AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
aesthyrian - I read your post a little too late, already placed an order for a Zap adapter. That's a really awesome deal though, and you can't beat the free shipping. Might be worth placing an order there as well, always good to have back-ups.

chucku - I had a brain fart and realized after I posted I could get my adapter from Rick. Happy to continue giving him my business, couldn't imagine life without my Zap...

Nice to see IL representing the MF thread right now...

AgentofChaos,

wot

Could anyone help and post up a picture of what properly vaped ABV should look like?

I understand brand new MFLBs have the possibility of running hotter than normal (break-in period?). The first 20 (approximately) trenches yielded slightly blackened ABV, though lighter and lighter each time -- it's at a brownish tint now. I'm not 100% on the color though.

wot,

weedemon

enthusiast
wot said:
Could anyone help and post up a picture of what properly vaped ABV should look like?

I understand brand new MFLBs have the possibility of running hotter than normal (break-in period?). The first 20 (approximately) trenches yielded slightly blackened ABV, though lighter and lighter each time -- it's at a brownish tint now. I'm not 100% on the color though.

you should see definite browning, but depending on your hitting technique you can be getting a different vaporzone. i like to hit (causing a whistle sound so i know the chamber is cleared), pause for 3-5 seconds hit(during this time i shake if the weed was disturbed from the hit), pause for 3-5 hit, and continue. this way i hit higher temps with it.

i also stop and regrind with my fingers once mid session.

my abv is 1/4 the size it was a fresh herb, and completely brown when done. (i can still save up 3+ trenches and get a bag out of the volcano with this method though)

weedemon,

collegerower

aesthyrian said:
chucku said:
But the Zapman will get it to you much faster.

Yes, he will get ONE lower quality adapter to you faster.

So yes, you pay to not wait. I'm just trying to save some patient folks some cash and let them in on a good deal that I know isn't a scam since I have waited for my order to arrive before endorsing it. 5 for the price of one seemed like a killer deal to me.

this is a great deal but I don't need 5 of them. if a few people were interested in splitting up an order of these I would be interested.

collegerower,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
collegerower said:
aesthyrian said:
chucku said:
But the Zapman will get it to you much faster.

Yes, he will get ONE lower quality adapter to you faster.

So yes, you pay to not wait. I'm just trying to save some patient folks some cash and let them in on a good deal that I know isn't a scam since I have waited for my order to arrive before endorsing it. 5 for the price of one seemed like a killer deal to me.

this is a great deal but I don't need 5 of them. if a few people were interested in splitting up an order of these I would be interested.

You can get them for about 8$ shipped, from the USA on Ebay which is the same price as Blissville basically.

Vaporisateur,

wot

weedemon said:
you should see definite browning, but depending on your hitting technique you can be getting a different vaporzone. i like to hit (causing a whistle sound so i know the chamber is cleared), pause for 3-5 seconds hit(during this time i shake if the weed was disturbed from the hit), pause for 3-5 hit, and continue. this way i hit higher temps with it.
i also stop and regrind with my fingers once mid session.
my abv is 1/4 the size it was a fresh herb, and completely brown when done. (i can still save up 3+ trenches and get a bag out of the volcano with this method though)

^^^That makes sense. Thanks for your super fast reply, weedemon.

So additionally, I'm guessing any uneven browning probably means:

1. Grind is not fine enough.
2. Shake it between hits more.

wot,

Surf Monkey

weedemon said:
So additionally, I'm guessing any uneven browning probably means:

1. Grind is not fine enough.
2. Shake it between hits more.

Based on my limited experience with the box, that sounds right. I've been getting better hits and more consistent burn since switching to a much finer grind and being very careful to fully shake the box up between hits. Also, I find that using the box in "native mode" allows me to regulate the temperature better and make sure that I don't get slight combustion. The screen will get too hot if you draw too slowly and won't stay hot enough if you draw too fast. In native mode you can feel the heat coming out of the box and alter your draw accordingly.

Surf Monkey,

wot

Surf Monkey said:
Based on my limited experience with the box, that sounds right. I've been getting better hits and more consistent burn since switching to a much finer grind and being very careful to fully shake the box up between hits. Also, I find that using the box in "native mode" allows me to regulate the temperature better and make sure that I don't get slight combustion. The screen will get too hot if you draw too slowly and won't stay hot enough if you draw too fast. In native mode you can feel the heat coming out of the box and alter your draw accordingly.
A mortar & pestle sounds like it could grind pretty well...something like: http://www.amazon.com/Large-Grey-Ma...7U52/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304525298&sr=8-6

Perhaps better than a traditional herb grinder? :D

wot,

Surf Monkey

I'm not sure grinding it THAT fine is necessary. You want it fine, but not keif fine. Magic Flight recommends grinding it fine enough to pass through a standard window screen.

Surf Monkey,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
vap999 said:
For those interested in such things, a U.S. patent application covering the Launch Box has published. See http://www.google.be/patents?id=pybwAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false (and the associated claims, description and drawings). This might deserve mention in the Vaporpedia.

I am definitely interested in such a thing, and it was an interesting read. The application clearly covers the methodology and not particularly the implementation in the MFLB form factor, although the LB is used as the example. Most of the described construction details are apparent to anyone who examines the LB carefully, except for the one that has always fascinated me: the steel mesh trench. I'd love to see how that is formed and inserted, but I'm betting that is a trade secret.

Added to the Vaporpedia: 4.2 Where can I get more details about the construction of the Box?

ETA...

wot said:

I am of the opinion that the "break-in" that is often talked about is subjective, and Magic-Flight agrees:

Is there a 'break-in' period after which the Box runs cooler?

That entry is based on information directly from magicflight.

This is a picture of ABV from my LB:

BeZ9a.jpg

I don't claim this to be typical, not even of me. The colour is about right, the grind here is a bit coarse (I probably didn't dump-and-crumble) and there is an obnoxious piece of stem that I somehow missed. I agree with weedemon's comments, except I never draw hard enough to hear a whistle. Usually, I barely draw at all.

pakalolo,

al bundy

Vaporist
Hery Vappy said:
My power adapter stopped working after a week! The cord from the "battery" to the dial has become loose and the connection appears to be lost. Ive contacted MF and Blisssville this morning but wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. I had to replace my LB after a month and now the PA after a week, I'm starting to doubt the quality of the manufacturing of Magic Flight I hate to say. Im sure they will replace my PA, as they did with my LB, but its a hassle. I just want to use their product :) I am a late 30's nine to fiver that is pretty boring so its not like I'm raging with these things in frat parties, I'm just sitting on my couch and being as careful as possible. Sorry for the rant but I'm just frustrated.

it is in beta mode and they will fix you .
call them on you can e mail them or call them on the phone.
i know how you feel though.

post a pic if you can.

al bundy,

alldayerryday

Hey yaa..

So i got a question for the MFLBPA users.
I got a beta version, and it works great.
Except today i realized that the car adaptor is defective
The standard wall power source works fine.. the car adaptor worked fine too until today.

Any ideas? any one experienced this?

alldayerryday,

wot

pakalolo said:
I am of the opinion that the "break-in" that is often talked about is subjective, and Magic-Flight agrees:

If that's the case, then the blackened ABV is due to being a rookie with the MFLB + Imedions. That's understandable.

pakalolo said:
I don't claim this to be typical, not even of me. The colour is about right, the grind here is a bit coarse (I probably didn't dump-and-crumble) and there is an obnoxious piece of stem that I somehow missed. I agree with weedemon's comments, except I never draw hard enough to hear a whistle. Usually, I barely draw at all.
Your ABV carries an almost tobacco-like color and I think that's a good reference to go off of. It's interesting to see the color is uniformly brown. I'd describe mine as part blackened (with zero experience, coarse grind), and part brown and dull green (with little experience, finer than coarse grind). It looks like it probably comes down to user experience. Thanks for your help, pakalolo!

wot,

wot

Surf Monkey said:
I'm not sure grinding it THAT fine is necessary. You want it fine, but not keif fine. Magic Flight recommends grinding it fine enough to pass through a standard window screen.
I underestimated the efficacy of a fine grind and will likely pick up a Mendo Mulcher in the future. Thanks!

wot,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Hey alls... I just posted a review in the HERB GRINDER section
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=19&p=92
and it's for the cosmic case mini, a chrome 1.5" grinder.
It is the PERFECT grind for the LB... check the pics I posted in the other forum post... truly stellar... and it's only $20-$30 depending on where you order from... and it's ridiculously portable.

Just wanted you all to know... I've used SC and other cheap ones... kept going back to the little orange plastic 2PC that comes with the Volcano... I finally found a replacement.

wake n blake,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
wot said:
pakalolo said:

If that's the case, then the blackened ABV is due to being a rookie with the MFLB + Imedions. That's understandable.

pakalolo said:
Your ABV carries an almost tobacco-like color and I think that's a good reference to go off of. It's interesting to see the color is uniformly brown. I'd describe mine as part blackened (with zero experience, coarse grind), and part brown and dull green (with little experience, finer than coarse grind). It looks like it probably comes down to user experience. Thanks for your help, pakalolo!

I recently got a new LB and I noticed that, for the first 10 trenches or so, it ran quite a bit hotter. I also got some black herb in the first few as well. Trust me, I haven't seen black herb in a long time with the broken in box. I used both 2700's (not new by any means, prob got 50+ charges so far on em) and the PA. Had to turn the PA down quite a bit. Now that I'm pushing 20 trenches im noticing that it is definitely starting to mellow out. So I really do think there is a short break in period not caused by new user error or batteries.

Funny this topic was brought up, as I was just about to make a break in post haha I think as some resin gets on the screen it kinda builds up a "heat muffler" if ya catch my drift

JDSupreme,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Battery question-- I have some NiZn batteries, 1.6v, high discharge, 2700 mah. I stripped one down, but it just doesn't work in the LB. is there any obvious reason why?

Orestes,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Oh and I just got the LB this afternoon. Blown away. Fuck combustion, indeed :)

quit cigs so i dont have tobacco for spliffs, so the MFLB is perfectly timed to get me off of combustion altogether.

I'm embarking on a grand new chapter of life :ko:

Orestes,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Orestes said:
Battery question-- I have some NiZn batteries, 1.6v, high discharge, 2700 mah. I stripped one down, but it just doesn't work in the LB. is there any obvious reason why?

From Vaporpedia:
Batteries should be AA NiMH rechargeable. Using *any* other battery chemistry type is definitely not good and can be dangerous. Although this sort of activity does not void the warranty, it is not recommended.

From what I can understand, NiZn batteries do not deliver the same voltage at all and do not have the same internal resistance as NiMh for instance. That would explain why the LB is not working because it's probably relying on this to work.

Vaporisateur,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
110504164742.jpg

happy family

edit- stuff on the left is nicotine juice and DIY stuff for the e-cig, the black box.

Orestes,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Vaporisateur said:
Orestes said:

From Vaporpedia:
Batteries should be AA NiMH rechargeable. Using *any* other battery chemistry type is definitely not good and can be dangerous. Although this sort of activity does not void the warranty, it is not recommended.

From what I can understand, NiZn batteries do not deliver the same voltage at all and do not have the same internal resistance as NiMh for instance. That would explain why the LB is not working because it's probably relying on this to work.

ahh yeah, 1.6 vs 1.25 (nihm) volts. alas. I got a 4 pack and a charger for like $4 at big lots; they will be fine for my keyboard or something

Orestes,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
JDSupreme said:
Had to turn the PA down quite a bit. Now that I'm pushing 20 trenches im noticing that it is definitely starting to mellow out. So I really do think there is a short break in period not caused by new user error or batteries.

I should have thought of this. If the PA had to be dialed down and then back up, that verifies the break-in theory and I'm wrong.

pakalolo,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
pakalolo said:
JDSupreme said:
Had to turn the PA down quite a bit. Now that I'm pushing 20 trenches im noticing that it is definitely starting to mellow out. So I really do think there is a short break in period not caused by new user error or batteries.

I should have thought of this. If the PA had to be dialed down and then back up, that verifies the break-in theory and I'm wrong.

Indeed. I'm slowly working my way back up...but its still down a bit lower than normal compared to wear i run the broken in box.

JDSupreme,
Top Bottom