Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
New batteries (5 for me, 2 for a friend) arrived today. Charging them now. I have a Nitecore D4 and I2. One of the first 4 was fully charged compared to the others in the D4; I’ll charge the 5th in a second wave with a couple of my old batts, perhaps in the I2 to see the voltage and time. Honestly, the voltage has always been 4.2 in the I2 and never noticed anything different with any Hopper battery, just the time to charge varies by remaining capacity.

I harp on this a bit as I’ve had a few bad batteries in the past and hope it’s not more of the same with the new inventory. We’ll see soon - I’m off this week from work and doing a staycation so the recently returned from RMA Ti and the new batteries will get lots of time this week too. :leaf::peace:

MonkeyTime

Early days of this thread it seemed the lot of us were divided into 3 groups, those who adored it, those who wanted to, but couldn't seem to like it yet because of issues, and those that hated it. This died down as many, myself included, just sort of shelved their stuff and waited for better days. That and the same song got old......:horse:

If my new SS is a what this is going to be like moving forward, I think we've arrived! I rode her really hard this weekend and she put up with it all just fine. I will say, when I first pulled her out, I tried using an older battery while I charged and tested the new (I've also found great inconsistencies in their batteries in the past) and got nothing? Threw that same battery in my Ti and it worked fine. Grabbed another and got the same result, both ways. The third and most since have worked fine, I've yet to determine what the difference is. At first I thought it was the battery jacket on the (-) end interfering with the connection, but I haven't confirmed. I have noticed that when trying those three batteries, when screwing down the back end, I never feel a resistance. I'm also wondering if they are just slightly shorter.

The only complaint I have is that the led is sorta dim and only able to be seen from a hole or two, and almost not at all if there's sunlight.

Really loving this thing. I have a bit of an issue with the proprietary batteries and their price. For that price, I shouldn't have to worry about them not all being decent out of the box. But if the new units are reliable, it might be a fair trade off.

@Hopper Labs , I have a question for you. I love my new SS and would love if the SS I'm about to RMA came back working the same way. In fact, I would love if my decently working Ti also worked like this new one. Would you consider working up a price for GH upgrades? I send in my working and RMA unit and they get fitted with the newest heater and such for the equivalent of a new unit for a predetermined price? This request may be a bit premature, but if your enthusiasm about new reliability is to believed, then I for one would be willing to pay for the upgrades. If it could be done and in a cost effective range, it may be a new route of cast flow which is appreciated in any company!

virtualpurple

Early days of this thread it seemed the lot of us were divided into 3 groups, those who adored it, those who wanted to, but couldn't seem to like it yet because of issues, and those that hated it. This died down as many, myself included, just sort of shelved their stuff and waited for better days. That and the same song got old......:horse:

If my new SS is a what this is going to be like moving forward, I think we've arrived! I rode her really hard this weekend and she put up with it all just fine. I will say, when I first pulled her out, I tried using an older battery while I charged and tested the new (I've also found great inconsistencies in their batteries in the past) and got nothing? Threw that same battery in my Ti and it worked fine. Grabbed another and got the same result, both ways. The third and most since have worked fine, I've yet to determine what the difference is. At first I thought it was the battery jacket on the (-) end interfering with the connection, but I haven't confirmed. I have noticed that when trying those three batteries, when screwing down the back end, I never feel a resistance. I'm also wondering if they are just slightly shorter.

The only complaint I have is that the led is sorta dim and only able to be seen from a hole or two, and almost not at all if there's sunlight.

Really loving this thing. I have a bit of an issue with the proprietary batteries and their price. For that price, I shouldn't have to worry about them not all being decent out of the box. But if the new units are reliable, it might be a fair trade off.

@Hopper Labs , I have a question for you. I love my new SS and would love if the SS I'm about to RMA came back working the same way. In fact, I would love if my decently working Ti also worked like this new one. Would you consider working up a price for GH upgrades? I send in my working and RMA unit and they get fitted with the newest heater and such for the equivalent of a new unit for a predetermined price? This request may be a bit premature, but if your enthusiasm about new reliability is to believed, then I for one would be willing to pay for the upgrades. If it could be done and in a cost effective range, it may be a new route of cast flow which is appreciated in any company!

I like this idea

Vaporific

Would you consider working up a price for GH upgrades? I send in my working and RMA unit and they get fitted with the newest heater and such for the equivalent of a new unit for a predetermined price?
Isn’t this comparable to purchasing a replacement body? I refused to do it - and waited a year for my one and only Hopper to be fixed. Seems to work a lot better so far too since it’s back...:peace:

MonkeyTime

Isn’t this comparable to purchasing a replacement body? I refused to do it - and waited a year for my one and only Hopper to be fixed. Seems to work a lot better so far too since it’s back...:peace:

Not if there's been upgrades or enhancements to the back end. Rather than waiting for it to die piece by piece, can I get her swapped out for new innerds kinda thing! I'm not found of the stand alone body thing myself, I see no reason.

MonkeyTime,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Transatlantic Carrier Pigeon Tracking says my grasshopper is just a couple of days away, barring any hawk activity over Ireland. Are there any pro tips or cleaning techniques to perform before using a factory fresh hopper for the first time*? I mean, besides a deep soak in iso & PBW of course. :haw: I'm getting so stoked about this as more people with new and newly returned hoppers are reporting in, especially those folks with previous experience. :peace:

@Vaporific I'd just test each of the new ones really well this week while your off. Now you might not want to hear this, you'll probably have to vape a fair bit more than usual to test all five batteries thoroughly but it's gotta be done. :science:
If the battery is faulty within the first 14 days after you receive it we will replace it for free. Beyond that, the battery is not covered.

Vaporific

Transatlantic Carrier Pigeon Tracking says my grasshopper is just a couple of days away, barring any hawk activity over Ireland. Are there any pro tips or cleaning techniques to perform before using a factory fresh hopper for the first time*? I mean, besides a deep soak in iso & PBW of course. :haw: I'm getting so stoked about this as more people with new and newly returned hoppers are reporting in, especially those folks with previous experience. :peace:

@Vaporific I'd just test each of the new ones really well this week while your off. Now you might not want to hear this, you'll probably have to vape a fair bit more than usual to test all five batteries thoroughly but it's gotta be done. :science:
i swab the chamber with light ISO and ISO everything else. Then Blu Tac for all threads. I’ve heard PBW works great but never used it.

It’ll be interesting if I can get through all the new batts this week and will try. I’ll be busy but certainly using the Hopper all week, natively too without filtration because that’s my preferred method. And I use it on low temps too.

New battery #1 locked and loaded. Let the trial begin...:peace:

Mr. Me2

@pxl_jockey, I’ll add a couple suggestions, just in case...

A pair of fine point tweezers isn’t a bad idea and are inexpensive. Sometimes the screen in the mouthpiece comes loose and will impact your ability to screw the mouthpiece on the body. The tweezers are the tool to tighten it.

ISO, of course. The mouthpiece will need the occasional soak and comes up like new. (Re-read your post and see you’re on top of this one)

That’s it for now! :popcorn:

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer

We might offer something like this more generally in the future but if you contact us directly about getting a part upgraded we will give you price and do it.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
I decided to see what's going on in the GH thread two days ago, and I must admit that @Hopper Labs presence has made this thread hopeful and insightful once again! Muchas gracias for that! Fingers crossed, you're here to contribute to this thread and gain people's trust once again.. :peace::clap:

Now, on the important staff.. I've got my Ti purple unit along with two replacement bodies, that unfortunately none worked out, seating in my drawer ready to be shipped out (this was HL latest reply regarding the whole process). Although I've been really reluctant on sending everything in, now I'm really thinking seriously about doing so. So let's hope that HL have decided to actively take part in this community which indeed is a good-faith move of doing so and will definitely make more people think twice on either sending their units in or getting new ones..

Quick question plz @Hopper Labs, sending a unit in that probably needs a replacement body does that implies that only refurbished parts will be used and you can only purchase the new part if you'd want a new one?

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I got notification that my hopper landed early this morning! I just gotta get presentable and go pick it up. Along with a Jyarz order and an Instagram auction steal! :rockon: gonna be a bright, bright sunshiney day! :nod: Wooo-hoooo!!!

Oh @Mr. Me2 forgot to say, I have a pair of pointy tweezers in my shave kit so I'm set in that department. I wouldn't think I'd need dedicated hopper tweezers, I'll sterilise them of course! :uhoh: Got Blu Tack on hand, anything else?

alright alright alright copperheads, I'll catch y'all on the flip side when batteries have been charged and I am lit! :D Is it recommended to charge them extra long on the initial charge? Or just till the charger's display says I'm good?

:peace:

slozukimc

I got notification that my hopper landed early this morning! I just gotta get presentable and go pick it up. Along with a Jyarz order and an Instagram auction steal! :rockon: gonna be a bright, bright sunshiney day! :nod: Wooo-hoooo!!!

Oh @Mr. Me2 forgot to say, I have a pair of pointy tweezers in my shave kit so I'm set in that department. I wouldn't think I'd need dedicated hopper tweezers, I'll sterilise them of course! :uhoh: Got Blu Tack on hand, anything else?

alright alright alright copperheads, I'll catch y'all on the flip side when batteries have been charged and I am lit! :D Is it recommended to charge them extra long on the initial charge? Or just till the charger's display says I'm good?

I would want to charge them as slow as possible to a full charge for the first time.

Mr. Me2

When your charger says you’re done, you’re done! And you won’t need dedicated tweezers; it will be a rare, if ever use for your hopper.

Happy hopping!!! We expect a full report!

Vaporific

New battery #1 last 3 full chambers running 2.5-2.7. On the second draw overall it went blinking blue. Meh. Battery #2 already in use :). Let’s see if it’s any better...:peace:

I would want to charge them as slow as possible to a full charge for the first time.
How would you do that? :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Quick question plz @Hopper Labs, sending a unit in that probably needs a replacement body does that implies that only refurbished parts will be used and you can only purchase the new part if you'd want a new one?

You can purchase a Grasshopper Spare Body which will be all new parts including the metal tube. 95% of the time if you send it in for service we will reuse the parts of your specific device and just replace the necessary internals.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
If these are a wierd proprietary battery how come they can be charged by Xtar or other chargers?
It happens automagically! I think their batteries are weird & proprietary in the sense of size/dimensions but the internals aren’t really different from other li-ions. It seems the battery that came in the hopper was pretty much fully charged and one bowl in, I’m impressed with the effects to say the least. The others were in the 3/4 range.
I’m not gonna lie, I am rather surprised how :smug: one lil chamber left me. Attitude adjusted! Looking forward to more experimenting and reflecting on this tiny device, playing with the heat settings some more. But I’m quite happy, like really happy with its capabilities and truly pocketable size.

warren0728

ok i can't believe i'm actually thinking about getting one of these (although i'm gonna wait for a bit and see how the new units hold up) ...

my question is ss vs. titanium ... is the titanium worth it? is there really a performance difference between the two?

Baron23

It happens automagically! I think their batteries are weird & proprietary in the sense of size/dimensions but the internals aren’t really different from other li-ions. It seems the battery that came in the hopper was pretty much fully charged and one bowl in, I’m impressed with the effects to say the least. The others were in the 3/4 range.
I’m not gonna lie, I am rather surprised how :smug: one lil chamber left me. Attitude adjusted! Looking forward to more experimenting and reflecting on this tiny device, playing with the heat settings some more. But I’m quite happy, like really happy with its capabilities and truly pocketable size.
Yes, I just charged them at the auto-selected level of my Nitecore D4.

The batteries came in with slightly various charge levels but all of them were at least 2/3's charged.

I didn't see any reason to baby them in any special way.

is there really a performance difference between the two?

No, not a performance difference. A weight difference, but not performance.

Cheers

warren0728

No, not a performance difference. A weight difference, but not performance.

good to know ... that's what i thought but then i saw the below on grasshopper's site so i thought maybe i was missing something ...

The Titanium Grasshopper is everything that the Stainless Grasshopper is, and more. The unique thermal properties of titanium allow for even greater performance in a package that’s identical in size, but more durable and lighter.

Top Bottom