you. In regards to the whip, while finding a clear one is easier, finding one that is not at all stiff is less likely -- just about anything can move the Box because it is so very lightweight. As a general question, we want to know what sorts of situations would a person want a whip on a portable? Would it be mostly used as a "training wheels" setup because it makes it easier to see when learning, or is a whip more of a long term convenience for some other reason? Is it something that we need to include in the basic Box package, or should it be treated as an option?

In regards to explaining to a new user how to use the Box, pay particular attention to the distinction between the "best/optimal technique" and the "easiest to describe/learn" technique. Sometimes, explaining a simple technique that is sure to work for most people reliably on the first try is better to start with than trying to explain a somewhat more complex and more efficient technique that also requires more skill to get any result. I need to know the best technique for 'first time training' and then provide tips for the best techniques to use over the long term. Think of it as two separate tasks: 1) to determine the simplest, easiest, and most reliable technique, and 2) to determine the best, most efficient, and sweetest tasting technique.

Thanks for your help!
-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
duh said:
A tiny brush from an old shaver has become the main tool for this unit ... my little black brush helps to get rid of the avb and prep for the next cycle ? this works very well and I plan on bringing the brush wherever the unit goes....
This is an excellent idea. I will see about having a brush be included in the package. Thanks for the feedback!

magicflight,

2tiki

I just (pre)ordered my LB! I am very excited, and after lurking here for months, I am now making my first post too. :)

One quick question for the magic flight crew. If there are changes or additions/upgrades etc to the LB, will us early adopters get left out, or is there a plan for keeping us upgraded as well?

Thanks for any info,

2tiki

2tiki,

duh

Welcome, 2tiki!

I can't speak for MF, but I imagine the production LB will ship close to what the beta group received. I have never heard of a vape getting upgraded before. Some FC'ers (no doubt some of them LT customers like me) were fortunate enough to be chosen as beta testers, but I don't think anyone expected to be picked.

Good luck, w/your new vape!

duh,

kingcrimson

I don't expect a whole new product but it would be exceptional indeed if some of the responses of the beta testers were applied to the preorders if it were possible. Even the things like the addition of the brush are what Im speaking of, the little things that endear you to a product - and with that in mind I'm going to love this one.

kingcrimson,

duh

magicflight said:
Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks for the excellent Launch Box, Magic-flight! Like I said before, I feel fortune to have gone this route.

My LT is now going to stay at my office as a backup unit in case I'm stuck there after hours and have forgotten my LB. :D

duh,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
2tiki said:
I just (pre)ordered my LB! I am very excited, and after lurking here for months, I am now making my first post too. :)

One quick question for the magic flight crew. If there are changes or additions/upgrades etc to the LB, will us early adopters get left out, or is there a plan for keeping us upgraded as well?

Thanks for any info,

2tiki
Hi,

Thank you! In regards to your question about upgrades, such things tend to be decided as they occur and depend on what was changed and why. Basically, the policy is that for any model that has been discontinued (for whatever reason), we will provide a cost equivalent upgrade to the current model. We want to ensure that early adopters are satisfied -- therefore, any important functional changes will always be supported by an upgrade upon request. However, please be aware that our goal is to ensure that whatever we ship is in as complete and 'final' a state as possible so as to not ever need an upgrade.

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

kingcrimson

Oh! i forgot to mention, if there is a kit that is later included that might have stuff in it the pre order doesn't, the preorder comes at 10% off, so theres your extra right there I suppose.

kingcrimson,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom