willieR

Been here since 2009
FlashFunk said:
One more question LOL....How would I go about cleaning the coconut oil'd MFLB? Sorry man but I keep thinking of questions. Thanks again!

The coconut oil is solid under 70-75 degrees or so. The heat from your hand will melt it. Het it a little warm and rub the oil on the wood with a paper towel. That's all. Just a bit to rub in.

I clean my MFLB with a wet towel or paper towel. Sometimes a drop of dish soap, but usually just a damp cloth will wipe off whatever needs wiping.

willieR,

hanfhead

is high
The oil under the screen is not only a cosmetic issue for me. Mine is so thick that it runs through the screen if I don't keep it perfectly level on the table. For this reason I never put it in my pocket anymore. Also when using it, especially with the PA the oil runs out the stem when it warms up.

hanfhead,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
hanfhead said:
The oil under the screen is not only a cosmetic issue for me. Mine is so thick that it runs through the screen if I don't keep it perfectly level on the table. For this reason I never put it in my pocket anymore. Also when using it, especially with the PA the oil runs out the stem when it warms up.

Have you tried running your box for a period of time with nothing in it. This can help vape off the oil buildup you are experiencing. Should be easy with the PA, just crank it up to 100% and hold to button for a minute or two with lid open (or closed, you're vaping off excess oil, so you can breath it in if you want) It wont get rid of all of it, but it might take the size of it down some since it is touching the screen

DevoTheStrange,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hanfhead said:

Wow. That's... insane.

Clearly you're a heavy user, but I have to believe that somehow your technique builds up the resin faster than most. Are your medicinal phytosubstrates unusually trichome-rich or something? Does your screen require frequent cleaning? How about your cover? Do you clear the LB after you pull the battery?

That resin comes from condensed vapour. One of the nice things about the LB is that there is almost nowhere for the vapour to condense, and even if you hit it with the stem there should be little build-up. Somehow you are leaving vapour in the heating chamber long enough to cool and condense.

If the resin runs when you don't keep the LB level, I'd stand it on the draw-hole end and give it a couple or three 30-60 second heating cycles. Catch any runoff on some medicinal phytosubstrates, should be good stuff.

pakalolo,

hanfhead

is high
I thought about standing it on end on low on the PA and see if it would run out. I am hesitant to try the burning it off thing, Devo. The flavor is important to me and it might get that burnt taste from doing it on high.

I do clear it by pulling the battery and drawing hard until it is cool every hit.
And yes paka, very trich'y and it creates a lot of resin. I usually run a clean cycle every two or so trenches to keep the build-up down.

I have a tear where my screen meets the bar so I was going to try some methods of cleaning when it gets bad enough to replace. Give me more ideas and I will try some when the time comes. I was also thinking about making a video about fixing the screen when it comes out of the groove. I have a tool I made to work from underneath to reset it and have gotten pretty good at it.

hanfhead,

weedemon

enthusiast
I also have a decent amount of resin buildup on the inside of mine too. not so much it's running out. but i used a little stick to scrape it out, it's like a stickier version of the gummy brown shit that builds up on the volcano screen/ plunger (I have the solid valve system)

I think it's from letting vapor stay in the box too long too. I try to hit it super slow as to get the thickest hits.

I have actually started using the silicone whip and running it though my little bong setup. i use my thumb to fill the rest of the stem gap to maximize vapor density.

btw holy fuck it gets me ripped! very strong hits this way.

weedemon,

kewpcer

You could nose it down it a paper cup and set it on the dash of a car on a sunny day. The radiant heat will get the whole unit warmed up to or beyond 125F degrees, but has no chance of charring or combusting anything. Perhaps that would soften the resin enough to drain it out.

An oven on low (150-175F) would do the job too, and would still be far below the melt temp of the acrylic cover.

kewpcer,

weedemon

enthusiast
kewpcer said:
You could nose it down it a paper cup and set it on the dash of a car on a sunny day. The radiant heat will get the whole unit warmed up to or beyond 125F degrees, but has no chance of charring or combusting anything. Perhaps that would soften the resin enough to drain it out.

An oven on low (150-175F) would do the job too, and would still be far below the melt temp of the acrylic cover.

I like your thinking! I will try this in the summer! thanks :peace:

weedemon,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
hanfhead said:
I was also thinking about making a video about fixing the screen when it comes out of the groove. I have a tool I made to work from underneath to reset it and have gotten pretty good at it.

Do it man, knowledge is always welcomed here. I know I would like to see what you do.

aesthyrian,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
aesthyrian said:
hanfhead said:
I was also thinking about making a video about fixing the screen when it comes out of the groove. I have a tool I made to work from underneath to reset it and have gotten pretty good at it.

Do it man, knowledge is always welcomed here. I know I would like to see what you do.

I too am interested in this! IIRC, there is no real procedure to fix the screen to date...it seems to be a warrante issue, that often results in a replacement rather than repair...

Purpl3_Haz3,

Vaporgin.

Mt.BakerVaper
the oil in my box is becoming a problem, it causes the wood to heat up a lot after about half a trench. I dont really notice it that much anymore but when buddies use it they always complain about it burning their lips. Kinda shitty that there is no effective cleaning method, can anyone confirm that the heat up and ooze out methods work?

Vaporgin.,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vaporgin. said:
...when buddies use it they always complain about it burning their lips.

I don't think that's because there is resin under the screen, it's because they are not making a perfect seal with their lips when they hit the box, and hot vapour concentrates and escapes at the point(s) where the seal is not properly completed. It can happen with a brand new box if you aren't careful.

pakalolo,
Excessive dirtiness might be covered under the iron-clad MFLB warranty.

On the issue being discussed a good few topics above, I've used extra virgin olive oil mixed with a small amount of vitamin E to oil up guitar instrument fretboard/fingerboards for a few years now. No rotten smells, looks beautiful (darkens up rosewood real nice and for a long time), and no reason I can think of not to use it. The vitamin E prevents the oil from going rancid, I've read.

charliedontsurf,

Ropadope

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I was a vape virgin up until i bought the MFLB. Now it is the only way i fly. Absolutely love this little thing. Took me a couple of days to sort out my technique, but damn, this thing does the job nicely now. and preserves my stash like nothing else.

My original plan was to get an MFLB for on the go and a SS or Buddah for at home. i'm new to vaping but the MFLB seems to have all bases covered, so have ordered the PA after reading the glowing reviews on here. Will see how it goes, will do a full report when it arrives.

I must say, very impressed with the support from MF on here. Big ups.

Ropadope,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I love FC! The SSV reviews on this site got me to purchase my first good vaporizer (previously, I had a Chinese eBay no name that was garbage).
Now, the MFLB reviews got me to purchase one of those as well. After taking a few hits off it just now, I am really impressed. This thing is not at all difficult to use, at least if you have previous vape experience. It literally heats up in 3 seconds, and vapor taste pretty good. I mean, I guess I can't expect the taste to compare to the SSV, but overall good flavor. The hits are also pretty thick as well, for a vape as small as this.

I will post a better review after I use it a little more, and am not seriously vaked as I am right now.
But all-in-all, I think this was exactly what I was looking for. Even after seeing pictures of it, I can't believe how small it is.

Nuphile,

slvelocity

So I'm a vape noob but what are the benefits of using a volcano vape? I originally thought, big rips. But doesn't runniing the mflb through a bong or something also give you those big hits too?

slvelocity,

Ropadope

slvelocity said:
So I'm a vape noob but what are the benefits of using a volcano vape? I originally thought, big rips. But doesn't runniing the mflb through a bong or something also give you those big hits too?

I find if you toke gently on a bong (or microhit it) to fill the chamber up first, then rip it with the carb open - it works quite well. But from my understanding you would need the PA or some very strong bats to get it working in the traditional sense.

I will be reporting back on this once my PA arrives.

Ropadope,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
slvelocity said:

There are no real benefits per se to using the volcano vape, but thats not to say it isn't a great vapo.

The general selling points that come to mind for me when thinking about the cano' are the following;

*German engineering, I don't know why, but general consensus seems to be that germans make good shit.

*It is literally a tank. While like anything, it can be broken, it has a long track record of being a great party vape, that can take the dings and hits that it will inevitably be put through.

*It is one of the most commercially recognizeable vapes on the market. when I first heard of vaping, it was more like, "vaping is putting herb in this odd looking thing called a volcano, waiting for a bag to fill, and supposedly getting high." I now have more knowlege of vapes, etc, but at first, I almost wrote it off..it wasnt long before I loved using my friends cano, and got hooked on vaping.... in other words, when I first learned of vaporizing, I thought it was just the volcano. Most head shops have a volcano, in my area, few shops carry any other vape.

*It is very user friendly, from the unit operation, to the bag/valve/fill chamber setup, etc...its just ingenious.

All of that being said, I wouldnt personally spend $500+ usd on one. but, just my :2c:

now for the LB. The box can produce nice hits, and I love mine, but you cant really group it with the cano', aside from them both being vapes. I see them at the total opposite ends of the vape spectrum. It is not a bag vape, its portable, and is more of a 1-2 person affair than the cano and its party style.

while both can get you where you want to be, its more of a matter of personal choice.

so to answer your question, the bennefits of a cano are;

*efficiently getting a bag of your choice size filled with vapor, to be used by yourself or many others.

*being able to vape with a large group of people(new to vaping or experienced) by taking any user error possibility out of the deal. Can't get much simpler than inhaling from a bag.

I would also go so far as to say that far bigger hits can be achieved from the box than the cano, as bag vapes notoriously cannot reach the same vapor to air ratio as direct hit vapes.

Purpl3_Haz3,

slvelocity

Thanks for all that info! Yah, so in a sense the mflb (with a PA) can give big fat rips kinda like the cano... though not as quickly for a group setting. I'm definitely going to be looking into a bong now... nothing too big. Just a small sized one with a few percs I'm thinking? What do you guys think?

slvelocity,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Ok I follow the shit out of this thread... How did I miss the bong attachment post... Someone should post a pic or vid

wake n blake,
Stumbled on some dugouts.

The solid wooden cases are made from great looking wood, including rare burls.
Some dugouts are going for $50.

Wouldn't it be great if the MFLB was made from these exotic woods?
I wouldn't mind paying $140 for an MFLB which looked fantastic!!

Vapemania-original,
Oh, man. Just found out Ed's TnT have already been in contact with Magic Flight and have been producing wooden MFLB stems.

Feel like I a became an unwitting advertising monkey.
Sorry folks.

Modnote: Please use the Edit feature located near the lower right of your posts instead of making back-to-back posts in a thread. Thank you. :)

Vapemania-original,
Top Bottom