Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
obelisk said:
your experiences with the vape might be very good, but it is not meant to be a home vape. it was not designed with that intent.

hope this does not sound like i am trying to counter or negate your expression of your experience with it!!
It doesn't sound like you are trying to negate my experience at all. You just seem to have a different one than I. ;)

It may not have been designed to be a home vap, but I have been using it as such with no problems at all. :)

Vicki,

VivaSativa

Questions about batteries and the USB charger:
Up till now I've been using the stock batteries and USB charger that came with my LB. Lately I noticed that 2 out of my 4 stock batteries are siginificantly weaker than they used to be. I'm guessing it happend because I left them in the USB charger (while it's connected to a working computer) for weeks, just taking them out when I want to vape.
Anyway, today I bought 4 GP batteries. The label has a big '2700' on it, but looking at the small caption it says: "NiMH AA HR6 2700AAHC", "1.2V TYP. 2600mAh", and "standard charge 16hrs at 250mA".
So I have a few questions about this:
1) Are these 2600 or 2700mAh? I guess both would be good enough for the LB, but just curious.
2) I'm using the USB charger that I got with the LB back in September or so. It has a sticker that says '160 mAh', does that mean I'll need to charge those batteries for 25 hours (250/160 * 16) ? I remember reading that the stock batteries need 8 hour charging in the stock charger.. A bit confused :uhoh:
3) Is it not a good idea to leave the batteries in the USB charger for a long peroid of time (when the computer is always on) ?

Thanks in advance

VivaSativa,

lwien

Thank you soooo much for your honest and varying inputs. Much appreciated.

lwien,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi VivaSativa,

You are probably one of the last few people to get the USB charger option -- we discontinued stocking them in October. In regards to your questions, it is generally not a good idea to leave batteries unused in any slow charger for more than a few days after they are fully chargerd. The USB charger is a slow charger. As such, I would not recommend leaving the batteries in the USB or the previously shipped slow charger more than a few days without actually using the battery. This rule does not generally apply to fast chargers or "smart" chargers, since they have different battery maintenance characteristics (depends on the specific charger). The batteries are covered under the warranty, so please send us an email, your box number, and a postal address for us to send you a new pair of batteries matching the specifications of your Box.

In regards to battery labeling, we have no real idea what the true capacity of a battery is until it is measured with calibrated test equipment. We have seen a *LOT* of battery manufactures significantly overstate the battery capacity. For example, we just had a vendor send us samples with a label reading "2700 mAh" and yet when tested had only 429 mAh, new out of the box! We have even been burned a few times when the samples and the actual ordered product differ widely in their capacity. It is not uncommon for less reputable battery sellers to relabel their batteries since they know that most people simply do not have the sort of equipment and perseverance to _actually_verify_ battery capacity claims. Stick with known reputable brands that have actual test reports of capacity by genuinely independent groups and you cannot go far wrong.

It is largely *because* of issues like this with the batteries and previously shipped slow chargers that we switched both late last December and early January. Having upgraded to LSD type NiMH batteries and smart chargers, the overall experience with the Box improved noticeably for many Box users. While this was internally traumatic to our company at the time (we had invested heavily in both batteries and chargers -- a total loss for us) and involved considerable inconvenience in re-tensioning and recalibrating our manufacturing process to account for the new batteries, we figure that overall it was better for everyone in the long run.

-- Magic-Flight

VivaSativa said:
Questions about batteries and the USB charger:
Up till now I've been using the stock batteries and USB charger that came with my LB. Lately I noticed that 2 out of my 4 stock batteries are siginificantly weaker than they used to be. I'm guessing it happend because I left them in the USB charger (while it's connected to a working computer) for weeks, just taking them out when I want to vape.
Anyway, today I bought 4 GP batteries. The label has a big '2700' on it, but looking at the small caption it says: "NiMH AA HR6 2700AAHC", "1.2V TYP. 2600mAh", and "standard charge 16hrs at 250mA".
So I have a few questions about this:
1) Are these 2600 or 2700mAh? I guess both would be good enough for the LB, but just curious.
2) I'm using the USB charger that I got with the LB back in September or so. It has a sticker that says '160 mAh', does that mean I'll need to charge those batteries for 25 hours (250/160 * 16) ? I remember reading that the stock batteries need 8 hour charging in the stock charger.. A bit confused :uhoh:
3) Is it not a good idea to leave the batteries in the USB charger for a long peroid of time (when the computer is always on) ?

Thanks in advance

magicflight,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Vicki said:
obelisk said:
i'd say picking this unit up for any reasons other than portable/stealth use would be setting yourself up for disappointment ime :2c:
I disagree. I received my LB almost 2 months ago, and I have been using it exclusively since. I haven't even used my Vapor Warez at all, except for hash/kief, occasionally, in the evening.

I use cannabis as medicine, and have been using the Vapor Warez exclusively for years. I must admit that it has not always helped my pain as well as I would like. Using the LB is a different story. I immediately noticed how much more effective it was for pain than my VW.

I have also noticed that I use less herb in the LB as opposed to my VW, and that is always a big plus too. :)

The fact that the LB is portable and stealthy too are just added bonuses on top of all that. :D
I also wanted to say how easy this vaporizer is to use and conceal when kids are coming in and out of the room. That is also a really big plus for me. It's just not possible for me to use my Vapor Warez like that. So, that's another big plus to add to the list for me. :lol:

That, and all the other reasons I have listed, are why the Launch Box has become my primary vaporizer. :D

Vicki,

tokenitup

Just ordered one this morning (10AM CST) from www.VapeWorld.com with the promo code "10-off-10" for 10% off. Added 2 extra batteries, based on my readings here and elsewhere, came out to $97 and change shipped to my place.

Was amazed to see my shipping confirmation number and tracking link at around 12:00PM. They have sent me probably 4-5 e-mails letting me know, giving me invoices, one was even a PDF file of the invoice. Amazing service so far.

I'll post up what I think about it in a few days, I am a seasoned vapor veteran, been ripping the VaporBros for years, had a Volcano and didn't like it much, so we will see what this has to offer for on-the-go vaping!

tokenitup,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
tokenitup, you will probably see your LB in 2-3 days if your experience is like mine. Enjoy! :brow:

momofthegoons,

tokenitup

That is awesome. Just hoping to get it before the weekend! Going to the girlfriends grandparents house...Wah waaah (in descending tones)! But I'll have my discreet LB at least or if it gets here in time.

tokenitup,

sgvpunk

Congratulations! you are going to love the launch box!!!!!! THe extra batteries was a good idea. i couldnt be happier!!!!!!!

sgvpunk,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Just thought I'd post that I took the Launch Box into work today (not to use), and then at lunch time loaded up what would be a normal sized trench for me. I dumped it out onto wax paper and weighed the load; 172mg +/- 0.1mg

That trench would get me moderately high with good pain relief for about 2 hours off of 3-4 hits, and then when I hit it again in 2 hours I will get very high with excellent pain relief for 2-3 hours.

So, just want to say that I think that this Launch Box is very good for preservation of material and efficient for use of material. If I had to conserve (I don't) I would be happy with this in an evening. A bit more than 1/6g will do me for 4-5 hours.

In practice, I find myself now taking 3-4 good sized hits off of a fresh trench with a fresh battery, grinding the lightly vaped weed, and in 2 hours adding about 1/12g ( 82 mg with a large degree of variability if I am buzzed) of fresh weed, vaping that for 3-4 hits (again with a fresh battery) and am set for another 2 hours or so. And then in 2 hours I use a fresh battery (on the ~0.25g remains) and am usually gone for the count with any more than 4 hits.

Just want to show that the Launch Box can be efficient and used as a main vape. I know that the mileage of others may vary.

Tom

tdavie,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
I agree with most, but not about the LB being less efficient than PD/MZ/WDZ type vapes. To me efficiency is how stoned do I get with X amount of herb. When I take a PD stem and load it using the recommended suck method and then tap that load from the stem into the LB's trench, I will be A LOT more stoned from that X amount of herb in the LB then I would from vaping the exact same amount from that stem in my PD.

DeepFried,

lwien

DeepFried said:
When I take a PD stem and load it using the recommended suck method and then tap that load from the stem into the LB's trench, I will be A LOT more stoned from that X amount of herb in the LB then I would from vaping the exact same amount from that stem in my PD.
Wow. Really? Does anyone else experience this?

lwien,
lwien said:
DeepFried said:
When I take a PD stem and load it using the recommended suck method and then tap that load from the stem into the LB's trench, I will be A LOT more stoned from that X amount of herb in the LB then I would from vaping the exact same amount from that stem in my PD.
I am interested in this as well, since I have not yet bought my LB.

I find the Zap to be VERY economical so far, but if I can get that kind of economy in a portable too I will be one happy camper because let's face it - shit's expensive. :D

Howie Feltersnatch,

manchild

Vapourist
lwien said:
DeepFried said:
I experience this, but i think it's completely due to the fact that i can vape at a higher temperature with the LB.

manchild,

lwien

manchild said:
lwien said:
DeepFried said:
I experience this, but i think it's completely due to the fact that i can vape at a higher temperature with the LB.
Man, my PD, after being on 24/7 for over a year is as hot as I'd ever want it to be. ABV comes out a very dark brown.

lwien,

manchild

Vapourist
Yeah mine (PD) is getting very hot also. But it seems i can get even closer to combustion with the LB. Can't say it tastes very nice when you push it that far though. Not too sure you'd need or enjoy those higher temps lwien!
My unit is definitely one of the hotter running ones!

manchild,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
lwien said:
DeepFried said:
lol. no.

i load the LB with PD stems (wdz stems, whatever). I asked Todd for a couple of shorty stems for easier use with my bong that I never use anymore. I carry these around with my LB and load measured loads with it. i will say that the LB surprised me with its efficiency but no way does it get me more stoned than the wdz, or the mz which ran a bit cooler for me and gave me less of a body stone.

though, i will say that the high itself is different between the two. i'd attribute the feeling that one of these devices gets one more stoned with the same amount of herb to one's preference between the two slightly different highs. i dunno if that makes any sense but i do know that i feel differences between the highs with both. i prefer the wdz high. it is more intense. the LB has never gotten me high enough quick enough but it will get you there eventually. it is just too much of a hassle for me to be able to enjoy it. i have something called agitated depression and the leaf helps me relax, be calm, less guilty, less violent etc. and there have been times when i'm counting on the LB to get me stoned and it just won't do it, even with primo herb, and then i wanna just fucking throw it in the lake or strangle myself. heh but yeah, it annoys me that much most of the time. i dunno if it is the LB or me, but this has ruined many outings for me. probably me. i'm probably using it wrong. though i gotta be really stupid to not have figured it out by now. lol. hmm, on second thought, that does sound like me :)

i also want to say that, on the other hand, it has also greatly enhanced my ability to go out. i am a writer and a recluse by nature. being a little high when going out for a walk or to run errands or go to the library or to your in-laws house helps. makes being with me less painful of an experience. so in this way, the LB has been very useful and, when it works for me, it makes me feel a little normal when out amongst people. not sure if i like that feeling though hehe.

if you have the money lying around, pick one up. see for yourself. you will not regret your purchase because this little thing is very handy to have around when you are on the go.

obelisk,

tokenitup

I already bought one so the point is kind of moot ....but I'm an all time everty day user. How long do you think it takes you to get good and baked? I'm wanting that, but with the LB on the go or at work in a bathroom or something. What are your thoughts obelisk?

tokenitup,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
obelisk said:
... i have something called agitated depression and the leaf helps me relax, be ... less violent etc. ...the LB has never gotten me high enough quick enough.... and there have been times when i'm counting on the LB to get me stoned ... and then i wanna just fucking throw it ... or strangle myself.
Dear Obelisk,

You are making it sound like we would be doing the world a public service by ensuring that you get full benefit from the Box. Perhaps there is something here that should have been covered by the warranty? By way of diagnosis to ensure that your unit is heating at the expected rate, I can suggest some tests to determine if this is a calibration issue or merely one of high tolerance on you part. For example, I would expect that you would see noticeable browning of the load with 5 slow "longish" hits of about 15 seconds or so each. Alternately, I would expect to see significant browning (dark brown) on the bottom of a given finely ground load if you were to simply put the battery in without drawing for 15 seconds. If neither of these conditions hold -- ie, the unit is simply not working as it should, please contact us privately via email.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
obelisk try smaller trench and a bit of kif, then take pulsed slow puffs draw 3secs, pause 1sec, repeat. That usually gets me a bigger cloud.

MikRoOrganix,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Just got my LB this afternoon from a head shop here in so cal. Really excited about it. Finally was able to try it out this evening and I'm really impressed with it. It is smaller then I imagined and works very quickly. I find that a little bit of weed is going a long way. It won't be replacing my Q, simply because the Q doesn't deal with battery issues. Makes it better for long, relaxing sessions or entertaining friends. The LB could be used to do that if one had a bank of rechargeables.

Few questions. 1) Whats the best batteries for this unit AND the 15 minute charger? I am pretty set on picking up that charger because I really like the 15 minute charge time. 2) How do I tell what version I have? I see a little light come on behind the trench when the battery is in...is that the LED that the newer versions have or something else? 3) Will my LB get hotter or cooler as it breaks in? 4) I noticed that the instructions said that the light on the charger only means that batteries are charging, and that the light doesn't change to indicate charging status. However, once I got home and checked the charger, the light was off and the batteries seemed to have plenty of power. Does this mean my charger light goes off when they are full?

Its a really good product.

Thanks all!

finchrock24,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Few questions. 1) Whats the best batteries for this unit AND the 15 minute charger? I am pretty set on picking up that charger because I really like the 15 minute charge time. 2) How do I tell what version I have? I see a little light come on behind the trench when the battery is in...is that the LED that the newer versions have or something else? 3) Will my LB get hotter or cooler as it breaks in? 4) I noticed that the instructions said that the light on the charger only means that batteries are charging, and that the light doesn't change to indicate charging status. However, once I got home and checked the charger, the light was off and the batteries seemed to have plenty of power. Does this mean my charger light goes off when they are full?
I know it can be daunting to read through all the pages on this thread, but most of your answers are there. However, I will answer some the best I can.

1. The best batteries seem to be the ones supplied with the unit. The 15 min. charger (which I have also purchased) is great, especially in the car, however will shorten the life of your batteries significantly. You are much better off buying extra batteries and using the stock 4 hr. charger. There is mention in this thread of other chargers that drain the battery and then charge it. Go back a few pages and you will probably hit that part of the thread.
2.The newer version has the LED light. It will go on when your battery is fresh, but sometimes does not light up when the battery has lost some energy (at least with mine). I don't necessarily go by the light to know if it's working. I look for the vapor in the stem. How thick it is indicates if I need a new battery or not (with a new load).
3.I haven't noticed my LB getting hotter with age. The thing that makes it hotter is leaving the battery in longer. Too hot and you have combustion.
4. Your stock charger's light will turn off when the batteries are charged; usually 4 hours.

momofthegoons,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Does anyone worry about the sticky resin collecting under the screen? I've only had my LB a couple months, but there is a real build up in my box. I wish there were a way to clean that out. I know it hasn't affected performance, but I'm wondering if it could be detrimental to the box, over time.

Vicki,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I've wondered too Vicki and had read somewhere in this dauntingly long thread about hitting the box unloaded to 'use' some of the residue up. I've also read & tried the dry burn with new battery/cover open. I haven't done the ISO/brush thing yet. I figure if it isn't broke, I'm not fixing it lol! Good luck!

BTW, the no load burn for me actually produced a little bit so I guess I got something back from the residue ;)

Lo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Lo said:
I've wondered too Vicki and had read somewhere in this dauntingly long thread about hitting the box unloaded to 'use' some of the residue up. I've also read & tried the dry burn with new battery/cover open. I haven't done the ISO/brush thing yet. I figure if it isn't broke, I'm not fixing it lol! Good luck!

BTW, the no load burn for me actually produced a little bit so I guess I got something back from the residue ;)
I've done a few dry burns, but I still have a lot of build up. I don't think the dry burn is really getting under the screen as much as it's cleaning the screen itself.

I have not used any alcohol yet either. I may try it eventually, though.

Thanks. :)

Vicki,
Top Bottom