OF

I tried it and find that it combusts immediately. I sent in a warranty request with pictures and everything required. The rep replied back asking for more pictures and documentation.

So my question is...is anyone else having combustion issues? Or are there other vaporizers I should look at. I have little experience with these things and want something user friendly for my Mom.

Sorry you're having such troubles, but you are very much the exception. It's very hard to combust with a LB after there's some use on it (they 'cool off' after a dozen uses or so). Few have done it. MF is really trying to work with you to figure it out. I think when the time comes to send it back (if that's the case) you'll find out you're mistaken here. MF is famous for sending you a replacement (when it's determined needed) in exchange for a photo from you showing you've ripped the screen out of the one you have. Yes, they very much trust you and don't require you to send anything back. Pretty exceptional IMO.

MFLB is a neat vape but it's far from easy for many to use. It takes skill, attention and fairly good hand strength and co ordination.

Another vape you might consider is Solo. Automatic temperature control, easier to learn to use, pretty foolproof. Another very popular vape.

Best wishes.

OF

caves

Living the vape life
I was recently at a head shop looking for a vaporizer. The clerk suggested the launch box. I bought it as I'm looking for something for my 70 year old Mother who Has chronic medical issues. I tried it and find that it combusts immediately. I sent in a warranty request with pictures and everything required. The rep replied back asking for more pictures and documentation. I understand that the world is full of dishonest people and there is a reason for them to question but the trouble to deal with all the warranty procedures is not worth it to me. Life is too short to worry about $100.

So my question is...is anyone else having combustion issues? Or are there other vaporizers I should look at. I have little experience with these things and want something user friendly for my Mom.
Combustion with the MFLB is certainly possible if the correct technique isn't used. Leaving the battery in too long, drawing too slow or not at all, and other little things can easily let the trench temperature reach combustion point. However, with the correct technique, combustion won't happen at all.

People show up in this thread sometimes complaining about combustion, and nine times out of ten the issue is on the user's end. As a vaporizer, the MFLB definitely has a learning curve, but many have found that if you stick with it and learn more about the box, the combustion issues vanish.

The reason Magic Flight is being tough on you is exactly that. The warranty is to be used when the product is damaged in such a way that it doesn't function correctly. They probably would be hesitant to replace a unit that may not have any problems besides user error. I found them very helpful when replacing my damaged box.

As OF said, if you're looking for a user-friendly device for your mother, the MFLB may not be the best option. It's far from plug and play, and requires finesse and significant attention while learning. I agree with that you should check out the Arizer Solo. It's quite user friendly and hard to use incorrectly. A dedicated desktop unit with temperature control might also be a good option, but I'm not too experienced with those.

Good luck in your search!

dave43

Combustion with the MFLB is certainly possible if the correct technique isn't used. Leaving the battery in too long, drawing too slow or not at all, and other little things can easily let the trench temperature reach combustion point. However, with the correct technique, combustion won't happen at all.

People show up in this thread sometimes complaining about combustion, and nine times out of ten the issue is on the user's end. As a vaporizer, the MFLB definitely has a learning curve, but many have found that if you stick with it and learn more about the box, the combustion issues vanish.

The reason Magic Flight is being tough on you is exactly that. The warranty is to be used when the product is damaged in such a way that it doesn't function correctly. They probably would be hesitant to replace a unit that may not have any problems besides user error. I found them very helpful when replacing my damaged box.

As OF said, if you're looking for a user-friendly device for your mother, the MFLB may not be the best option. It's far from plug and play, and requires finesse and significant attention while learning. I agree with that you should check out the Arizer Solo. It's quite user friendly and hard to use incorrectly. A dedicated desktop unit with temperature control might also be a good option, but I'm not too experienced with those.

Good luck in your search!

I'm pretty confident that my technique is fine as I've watched a lot of videos and read up a lot on this issue. I realize after some searches on my short time here that I should have gotten a different model like a desktop instead of a portable. It looks like some of the most popular are the Vapor rise & Arizer extreme Q. Between these two which is more user friendly?

caves

Living the vape life
It looks like some of the most popular are the Vapor rise & Arizer extreme Q. Between these two which is more user friendly?
I'm pretty sure both of those vapes have a thread in the plug-in forum. I'm sure the people there could help you out with your decision! :D

caves,

mixchu69

I'm pretty confident that my technique is fine as I've watched a lot of videos and read up a lot on this issue. I realize after some searches on my short time here that I should have gotten a different model like a desktop instead of a portable. It looks like some of the most popular are the Vapor rise & Arizer extreme Q. Between these two which is more user friendly?
i Know this is for a different post but the answer is Arizer Extreme. The company has a solid reputation. You should check out their thread.

mixchu69,

blazenot

what I wrote to MF
is there any way to trade in my clunky pa accessory for one of the newer, sleeker, handier 2.0 power models? I'd be glad to pay some $$ pro-rated for a new model; even though the old works fine --I don't want to be dishonest and claim a warranty--it's too clunky, if you get my meaning, never sits right and just isn't as classy-looking as the 2.0.
thanks
their answer
Thanks for reaching out to us here at Magic-Flight. We’re not able to upgrade a working Power Adapter, sorry, but if you have any functional issues in the future, we’ll take good care of you.

Please let me know if there are any questions left unanswered. We want you to be fully enabled to achieve optimal performance for your Launch Box and accessories.

i'm certainly ok with that!. thanks hobbit

OF

I'm pretty confident that my technique is fine as I've watched a lot of videos and read up a lot on this issue.

I would disagree. If you're getting combustion your technique needs some work. You're not controlling the heat well enough. Unlike units like say Solo you have to take an active role here. I think there's basically a zero chance it's defective. You must be keeping the heat on full time with fully charged 'glyph' batteries and a brand new box? Once the screen oxidizes (darkens some) and the batteries are used a few times it will be colder (they all 'cool off'). If you work with it I'm sure you too can sort it out, we all did (despite many problems for some).

On the larger question of 'is this a good vape for mom?' others might, as you say, be a better call.

Good luck with it. bit my advice would be to work with it. This thread got to 1000 pages because it's an outstanding vape. There is some 'learning curve' involved, not as bad as some, and ironically almost all on the 'not hot enough' or 'not making enough vapor for me' side of things.

BTW, I think mom is blessed to have such a son looking out for her.

OF

Dynalowrider

I can't understand why this is so hard to get. This little vape is so simple. There has to be less than a dollar US worth of parts in it. There is a block of wood with two (2) 10 gauge stainless steel wires, that have a stainless steel screen spot welded between them. Place herb on the screen put less than two volts DC into the wires. It creates a short, thereby heating up. The longer you hold the battery in the hotter it gets. The faster the air you draw through it the cooler it is, the slower the air the hotter it gets. The idea is to heat the herb to just before it combusts. Back when vaporizers were first being developed, you heated a glass globe with herb in it till it started to vaporize, you inhaled the vapor. This thing will not do it for you. I think this is probably the least expensive of all the vaporizers. It won't pump your lungs for you to make you inhale. It won't control the temp for you. You do.
I don't mean to sound condescending, but this "aint rocket science".

Dynalowrider

OF

I can't understand why this is so hard to get. This little vape is so simple. There has to be less than a dollar US worth of parts in it.

It won't control the temp for you. You do.
I don't mean to sound condescending, but this "aint rocket science".

I can only assume you don't have one, or don't understand it the same way I do? While simple in construction, it's far from "so simple" IMO.

Things like a few percent of one class of "battery" (really a cell) will effectively power it, all others have too high an internal resistance to supply the FIFTEEN AMPS needed to get sufficient heat. The shape of the trench, as well as it's material, were carefully developed over a long time (look up the Magic Flight Launch Tube). It uses, for instance, IR to help bring the load to temperature quickly. Attempts to duplicate the idea, like in Palm have been 'sub wonderful' by comparison.

It's open loop, like say VG, Bender and a personal favorite, Vapman. Like almost all vapes there's a 'learning curve', it's easier than many, but not trivial. Unfortunately folks buy them (and other vapes) expecting other things. From 'plug and play', to automatic perfect results, to flat out magic. There's a lot of clowns out the passing themselves off as experts, we discuss them 'all the time'. The last such round I recall was about VM, lots of bad information and advice (like "be sure to block the air inlets with your fingers") to an obviously faked 'big cloud' hit (way too fast, he had a mouthful of 'smoke' ready.....). With such 'I saw it on the web' information around it's small wonder to me some folks can innocently buy into the wrong game, expect things not in the cards (like 'I don't have to learn to control this, the chick in the utube didn't....'). Some, of course, 'take to it like a duck to water'.

I too don't mean to sound condescending either but IMO while it's not exactly 'rocket science' (and I've actually worked with real live Rocket Scientists whom I wouldn't trust to check the oil in my car.....) it's far from a simple thing. And while the materials are simple, their selection and application are anything but. "Elegant" is the term that comes to mind WRT the design. And the workmanship is to the absolute highest standards with benchmark Customer Support.

I don't consider it overpriced at all, for instance. And while we all know it takes learned skills to drive it correctly enough to get good results as you say, some are yet to learn that.

I'm just guessing you're not an owner. If you are, you sure don't see the little box the way I do.

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Attempts to duplicate the idea, like in Palm have been 'sub wonderful' by comparison.

I agree with everything you posted except your choice of the Palm as an example of a sub-wonderful imitator. I've owned both and the Palm 2 actually works with less powerful and more common batteries, and delivers superb flavour.

Justpassedu

Hey all after a few years i decided to recently get a new mflb , lost mine a few years ago and never came back until now since i have been pretty happy with my current setups . Main reason was i wanted something i can pick up hit and put down and come back to it later. The mflb is perfect for this. Now i have read through here many times and just had a few questions. I am using the glyph batteries, super finely grind-ed herb and i am only getting about 4-5 nice pull's per trench. I am wondering if this is normal or should i be getting more ? Also noticed many say there box gets very hot with the glyph's and i have 8 of them and i am not noticing this. Anyway it's nice to be back to such a simple , small amazing machine. I do wish it got a bit hotter though for my likes , i know i can get the PA but that would defeat the whole purpose for me as i have many desktops and want this to be my on the go vape.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The definition of 'nice pulls' may be where our mileage varies but I get at least 9 pulls before the trench starts to exhibit tiny black specs and starts to taste like popcorn. Another area where we may differ is how far up the trench you fill it. I've read where lining up with the very top of the trench isn't needed and the suggestion is to fill just below the top of the trench. I still fill it to the very top.

My glyphs get pretty hot when they are charging but unless I'm doing a burn off to clean the trench neither the batteries or the MFLB get hot. Slightly warm...yes but not hot.

Justpassedu

@Justpassedu
what technique are you using to get your pulls?
Freshly charged glyph's , Super fine grind , loosely drop in trench and not over filling. Hold battery in for 2-6 seconds and than begin to slowly draw , very slow , sometimes even try the method of inhaling through my nose only and letting that little bit of air coming through my mouth do the pulling.
owning the PA adds an overlooked on the go functionality, since it comes with a useful car adaptor.
yeah like i said this is my on the go vape , if i added the pa it would make it a desktop or even a portable desktop and i have other vape's for that. This 1 is sticking with its batteries only.

StormG94

Forever a student
I love my PA more than canned bread, but I agree, its just so convenient and to me a tad bit more personal when I throw the glyphs back in. That being said, maybe you are taking the box close to combustion, resulting in few but dense hits? I know if I wait 6 seconds to draw, even on my almost dead year and a half old glyphs, Im gonna be fighting smoke. Maybe start drawing sooner, shaking more, decrease duration of hit?

caves

Living the vape life
Freshly charged glyph's , Super fine grind , loosely drop in trench and not over filling. Hold battery in for 2-6 seconds and than begin to slowly draw , very slow , sometimes even try the method of inhaling through my nose only and letting that little bit of air coming through my mouth do the pulling.

Sound to me like you're jumping straight to the higher temperature end of things. That's nothing wrong with that, but your trench won't last as long.

I'd try giving it less heat up time. I've found that the MFLB heats up a lot faster than you'd expect, and a good portion of the time I'll start drawing immediately after engaging the battery.

You can also experiment with your draw speed. Drawing slightly faster will keep the temperature down and can make your trench last longer.

With a little finesse you can make trenches last a super long time. I'll typically get 20+ draws off of a full trench. Another thing to help out is using a water pipe or bubbler (like the Orbiter :D) to gauge vapor production. Being able to see the vapor being produced can really help out when refining draw speed and battery usage.

Good luck with your vaping!

axakal

all i wanted was, to point out, that the PA doesn't only turn the box into a desktop unit tied to your home, but in a portable in a broader sense with a larger source of energy, while keeping it small. i know the extreme Q has a car adaptor too. however, the overall package has bigger dimensions and your portable units will run out of juice eventually. but i'm not trying to convince you to get the PA, just calling attention to a different angle of its usability. it's not expensive and it might come in handy at times to have one in the glove compartment.

yeah like i said this is my on the go vape , if i added the pa it would make it a desktop or even a portable desktop and i have other vape's for that. This 1 is sticking with its batteries only.

Last edited:

Justpassedu

all i wanted was, to point out, that the PA doesn't only turn the box into a desktop unit tied to your home, but in a portable in a broader sense with a larger source of energy, while keeping it small. i know the extreme Q has a car adaptor too. however, the overall package has bigger dimensions and your portable units will run out of juice eventually. but i'm not trying to convince you to get the PA, just calling attention to a different angle of its usability. its not expensive and might come in handy at times to have one in the glove compartment.
I appreciate it and while the PA look's great it just doesn't have a place for me with this vape. I just got a arizer air and have plenty of extra batteries for it to the point that i wont be running out of juice. The mflb for me is like i said just a pick up and hit and go kinda vape. I needed something small that i can grab at anytime and take 1 hit or 2 and than leave it. I know my eq is portable also with the optional battery pack but it def doesn't have a place in the portable game. I think its great mf offers all of us the option to use the Pa and if i ever wanted to use my mflb around the house more it is something i would be looking into. Appreciate your advice.

OF

Sound to me like you're jumping straight to the higher temperature end of things. That's nothing wrong with that, but your trench won't last as long.

I'd try giving it less heat up time. I've found that the MFLB heats up a lot faster than you'd expect, and a good portion of the time I'll start drawing immediately after engaging the battery.

You can also experiment with your draw speed. Drawing slightly faster will keep the temperature down and can make your trench last longer.

With a little finesse you can make trenches last a super long time. I'll typically get 20+ draws off of a full trench. Another thing to help out is using a water pipe or bubbler (like the Orbiter :D) to gauge vapor production. Being able to see the vapor being produced can really help out when refining draw speed and battery usage.

Good luck with your vaping!

all i wanted was, to point out, that the PA doesn't only turn the box into a desktop unit tied to your home, but in a portable in a broader sense with a larger source of energy, while keeping it small.
I appreciate it and while the PA look's great it just doesn't have a place for me with this vape.

A sudden flurry of 'different techniques for different results'. Very cool IMO.

MFLB, along with several other time proven great vapes, offers such flexibility to us. My advice remains this is a proven, solid product. If your technique isn't giving you the results you want, experiment with other techniques. Not all vapes have such tolerance, this one does, celebrate/exploit it.

OF

VisiblyVaped

I'd like to thank Magic Flight once again for awesome customer service.
I have a box from awhile back that just won't heat, regardless how charged my batteries are.
I explained my situation, and after troubleshooting for a few emails they decided to just send me a brand new box once again.
Truly great service from a company who not only cares about their customers and their reputation, but will stand by their fantastic, no BS warranty always.

Thank you MFLB. I need my one/two hitter vape just as much as my others.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You can wait to see vapour form in your LB but I don't see why you would. I recommend taking little micro-hits starting right after you push in the battery. You'll taste the vapour as soon as it forms and you'll quickly learn how to control it by judging the taste and heat. You'll detect impending combustion easily.

I found the used mflb that I purchased to produce barely visible vapor if any at all. Some ppl say you aren't supposed to see any but I don't get any effect. Why would it be normal for other vapes to produce very visible vapor clouds but with this product you aren't supposed to get any? I'll pass for one of the heavy hitters.

VisiblyVaped

I found the used mflb that I purchased to produce barely visible vapor if any at all. Some ppl say you aren't supposed to see any but I don't get any effect. Why would it be normal for other vapes to produce very visible vapor clouds but with this product you aren't supposed to get any? I'll pass for one of the heavy hitters.

Although I'm an admitted cloud chaser, the MFLB has its place for quick medication. You can get wispy, visible vapor but even MFLBs tech team and support say the unit isn't meant to produce clouds, it's meant to deliver the goods in a conservative and efficient manner.
I usually prefer heavy hitters too but I certainly understand how and where the mflb is meant to fit in my arsenal.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
It is a heavy hitter and it produces pretty large clouds

Top Bottom