The Lotus Vaporizer

hweezi

formally cwheezy
The Lotus is an inspiring little thing... Here what I've turned:

779045DSCF8237.jpg

A cocobolo shorty version...

978627DSCF8240.jpg

It becomes a "Gandalf" pipe style, with the help of a Ed's mflb stem ( @Ed's TnT , thank you my good friend! ;))

I NEED ME SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

Ma gawd that's beautiful.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
I threw a lot of COLAS away of CANNABIS (GSC so no big issue) 5.75OZ

Once I grew too much DUTCH CRUNCH and threw away 7.10 OZ's.
Where I live you can only have 8.0oz's at a time.

However I'm a light weight compared to you.

1gram per day is all the flower I vaporize.
0.25 SHATTER is all I can handle.

You make me feel weak!

Hopefully when my EVO arrives I'll try and keep up with you!

The LOTUS is tasty and gets me super medicated.

OK I love CANNABIS more than devices!

My LOTUS is all burnt and not pretty however works fine.

I will keep the LOTUS in my rotation.

Here goes what they say about appearance and looks.. What matters is the inside :D
Mine is ugly, burnt, a screw is missing and I don't know what else is going on there but still is alive and kicking!! :D
Im even thinking on upgrading to Hi temp cap at some point just to be sure that Lotus will remain in my arsenal for lifetime! ;)
My daily usage with the Lotus is around a gram as well. Personal usage tho, since with friend you always vape a bit more :p

I don't know if you guys get that as well, but if you haven't vaped all day long, as soon as you get your couple first cups and you're with people you just become the guy that never stops talking all over the place with everyone in full speed and ur friends are just looking at you wondering if you're on xstasy or coke and you just keep on shooting words from your mouth non-stop. I sometimes restrain myself from vaping all day just to get that feeling in the afternoon... :p

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Here goes what they say about appearance and looks.. What matters is the inside :D
Mine is ugly, burnt, a screw is missing and I don't know what else is going on there but still is alive and kicking!! :D
Im even thinking on upgrading to Hi temp cap at some point just to be sure that Lotus will remain in my arsenal for lifetime! ;)
My daily usage with the Lotus is around a gram as well. Personal usage tho, since with friend you always vape a bit more :p

I don't know if you guys get that as well, but if you haven't vaped all day long, as soon as you get your couple first cups and you're with people you just become the guy that never stops talking all over the place with everyone in full speed and ur friends are just looking at you wondering if you're on xstasy or coke and you just keep on shooting words from your mouth non-stop. I sometimes restrain myself from vaping all day just to get that feeling in the afternoon... :p
I would take a photo of my LOTUS except I'm very lazy this morning!

My LOTUS is so old and burnt marks all over from learning how to use it.
When I was a young gun I smoked joints all day long.
As a grown up the LOTUS is like smoking a joint however it seems to be healthier?

I'm waiting for my next VAS fix at this place in time.

However the LOTUS is great for a fix!

I will have one to fill in the gaps.

The LOTUS is just a civilized method of enjoying!

sativasam

NO SMOKING
So just an update about the charring issue. As I said recently I had resorted to using the Lotus more like a Vapman but had only tried this with hash. I gave the Lotus a go with some herb with the same technique and I am able to get every last bit of goodness out of the herb, no charring, perfect ABV. Problem solved

Eyedunno

I just got a Zico MT-10 lighter. The torch seems a bit less powerful than the MT-20 at the same flame length, but otherwise I prefer the 90° design to the roughly 45° of the MT-20--it's even more comfortable to use than the MT-20. That said, the MT-20 (which I got with the Lotus itself) easily wins in the elegance department, and I like the heft it has. Still probably going to keep reaching for this MT-10 though.
PNTb7jl.jpg

Bvapst

@natural farmer Same here ! I was even in talk with Ed but he was busy.. now I see it has been made :p

@caphector Since @Aezhenn post the picture I'm dreaming back of it ... And yours clearly look similar to something I would like ! Can you take off the stem from the base where the wpa is ? What is the length ?
Same question as natural farmer, MP if you prefer ...

So just an update about the charring issue. As I said recently I had resorted to using the Lotus more like a Vapman but had only tried this with hash. I gave the Lotus a go with some herb with the same technique and I am able to get every last bit of goodness out of the herb, no charring, perfect ABV. Problem solved
Happy for ya ! I have the same with hash, need to be more cautious but generally don't have issue.
With wee, I find the Lotus to be really easy once you dial your tech' and get the feeling in your throat .. As many say, I even like the taste Lotus can give in the last puffs, where with other vapes I don't enjoy past the good tasty hits.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I've seen a few people lately complain of lack of control in the Lotus, resulting in mid charring your bowl.

Adressing this i'd like to give some advice:

1. If you fill your bowl more than half, you need to lower your heating time and stop right when you start to see some colour in the plate.

2. If you use water, be even more careful because the vapour doesn't get as harsh with the rising temperature because the water cools it down, especilly if on top there is a more than half bowl.

3. Get used to stop heating at the first hint of orrange, it'll allow to minimize the incidence of uneven roasting and also it'll allow you to absorb more cannabinoids because with the amount of vapour the Lotus produces it is very easy to waste more than you should.

4. Keep your flame length at roughly half to two thirds of the cap diameter.
As you continue to use you notice that the Lotus behaves better if you input the variables a certain way:

- bowl 30-40% full
- Heat until first orange colour in the cap
- Hit it slow and steady
- keep your screens clean (my aluminium stem hasn't been cleaned in months, my screen gets cleaned every two days with my torch)

As for the flame, the standard instruction is: perpendicular to the cap, aimed at the center, with the inner part of the flame touching the metal plate and the length of the complete flame is the half to two thirds of the caps diameter. You can also circle the flame a bit.
Sometimes, i like to keep my flame longer, it diminishes the heating time considerably which i like.

If you follow these guidelines, you'll for certain have a pleasant experience with the Lotus.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
The Lotus is an inspiring little thing... Here what I've turned:

779045DSCF8237.jpg

A cocobolo shorty version...

978627DSCF8240.jpg

It becomes a "Gandalf" pipe style, with the help of a Ed's mflb stem ( @Ed's TnT , thank you my good friend! ;))
Looks like really nice woodwork!

Something is wrong with me?
Years ago I used papers mostly.
The last few years I got into glass.

Now my lip can't put anything but glass.

The look of wood is cool.

I wish I could enjoy it like you can!

I like the WPA by LOTUS.

@vorrange I stuck with the LOTUS and would not be without it.
Nice write up!

Last edited:

Eyedunno

- bowl 30-40% full
- Heat until first orange colour in the cap
- Hit it slow and steady
- keep your screens clean (my aluminium stem hasn't been cleaned in months, my screen gets cleaned every two days with my torch)
I agree with most of these. That Dash spoon in the picture above--1/12th tsp (most dash spoons are 1/8, but probably still work pretty well) from a Norpro 3080 set--actually fits inside my bowl, so I turn the bowl 90°, put the spoon in there, then flip it upright, and it ends up about 30% full from a level spoon, and heap it a lot and you get around half full. I typically use it level or heaped just a little. But yeah, I think not overfilling is the most important tip.

I usually play it by feel to some degree, but I almost never heat it more than 8 seconds (I might go ten seconds if it is actually cold, and not just room temperature), and usually more like 5 or 6. Also, I quit preheating a few weeks ago. Yeah, you start getting vapor right away, but I found myself more likely to scorch my herb.

As for cleaning, I like to keep my screen shiny (though it's getting a little dark in the middle), so I do not torch it. I soak the bowl in a shot glass every 7-10 days, then after it's soaked for 30-60 minutes, I tip some alcohol down into the stem, cover the mouthpiece and the bowl and shake it up. Then I rinse it out thoroughly with warm water, shake it out, then pour a little more clean alcohol into the bowl,
clean out the stem then the bowl with a pipe cleaner (Dill's all cotton, not a standard headshop pipe cleaner with the stiff bristles mixed in), rinse it again, then use another pipe cleaner for more cleaning/drying. Oh, and then I sometimes hit the bowl with a hair dryer as well if I'm gonna use it right away.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Yeah, i don't preheat either. Never really did to be honest. I might draw slower the first 1-2 seconds though... in all fairness my draw technique has become second nature and i regulate intuitively. But slow and steady is the rule... i get everyone pulling huge clouds by their first time while i do the heating.

And i don't count my hits in seconds anymore... the colour is enough for me to get if its at temp. If i need more time due to cold, the colour will tell me that anyway.

As for cleaning... i hardly ever clean the stem... full cleaning only happened 2 times in the +2 years i have the Lotus. Normally its screen only. And the area around the bowl gets cleaned with a toothpic once in a very long while. I don't recommend any of this by the way... i should clean my stem a bit more often but the WPA gets the most use and the stem works fine as it is although i could have a looser draw if i kept it cleaner. ;)

Bizkat

Yeah, i don't preheat either. Never really did to be honest. I might draw slower the first 1-2 seconds though... in all fairness my draw technique has become second nature and i regulate intuitively. But slow and steady is the rule... i get everyone pulling huge clouds by their first time while i do the heating.

And i don't count my hits in seconds anymore... the colour is enough for me to get if its at temp. If i need more time due to cold, the colour will tell me that anyway.

Since you don't preheat, how close is your flame?

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I put the dense part of the flame touching the metal plate. That tip is the hotter portion of the flame... a tip gave to me by Calen who made the glass Gn0mes.

After saying earlier i didn't count my hits i decided to do just that. My hits varied from 5-10 sec and went as long as 20sec. I cashed half a bowl in 6 hits, lasting almost 8 minutes, 7m49sec.

Roughly 1 hit every 1m12sec.

Last edited:

caphector

That is one sweet piece Ed made for you bro! How much it went for? I have been dreaming of such a pipe since my first days with the Lotus!

@caphector Since @Aezhenn post the picture I'm dreaming back of it ... And yours clearly look similar to something I would like ! Can you take off the stem from the base where the wpa is ? What is the length ?
Same question as natural farmer, MP if you prefer ...
[/QUOTE]

I don't have it in front of me (out of town at the moment) but it's a bit longer than the standard metal stem that comes with Lotus. I haven't tried to take the stem off the base but I believe @Ed's TnT told me. I can't comment on the price because Ed gave me a deal for the first one. I'll drop him a PM and ask him to stop by and give us more info since he said he'd like to add the stem as a product.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
I put the dense part of the flame touching the metal plate. That tip is the hotter portion of the flame... a tip gave to me by Calen who made the glass Gn0mes.

After saying earlier i didn't count my hits i decided to do just that. My hits varied from 5-10 sec and went as long as 20sec. I cashed half a bowl in 6 hits, lasting almost 8 minutes, 7m49sec.

Roughly 1 hit every 1m12sec.

So basically you're holding your torch around 3-4cm max from the plate, which I just tried it and I must say that I'm getting even better and more even ABV color!! (NIIICE)

I was having it pretty close as well but I wouldn't have the dense part of the flame torching the plate. Now the draw gets even shorter and more efficient!! :evil::mental:

Many thanx for sharing @vorrange!! :clap:
I have also counted similar timings for half or 2/3 bowls which is totally unbelievable....

vorrange

Vapor.wise
With any length of flame, you should always put the dense tip touching the metal because it is the hotter portion of the flame so it is the most efficient.

Most of my hits where overing 6 seconds, and for the first three (not the first because i don't grind) i get bags of vapour without reaching a clear orrange colour... it is just a tinge of orange and i stop.
If it is bright orange, unless the load is still beginning, you'll enter uneven roasting territory.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Good morning everyone, I hope all is well, that piece I did for @caphector a while back was a neat piece to make and I learned quite a bit from doing it, wasnt a breeze at all, took quiet a bit of work and time as well, did turn out really well though and from what caphector has told me is performing pretty well! I must say that that particular piece is not cheap, its probably alot more than many of you want to pay in fact. It was posted a while back when caphector got it and I had one inquiry, I explained to that person how much time went into it and the quality of that species of wood, that entire piece is rather large and takes quite a bit of wood to make which isnt cheap. The amount of time I have in it is more than any other pieces that I make, I have said it before its not about the money to me, its about the user and how they feel about it, if they are happy I am happy, but in this case time is what I dont have a lot of and time is money, I still care about the user and their feelings but cant just do the work and spend the time and give the piece away for nothing, just not going to happen. The piece I made has a 2"L downstem and a 6"L draw stem both made from African Blackwood as I would only want to do this type piece with the most densest wood. The 2 pieces can be taken apart they are just held together by a tight compression fit is all, I turned the draw stem to have a tight tolerance but possible to remove for cleaning. If you would like to know more pls let me know and we can talk it over.

@Bvapst I am sorry I forgot about you bro and yeah I was busy then as I am for the most part, that Lotus sat on my bench for several months before I was able to make what I made for it, Caphector waited for quiet a while before I could get that to him. I do apologize my man!

bounce5

I just got a Zico MT-10 lighter. The torch seems a bit less powerful than the MT-20 at the same flame length, but otherwise I prefer the 90° design to the roughly 45° of the MT-20--it's even more comfortable to use than the MT-20. That said, the MT-20 (which I got with the Lotus itself) easily wins in the elegance department, and I like the heft it has. Still probably going to keep reaching for this MT-10 though.
PNTb7jl.jpg

Love the look of that Hi-temp Lotus cap...

VeganVaper

Been lurking FC for awhile and have combed through pretty much all of this thread in the past couple weeks trying to decide on an upgrade from the FM Mini. :sherlock:

Happy to say I placed an order for a Lotus today! Now the waiting begins.

Got the Al. Stem and WPA kit. Any tips on a small bubbler to use it with? Smaller than the D020 would be great. Will probably get a J-hook eventually too.

Thanks to all the great folks who post here! Helped make a much more informed choice. :clap:

Teedub

woo lotus wpa kit ordered! I have wanted one of these for a long time. Vas has been under control since the sub landed but I def need this one :shrug:

This is gonna be my ''I'm too impatient for my desktop vape to heat up'' solution. Looks good for a simple traveler and a power outage/ dead portable battery solution.

I got the leather cap pouch as well, anyone know if the wpa also fits in it with the cap?

:peace:

Eyedunno

Any tips on a small bubbler to use it with? Smaller than the D020 would be great.

Your post made me try the D020-D for the first time with the Lotus (and a low-profile 14mm adapter). It was a very good experience, but I think the E-nano just works better overall with water (though I agree with @ataxian 's frequent reminder that the Lotus has the best WPA design out there).

This thing looks like it would be a beast with the Lotus, and you can get 2nd quality for $32.
http://www.thickassglass.com/collections/bubblers/products/tag-7-ratchet-bubbler-with-water-recycler

Edit: Actually, it appears to only be available in pink and green for $50 right now, with no 2nd quality or other colors available.

Edit #2: Oh dude, what about the Purr2Go?!
http://www.420science.com/Purr-2Go-Polycarbonate-Bubbler

Top Bottom