pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
elmomuzz said:
An ac adapter mimicking a AA battery would be extremely easy to make. Why are you waiting for it to be handed to you and make one for yourself? Perhaps I should make up a batch and start selling them. :brow:

Making an AC adapter probably is easy, but it's a completely different problem to make one that can power the LB as well as being affordable and practical to manufacture. If you look through this thread magicflight has explained the challenges and the reasons why the AC adapter has been delayed so long.

It's interesting how different people react. When I first came upon the saga of the LB power adapter, my first reaction was, "Wow, if the guys who came up with the brilliant LB design are taking so long to release a power adapter, there must be some difficulty here that I don't yet grasp."

Good luck with your project, I think you'll need it. ;) Keep us posted.

pakalolo,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I have a protoype working already. I need a few days for a part to arrive before I'll show it.

elmomuzz,

jasho

AC adapter? No thanks! It takes the magic out of the box!
I expect a couple of bucks in batteries to last at least 6 months, no tethers for me!

As an aside, from now on I order from Blissville. Amazing customer service and incredibly quick acknowledgement of orders, regardless of size. Also very fair and reasonable shipping prices!!

jasho,

george

jasho said:
AC adapter? No thanks! It takes the magic out of the box!

I agree actually. The way i use mine now, a cord would ruin it for me. I think the adapter could be a good thing to have though, especially for some people.

george,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I'll never use this thing. I just thought it would be a interesting project since there seems to be a demand.

elmomuzz,

cluffy

Vaker
If the MFLB was my only vape I'd definitely want an ac adapter. Mainly because it works best with a fresh battery and the adapter would be like having a fresh battery all the time. As it stands I have 4 batteries so 2 can be fully charged at all times. I only use the MFLB away from home except occasionally when I can't wait the 4 minutes for Da Buddha to warm up....

cluffy,

rayski

hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
i kinda remember magic flite sayin 12 amps in this thread sumwhere
Earlier in this thread Magicflight wrote: "The basic demand load is about 0.75 volts with a current draw of about 15 amps."

rayski,

jasho

elmomuzz said:
I'll never use this thing. I just thought it would be a interesting project since there seems to be a demand.
It's a great project! Have fun, there seems to be some strong interest! IF I were interested, I would limit my choice of adapters to one tested and approved by MF to maintain my wonderful warranty. From here it wouldn't be fair to expect MF to warranty any home built goof ups.

jasho,

jasho

cluffy said:
If the MFLB was my only vape I'd definitely want an ac adapter.
I'm so happy with my box and batteries that I sold my other two vapes on eBay. I'll be getting a second LB as back up.

In 40 years, of varied experiences with vapes and bowls, this has been the slickest of herb devices. I've come to feel the same about MFLB as I did about aircooled VWs. About as practical, easy to maintain and classy as it gets. Oh and yeah, I can spell D-O-R-K!;)

jasho,

george

jasho said:
cluffy said:
If the MFLB was my only vape I'd definitely want an ac adapter.
I'm so happy with my box and batteries that I sold my other two vapes on eBay. I'll be getting a second LB as back up.

In 40 years, of varied experiences with vapes and bowls, this has been the slickest of herb devices. I've come to feel the same about MFLB as I did about aircooled VWs. About as practical, easy to maintain and classy as it gets. Oh and yeah, I can spell D-O-R-K!;)

what were your other vapes?

george,

neverminded

Anyone in here use an Apple battery charger? I just got one for my MFLB and wireless mouse/keyboard and it's pretty cool:

The Apple branded batteries are rated 1900 mAh, compared to the ones that come with the MFLB which is 2000 mAh, I think? Anyways, after peeling the sticker off and spraying WD40 on it to take the glue off, it looks pretty similar to the MFLB batteries.... The one on the right with the black ring is the Apple battery.

Apple uses Eneloops and MFLB now ships with PowerEx batteries, if I recall correctly. Ive used both and it is more than enough for a trench; I usually use a fresh battery for each load. Only time will tell if one is better than the other, but one interesting thing I found was that the PowerEx battery weighed 27.8 grams while the Apple battery weighed 25.6 grams. I'm not sure if battery capacity/quality is directly correlated with weight but the PowerEx battery seems better in that department.

Anyways I just wanted to post something interesting for you guys, peace!

neverminded,
R2U Ready To Use 3100 MAH nimh HSD rechargables work nicely, don't burn or anything.

Seems like most battery discussion has been about low MAH low discharge batteries. Is anyone else experimenting with high MAH HSD batteries?

charliedontsurf,

Qbit

cannabanana
neverminded said:
The Apple branded batteries are rated 1900 mAh, compared to the ones that come with the MFLB which is 2000 mAh, I think? Anyways, after peeling the sticker off and spraying WD40 on it to take the glue off, it looks pretty similar to the MFLB batteries.... The one on the right with the black ring is the Apple battery.

Just don't put those peeled batteries in anything but your LB from now on though. Apparently it's possible they can do some nasty damage to delicate electronics.

Qbit,
You can wrap them in a single layer of electrical tape and them use them as regular, then remove to go back. Remember not to mix up batteries and always use sets of the same type.

charliedontsurf,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Qbit said:
Just don't put those peeled batteries in anything but your LB from now on though. Apparently it's possible they can do some nasty damage to delicate electronics.

NO the batteries cannot short from touching side to side, head to head, head to tail etc. The only way to short is by touching together the + and - of the same battery. Not any other electronic device is designed to do that, so there is no way to short if the batteries have been installed correctly, peeled or not peeled.

EDIT: Qbit is correct, some devices can cause unpeeled battery shorting, see magic-flight response below

DeepFried,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
DeepFried said:
Qbit said:
...the batteries cannot short from touching side to side... The only way to short is by touching together the + and - of the same battery. Not any other electronic device is designed to do that, so there is no way to short if the batteries have been installed correctly, peeled or not peeled.

Hi Qbit,

While it is true that batteries will *not* short side to side if not connected to anything else -- ie, when they are in the battery case (as they should be), however, it IS possible for one of the batteries to short if they are side to side within _some_ types of electronic devices. Many devices wire the batteries in a series configuration (to get more voltage) and also place them side to side -- This has the effect of shorting one of the batteries (not good). When installed in such a device, the nipple of one battery is connected to the side of the next, and that side touches the side of the first battery, effectively connecting that batteries nipple to its side. Devices where space is at a premium (cameras, remotes) tend to be the worst in this respect.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
OOps I guess I stand corrected, didn't realize there were devices with such a battery configuration. Sorry Qbit, my apologies.

DeepFried,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah I was gunna say my girlfriend's nice digital camera melted when I gave her some of my surplus rechargeables from Magic Flight. Not a happy day at all.

darkrom,

vaporchannel

Yeah those batteries can be a hazard! Don't try to put them in anything but the MF or ya could wind up with a nasty short. :o

I'm so down with the launch box. I think it has ingenious simplicity and user friendliness. unfortunately I hear tales of batteries wearing out quickly. Does anyone know how long that filament will last?

I know guys that use this on the go, in movie theatres, even while walking down the street!

still, sticking to the true nature of this forum, i can't say that the magic flight launch box is the ideal vaporizer for me. I choose to vaporize a wide variety of herbs, and I'm sorry to say i've noticed COMBUSTION and very charred herbs coming out of my friends' MFLB's.

Still though, for what it's worth this is a durable, compact, discreet unit...but it does fall short of vapor perfection. (not vaporfection that's different :lol:

vaporchannel,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
vaporchannel said:
Yeah those batteries can be a hazard! Don't try to put them in anything but the MF or ya could wind up with a nasty short. :o

I'm so down with the launch box. I think it has ingenious simplicity and user friendliness. unfortunately I hear tales of batteries wearing out quickly. Does anyone know how long that filament will last?

I know guys that use this on the go, in movie theatres, even while walking down the street!

still, sticking to the true nature of this forum, i can't say that the magic flight launch box is the ideal vaporizer for me. I choose to vaporize a wide variety of herbs, and I'm sorry to say i've noticed COMBUSTION and very charred herbs coming out of my friends' MFLB's.

Still though, for what it's worth this is a durable, compact, discreet unit...but it does fall short of vapor perfection. (not vaporfection that's different :lol:

Which filament? Do you meant the little light?

If your friend's batteries are wearing out quickly and he's also getting combustion--which I honestly doubt, I think he's just getting black ABV--send him around to learn how to use the LB correctly. Neither of these things should occur with proper technique.

Combustion in the LB happens if the battery is making contact for too long. This can happen accidentally but is more likely through user error: either from forgetting to pull the battery, or from simply not knowing how long to keep the contact. To get true combustion requires a lot longer than anyone would be hitting the Box; it won't happen after a full minute, for example, or even two. Is he passing the Box around without pulling the battery?

I accidentally left a charged battery in contact for about four or five minutes and I still didn't get combustion, just some really black material. Combustion is pretty distinctive too, there's smoke that you'll see and smell and taste, and there will be ash not black ABV. Burnt material and blackened vaped material smell quite different too.

ETA I forgot to mention that after that incident the LB tasted pretty nasty. I dipped the brush in ISO and cleaned out everything, then gave it about 45 seconds of battery, empty with the cover open. There was still a faint bad taste for the next couple of trenches.

pakalolo,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Sure it is all good, a lot of people eat their ABV in some form or another. Putting your brush in there is actually a really good idea for a place to keep it while on the go.

DeepFried,
Top Bottom