Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
So I just made a delightful discovery... My Joe Copeland micro Klein mates perfectly with the GH silicone MP.

Here's a video of a pinch of Nameless OG at 3.5 then at 4.

Nice video. I couldn't help but notice that it seems as if you are drawing really hard on that bubbler. I have found, with my GH, that it milks my bubbler more if I don't draw on it too hard. Maybe it just seems like you're drawing really hard because of the size of your Klein. Have you tried drawing on it at a slower pace?

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
I did try that in a couple of test runs, but for some reason the vapor output was not that great.

I'll give it another go with another strain and draw slower.

You do generally have to draw harder on Kleins to get the diffusion you want.

What you will not see in smaller pieces like this, is the "milk" factor because the volume of the piece is so small, there's not much area for it to build up and "milk" as you would say.

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I did try that in a couple of test runs, but for some reason the vapor output was not that great.

I'll give it another go with another strain and draw slower.
Thanks, I was just curious if yours is functioning differently. I do use it at the 5th temperature setting though, so that may also play a role in your piece not getting white-walled as much.

Vapetrees,
Reactions: btka

TheWhisper

Does anyone know if it's safe to keep batteries in airtight containers, like a Doobtube? I don't see any reason why not, but I'm not a battery expert.

Tony Timeless

Hey guys,

I've got a question:
Is it really so important to use an external device for charging the battery?
If so, is the device @FluffMolotov mentioned above, confirmed to work with the GH?

Or is this only recommended for heavy use of the GH?

Thanks for helping me out here!

Tony Timeless,

FluffMolotov

Hey guys,

I've got a question:
Is it really so important to use an external device for charging the battery?
If so, is the device @FluffMolotov mentioned above, confirmed to work with the GH?

Or is this only recommended for heavy use of the GH?

Thanks for helping me out here!
I'm only using external chargers to charge up my extra cells, I do trust GH to engineer a safe charger. Without knowing what maximum current the GH charger provides (and the charging curve) it will be impossible to surmise which charger is healthier to use. Also the actual USB output power is what determines the end charge rate, for example 500 mA from a port in USB 2.0; 900 mA in USB 3.0. When I get my Hoppers I will do proper testing to find the optimum charge rate for these batteries. One thing is certain is that choosing a lower charge current setting (500ma on the lii-100) than the max of what the GH charger provides (I'm guessing just under 1000ma) , will in turn help overall battery longevity (the faster you charge, the shorter the total cell lifespan).

Hope that helps, I'm a lil' lifted.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hi @Tony Timeless

I agree with @FluffMolotov about keeping the charge rate low. However I like certainty as far as I can afford it which is why I personally will be adopting @Eleaf420 's philosophy and keeping the charging of batteries external to the hopper.

At home I'll charge two, have one charged and another in use in the hopper. I'll never need to charge unattended with that rotation.

On the road I'll do the same.

I was going to go for the Nitecore UM20 but after doing a little reading I'm leaning more towards the XTAR VC2.

Nitecore UM20 Digicharger For AA 18650 18500 14500 18350 18700 LCD Screen (D2 D4 I2 I4 UM10)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PDNKMJS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_D8d3wb7BP4M3R

XTAR VC2 Premium USB Charger w/ LCD Screen Display (MC Series Upgrade)18350 18500 18650 18700 14500 16340 17500 Li-ion Battery Charger(Without Batteries)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PQBGE6C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_-Jl3wbJXPACM6

@Eleaf420 suggested: EFEST LUC v2 Battery Charger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J9NZTEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_CNl3wbHZMWJHA

Which looks good but doesn't charge via USB which is a key feature I'm after for portability and flexibility.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Hi @Tony Timeless

I agree with @FluffMolotov about keeping the charge rate low. However I like certainty as far as I can afford it which is why I personally will be adopting @Eleaf420 's philosophy and keeping the charging of batteries external to the hopper.

At home I'll charge two, have one charged and another in use in the hopper. I'll never need to charge unattended with that rotation.

On the road I'll do the same.

I was going to go for the Nitecore UM20 but after doing a little reading I'm leaning more towards the XTAR VC2.

Nitecore UM20 Digicharger For AA 18650 18500 14500 18350 18700 LCD Screen (D2 D4 I2 I4 UM10)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PDNKMJS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_D8d3wb7BP4M3R

XTAR VC2 Premium USB Charger w/ LCD Screen Display (MC Series Upgrade)18350 18500 18650 18700 14500 16340 17500 Li-ion Battery Charger(Without Batteries)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PQBGE6C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_-Jl3wbJXPACM6

@Eleaf420 suggested: EFEST LUC v2 Battery Charger

Which looks good but doesn't charge via USB which is a key feature I'm after for portability and flexibility.
The XTAR VC2 looks good, but the charging wall plug isn't included. Would appreciate a link to a suitable wall charge plug. Also, some manufacturer supplied USB plugs give poor charge rate performance... alternates can provide up to double the rate. IDK, though, about the XTAR VC2 supplied USB... Thanks!

EDIT: Also for your interest... looks like a good deal - XTAR VC4 Universal 4 Channels LCD Ni - Mh Li - ion Battery Charger Compatible with USB / Wall Adapter - BLACK
http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp...edium=CPCUS&utm_campaign=Displayads&vip=79076

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hi @Snappo

It's down to personal choice really.

I want a slow charge rate as:

the faster you charge, the shorter the total cell lifespan

The USB feature means I can carry a separate wall wort that can be used for my phone as well. Alternatively if I'm taking my laptop (MS S.PRO 3's power adapter also has a UL certified usb port) I can charge off of that. For me it's all about being more modular.

I plan to pair it with a Mu Plug (as I already have one)

http://www.themu.co.uk/pages/mu-system

However the 'EFEST LUC v2 Battery Chargwr' as suggested by @Eleaf420 isn't USB so can charge faster if you prefer but requires it's own wall wort that's required.

Tony Timeless

puuhhhhh :)

thanks for all these informations. Helpful as always, much appreciated.

I have to admit that i don't understand everything due to language issues, so - sorry for asking again, but:

Is a XTAR VC2 or a Nitecore UM20 recommended when exclusively used with USB to charge the GH battery?

Tony Timeless,
Reactions: Snappo

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
puuhhhhh :)

thanks for all these informations. Helpful as always, much appreciated.

I have to admit that i don't understand everything due to language issues, so - sorry for asking again, but:

Is a XTAR VC2 or a Nitecore UM20 recommended when exclusively used with USB to charge the GH battery?

No worries, I'm still figuring this out for myself as well.

I know others have asked about the Nitecore I2, D2, I4, D4, XTAR VC4 and claim to have some form of positive response from GHL regarding their use. You'll need to use the forum search to find the posts for confirmation. I'd link to them for you but I'm writing this on my mobile, it's late and my GH is proving to be highly effective :ko:

I personally have only contacted GHL to check if the Mu Plug...

http://www.themu.co.uk/products/worldwide-traveller

... would void the warrenty if used to charge the GH. The Mu Plug is not UL listed but is NEMKO listed. I personally have no idea what all that means so I forwarded an email from 'Mu Systems' to 'GHL' asking straight up if I could use it to charge the hopper.

Caroline from GHL responded stating it was fine to use regarding the warranty but that they can't guarantee it will offer normal operation. I read that to mean they won't penalise me by voiding the warranty for using it but they haven't tested it themselves and can't guarantee performance. Good enough for me.

I haven't yet asked about the XTAR VC2.

nonbeliever

No worries, I'm still figuring this out for myself as well.

I know others have asked about the Nitecore I2, D2, I4, D4, XTAR VC4 and claim to have some form of positive response from GHL regarding their use. You'll need to use the forum search to find the posts for confirmation. I'd link to them for you but I'm writing this on my mobile, it's late and my GH is proving to be highly effective :ko:

I personally have only contacted GHL to check if the Mu Plug...

http://www.themu.co.uk/products/worldwide-traveller

... would void the warrenty if used to charge the GH. The Mu Plug is not UL listed but is NEMKO listed. I personally have no idea what all that means so I forwarded an email from 'Mu Systems' to 'GHL' asking straight up if I could use it to charge the hopper.

Caroline from GHL responded stating it was fine to use regarding the warranty but that they can't guarantee it will offer normal operation. I read that to mean they won't penalise me by voiding the warranty for using it but they haven't tested it themselves and can't guarantee performance. Good enough for me.

I haven't yet asked about the XTAR VC2.

I have been using the XTAR VC4. I run it off of a powered USB hub. Works great. I only use the GH charger in the car.

nonbeliever,
Reactions: Snappo

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
YES! I fixed my Hopper this morning after not using it for a few weeks by banging it on my table. Now I just need to wait a couple more months so I have batteries that work.

The reason I started banging it is because it was known as my darkest extracting Hopper (Gray). I just got a lackluster hit from Purple after changing through 3 batteries to see if I can get this yellow load brown. After 5 draws on gray no dice. I knew the body was the issue with Gray and knew Hopper Labs suggests banging the product to fix things. After 7 bangs I starting ticking again, I think having the unit straight up and banging vertically against the mouthpiece did it.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Nice, i ordered 3 as well ;)

@Mangos: if you don't mind me asking: how do you going to charge your batteries? Do you use an external device? If so, which one?

Trying to figuring out which model to order ;)
Hi TT,. There's been lots of discussion in this thread about external Chargers, most recently starting at post 7426. You may want to back up a few pages to this post to see others comment (with links to chargers).

Because I haven't received my gh yet, I haven't purchased an external charger yet, so I'm interested in this too.

Mangos

Nice, i ordered 3 as well ;)

@Mangos: if you don't mind me asking: how do you going to charge your batteries? Do you use an external device? If so, which one?

Trying to figuring out which model to order ;)
Going to charge my batteries externally whenever possible.

This is the charger I got for my Arizer Air which I now use for the hopper: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-D2...r=8-1-spell&keywords=Nitecore+Digi+Charger+D2

If I was you though, I would get the D4 so you can charge all your batteries if you need to. Plus only a few quid more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-Di...1072&sr=8-1&keywords=Nitecore+Digi+Charger+D4

This is what Vapefiend said in an email I sent to them regarding the charger:

Hi Mangos, thank you for your email.

We use the same Nitecore chargers for our Grasshopper batteries, they work fine.

I'm fairly sure the batteries charge faster in the unit via USB, but I'm afraid I can't be certain.

All the best,

Adam

osolx26

Do u guys hear a weak tickng noise when the hopper heats up?
Perfectly normal. That's just the heater doing it's thing. You'll probably also hear it speed up as you inhale, still normal.

Also, just an update on my hopper.

So I had one for about 5 months when the body gave out. I had a really annoying experience with customer service and got a hopper that originally seemed to be defective because it wasn't heating up quickly and it seemed like all of the temps were on the low side. Well...all the problems literally just went away on their own. I can't explain it, but all of a sudden it's working perfectly. Idk. I'm done trying to figure this thing out. It gets me stoned? Good.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Perfectly normal. That's just the heater doing it's thing. You'll probably also hear it speed up as you inhale, still normal.

Also, just an update on my hopper.

So I had one for about 5 months when the body gave out. I had a really annoying experience with customer service and got a hopper that originally seemed to be defective because it wasn't heating up quickly and it seemed like all of the temps were on the low side. Well...all the problems literally just went away on their own. I can't explain it, but all of a sudden it's working perfectly. Idk. I'm done trying to figure this thing out. It gets me stoned? Good.

Did you bang it on the table like @paytonpenn? My mother was wrong about that troubleshooting technique it appears.

Vaperist

i see people talking about external chargers a lot. in my opinion the best are X-tar models. why? because you can see voltage (V) and capacity (mAh) for each battery in very precise numbers on that fancy LCD screen. so you can see when your batteries are fading out to order new ones in time. also it have an auto shut off for each separate battery when they are full. and have nice function to revive battery when it is dead because of long storage without a charge. no need to play around with paper clips as guys suggested few pages before.

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I've been using the D4 charger and it works as it should. I have charged four at a time, but usually I just charge three on it while I charge one in the hopper itself. I've also used mine while charging, one time, in the car just to see if it would work. It works!

@Mangos Whn I first got mine I thought it wasn't working correctly either. I just had to get used to it, or maybe they have to be broken in?

Top Bottom