scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Don’t have experience doing it with a mflb. But, with ecigs, even the most carbon filled crusty coils look brand new after a 10 sec burn off and a slight blow. Nothing sticks to the coil at high temps. Still have to see if running such high temps on a mflb would damage it.... I did run my second hand at 80w to clean screen and It didn’t seem to affect it.

scy123,

vandalizedbythelotus

so guys, what am i looking for in a mod for use with the MFLB? i already have some 18650 LG HG2's would those pair well with a small single cell mod? does it have to have a DNA board?

vandalizedbythelotus,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Welcome to the thread @vandalizedbythelotus . I still know virtually nothing about mod'n MODs or which are great and which are bunk. You need 0.05 ohm compatability. I've gotten mine down to 0.08 ohms and up to 30 watts. It can go higher. That is as high as I was willing to push the voltage test.

I like the Target Mini II Kit that @scy123 has recommended a while back. The tank modified easily and the Vaporesso modes is fantastic to say the least - and it was very reasonably priced around xmas. They've got a nice Gen Kits that takes external cells. Had my eye on it but a bit big and pricy still. But if the modes are similar, it is a killer UI even if it does lock the user out of coding.

How are your hobby skills?

TommyDee,

scy123

Any mod with a 510 connection and can fire down to 0.05ohm would work. Those are really the only 2 requirements. Only really the newer mods can fire down to 0.05ohms, so watch out for that. Another thing to watch out for is having batteries that can supply sufficient amps. You can check how much amps you would be pulling from the 18650 in link below. LG HG2 is rated 20a I believe. and a single 20a 18650 is good for running the mflb up to 50w.... you're never gonna run it this high really as the screen would be glowing. One thing to watch out for is fake battereies that might be rated much lower than advertised.

Code:
https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator

I just use DNA boards cause they supposedly (or at least I think they do) have better temp control. They did in fact invented temp control in ecigs. I can't really comment on how well other mods handle that stuff as I never tried it before.

scy123,

vandalizedbythelotus

Thank you @TommyDee and @scy123 this is a huge help narrowing down the search.
My hobby skills are decent i guess, basic electrical, soldering... got some hand tools but no 3d printer or lathe currently.
Don't know anything about mods but at one point i was thinking of building a dna75c based mod. As far as i can tell it's not more complicated than making an IH but making the enclosure is a problem for lack of tools and after building a couple of IH's i learned this sort of project can take longer than anticipated.
So with mods being cheap and my spare time limited i decided to just buy a mod and only mod the tank.
If you don't mind i'll ask again after i find an interesting one.
Thank :)

vandalizedbythelotus,

scy123

Building it will probably not save you much anyways. China is pumping these things out now for cheap. I'd only build for cool factor and to get stuff I would not be able to buy.

3D printers are also a hot item now and you can get a decent one for $200 and with a few mods can print almost anything besides aerospace grade plastics. Their is also not really much different from a $200 printer and $1000 printer either in terms of print quality, might just have to print a bit slower to get same results.

vandalizedbythelotus

well after searching around it seems there are not that many compact, decent looking, reasonably priced, single 18650 with good TC out there ... basically i narrowed it down to Wismec P80 and eVic vTwo mini ... i guess e-cig vapers need more power so the market for this type of mod is pretty much dead

edit: i know there are smaller better options but only with integrated battery and if tubo came to the same conclusion for a single 18650 it's good enough for me. now to find a proper tank for this

edit2: probably going with the p80 for the mod

Last edited:
vandalizedbythelotus,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@vandalizedbythelotus - basic skills is sufficient. Basically you are making a cylinder of copper that aligns with the loop-rod and a copper post between the MOD connection and the bent-rail at the end of the LB hole. Every Vaporesso tank is different as to adaptation. The one with the Target Mini II has a very convenient screw to install the pennies for the negative contact. Likewise, they made it very simple to make the positive contact. Each tank will require its own solution but this is the common factor.

When @scy123 comes up with his adapter, that will resolve this part of the hunt. I've also looked at alternative means to adapt a 510 adapter to make the required contact.

Last edited:

scy123

If you want something compact, you would have to get something with lipo built in. The original target mini is actually smaller than target mini 2, but I think it only goes down to 0.1ohm.

Code:
http://i.imgur.com/iYoRs3M.jpg

I've also looked at alternative means to adapt a 510 adapter to make the required contact.

If you have a lathe. You should be able to turn a copper/whatever rod to size and use a tap and die set to make the 510 threads.

Last edited:
scy123,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
There is cost there that I really am avoiding. If I were to make the product, I would just make the drawings and have someone make 50 of them. That is the only way I know to make something from this. Bottom line, how simple can you make this for fabrication.

TommyDee,

scy123

It can really be as simple as a copper rod turned down with a hole drilled down the middle for positive and using a die to make the 510 threads.

I wanted to make something nicer though with a locking mechanism.

scy123,

scy123

I drew a quick example. A die you can probably get from china for $10 and it's reusable. And the copper I can imagine being not more then couple dollars.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/kkmQ3up.png

scy123,

scy123

You can go a head and make them if you want. I can just make other things.... and I still need to get my gear set up.

scy123,

scy123

I'll eventually get around to designing something. Haven't really put much thought in to it. Was in process of updating my gear really.

scy123,

scy123

Not all tanks are gonna be able to convert. I just so happened to have 1 that was right size (I had like 15 different tanks and just that one would of worked easily without much modification) Also, mflb seems to have changed the negative loop size as a newer mflb I tried was too loose to work.

Really, I am not sure how you should proceed with the diy. The tank I had that worked was the Billow V2 by eciggity. It was a perfect fit in the negative loop on mflb and did not require any modification. I tried it on a newer mflb though and like I said, it was too loose.

edit: also the p80 it seems can only do 0.05 ohms in temp control mode and in watts mode the lower limit is 0.1ohm

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I modified the Vaporesso VM-22 tank so it is the only one I can speak to directly.

With regard to loop size, I have some input. I don't know that MF actually made a conscious change in loop size. I have an older Walnut LB from a local shop. The loop is big and the cell hole is way big. Someone really reefed on this one in the factory. It is my DD. My copper slug is 14.5mm for this LB.

I have two others - one ancient converted to MD and one very recent factory direct. Both of these are identical and won't fit the 14.5mm slug into their holes without scraping wood. The modification I did for @Choices were also made to 14.4mm diameter. Therefore yes, there are some outliers, but for the most part, 14.4mm is the right diameter.

Last edited:

scy123

Also, I am hesitant to suggest someone diy this with the intention of using it in temp control mode. You really need tight connections for temp control to work or it’s not gonna work well.... I had to clamp my mflb down with a screw to get it tight enough.

vandalizedbythelotus

thank you for pointing that out. i was thinking it would be ok with TC but it's better to not take the chance you are right. back to square 1 i guess ..
regarding the tank if i take the billow as an example i want something that's 2 coil capable? thinking in order to get the + in the center and - on the outside
sadly diy is my only option considering i'm in eastern EU ... and i like making things

vandalizedbythelotus,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I've been running temp control mode every day. I limit the watts to 15 watts. Very forgiving. If you get a disconnect, you tell the Target Mini II that you are continuing the session. That only happens when I go stir the load stuck to the screen.

Tc mode is what makes this the bomb!

@vandalizedbythelotus - I will recommend the Target Mini II since they are still very reasonable and the tank is part of the kit. The user modes won't disappoint if 50 watts will do you.

Last edited:
TommyDee,
Top Bottom