The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
3 minutes of actual time? Probably how much actual time depends on who using it. Some people have some really lung busting draws. Not me, but I have a friend that can really give it a long hard draw, he would use up more time on his draws I would imagine.

I will have extra batteries so the 3 minutes wouldn't be an issue for me.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I only have one extra battery coming. I hope it's like my firefly, which also has a reputation for short battery life because I rarely need that extra battery. Grasshopper actually offered to add a couple of extra batteries to my order for free at one point because of an error, and I said I only wanted one. Because I'm hoping that the extra one won't need to be used very often, maybe I'm being too optimistic but that's the way I roll...

OF

3 minutes of actual time? Probably how much actual time depends on who using it.

I'm not sure how we got to three minutes, I think it'll be longer than that but not by a whole lot. It won't be a realistic fraction of four hours.

For sure it's dependent on temperature, load size and moisture and so on. It will, I hope, be sufficient for many but it will surely fall short for many as well. A couple of (short) sessions perhaps, but a limiting factor for most owners I'm guessing.

Time will tell.

OF

fonzerelli

I don't understand why people expect this vaporizer to be their every day heavy hitting go to vape. It's not designed for that, nor is it designed as one to be used at parties.

It should be appealing to those that want something small and stealthy with potentially really good performance (for it's form factor).

Spinuch

I don't understand why people expect this vaporizer to be their every day heavy hitting go to vape. It's not designed for that, nor is it designed as one to be used at parties.

It should be appealing to those that want something small and stealthy with potentially really good performance (for it's form factor).
People were expecting it because it was poorly advertised as the most amazing do everything vape in pen size. It's called disappointment. Very realistic disappointment. The expectations were so high because of their claims and now like a lot of companies before we're finding out claims were misleading at the least.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
When they said pen vape I assumed it was going to be awesome, not potentially awesome.

If it delivers like the Solo and is pen form I will be okay with that. I find the Solo to not perform as well as I would like it to but its ease of use and consistent delivery gives me incentive to keep it. If the Grasshopper doesn't have big battery life I doubt it will be used often since I take many extended draws and needed the herb to be black three minutes ago.

If battery life isn't what they say it is concentrates may just be a fantasy for the future.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE

Bold claims made by the company, essentially effective PR.

OF

If the Grasshopper doesn't have big battery life I doubt it will be used often since I take many extended draws and needed the herb to be black three minutes ago.

If battery life isn't what they say it is concentrates may just be a fantasy for the future.

I don't expect it to do well compared to Solo, for sure not exceed it. You sound like an example of a poor fit I think. Others should find a better fit, hopefully.

Sadly I agree with you, concentrates can have a bigger power demand. Fortunately there are some good conduction based concentrate vapes out there to cover a range of needs. This one, needlessly using convection to heat is likely to be less efficient I think?

Not a good tool for power users I'm thinking.

And I'm also thinking I'd love to be proven wrong........

OF

CarolKing

When they said pen vape I assumed it was going to be awesome, not potentially awesome.

If it delivers like the Solo and is pen form I will be okay with that. I find the Solo to not perform as well as I would like it to but its ease of use and consistent delivery gives me incentive to keep it. If the Grasshopper doesn't have big battery life I doubt it will be used often since I take many extended draws and needed the herb to be black three minutes ago.

This vape pen doesn't sound like its going to even come close to the Solo's performance. This doesn't look like it will work for you then.

I agree with @OF this is a casual use pen when you need to be discreet when you are on the go. Three minutes of use isn't a lot, but it will work for what I need it for.

Chill Dude

People were expecting it because it was poorly advertised as the most amazing do everything vape in pen size. It's called disappointment. Very realistic disappointment. The expectations were so high because of their claims and now like a lot of companies before we're finding out claims were misleading at the least.

Good points Sinuch. However, it's a little premature for us to be dissappinted IMO. OF is a well respected member on this forum, he has a strong engineering background and his opinions carry a lot of weight with many on this forum including myself. That said, the Grasshopper team(although a bunch of young guys) have engineering backgrounds as well. I could be wrong, but I don't think these guys are trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. If they say we can expect 3 to 4 sessions per battery charge, then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously, they have tested the battery life to come to that conclusion. Of course, they could be telling us a blatant lie regarding battery life, but I don't think they roll like that. There's plenty of time to be dissapointed after we receive our Hoppers LOL...but for now I'm going to stay optimistic!

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
A lot closer to the air than the solo imo :2c:
Agreeable.

This vape pen doesn't sound like its going to even come close to the Solo's performance. This doesn't look like it will work for you then.

I agree with @OF this is a casual use pen when you need to be discreet when you are on the go. Three minutes of use isn't a lot, but it will work for what I need it for.
If this is for casual use is the Atmos Boss and other primarily conduction vapes for light use?

How would the Imag+ satisfy better than the gH if temperature control is the other only difference besides convection/conduction?

The unit can cost over 180 I'm guessing after pre-orders the Ti units will reach 200. A normal Grasshopper is 135 with pre-order but will probably be 150 after.

For on the go, I'm sure this would satisfy me, it would be rather disappointing if it didn't medicate me as well as my other on the go vapes. But that sounds unlikely.

EDIT:
Give us some water pipe videos.

CarolKing

It looks like the unit will be around between $110 - $145. The $250 pkg is for a lot of extras.

We won't know for sure until the unit comes out. None of us has one to actually comment on. We are just guessing.

I'm not stressing out about it.

EDIT
Thanks for that. The website is confusing. That's still not that expensive for something of quality. I would rather spend a little more and get something that's not cheaply made. So a $135 for a basic unit.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

I agree that the Grasshoper battery life won't compare to that of the Solo. I can get six sessions per charge on the Solo. I'd actually be happy if the Hopper could provide three sessions. That would be reasonable usage IMO. We shall see.....

I would rather spend a little more and get something that's not cheaply made.

What makes you think that it's cheaply made?

Last edited by a moderator:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
How did it go from the 3 hours of continuous usage to 3 minutes?
Right. These people are funny.

Here’s an update for you from the ‘Grasshopper Vaporizer’ team:

1 new Announcement:

Hey Everyone,

The Grasshopper Project has been moving along steadily for the last 15 days. We’re very nearly done with the last of the engineering work on the Hopper, so it’s down to manufacturing, testing and assembly. We’re waiting on the next batch of production parts to come in, and we’ll post pictures of those as soon as they’re received.

We’ve spent some time every month in a back-and-forth exchange with our battery manufacturer. Every time we’ve received a battery, we’ve put it through extensive testing to verify it’s capacity, discharge rate and lifespan. Though we’ve had serviceable batteries for months it’s been a battle to get what we exactly wanted. We’ve just completed initial tests on what is likely to be the Grasshopper’s final battery.

Due to it’s small size and high discharge rate, it was a challenge for the manufacturer to produce the cell to our specifications. We kept insisting that they make it better, and eventually they did. Have a look at our cycle count chart below. This chart illustrates the loss of battery capacity over a given number of cycles. The Grasshopper is an extremely demanding application for a battery, and we’re happy to get such great results from the stress test.

20140615225017-battery_testing.JPG

Finally, we’re happy to announce the addition of a new member of the team. Dustin was chosen after a number of interviews with some great people. He’ll be working on designing and building the assembly setup, and then working to put together Hoppers with the rest of us. His experience in construction and hands-on engineering directly applies to the next stage of the project, so we think he’s going to be a good fit for the job.

Look for our next update on June 1st!

The Grasshopper Team

Visit the ‘Grasshopper Vaporizer’ campaign.

So was this a blatant lie or an early testing miscalculation?
If I read that correctly it means it supposedly took 400 clicks on and off to lose 10% battery life.

CarolKing

What makes you think that it's cheaply made?
No I don't mean it's cheaply made. You misunderstood. At first I thought a basic unit was $110. I commented I'd rather pay a little more and feel I was getting something that's better made. It's $135 instead of what I thought it was.

We won't know what it's like until we get it, I'm guessing and just reading the info and trying to get caught up.

Chill Dude

How did it go from the 3 hours of continuous usage to 3 minutes?

On the frequently asked questions section of their website they state that the Grasshopper will provide 3 to 4 sessions on a single charge. I really don't know where the 3 hours of continuous usage came from.

No I don't mean it's cheaply made. You misunderstood. At first I thought a basic unit was $110. I commented I'd rather pay a little more and feel I was getting something that's better made. It's $135 instead of what I thought it was.

We won't know what it's like until we get it, I'm guessing and just reading the info and trying to get caught up.

Okay..my bad. I misinterpeted your post..

Last edited by a moderator:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
On the frequently asked questions section of their website they state that the Grasshopper will provide 3 to 4 sessions on a single charge. I really don't know where the 3 hours of continuous usage came from.
It was what they originally stated for battery life.

Though 3-4 chambers sounds more reasonable if it extracts like the Solo/Air since it forces you to take more hits than you should have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom