ILoveFrostyLeaves

Well, my new friends, it arrived this afternoon, and at this very moment, I'm packing the trench.
After a week of researching, reading reviews, and learning how it's supposed to be used, this is it: the maiden voyage for my Launch Box... Here it goes...

wow. i've taken five hits of decent regs. which is mersh ( low low lowwww quality stuff). and i'm up there. this box took me to the mesosphere.

thank you, magic flight. the vapor was warm and comforting (as opposed to harsh harsh sahara hits from a bowl or joint) and the taste and aroma...to die for. i can really appreciate my herb now, because the vapor is so smooth. i left my worries of extremely damaging my body hundreds of miles below me. i absolutely love how much it prolongs the use of my herb. i've only used .1 grams in this trench, and when i realized that, my jaw dropped. and best of all... there's another hit left before the herb has to hit the film canister ( the little container the the magic flight came with, i put my herb in there). the only thing i'm bummed about is how the battery will die soon =/. but an investment in quality batteries and a quick charger will make this vape absolutely flawless. wow, i wrote a lot...

ILoveFrostyLeaves,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
rileyman said:
ok anyway i managed to find one of my "sticks" :lol::lol:
it fell off my bed and my cat started playing with it and i found it in the corner of my room..
anyway quick question: does the whip for the magic flight cool the vapor more than the stick does? is the coolness of the vapor noticeable?
the longer the air path, the cooler the vapor. So, 'yes'.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
nicko00 said:
Which batteries are better

eneloop 2000 mah

eneloop 2700 mah

powerex 2700 mah

also will the powerex batteries charge with the sanyo charger that comes with the LB? thanks!
Higher mAh # means it should last longer. Sanyo Eneloop or Powerex Imedion are low discharge, so that type is better if you're going to charge batteries and store them for an extended period. For charge, then use immediately situations, regular NiMH are fine. As for Eneloop 2700, as far as I know, there is no such battery yet. The included charger will work with Powerex.

max,

chloe

max said:
nicko00 said:

eneloop 2000 mah

eneloop 2700 mah

powerex 2700 mah

also will the powerex batteries charge with the sanyo charger that comes with the LB? thanks!
Higher mAh # means it should last longer. Sanyo Eneloop or Powerex Imedion are low discharge, so that type is better if you're going to charge batteries and store them for an extended period. For charge, then use immediately situations, regular NiMH are fine. As for Eneloop 2700, as far as I know, there is no such battery yet. The included charger will work with Powerex.
i vape daily all day so higher mah is more important to me since the batteries never get stored longer than a day or 2, however when the power module comes out I can see the transition happen where these batteries will be stored much longer so the LSD would be more beneficial for me..keep that in mind how you use it....if your usage is home usage then LSD may be better if you are planning on purchasing the power module at some point, but if your usage is in public (no access to an outlet) and you do so frequently, then go for the higher MAH

** and about the whip...yes it does it cool it assuming you left the hose at the original size which is longer than the plastic stem....you can also place the small plastic stem as a mouthpiece (if you have 2 since you need at least 1 when you use the hose) which is easier on the lips and doesn't get as much lint and stuff stuck as the hose does

and if you are going to do the double end short stem + tube to make it bendable, another advantage of this is when you are vertical, it allows you to use the box horizontal and push it below lip level so you can see down at the light with the box perfectly horizontal...i really like the bendable straw since it is very flexible and you can always maintain the box horizontal....

it is true if you use it native you don't have to worry so much about the above since you can see the light regardless, but if you use a long stem to cool your vapor, then that is when it makes it difficult to see if the light is on since it pushes the box further away from your line of sight and requires a tilt in box to see the light....so i opt for the bendable straw..another reason i don't use native as much is when you pass it around going native you end up with the box having some dried up dead skin cells around the hole which you can scratch off but its a bit nasty (esp male to male :lol: in my case sometimes) but if you ride solo or share it with a significant other and don't mind the warmth of the vapor, then best to go native...otherwise you have options...and my #1 is the 2 short stems with a smaller hose inbetween

:peace:

chloe,

nicko00

max said:
nicko00 said:

eneloop 2000 mah

eneloop 2700 mah

powerex 2700 mah

Sorry I guess these aren't "eneloops" but they are made from sanyo, Here they are

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-NiMH-Re...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267345498&sr=8-1

the higher mah the longer it will last for that charge? so if I use the 2700 mah the LB will not perform better but the battery will last longer for that charge vs a 2000 mah battery? THANKS!

nicko00,

brooklynboro

Hey, I'm new to the forum. For about 6 months, I've owned a Volcano, decided I was going to cut down and then sold it. I ended up going back to smoking for a few months, until i started to feel gross and had begun to miss my vape. So I recently decided to go with a more portable option so I went ahead and bought a Magic Flight Launch Box.

At first glance I was amazed with the sheer size of the thing. So I charged up the batteries and went ahead and soon was enjoying my flight ;)
Now taking a more detailed second look at the unit, I discovered some interesting and controversial issues.
I've included a rendering of the unit for better understanding. If you take a look at the unit there are clearly 2 chambers: One for the herbs, and the second is to hold the battery. Now in between the chambers is a wall of wood which contains 2 drill openings (labeled A and B). These holes are partially plugged up with copper wire. Finally there is a corresponding hole on the outer wall of the unit that is lined up with opening A and was caused by the same drilling.
Now here's the issue: As you may or may not know NiMH batteries use a venting system, where a vent is located at the + side of the battery in order to release any accumulated gases, in the event of overcharging or an electrical short. Well, couldn't it be possible that in the event that the battery is/has vented, for it's gases to migrate from the battery chamber through the holes, and into the herb chamber, upon suction?
Again the copper wire does partially plug up the orifices although not completely, and under a small test I went ahead and pulled some air out of the unit, with my finger sitting in the battery chamber and felt the suction through the holes.

I don't want to sound all paranoid but this seems like a hazardous situation no matter how small , especially under prolonged use. Given: the batteries only vent while overheated and usually while charging, what about the accumulated 'hazardous dust' particles resting at the top of the battery from a previous battery venting.
The only safeguard that I truly see here is the coincidental outer drill hole and the battery opening which may both act as air vents, although I am not even sure if it would be effective. Air flowing inward doesn't remove the gas and other material.
I'm all for health first, ad that is why I chose to vape, though this seems like an issue to be discussed. I appreciate your time.

brooklynboro,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
brooklynboro said:
I'm all for health first, ad that is why I chose to vape, though this seems like an issue to be discussed.
I also vaporize for health concerns, and have for a while.

Just the thought of this saddens me because I truly love my little LB. I hope it's not a concern at all.

Vicki,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay we can wait for Magic Flight to post but from what I am reading the only time the batteries should vent gas is during crisis such as overcharge/discharge situations. It is NOT routine for them to vent during use. Don't freak out just yet folks :2c:

Lo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Don't take this with anything other than a very big grain of salt, since I graduated with a chem degree a while ago, but....

However, in cases of charger failure or improper cell/charger design for the operating environment, it is possible that oxygen, or even hydrogen, will be generated faster than it can be recombined. In such cases the safety vent will open to reduce the pressure and prevent cell rupture. The vent reseals once the pressure is relieved.

Taken from http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf

This phenomena which *CAN* occur in cases of over or improper charging does not affect dischargingof the cell. We are talking about generation of hydrogen and/or oxygen at the positive pole, which then migrates to the negative pole where it recombines.

Take it for what it is; open presentation of data and information (in particular, note the graph where it displays increasing temperature and pressure as a function of charge percentage). Finally, discharge chemistry is entirely different than charging chemistry, even if your batteries would get hot because you leave them in the Magic Flight for a tad too long.

Bottom line is; I am not worried.

Tom

tdavie,

brooklynboro

Nicely put tdavie, and Magic Flight responded with something similar. Although, I still find it a bit uneasy. Here's what they had to say before I tried the suction test. "It is my understanding that the battery is unlikely to vent unless
significantly overcharged (during the charging process) -- i.e., it is
not expected to do so while in use in the Box. However, even if the
battery did vent for some unknown/unexpected reason, there is no
direct communication between the battery chamber and the vaporization
chamber -- so it should not be a problem (the main conducting rods
seal the holes). Also, as you note, the positive end of the battery
chamber has a ready exit to the back end of the Box, again providing a
release in the unlikely event of battery venting or leaking."

Unfortunately, "(the main conducting rods
seal the holes). " this is NOT TRUE as air still passes!

brooklynboro,

Beezleb

Even so with it not forming a perfect seal, keep in mind, these are made from wood and not a perfect material for forming seals that would be expected a long period of time, especially when being heated and cooled over and over. Overall I find it a non issue for myself especially when you consider what the odds must be. I see it as a bunch of what if's dependent on something that is said is not even able to happen. If true than its a none issue.

Darn good question, one of the best I seen in awhile as it got a bunch of people thinking.

Beezleb,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Forgot to say that I work in a lab where we (I) run gas chromatography 2-3 times per week, using Helium as a carrier gas, and hydrogen/oxygen as an detector gas run through a flame ionizer. There is only 99% combustion, and about 1% each of oxygen and hydrogen venting to the atmosphere. The lab in which I work (and every other lab including the ones which use GC setups) are routinely safety inspected. GC release/vent gas has *never* been an issue.

It is interesting to consider how the Launch Box works, but the temporary proximity of the AA nimh cell to my face, even while it is discharging, doesn't worry me. But I can understand if it gives others pause for thought.

Tom

tdavie,
Reactions: ntaylor

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
brooklynboro said:
I still find it a bit uneasy.
Understood that you feel this way -- and of course, you are welcome to feel whatever is natural for you. It is not my role nor my intention to try to "convince" you to feel at ease when your are disinclined to do so. My aim is only to inform and educate to the best of my knowledge and ability -- whatever you choose to do or think at that point is your own will.

As has been mentioned previously (and confirmed by others -- thank you), the battery is unlikely to vent unless subjected to extreme circumstances -- direct exposure to fire, significant overcharging, etc. Although a significant number of Boxes have been made and deployed over the last several months, I have never once heard of even one incidence of any type of battery venting or leakage at all. For whatever its worth, it is my feeling that this is not a significant concern, based upon all of the evidence I have seen so far to date.

Aside from having already pointed out that the battery is very unlikely to vent in any way while in use in the Box, is there any sort of additional information that would be helpful?

brooklynboro said:
Unfortunately, "(the main conducting rods seal the holes). " this is NOT TRUE as air still passes!
I am not sure your test of this was performed correctly. To double check, I took two units down to the lab and had a bowl area cover-plate glued on (this also blocked the air inlet channel). We then connected 5 PSI of air pressure to the draw hole and submerged the entire unit under water. No bubbles were observed in either case, even after several minutes -- the rods do in fact seal, at least with respect to pressures far in excess of the level of negative air pressure possible to produce with a human body.

As has been mentioned before, these are wooden products and it is possible that some units out there have less than perfect assembly. However, given the nature of the drilling and fitting performed, this is actually rather unlikely. Near as I can tell, they seal tight every time.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,
Reactions: ntaylor

B.

War Criminal
^^^ agreed. I'm glad to hear this seems to be a non issue. I knew it would be even before you gave us your info. My mind also went down this road: Lets say the seal is imperfect, and for some reason you actually inhaled on the rare occasion your battery did have to vent for some odd reason...it would not happen with every hit, and would only happen very rarely-unlike combustion, which exposes you to known deadly compounds without fail. Every time. This means, at least to me, that even if using my LB meant I'd inhale a minute amount of battery vent stuff(whatever it actually is) on very rare occasions, which I would be able to limit thru avoiding conditions that would cause this battery venting, it would still be better than combusting. :2c:

But, I am a big fan of being the devil' s advocate, and of questioning things that should be questioned. So Brooklyn, thanks for that. Seriously. Also, I believe what you have labeled "vent" is not actually a vent. I believe, and I could be wrong, that that hole is needed for the construction process, and that is it's reason for being there.

B.,

Qbit

cannabanana
You know there might be something to this. I've been having a few health issues since getting my MFLB 3 monhs ago, and I'm concerned there might be some connection. I really hope this isn't the case as I love the little thing, but I guess this needs looking into.

As you can see for yourselves, here is a photo of me last November:

a7pddg9td9qzdd9a.jpg

And here is one of me this afternoon:

robocop_l.jpg

I'll check with my doctor first though.

Qbit,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Funny Qbit!

MF...thanks for the testing and response. Btw, does anyone even know what it would look or sound like if a battery vented? I know I don't, and I could imagine it would get missed and never reported if it happened to me.

stickstones,

brooklynboro

Well I don't want to drag this on to eternity, but correct me if I'm wrong: if you glued down the plastic cover, and you submerge the entire unit into water, and you suck/blow air out of the draw hole wouldn't this consist of a vacuum regardless? You wouldn't ever see any bubbles as all air gets trapped in the unit.
Like Magic Flight said it could be my particular unit that is ill built.

Anyhow, what initially got me worried Stickstones was the fact that the other day my batteries were making contact with one and other for about a minute and started to overheat. I'm not exactly sure if anyone would be aware of a battery in the venting process. I'm assuming you'd know upon inhalation but I'm still not sure.
Also, what happens if the vents fail to close once process is complete!?

aaaaahhhhh what if... enough.

Finaly B, yes that hole is for construction purposes.

brooklynboro,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^^
They sealed the unit up and blew air into it. If the holes that are sealed by the copper wires allowed any airflow it would have bubbled out the battery chamber. So this tests confirms the seal of the unit tested.

stickstones,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@brooklynboro Your batteries heated up because you 'shorted' them. That is still discharge chemistry.

Tom

tdavie,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Nice to hear this one's probably no real reason for concern. I kinda figured it wouldn't be, since teh batteries usually dont even get very hot during normal usage, and it seems like something that would have happened by now to someone out there if it was going to. Maybe batteries from different manufacturers might not be as stable or safe (i have no clue) but the ones that come with it seem to be pretty awesome.

And i found a nice little grinder at a local gas station that has been working perfectly for me. Its got the pointy pyramid shaped metal teeth and a plastic outer shell, so its not too heavy overall and doesnt bang things up too bad in the bag i keep the stuff in. Plus it's got a storage compartment built into the top lid that holds as much as the grinder part does, so I can grind things up (get it pretty fine too, with this drier herb i got this week i was able to get it to a nice fine consistency) and then just dump the bottom part of the grinder into ther storage compartment on the lid. i don't know how much i'm actually going to use it for that though. I got one of those hemp-blend "dime bags" off the DBV site, and the smell/spill proof pouch inside of the one inner pocket is so perfect, it really does what it says. So i usually keep all my herb in bag inside of there cause as soon as you take it out you can smell it lol.

I've been getting some really nice rips off this thing, loving it more by the day. the situation necessitated that i use the box w/o a stem the other day and, i'm not sure how related this is to my not using a stem, but i got a bunch of great hits out of it, like half a dozen big ones out of a not quite filled bowl. my lip got uncomfortably hot on a couple hits, but i think it just didnt have my mouth over the hole completely. The last couple hits started tasting kinda bleh (not like it had been burnt tho,) i think more powdery ABV gets on my mouth this way is whats causing it. But i just stash the stuff when it gets to tasting like that, because even if i hit it a few more times and try to get all i can out of it, i'm usually still able to get more out w/ my DBV, so i just quit when it gets unpleasant and pick up there later on. So it works perfect for me, in conjunction with my desktop model. If the hits were run through water or maybe even a longer hose, i think they would remain pleasant for longer.

steiner666,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I am also glad. I can't worry about all the "what if's" or I'd go crazy. ;)

I love this little box, and I'm still recommending it to people. :)

Vicki,

alucard

If the battery leaked wouldn't it merely release hydrogen? What substance is it that we are concerned might be potentially inhaled? (Even if it has been shown this won't happen, I'm still curious as to what the original worry was about)

alucard,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
This vaporizer is not just good for portable purposes, but is awesome in a power outage! :D

I knew I would also be using it in those circumstances, but got the chance to actually do it today. It is so nice to have piece of mind, knowing I will always be able to vap my medicine. Whether there is electricity available or not, even at home! Have I said how much I love this little thing....oh yes, I have, but can't help repeating myself. :lol: :p

Vicki,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Vicki said:
This vaporizer is not just good for portable purposes, but is awesome in a power outage! :D

I knew I would also be using it in those circumstances, but got the chance to actually do it today. It is so nice to have piece of mind, knowing I will always be able to vap my medicine. Whether there is electricity available or not, even at home!
LoL i just thought about that the other day when i was using my LB in the dark. as much as i love my DBV, it would be out of commission in a regular outage or most of your average zombie apocalypses, and that's when you need to vape most i think! lol

Vicki said:
Have I said how much I love this little thing....oh yes, I have, but can't help repeating myself. :lol: :p
I think a lot of us have that problem, hence the 80-some page thread, lol.

steiner666,
Top Bottom