JeeSee

Cultured Curmudgeon
Whoa, thanks for the quick replies guys. I have noticed that my batteries tend to get blazing hot while charging/using. Problem is, especially while charging, I can't keep a constant watch to make sure they're cool. How many months of about a trench or two a day (I hit a trench about 20-25 times) until I'll need to change the batteries?
Also, a few hits in, when the load is really dry, I crush it into a fine powder - however, sometimes this powder gets through the mesh and onto my tongue. I haven't been crushing it all that fine ever since I realized this. Does this happen to you?
Also, I thought I should use the ispropyl for the wood... huh. Shows how ignorant I am. Is there a link to a good cleaning method that won't damage my LB? It's passed around a lot, so especially around the drawhole there's a blackish layer of accumulated... something (saliva?) that I'd really love to get out. How can I do this? How often should I clean the LB, and what method do you suggest as least invasive and most easy?
Thanks so much guys. Don't vaporize tobacco, it'll make you sick.

JeeSee,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Whoa, thanks for the quick replies guys. I have noticed that my batteries tend to get blazing hot while charging/using. Problem is, especially while charging, I can't keep a constant watch to make sure they're cool. How many months of about a trench or two a day (I hit a trench about 20-25 times) until I'll need to change the batteries?
Also, a few hits in, when the load is really dry, I crush it into a fine powder - however, sometimes this powder gets through the mesh and onto my tongue. I haven't been crushing it all that fine ever since I realized this. Does this happen to you?
Also, I thought I should use the ispropyl for the wood... huh. Shows how ignorant I am. Is there a link to a good cleaning method that won't damage my LB? It's passed around a lot, so especially around the drawhole there's a blackish layer of accumulated... something (saliva?) that I'd really love to get out. How can I do this? How often should I clean the LB, and what method do you suggest as least invasive and most easy?
Thanks so much guys. Don't vaporize tobacco, it'll make you sick.

If you batteries get that hot during charging then there's your problem. Heat destroys them in a hurry. They should get warm but not so hot you can't hold them in your hand. You should toss them and get new batteries. The stock batteries are Powerex Imedion 2400s, which are low self-discharge. If you're using your batteries so munch you have to charge daily, then you might consider high-discharge batteries. Make sure they have enough capacity (mAH at least 2000 but higher is better).

I do much the same thing you do after a few hits, but I've never crushed it fine enough to pass through the screen. Don't do that.

For tips about cleaning, see Maintenance and Cleaning in Vaporpedia.

Edited to add: In your part of the world it is easy to find counterfeit high mAH batteries, so beware. If they claim more than 2700 mAH don't trust them.

pakalolo,

mudshark

Vaporist
Smart battery chargers like my Maha MH-C401FS charge depleted stock Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries in about 6-8 hours. The slower you recharge the less hot the batteries get. The less hot the batteries get the larger number of recharge cycles you can expect during the batteries lifetime.

For comparison, my stock MFLB charger charges two (2) depleted LSD batteries in about 2 hours. The batteries get fairly warm to the touch. I only use the stock MFLB charger occasionally as I feel the LSD batteries get too hot during the recharge process.

Some users like the Maha MH-C9000 charger. It has five modes of operation: 1) charging, 2) refresh & analyze, 3) break-in, 4) discharge, and 5) cycle. This will be my next smart charger.

mudshark,
Reactions: OF

OF

Whoa, thanks for the quick replies guys. I have noticed that my batteries tend to get blazing hot while charging/using. Problem is, especially while charging, I can't keep a constant watch to make sure they're cool.

It's passed around a lot, so especially around the drawhole there's a blackish layer of accumulated... something (saliva?) that I'd really love to get out. How can I do this?

First off, you're very welcome, happy to help when I can.

I keep discharge temperature in check with rotating batteries. I use several and swap them when they get warm and let them cool with another does the work. I find they do more hits each this way. Normally I go out with loaded trench and 3 more loads (.375 grams) and 3 charged batteries. I run out of herb before electricity this way.

On charging, try for better air circulation. Like near a fan. The only way the batteries can cool when charging is with cold air on the outside (conduction). You might also look for a slower charger. Everyone's in a hurry, fast means high charge rate, high charge rate means hot. They push the hot part to the wall to beat their competition out of the sale.

The box is hardwood, with an oil finish. Fine steel wool (0000) does a wonderful job of buffing the junk off the surface. To make it easy to keep clean, I give mine several coats of hard wax (like floor wax). So protected such stuff usually wipes off with a damp cloth. Do the clean mechanically, don't use chemicals....except as Brother Pakalolo points out sparingly on the metal only.

OF

OF,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Smart battery chargers like my Maha MH-C401FS charge depleted stock Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries in about 6-8 hours. The slower you recharge the less hot the batteries get. The less hot the batteries get the larger number of recharge cycles you can expect during the batteries lifetime.

For comparison, my stock MFLB charger charges two (2) depleted LSD batteries in about 2 hours. The batteries get fairly warm to the touch. I only use the stock MFLB charger occasionally as I feel the LSD batteries get too hot during the recharge process.

Some users like the Maha MH-C9000 charger. It has five modes of operation: 1) charging, 2) refresh & analyze, 3) break-in, 4) discharge, and 5) cycle. This will be my next smart charger.

I'm not familiar with that charger but Maha makes good products and if it defaults to a charging cycle that long, then I have to assume it's okay. Having said that, it is possible to attempt to charge NiMH batteries too slowly. See the article on NiMH charging at Battery University.

I have the C9000 and I set it up to perform a full charge in about two hours. That was based on settings to give the optimum C rate for the batteries I have. Read more at Battery University if you don't know what C rate is.

I have absolutely no doubt that no matter which model of charger Magic-Flight sent you, it will not damage your batteries unless it is defective.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I use this credit card style grinder from V-syndicate for everything. It's got two different grinding surfaces, one for combustion and one for vaporization. It gives me the best grind I've ever had for the MFLB.
Yeah man, I've seen these before but I feel like maybe they're much more well-suited for combustion or desktop vapes that don't rely on surface area as much as the LB. I've seen some of BigDaddy's trenches with a very nice grind, but lately I've taken to running my meds through a coffee grinder and getting a near-powder consistency, as pictured below. I find that this works the best and produces lots of vapors quickly, but at the trade-off of easier combustion/blackening if I'm not paying too much attention. It feels like 3 milky bongs of this powdered stuff = 5-7 of what I was running through it before with my Space Case. Also curious as to everyone else's grind consistencies...

I know it looks like pure kief, but I promise it was 4g's (minus the stems) of Chocolope. All flower :)

V6iFr.jpg

That's pretty fine. I quite like the grind I get from a that specific card grinder, it's a little more coarse than yours, but still fairly powdery. I usually take one or two hits, then just finger grind the herb a little further right in the trench. By that point it's a little dryer, and easy to get that kief-like consistency. I typically use my MFLB on the go. The credit card grinder allows me to just carry the MFLB, as I can throw a nug in then grind it later if I don't have time before I run out.

I've only ever combusted once, on maybe my second or third try.

kingofnull,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The credit card grinder allows me to just carry the MFLB, as I can throw a nug in then grind it later if I don't have time before I run out.
Wow, that's genius. Seriously. I never thought of it that way. I myself am familiar with the "two hit crush" method, I used it every time I vaped with my Space Case ground stuff, but all I have to do now is shake my box. It's already fine enough that crushing will only make it slightly more powdery.

How easy is it to use one of those? Do you hurt your fingers if you miss/grind through? I can't imagine that it would handle sticky stuff too well, right?

Not that I'm trying to nitpick, I'm really curious. Might get one just to have around :)

Quetzalcoatl,
I've been using this for over a year and I've never cut myself when missing a grind.

Wetter and stickier herbs are harder to grind, but you can still do it by applying more pressure. I generally apply very light pressure. Kief-screen-pressure is usually sufficient.

It's nice to always have grinder on me. I sharpened one edge to give me a decent cutting edge and for "gathering". I paid somewhere between $3 and $7 for mine. It's worth getting one with two different grades in case you decide you want a combust grind.

kingofnull,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Who wants to see me milk this BEAST with an itsy, bitsy MFLB!?

22" of 60mm lower wall, 70mm perc wall, 50mm upper wall.

I'm thinking I'm going to kick its ass (or pass out trying).

20120803_194553.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
OMG. I had this whole dramatic post of failure, but ultimately victory that the little MFLB stood mighty and proud, went toe-to-toe.

I lost the whole damn thing. Damn... I'm uhmm... highly medicated.

@#$% that. We kicked 'dat ass! I refused to accept a draw. So I gave it one last go (before I passed out).

MFLB trench AFTER the rip, no flip during. Several... post flips. To show absence of combustion. I always say... FUCK COMBUSTION, ya know? ;)
20120804_055225.jpg

Full-screen HD 1080

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I gave up on my magic flight because the hits were never large enough and it never really got me 'high' just kind of a mellow buzz.

For ages I have been telling people who say this that they just haven't got their technique right, but most of them don't believe me. Now BDV has given me lots of proof that what I say is true. He's a LB hero.

pakalolo,

luchiano

Yeah man, I've seen these before but I feel like maybe they're much more well-suited for combustion or desktop vapes that don't rely on surface area as much as the LB. I've seen some of BigDaddy's trenches with a very nice grind, but lately I've taken to running my meds through a coffee grinder and getting a near-powder consistency, as pictured below. I find that this works the best and produces lots of vapors quickly, but at the trade-off of easier combustion/blackening if I'm not paying too much attention. It feels like 3 milky bongs of this powdered stuff = 5-7 of what I was running through it before with my Space Case. Also curious as to everyone else's grind consistencies...

I know it looks like pure kief, but I promise it was 4g's (minus the stems) of Chocolope. All flower :)

V6iFr.jpg

That grind is perfect and wonderful for a technique I use for the most potent hit you can get out of any vaporizer, at least to me, based on the fact that the MFLB heats up so fast and doesn't need you to inhale to boil substances.

It goes like this. Use herb that is ground up like in this picture but use way less so air can go throughout the herb more easier and doesn't cool of because plant matter has cellulose which absorbs heat. Just use enough that is covering the screen and spread out to where you can still see some of the screen. Now when you heat up the herb just let it heat up without inhaling. The power adapter is best for this but the battery can work. When you press in on the button to start the heat up turn the dial on the Power adapter every second for 6-7 seconds. Once the seconds are up stop heating and absorb the vapor until your lungs are full and then exhale slowly with pursed lips(like your kissing someone) so you you will slow down the exhale and absorb whatever that didn't get fully absorbed if any.

Dump the vaped herb and repeat the process with fresh herb until you vape around .2 grams or until you are done and prepare to be in awe.

The reason why this is so potent is because they way the body and lungs handle thick vapor/smoke. When you make clouds most of the clouds don't get absorbed because air is MUCH lighter than vapor so it can push it's way through the vapor(which is why convection works better than most conduction vaporizers for releasing cannabinoids and other substances. It is light and when heated can go though plant matter quickly) and the first seconds on the inhale where the vapor is light(more air to dense vapor) is getting absorbed whereas the heavier vapor that makes up the bulk of the bong or inhale will just sit in the lungs or condense depending on how long you hold the inhale. Then the body thinks there is something wrong because very little oxygen is coming in AND the actives in the vapor are getting the bodies system moving but when there is little oxygen to break things down the body goes into fight or flight or as some say an adrenaline rush. This may feel good the first few times of doing it but in the long run you will raise your tolerance due to the body lowering receptors and the receptors themselves becoming weak which means needing more than you previously used to get blasted and if you do that again the same thing will happen so in the end this isn't the best method. Diet plays a part also but lets just keep it in this area.

This method makes the MFLB the best vaporizer in terms of getting blazed fast and easily as well as being efficient because you are wasting VERY LITTLE vapor on the exhale as well as not causing a reaction in your body that will raise your tolerance. If it had exact temperatures I would give it a higher rate than the Aromed overall but being that it heats up so fast that may be too hard to do for the company and even for users because people will be trying to adjust the fast heat to what they want and probably end up not using it right. It's good enough for now.

Anyway, have fun.

Ben Katz

For ages I have been telling people who say this that they just haven't got their technique right, but most of them don't believe me.

I'm not disbelieving you, but I just want you to know that I smoked about 2 ounces through it while practicing my technique, and read up and watched everything I could about proper inhaling. I may not be doing it right, but I do get medium sized hits. It just doesn't put me were I want to be. Like I said I can get some good sized hits, it just doesn't really get my high enough for my liking.

This may not be the place to ask and if it isn't I'm sorry I'm new here. But I have a magic flight box I will be selling once the option becomes available for me. To avoid sending drug paraphernalia through the mail how am I too clean it before sending it? Or am I to put it in an airtight container? What am I to do?

I think this counts as a tip for a smooth transaction, haha.

Ben Katz,

luchiano

I'm not disbelieving you, but I just want you to know that I smoked about 2 ounces through it while practicing my technique, and read up and watched everything I could about proper inhaling. I may not be doing it right, but I do get medium sized hits. It just doesn't put me were I want to be. Like I said I can get some good sized hits, it just doesn't really get my high enough for my liking.

DAMN, 2 ounces?. There is definitely something you aren't doing right and chances are you are not inhaling soft enough and causing the temperature to dip too much, you aren't breaking up your bud good enough or you aren't holding the battery in long enough or all three because there is no way you did everything right and couldn't get what you wanted just based on the fact that the MFLB goes through different temperatures quickly therefore releasing everything if you left the battery in long enough.

If you were referring to another vaporizer then I can understand and even then it may have been personal error but with MFLB it definitely is personal error or it may just be running cool but I doubt it. Can you explain to me how you use it?.

luchiano,
Reactions: Vicki

Ben Katz

I know I did the battery well so that couldn't be it. And my bud isn't as powdery as it could be, but definitely does the job if not more. So the problem is the softness of the hits, well I have a problem.

I do draw at a slow pace and get medium bleh hits. I have too low of a lung capacity for a soft inhale and by the time the good thick vapor comes in my mouth(giggle all you want) and I can't inhale deeper. Maybe if I did some exercise and breathing treatments I could get my lung capacity back to normal (heavy smoker and combuster for 3 years). I'll work on that, and then try it again with the soft inhale.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Ben Katz,

luchiano

Try the method I mentioned above and see how that works for you. It sounds like it's exactly what you need. Just hold the battery in for around 15 seconds then stop and inhale. Once you get the hang of it you can hold it in for a few seconds longer to get a heavier effect or shorter for more flavor then hold it in longer to get just the thc to be released.

Since you don't have powdered herb just use a small amount and after one to two heat ups just powder the herb by crushing it with your fingers as the moisture will be low enough to break it up real fine. Make sure you spread it apart so air can come into contact with as much plant material as possible.

luchiano,
Top Bottom