The land beyond the LB. Which path should I choose?

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
I got an LB and im diggin it but I know I can handle more vapor and I think I would enjoy a vaporizer with more precision. I've been looking at the EQ it looks pretty good. One guy said he pefered the Solo. Hoping for some feedback.

Also on a sidenote I have decided to quit BHO and will be looking for alternative (and more natural) methods of processing trim and vaporizing the results without spending too much. If I had access to safer lab quality concentrates I would be pleased however these are usually expensive and not affordable.

What are your preferences? Whips or bags? The EQ can hook a bag up to a water pipe chamber from what I saw but now I read something about vapor escaping from the bag between breaths.

CHEI,

treecityrnd

Whips and bags are dirty IMHO. Logs & glass are the way to go; LSV, CRZ, HI, UD, VG (glass), Cloud, gnome, etc. And water filtration when necessary or desired. I'm definitely not the one to ask about glass. I'm trying to pick up my first Mobius or BC12 soon, but only have some RooR and SYN in my collection now. Definitely a glass noob but loving it.

I liked the EQ for both the bag & whip, but haven't used either method in a long time. I prefer the taste and ability to 100% clean my vapor/air path in my LSV/logs/water pipes to even my SSV through a whip.

treecityrnd,

Vapemania

I think the bag is a gimmick and a novelty.
For me, I want the device to reliably medicate even with poor grade herb.
In fact, especially with poor grade herb.
If the device does that, then if I end up with poor herb or light brown ABV, then I can still rely on being medicated.
This is an advantage.

And if I have good quality herb, then happy days.

A whip is convenient because you can toke from any position you want.
Only problem is, the whip will catch some of the THC.
But I think a lot of whip vape owners don't mind that.
The SSV and DBV have very solid reputations from what I've read.
Herb conservation is not brilliant, but heavy hits are guaranteed.

The log vapes enjoy a loyal following from serious vapists.
So you may want to look through the threads to find the one which you may prefer.
Accessories seem to be appearing with log vapes like stems and variable power adapters.
All of this will increase the price.

The EQ has a remote control.
What can I say?
For me, vaping is not about remote controls, touchscreens, painted glass, or even wood type.
It's about getting high with good herb conservation.
I think the log vapes are reliable in herb conservation.

I read on the MFLB thread that they're planning to release a new portable vape.
I expect it'll be an improved version of the MFLB.
You might want to wait for that.
But MFLB did say it won't be a desktop.

Vapemania,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vapemeister said:
I read on the MFLB thread that they're planning to release a new portable vape.
I expect it'll be an improved version of the MFLB.
You might want to wait for that.
But MFLB did say it won't be a desktop.

magicflight said they were working on a new product, not a new portable. Based on previous comments from him, my guess is that it is something to support vaporizing concentrates in the LB.

The thing about vapour escaping from the EQ bags is a mountain made from a molehill. Unless you squeeze the bag and force the vapour out, the amount that escapes is almost negligible. If you're obsessive about it, it's easy to find a way to cap the mouthpiece.

I haven't used a bag in ages. I think bags are only useful in a party environment because they are easier to pass around, which isn't a requirement for me. Bags start to taste nasty after you've used them three or four times because they provide a huge area for vapour condensation--which, incidentally, is probably a larger source of vapour loss than an open mouthpiece, especially if you don't use the whole bag pretty quickly.

pakalolo,

Vapemania

pakalolo said:
magicflight said they were working on a new product, not a new portable.

On page 619 of the MFLB thread, and in a personal reply to me, magicflight says 'we are still very committed to developing portables'.

What do you think this statement means?

my guess is that it is something to support vaporizing concentrates

But I'm not interested in your guess.
I'm interested in what magicflight say.
And magicflight are saying they're developing portables and will be having their 'next significant product release...later this year'.

The thing about vapour escaping from the EQ bags is a mountain made from a molehill.

Yes, but no-one has asked about this issue.
Neither the OP or myself.
There seems to be some confusion here.

The OP would like 'feedback' on desktop vaporisers.
And info on people's personal toking preferences.

My post has replied to both of these questions.
So you need to think about this.

I haven't used a bag in ages. I think bags are only useful in a party environment because they are easier to pass around, which isn't a requirement for me. Bags start to taste nasty after you've used them three or four times because they provide a huge area for vapour condensation--which, incidentally, is probably a larger source of vapour loss than an open mouthpiece, especially if you don't use the whole bag pretty quickly.

Very good point, Pikalo.
I'm sure the OP will regard this with great interest.

Vapemania,

CHEI

Are there any good alternatives to the LSV? a bit out of my price range (about $200) I've been looking at log vapes. looks like the UD has a silicon tube (I wonder how that feels). The HI seems like it is harder to get information and the website only sells the TT. I am impressed by the information on the CRZ website so far that is looking like the best option considering UD isn't selling until Feb 15. The CRZ people have been around 10 years so I trust that more than the HI.

Its hard to believe log vapes are that much better than whips. From what I'm hearing most people don't use bags. I'd get the LSV if I had the $ although it looks a bit large? What are the vaporizers that are similar to the LSV that can compare?

CHEI,

Mathair Naduir

Cannabis And Vapor Connoisseur
If you are looking for SATISFYING vapor, I would not go with the Solo! Better vapor than the MFLB, but does not even compare to the DBV/EQ.

I've owned both the DBV, and EQ. They hit rather equally, but I have heard rumors of the EQ possibly having an "unsafe" vapor path (electrical wires). On the other hand, the DBV, as well as all 7th Floor vaporizes have, arguably, the cleanest vapor path to date (not counting the Cloud, yet!), IMO. Not to mention the EQ has way too many parts.

The LSV/DBV/SSV are all the same heating element, but they vary in portability and ease of use. Although I am not an owner, the UD is getting really, really strong reviews from long-time FC members. Check out the thread, the UD may be for you. Very pricey though!

I would personally say go with a DBV off ebay for $150.

Here is a tip from someone who has owned 12 vaporizes, all from hearing about the on this website; When making your first investment into the "desktop" vaporizer market, go with the tried and true products on this FC website.

Mathair Naduir,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vapemania said:
pakalolo said:
magicflight said they were working on a new product, not a new portable.

On page 619 of the MFLB thread, and in a personal reply to me, magicflight says 'we are still very committed to developing portables'.

What do you think this statement means?

It means exactly what it says.

Vapemania said:
my guess is that it is something to support vaporizing concentrates

I'm interested in what magicflight say.
And magicflight are saying they're developing portables and will be having their 'next significant product release...later this year'.

I don't care whether you're interested in my guess or not. Others might be, since many of them know I follow Magic-Flight quite closely. If you're really interested in what magicflight has to say, then you might try looking that up. Perhaps you skipped over the part where I mentioned that my guess was based on previous posts from magicflight. From a post on 2011-08-19:

magicflight said:
Abysm said:
Are there any plans to make a liquid pad for the mf? I would love to be able to do native earwax in the box.

Hi,

Yes, there are plans in place for this. The design is complete -- alpha stage testing is still pending and system ops are still in draft. It will be a little while yet before I can say much about these.

-- Magic-Flight

Vapemania said:
The thing about vapour escaping from the EQ bags is a mountain made from a molehill.

Yes, but no-one has asked about this issue.
Neither the OP or myself.
There seems to be some confusion here.

Indeed there is, but I'm not the one confused. From the OP:

CHEI said:
The EQ can hook a bag up to a water pipe chamber from what I saw but now I read something about vapor escaping from the bag between breaths.

Vapemania said:
The OP would like 'feedback' on desktop vaporisers.
And info on people's personal toking preferences.

My post has replied to both of these questions.
So you need to think about this.

I did. I concluded that your tone is condescending and rude, you don't do your homework, and you don't comprehend what you've supposedly read. These are things you need to think about.

Vapemania said:

Very good point, Pikalo.
I'm sure the OP will regard this with great interest.

It's pakalolo. If you need help, it's right there in the box on the left. ;)

pakalolo,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
To the OP: my personal path was MFLB (99$) > DBV (200$) > NO2 (180$) > EQ (240$) during the course of about 1.5 year. I still own the MFLB, the NO2 and the EQ to this day.

After experimenting vapor for the first time with the MFLB, I was quickly looking for something more efficient and desktop. So the DBV was my choice because of the price, reputation, ease of use and it seemed a solid and healthy product. All of it was true and I really enjoyed using it with my Mobius water beaker too. Until my needs changed and then I wanted to use bags so I sold my DBV and bought an Arizer EQ.

The EQ is made in Canada and is a fine product. I am very impressed after about one month of DAILY medical usage. Both whip and bags works well. I use my thumb or a shaved peace of eraser to block the bag mouthpiece. I've used the same bag so far and it does not look or taste nasty yet. Very consistent results, and that is what I like. 3 Years warranty.

My :2c:

Vaporisateur,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
My sig has my choice, so I'll just say, as a relatively new vaporist who needed bags on my first vape, you won't need bags. Bags are great for absolute new cannabis users, and parties.

If you have good quality herbs, logs are the way to go, IMO. They got me away from combusting completely and are perfect for getting where I want to be, and maintaining it. Easy, tasty, efficient, and satisfying.

It's all about what fits your needs though.

Magic9,

CHEI

I can see the two sides. Some people like the whip others like the log vape. I honestly have no idea where to start all I know is I'd like to get the biggest vapor clouds possible. I heard the SSV is really good for that.

CHEI,

Cloud_Surfer

Medicinaal Dampen
Havelock Vetenari said:
If big clouds are your goal 'De Verdamper' might just do quite nicely as well. ;)

^This might be the understatement of the century. :lol:

It's hard to recommend a vaporizer for someone I've never met ;) but I'd be inclined to suggest you take from what has already been offered here and decide what suits your individual needs. Everyone will recommend something different.

Bags v. whips:
To me, bags are a one dimensional experience. They are great for when groups are involved, but other than that I prefer a direct-draw style vape. Whip style/direct draw gives the user much more control and flexibility. As you become more experienced with vaporizers, you will come to appreciate the benefits of direct draw. I'll stop there and just say that I could talk all day about the reasons I don't really care for bags. :2c:

And as others have mentioned, the best taste you can get from a vape won't come from either a whip or a bag. That, however, is an entirely different discussion...

Cloud_Surfer,
CHEI said:
I can see the two sides. Some people like the whip others like the log vape. I honestly have no idea where to start all I know is I'd like to get the biggest vapor clouds possible. I heard the SSV is really good for that.

If you're looking for big clouds, I'd recommend taking a closer look at the HI. You mentioned that you appreciate the fact that Rick of CRZ has been in business for 10 years, and that's definitely good consumer wisdom. However, we're in a very fortunate situation right now in terms of log vape manufacturers and their customer service reputations.

Rick of CRZ, Alan of HI/TT and Dave of UD have all demonstrated impeccable track records of doing whatever it takes (even if it costs them money) to satisfy their customers. I'm not sure of warranty specifics for UD and CRZ, but I know that the HI/TT warranty is as follows: if you break it, you pay to have it fixed. If the unit breaks on its own, Alan will fix it, for free, for life. That's certainly enough reassurance for me.

When you check out the HI thread, you'll see the reasons why Alan hasn't had time to give the HI its own website presence: he's a one-man operation, and he's too busy coming up with new roasting tubes (25+ designs currently available) and building HIs to update the website. I'm sure the HI will have a full website presence in the near future, but for now, the HI thread is Alan's interface with his customers.

If you can convince yourself to wait another 2-3 weeks before buying a new vape, you'll probably see plenty of new reviews in the HI thread to add to the ones that are already there. The ones that have already come in are overwhelmingly positive. As Alan is currently in the process of getting more HIs out to more people (myself included - I ordered a HI after extensively comparing all log vapes, and I currently own a Purple Days - arguably the most popular log on FC until PD closed just before the new year).

Anyhow, the reason why I tell you all of this is because the consensus so far is that the HI is capable of reaching hotter temperatures than the CRZ, has exceptional airflow, and will certainly deliver the "big, hot" hits that you (and I) are looking for.

Vapemania said:

Oh really? Because all you're doing is guessing, as well. And given that you don't have 1/10th of pakalolo's experience regarding these matters, and the fact that you read a statement such as 'we are still very committed to developing portables' as "our next product WILL BE another portable vaporizer," I'd trust pakalolo's guess long before I trusted yours.

As others have told you in various other threads:

Stop polluting this forum with your assumptions. You're confusing newcomers and spreading shaky/incorrect information when you continually pose your personal (and often esoteric) opinions and preferences as "general consensus" or even "fact."

Check your attitude. Don't you feel silly saying "Yes, but no-one has asked about this issue. Neither the OP or myself. There seems to be some confusion here" in regards to vapor escaping from bags when the OP asked that exact question?

OKcomputer,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
get a supreme vaporizer... you will not find a harder hitting vape and it is portable. people gripe about the exposed heating element but the pros of the supreme far outweigh the cons. when I look for vapes I look for reliability over anything. The metal wood vapes (the logs, supreme, vapor lithe, etc) always turn out to be my favorite because they are my unbreakable vapes. The supreme has taken a beating yes a beating from all of my friends and it still works perfectly because there are no breakable parts. glass is awesome and I love the look and feel but I have no qualms with high grade metals and I notice no difference in the taste in fact I think the Supreme is one of the tastiest cleanest hitting vapes out there if used at the right temps. Nothing will milk your bong or any glass better and give you the best rips you can ask for anywhere you are. 200 price tag is well put on it and it is totally worth the results. people fear the supreme until they try it but imo it's still the best vape out there (awaiting attack for that one lol)

Goodlife101,

Nycdeisel

Aluminum becomes toxic if you expose it to too high of a temperature, so while in some vaporizers you may simply burn the herb and possibly have to clean all the parts in the vapor path, with the Supreme (the TORCH POWERED SUPREME, word is the new one coming out next will be fixed temp and electrically powered to avoid this very dangerous possibility) you start to cross the line of what the aluminum can take before offgassing.
This can happen with cooking as well so dont make the cooking with aluminum argument as if that is any different. vaporization temperatures for herb are similar to the temperatures you would cook food with in the oven. One must be careful when coming into such contact on a regular basis and possibly going too hot. there are warnings not to exceed certain temperatures though in the SV insert.

:peace:

Nycdeisel,

hunterthompson

I was in the same boat as you are in now. I had a LB but wanted something more especially to use with friends. I ended up getting a CRZ and do not regret it for a second. Although it still isn't ideal for groups it is a definite improvement over the LB in that respect and the ease of use is ridiculous. They also pair very easily with water pipes. I honestly could not think of a better vape for me. Keep in mind though, I have a very, very low tolerance (I only need less than 1/2 a stem) so if you have a very high tolerance you may want to look at the UD which can hold more material. Either way, log vapes are great and I highly recommend the CRZ, Rick and his product are awesome!

hunterthompson,

CHEI

people seem to like the logs so I'll probably get one. the UD has a silicon tip and the CRZ has a metal tip (which I don't think I'd like). I think you might be able to upgrade to glass I'd like some input here. How can I get more info on the HI since there is no website. I can't wait for a new vape! I'm excited I recently got into a fight with my LB but then I cleaned it and after it hits much better

CHEI,

weedemon

enthusiast
I think no matter which of the 3 you choose you will be happy with what you get! :) I love my UD but hear great things form both HI and CRZ owners too :p

I can tell you that currently the UD is the hardest hitting vape (excluding oil vapes) I have in my collection atm. I think it even hits harder than my ssv did even.

weedemon,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Nycdeisel said:
Aluminum becomes toxic if you expose it to too high of a temperature
What sort of temperatures are we talking about here? I thought that aluminium doesn't even melt until it reaches 660C (1220F). As one of the most abundant elements on the planet, aluminium occurs naturally in our food, air, and water, so it's unavoidable anyway. You'd need to ingest a lot for it to become toxic.

hazy,

CHEI

UD is about out of my price range. I could get a CRZ or HI. I probably will get one or the other.

CHEI,

SD_haze

CHEI said:
UD is about out of my price range. I could get a CRZ or HI. I probably will get one or the other.
UD twigs are the same price as the CRZ & HI
~170

Really makes choosing difficult :lol:

Back in the day you just chose "do I want to wait months for my Purpledays or my aromazap now or a funky but functional woodeez"

Luckily its basically impossible to choose wrong.

SD_haze,

SD_haze

CHEI said:
UD is listed at 259.00 on their catalogue http://www.underdogvapes.com/catalog/vapes/vapes-available/

it looks like the CRZ UD and HI all have glass stems as well.

CRZ is 185.00

HI is $150 + $10 or $15 for the stem from what I can see.

Understandable confusion.
See the catalog is wayyyy out of date, most of them have the older internals as well.
Like the HI, the website hasn't been updated with the new info.

The new underdog twigs (which are the ones most comparable to the CRZ & HI) are ~170 and you might be able to pick up a blemished "lost dog" for even cheaper at around 150.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom