GreenLeaf

Furiouslyfapping said:
reece said:
GreenLeaf said:
215z-Why did your doctor say that you never should smoke bud at all, yet it's OK to smoke bubble hash?
It could be to minimize smoke inhalation. A small amount of hash will get you to the same place as a larger quantity of bud, so less smoke. Just a guess.
Also with concentrates such as bubble hash you are only smoking the trichomes off the plant so there is no combusted carcinogens (I think)
OK thanks for the clarification.

I have never smoked bubble hash, vaporized it, or consumed it.

I smoked Sativa Moroccan hash in Spain in the late 90s and it was very strong and I did not smoke a lot of it. I also ate some of it and it just relaxed me but it was not like eating a few grams of herb cooked in food which was like tripping in a way.

I've vaped kif with some crumbs of herb in the MFLB but that's not hash and I haven't seen hash in a long time.

GreenLeaf,

SkollIstKrieg

I've personally never used hash in my LB, however I always sprinkle a little powder keif on top of a trench. :brow:

Since this is my first time actually posting in this thread I suppose I'll leave my own review of the launch box. I have had my box since March, along with it I ordered an extra pair of batteries from Magic Flight and bought a Powerex MH-C9000. Once received, I was blown away by the smallness of the box and by the sheer power of this battery charger(I have always needed one of these types of chargers and had no idea they were even out there) Now, a few months later, everything is still working as good as new, my trench has a little color but ive been keeping it clean. Also my batteries are still working great, probably thanks to the charger. I'd say I get roughly three trenches on one battery and I'm using the old Eneloops.

SkollIstKrieg,

B.

War Criminal
are you using a fifteen minute charger? the faster you charge, the hotter they get. Thats why fifteen minute chargers reduce the life of the
battery.

B.,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
B. said:
are you using a fifteen minute charger? the faster you charge, the hotter they get. Thats why fifteen minute chargers reduce the life of the
battery.
I use a longer charger, takes at least 3-4 hours (sometimes longer), and my batteries are always extremely hot after charging.

Here's the one I use:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

It was my understanding that the batteries will get very hot during a charge. I am still using the Eneloops I originally received with the LB, and I also use ANSMANN 2500 AA LOW DISCHARGE NIMH batteries. They all get so hot I can barely touch them.

Vicki,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vicki said:
B. said:
battery.
I use a longer charger, takes at least 3-4 hours (sometimes longer), and my batteries are always extremely hot after charging.

Here's the one I use:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

It was my understanding that the batteries will get very hot during a charge. I am still using the Eneloops I originally received with the LB, and I also use ANSMANN 2500 AA LOW DISCHARGE NIMH batteries. They all get so hot I can barely touch them.
I have the same charger but my batteries get barely warmer than room temperature.

chucku,

SoggyBizquick

I had been in the market for a vaporizer ever since a friend introduced me to his "Silver Surfer." I saw the Launch Box at my local smoke shop and I was amazed at the simplicity and size of the box. I was hesitant at first, it seemed too good to be true; a battery operated vaporizer that is smaller than my pipe? I decided to give it a try after the owner of the shop demonstrated it to me and told me it had immediately become the most popular vaporizer in the shop.

I bought one without any expectations. If nothing else, it would be a neat piece to show off to my friends. When I got home I loaded a small pinch of herb to the top of the trench and started vaping. After 6 drags, I was in love. I had barely used any herb, but felt as if I had just medicated with four times as much out of my bong. I've been using the Launch Box for about a week now, and ever since, my $350, four chamber bong has been gathering dust. My only regret is not buying the box sooner.

While using the box, it feels as if you are barely inhaling anything, but don't let the amount of vapor fool you. It tastes fantastic the first 2-3 drags, but does start to taste a little burnt before the load is finished. However, the herb being a little roasted makes it much easier to clean out, since the medicine is no longer sticky. This box has already payed for itself many times over in the first week with the amount I've saved on herb. I can now vape a load or two from the box and have the same effect as if I smoked two or three times that amount from a pipe. But the best part is, no more sucking ash into my mouth or lungs, no more coughing with every inhalation, and it is MUCH less harsh on my lungs. If you generally consume your herb with a group of friends keep in mind that the Launch Box works best for personal use. It requires 3-4 loads and multiple batteries when vaping with friends. So the bong still serves it's purpose, but only while smoking with a group. It is less of a problem now that all my friends bring their LB's with them.

The Launch Box is the best innovation in vaporizing and portable medicating that I've ever seen. It seems like such a simplistic design, but it does exactly what it says. It puts the benefits of a vaporizer into your pocket and can be taken anywhere. I am much more inclined to use the LB at concerts or places with other people around since it emits very little odors, and doesn't require a flame. I have found very little to complain about with my LB. It is a little less effective than the home vaporizer my friend has, but it's also less than half the cost and can go with you anywhere. I can't imagine how I ever got by without it. I do think the price is a little high, but the kit comes with absolutely everything you need. I had no problem justifying buying the LB because in my mind I'm paying for the convenience and innovation rather than the cost of manufacturing it.

Well done Magic-Flight. You have made a quality product that does exactly what it's supposed to, and backed with a lifetime warranty. This is the only smoking accessory I've ever seen that offers a lifetime warranty. In order to truly appreciate the magic of vaporizing you have to try it for yourself. Prepare to be amazed; you'll never use a pipe again.

SoggyBizquick,

SoggyBizquick

chucku said:
Vicki said:
B. said:
battery.

Here's the one I use:

I have the same charger but my batteries get barely warmer than room temperature.
I just bought a Duracell fast charger with 4 AA 2650 mAh NiMh Batteries. The fast charger charges up to 4 batteries in 15 minutes and has a built in fan to cool the batteries while charging. The 2650 mAh batteries last longer than the included batteries. I can get 10-12 hits with the 2650 mAh battery and 6-8 with the included batteries. With the 15 minute charge time I never have to wait on a battery to use my Launch Box. However, I have heard that the fast chargers burn out the batteries faster and will last for fewer charges, but the user manual of the quick charger says that it will not burn out the batteries any faster than a slow charger. That's my recommendation, it's been working great for me

SoggyBizquick,

max

Out to lunch
Glad you like the LB SoggyBizquick, but please start subbing 'vapor' for 'smoke'. Not only should you not be getting smoke with a vape, but saying 'smoking' when you're using a vape labels you as a newbie. 'Vape' is both a noun and a verb. We vape with a vape. ;)

all my friends bring their LB's with them
You can train your friends on the lingo too. :lol:

The 2650 mAh batteries last longer than the included batteries.
The supplied batteries are the low discharge type. With a full charge and used right away, they don't last as long as the newer 2600 and up batteries. But you can charge them, put them away and months later they'll still have most of their charge. Regular NiMH bats start losing their charge immediately.

the user manual of the quick charger says that it will not burn out the batteries any faster than a slow charger
A fast charger may be OK if it has the circuitry to control the current and detect when the battery is charged. I'd rather play it safe and have enough batteries on hand so that a fast charge isn't required.

max,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
new buddy said:
can someone explain to me why my batteries are getting extremely hot when I charge them?
Hi,

We have one specific recommendation: check to make sure that the batteries are seated firmly, neatly, and completely in the charger bay. The charger should have a thermal switch that monitors the battery temperature. If the battery is not inserted all of the way to the bottom of the charger bay, then the charger might not be able to monitor the battery temperature.

It is also a possibility that the charger you have is defective. If this continues to be a problem and you have a 4 bay charger, first try using the two bays on the opposite side. If that also does not work, then contact us privately and we will issue a replacement charger.

-- Magic-Flight

EDIT: I noticed in one of your later posts that the charger you are using was purchased elsewhere. Naturally, our warranty only applies to items that we actually ship.

magicflight,

B.

War Criminal
@audio-you'll probably need to use the rubberband method to add some girth to the LB whip so it makes a good seal with the ice chamber.

SoggyBizquick said:
...my $350, four chamber bong has been gathering dust.
You can hook your LB up to your bong, it's glorious.

B.,

SoggyBizquick

max said:
Glad you like the LB SoggyBizquick, but please start subbing 'vapor' for 'smoke'. Not only should you not be getting smoke with a vape, but saying 'smoking' when you're using a vape labels you as a newbie. 'Vape' is both a noun and a verb. We vape with a vape. ;)

The supplied batteries are the low discharge type. With a full charge and used right away, they don't last as long as the newer 2600 and up batteries. But you can charge them, put them away and months later they'll still have most of their charge. Regular NiMH bats start losing their charge immediately.

the user manual of the quick charger says that it will not burn out the batteries any faster than a slow charger
A fast charger may be OK if it has the circuitry to control the current and detect when the battery is charged. I'd rather play it safe and have enough batteries on hand so that a fast charge isn't required.
I appologize, but, I am a newbie. Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that.

SoggyBizquick,

SoggyBizquick

SoggyBizquick said:
max said:

I appologize, but, I am a newbie. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind
Thanks for the advice on the charger. It does automatically shut off when the charge is done, but I'm not sure if it has any special circuit control technology. You are definitely right about the 2600 batteries start losing their charge immediately. I always have to charge them right before I leave and the included batteries retain their charge. I didn't know the reason for that until now

SoggyBizquick,

SoggyBizquick

B. said:
@audio-you'll probably need to use the rubberband method to add some girth to the LB whip so it makes a good seal with the ice chamber.

SoggyBizquick said:
...my $350, four chamber bong has been gathering dust.
You can hook your LB up to your bong, it's glorious.
Really?! How would you go about doing that? haha

SoggyBizquick,

wolf torn

Does anyone have any experience with vaporizing herbs like hops, indian warrior, Passion Flower, Passion Flower, Chamomile, etc.....

in the LB?

wolf torn,

B.

War Criminal
Soggy-

you wrap a bunch of rubber bands around the stem until it's wide enough to create a seal with your downtube.

OR

you attach the whip to your down tube and do the rubber band deal or attach the whip to the stem and use small pieces of progressively larger tubing to create a seal. Does that make sense? Get a piece of tubing that fits snugly on the whip, and if that doesn't make a good seal with your bong, stick that piece into a larger snugly fitting piece until you tubing makes a nice seal on your bong.

I can also get decent hit when the box is native by just pressing it up against the downtube. I'm guessing you 4 chamber is glass on glass, so you should have a pretty flat rim on your downtube, give it a shot, it's a little airy-er that with a solid seal, but it works.

Finally, if you have a MZ/AZ/PD/WDZ etc, the stem from the LB makes a perfect seal inside the metal bowl of the MZ stem, which makes a perfect seal with my 14/18 downtube. Check back a few months on this thread, I have a video...its skim milk, but it's still cool.

B.,

Phractal

On the topic of batteries, I've been curious about one thing I've read on these forums. Specifically, the fact that you should discharge your batteries all the way before recharging them to increase their battery life.

I'm currently doing research at a university where I'm working with lithium polymer batteries. I've read several journal papers discussing battery charge/discharge, capacity fade vs depth of discharge, and cycle life. Several of these papers indicate that the deeper the depth of discharge (DoD, which is the energy used divided by total energy in the battery, expressed as a percentage) the shorter the life span of the battery. Basically this means that if you discharge your batteries all the way, you shorten their life span the most. The articles indicate the ideal DoD is between 33%-50% but varies depending on specific battery model, operating temperature and other factors.

One article which specifically says this is here:
http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/ser...30000005000986000001&idtype=cvips&prog=normal

More articles discussing battery stuff:

1) Capacity Fade Mechanisms and Side Reactions in Lithium-Ion Batteries
Pankaj Arorat and Ralph E. White**

http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/ser...45000010003647000001&idtype=cvips&prog=normal

2) An analysis of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries after prolonged cycling
Doron Aurbach a,1,*, Boris Markovsky a, Alexander Rodkin a, Miriam Cojocaru a,
Elena Levi a, Hyeong-Jin Kim b

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...44fc4e626cbec00d0a085647bef&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

3) Modeling Capacity Fade in Lithium-Ion Cells
Bor Yann Liaw, Rudolph G. Jungst, Ganesan Nagasubramanian, and Daniel H. Doughty

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...c5948168830cd8fbd7fafba499a&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

4) Studies on capacity fade of lithium-ion batteries
D. Zhang a, B.S. Haran a, A. Durairajan a, R.E. White a, Y. Podrazhansky b, B.N. Popov a,)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...e14a3a8a77fa34995fc9fd124d3&ie=/sdarticle.pdf

5) The Art of Battery Charging
Richard C. Cope
http://www.ele.utoronto.ca/power_management/ece1066/art_char.pdf

6) Performance and capacity fade of V2O5lithium polymer batteries at a moderatelow temperature
Pier Paolo Prosini , , a, b, Yongyao Xiaa, Takuya Fujiedaa, Raffaele Velloneb, Masahiro Shikanoa and Tetsuo Sakaia
http://yh5uq3xr8r.search.serialssol...ure&aulast=Prosini&aufirst=Pier+Paolo&]&isbn=

Unfortunately not everyone might be able to view the full articles from these links because a lot of them are from journals and my university pays for students to be able to see them.

I realize the flaw in my reasoning could be that most of these papers deal with Lithium Ion batteries, and the MFLB uses NiMH batteries. However, I'm inclined to believe the chemical battery mechanisms responsible for capacity fade and shorter life span would be similar.

If anyone has any more information, could you please enlighten me?

Phractal,

SoggyBizquick

B. said:
Soggy-

you wrap a bunch of rubber bands around the stem until it's wide enough to create a seal with your downtube.

OR

you attach the whip to your down tube and do the rubber band deal or attach the whip to the stem and use small pieces of progressively larger tubing to create a seal. Does that make sense? Get a piece of tubing that fits snugly on the whip, and if that doesn't make a good seal with your bong, stick that piece into a larger snugly fitting piece until you tubing makes a nice seal on your bong.

I can also get decent hit when the box is native by just pressing it up against the downtube. I'm guessing you 4 chamber is glass on glass, so you should have a pretty flat rim on your downtube, give it a shot, it's a little airy-er that with a solid seal, but it works.

Finally, if you have a MZ/AZ/PD/WDZ etc, the stem from the LB makes a perfect seal inside the metal bowl of the MZ stem, which makes a perfect seal with my 14/18 downtube. Check back a few months on this thread, I have a video...its skim milk, but it's still cool.
Wow.... I followed your advice and it worked great. I put rubber bands around it until I got an airtight seal and started to vape. At first it wasn't working that well, but as the vapor filled up each chamber I started getting some great tasting drags. That is by far the cleanest vapor I've ever experienced. The vapor from the LB was filtered through water 3 times before I inhaled. I thought I couldn't possibly love my LB any more. I was wrong haha.Thanks for the info, I had no idea that could be done.

SoggyBizquick,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Phractal said:
...I realize the flaw in my reasoning could be that most of these papers deal with Lithium Ion batteries, and the MFLB uses NiMH batteries. However, I'm inclined to believe the chemical battery mechanisms responsible for capacity fade and shorter life span would be similar.
Hi,

Unfortunately, each chemistry needs to be understood in its own terms. Trying to reason the behavior of NiMH batteries on the basis of Li batteries makes as much sense as trying to figure either of these out on the basis of Lead Acid batteries (used in most autos). For example, if you discharge a car battery completely even once, it is mostly ruined. Even the Nickel Cadmium batteries, which in many respects are chemically very similar to NiMH, have significant performance and handling differences. Trying to lump these together is definitely going to confuse the level of detail in describing proper treatment that you are looking for.

People such as yourself who are looking for solid information about the different types and their handling characteristics could perhaps do well to start at a site like http://batteryuniversity.com/ -- and once you have gone through that, perhaps the more specific questions could be asked in their natural context.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

Budz Bunny

Phractal said:
If anyone has any more information, could you please enlighten me?
I believe the only reason to discharge them is because many of the chargers out there do not measure delta-v to stop charging, they just charge for a given time and a partially charged battery will overcharge. (which is what I suspect is Soggy's problem with the extremely hot batteries)

Budz Bunny,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
@Phractal
I thought that discharging a lithium cell is dangerous and usually the cell can no longer charge after that, don't most have a low voltage safety cut off for that reason? So the chemical composition and all other electrical measurements must be significantely different between the two.

DeepFried,

Phractal

magicflight said:
Phractal said:
...I realize the flaw in my reasoning could be that most of these papers deal with Lithium Ion batteries, and the MFLB uses NiMH batteries. However, I'm inclined to believe the chemical battery mechanisms responsible for capacity fade and shorter life span would be similar.
Hi,

Unfortunately, each chemistry needs to be understood in its own terms. Trying to reason the behavior of NiMH batteries on the basis of Li batteries makes as much sense as trying to figure either of these out on the basis of Lead Acid batteries (used in most autos). For example, if you discharge a car battery completely even once, it is mostly ruined. Even the Nickel Cadmium batteries, which in many respects are chemically very similar to NiMH, have significant performance and handling differences. Trying to lump these together is definitely going to confuse the level of detail in describing proper treatment that you are looking for.

People such as yourself who are looking for solid information about the different types and their handling characteristics could perhaps do well to start at a site like http://batteryuniversity.com/ -- and once you have gone through that, perhaps the more specific questions could be asked in their natural context.

-- Magic-Flight
Thanks! I appreciate the link and explanation, as an engineer I always want to know the gritty details of how things work and constantly question anything I have doubts about.

Phractal,
Top Bottom