Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
All of it is subjective of course. I use my grasshopper with a water piece and with the PFE every once in awhile but for me the best experience is using the regular mouthpiece native. For me, that's the best flavor and experience.
I agree, the regular mouthpiece native seems to work best for me. I need to do more testing with the PFE but I don't think it will change my opinion. It probably does work better with water, but I'm vaping dry most of the time, and I like the regular mouthpiece for that because it doesn't feel as hot on my lips.

I'm glad I got the PFE and I'm sure I'll be using it plenty, but my main usage will be with the pen-style mouthpiece.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Grasshopper is a great walk on the beach vaporizer. Nobody noticed a thing. They probably thought it was an ecig. I didn't get super close to people but probably 20 feet away. Using cannabis in public is a misdeamenor here n WA state. It was somewhat windy outside too.

I took my showerhead tube WT from VB that was made for the Pinnacle Pro. I'm glad I bought a few when they were $50 on sale. Two are still in the boxes. I used the water tool inside the RV. I didn't want any added attention. I've never had a combustion problem yet. I will keep my fingers crossed. I use a fairly lower temp.

Last edited:

Bdubbdiblets

It's prob been mentioned already but the @DDave milaana cooling wand/mod is really nice with the PFE. Actual cool hopper vapor and it fits perfectly!

Just wish the hopper would work more consistently. I have 2. When it does it is such a nice easy face melter. Not much to compare too.

But when it doesn't...well...my list of vapes is growing with every warranty...

:rockon:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Will go to Verdampftnochmal the next days and talk with them about this issue.

Last time they were VERY pissed bc they didn't get any stuff from GHL since months.

Avoiding the hazzle with costs of RMA was also for me the main reason that I bought the hopper in Germany. To legal situation. Generally you have 2y of Gewährleistung. That means every technical problem with your device has to be solved by the retailer. And he still has this obligation when he don't sell devices by his supplier anymore. But one point of Gewährleistung is that there are only the first 6 months where he MUST change or repair your device. After these 6 months now YOU have to proof that reasons for the issue were already existing when you've bought the device. Can be difficult. But if it's a common issue you always can show to all the reports all over the forums regarding the hopper to proof that the reason for malfunction is caused by bad design or proceeding by GHL. Otherweise there would not be so much reports of this known issue.
When I'll be at Verdampftnochmal I will discuss this legal prob with the guys of VDNM and report results here.

Carlos8400

Will go to Verdampftnochmal the next days and talk with them about this issue.

Last time they were VERY pissed bc they didn't get any stuff from GHL since months.

Avoiding the hazzle with costs of RMA was also for me the main reason that I bought the hopper in Germany. To legal situation. Generally you have 2y of Gewährleistung. That means every technical problem with your device has to be solved by the retailer. And he still has this obligation when he don't sell devices by his supplier anymore. But one point of Gewährleistung is that there are only the first 6 months where he MUST change or repair your device. After these 6 months now YOU have to proof that reasons for the issue were already existing when you've bought the device. Can be difficult. But if it's a common issue you always can show to all the reports all over the forums regarding the hopper to proof that the reason for malfunction is caused by bad design or proceeding by GHL. Otherweise there would not be so much reports of this known issue.
When I'll be at Verdampftnochmal I will discuss this legal prob with the guys of VDNM and report results here.

What i heard was that a lot of EU shops were stuck in a weird situation, where HL was refusing to send them working Hoppers unless they ordered and paid for more new ones.
Imagine, as a store you order 100 hoppers, within a very short time a high number of them fail.
You then have to send some of your stock as replacement. So even though you originally had 100 hoppers, you only sold 60, but you have 40 broken ones back on your shelves (random numbers).
This is when HL apparently goes "sure we'll fix them, just order 100 more new ones and we'll fix your old broken ones and send them along..."
The shops of course, don't want to order more until HL can repair the non working hoppers they have, HL goes, "sorry, but you need to order more for us to help you", everything grinds to a halt.

Now i can't confirm that this is true, but i would not be surprised if HL did that, because they make no money from repairs, and they need to keep selling new hoppers to get money in.
It sounds like a very dodgy way of dealing with a cashflow problem...

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Now i can't confirm that this is true, but i would not be surprised if HL did that, because they make no money from repairs, and they need to keep selling new hoppers to get money in.
It sounds like a very dodgy way of dealing with a cashflow problem...

This exactly the problem with this thread. Folks make a huge claim that they have no way of knowing it's true. At least you admit to speculation but it's not helpful for folks looking for real information.

Folks may not like what I post but everything I say is true as I get my info directly from hopper labs, conveniently down the street from my house.

What I can tell you is the company is doing just fine and Matt, Trevor and Caroline are totally nice at a tiny startup company in a startup company town (Boulder).

There is also an awesome food truck park at the same place as Hopper Labs if you're ever in Boulder and in need of a bite and a beer!

slcbdco,

Carlos8400

This exactly the problem with this thread. Folks make a huge claim that they have no way of knowing it's true. At least you admit to speculation but it's not helpful for folks looking for real information.

Folks may not like what I post but everything I say is true as I get my info directly from hopper labs, conveniently down the street from my house.

What I can tell you is the company is doing just fine and Matt, Trevor and Caroline are totally nice at a tiny startup company in a startup company town (Boulder).

There is also an awesome food truck park at the same place as Hopper Labs if you're ever in Boulder and in need of a bite and a beer!

I am not speculating, this is what i have heard directly from a seller.

I added the part you quoted because it is his word against HL's word. And although i don't see why he would make this up, i wasn't there when they had the conversation, and have no way of actually knowing who is right.
Just like you only hear HL's side of the story...

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I am not speculating, this is what i have heard directly from a seller.

I added the part you quoted because it is his word against HL's word. And although i don't see why he would make this up, i wasn't there when they had the conversation, and have no way of actually knowing who is right.
Just like you only hear HL's side of the story...

I haven't talked to grasshopper about this so they don't have a "side" of the story. What i'm saying is that what happens on this thread far too much for the benefit of people trying to get good information is that some source that is not grasshopper says "X" then someone posts it on here like it's a gospel followed by a page of wild speculation only to find out it wasn't true or at best, the orginal idea is out of context.

I'm not highliting your post because I have information that contradicts it. in fact I don't have information about that one way or the other. I use it as an example of the problem, unsubstantiated rumor obscuring facts.

If a person thinks grasshopper is a bad company or a bad product, they shouldn't buy one. Using unsubstantied gossip (not you specifically but this thread in general) does not help a person make that conclusion on their own.

And for what it's worth, I don't say this to defend grasshopper, they don't need my help, as evidenced by the fact that they literally couldn't build enough to meet demand for more than 2 year. I say this for the benefit of the people who do come one here looking for real information. Someone will occasionally post about their frustration with this thread about the balance of info to gossip.

I suppose in sympathizing, I'm adding to their pain as I'm sure this post will prompt the usual page and half of fanboy vs. hater tennis match ... sigh, apologies for not improving the silence.

Carlos8400

I haven't talked to grasshopper about this so they don't have a "side" of the story. What i'm saying is that what happens on this thread far too much for the benefit of people trying to get good information is that some source that is not grasshopper says "X" then someone posts it on here like it's a gospel followed by a page of wild speculation only to find out it wasn't true or at best, the orginal idea is out of context.

I'm not highliting your post because I have information that contradicts it. in fact I don't have information about that one way or the other. I use it as an example of the problem, unsubstantiated rumor obscuring facts.

If a person thinks grasshopper is a bad company or a bad product, they shouldn't buy one. Using unsubstantied gossip (not you specifically but this thread in general) does not help a person make that conclusion on their own.

And for what it's worth, I don't say this to defend grasshopper, they don't need my help, as evidenced by the fact that they literally couldn't build enough to meet demand for more than 2 year. I say this for the benefit of the people who do come one here looking for real information. Someone will occasionally post about their frustration with this thread about the balance of info to gossip.

I suppose in sympathizing, I'm adding to their pain as I'm sure this post will prompt the usual page and half of fanboy vs. hater tennis match ... sigh, apologies for not improving the silence.

For what it's worth, i have kept that information to myself for a couple months, because i didn't think it would add anything good to this thread.
It's just now, after reading Hogni's post, and seeing that most EU sellers have been out of stock for months, that i thought this information could be useful. Like i said in my original post, this could be true, it could be wrong, trust who you chose to trust.

Personally i don't think HL have shown they can be trusted in any way.

duff

Well worn
No hate from me.
It's all part of the Hopper ride.

Every thread has speculation.

HL could do a better job of being transparent which would mitigate the speculation but they don't seem to want to for whatever reason.

Why is the leather sleeve and storage container still visible on their site? It would literally take less than a minute to unpublish those items on the website. These type of actions come across as a big FU to each customer that waited for over a year as well as new customers.

I think everyone who posts on this thread would like to see them succeed but many feel that HL has given them the runaround for a long time.

It's a great product that fits a niche.
It's a bit of a novelty vape like the asthma and cup vapes. But when working as designed can really knock your socks off.

almost there

This is the first time ever I brought my hopper out with me. I wanted to at least remind myself why I bought it in the first place and I figured it's going in for RMA so if it craps out on me it's not a big deal. Took it with me for a picnic at the spot where I got married almost 9 years ago. Despite all the issues I've experienced it's moments like this that I'm happy I have it.

I got married in front of this tree, here's my hopper in the best leather case $3.01 will buy u:D

here's my little goody spread:brow:

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

There's a lot of speculation in this thread because even when HL themselves speak up, the information turns out to be less than accurate most often.

They're a tough company to defend or deal with for those of us that don't live down the street from them.

The SS case that's NEVER been available, but is still available for purchase is a great example of their feelings about their customers. If they cared are all, the least they could do is list it as a "future" item.....

biohacker

Yes, conveniently. And just because you or HL says it doesn't mean it's true either.

If a person thinks grasshopper is a bad company or a bad product, they shouldn't buy one

Kinda funny how they have to experience buying one to realize that eh?

And for what it's worth, I don't say this to defend grasshopper,

No, ofcourse not!

I suppose in sympathizing, I'm adding to their pain as I'm sure this post will prompt the usual page and half of fanboy vs. hater tennis match

Why do you always have to come down to that? Why can't you grow up and realize that it's not about fans or haters, and in fact regular members that tell it like it is from both sides?

HL could do a better job of being transparent which would mitigate the speculation but they don't seem to want to for whatever reason.

Like maybe because they are also in denial and downplaying issues and too busy focussing on advertising PFE's and deflecting?

Why is the leather sleeve and storage container still visible on their site? It would literally take less than a minute to unpublish those items on the website. These type of actions come across as a big FU to each customer that waited for over a year as well as new customers.

The SS case that's NEVER been available, but is still available for purchase is a great example of their feelings about their customers. If they cared are all, the least they could do is list it as a "future" item.....

Yes, sounds like VapeXhale from about a decade ago. Hmmmmmm, STILL out of stock ten fucking years later!

https://www.vapexhale.com/collections/herbal-blends

PapaMonkey must still be MIA. What incredible ethics.

marduk

daydreamer
They're a tough company to defend or deal with for those of us that don't live down the street from them.

I agree they can be tough to defend, but in the interest of accuracy, the SS case and leather case have not been availabe for purchase for quite some time. They are listed on the site, but you can't put them in your cart and pay.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I should be able to share my impressions of native PFE use fairly soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Hopper Labs says the PFE is best for portable use, best with water, and best for pure performance. That begs the question, why is it not the default front end, with an option for the pen-style front end if extreme stealth is needed?
I only use the pfe with water ... dislike it dry. Too open and harsh

MonkeyTime

I agree they can be tough to defend, but in the interest of accuracy, the SS case and leather case have not been availabe for purchase for quite some time. They are listed on the site, but you can't put them in your cart and pay.
I wasn't aware they changed that? It wasn't that long ago I was able to put the SS case in my cart and proceed to checkout. Didn't complete the order, but it never have me any indication I couldn't order them or that they weren't available.

In a some what happier note, I had two great sessions with mine this weekend. During them I noticed what I thought was a curled edge on the back of the body. Turns out it was the back end shifting back and forth.

With the back end screwed on tightly, I get enough of a shift from side to side to feel it. The back end has been getting crazy hot again, even the button. Not a good session since. But I'll keep trying to use it in hopes of it completely falling apart like some of the earlier ones. They'll have to fix that!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Got my Ti USED in September ... use it often (not necessarily daily) and it's running better than the day I got her.

I use temp 5 very sparingly ... mostly step between 3 - 4.3 or so through a sesh. I don't let blowback puff vapor back into the GH. I clear after I finish a bowl. I perform regular maintenance on the backend with putty when needed. I don't do insanely long draws (although I've let my friends power through on temp 5 for a minute long hit to test it she'd survive...always does).

Hot backend and flickering lights but works flawlessly. 8 months strong + the time the other owner had it.

Still satisfied ... but it's not my DD.

MoltenTiger

My hoppers are still 'unit in testing' at HL but gees I could have used them today!
Not much longer now..

Duff said it well.

Early on with a 30% failure rate, I can imagine how that played out for international retail backers.
Now with a ~5% failure rate, that's still high.
Obviously it has been very difficult to get the Grasshopper realised.
Little flash-back to when it was an assumed impossibility and a little reminder that no one else has done it better*
I get enough of a shift from side to side to feel it. The back end has been getting crazy hot again, even the button. Not a good session since. But I'll keep trying to use it in hopes of it completely falling apart like some of the earlier ones. They'll have to fix that!
I've noticed this, the bronze hopper I sent back actually had a wobbly SS ring, an old replaced plain Ti back-end also had a loose SS section but not as bad.
Apparently the back-ends have changed a bit recently, I'm interested to see the differences in person.
The main thing is the different switch tech, where it no longer needs to be clicked twice to power up from an auto time-out. This sounds to me like a potentially more structurally sound solution beyond a simple electronics upgrade.
I believe the back-end's are/used to be adhered together, and it's likely that heat could damage this causing loose connections (poor performance, high resistance/heat). Pretty easy to fix really, but the outlay of Hopper Labs has been unorthodox enough that simple problems like that take ages to resolve.

Mostly R&D is done before the product launches, so relatively I think Hopper Labs have done an awesome job, and I can't wait to get their product back, my beloved hoppers, so I can smash em til next RMA. It's still heaps of fun at the end of the day

*its basically, and now PFTotally, an ultraportable VonG

abcd5432

I just think people are taking both extremes rather than realizing this for what it is.
I recommend the hopper a lot but I'm upfront with the pitfalls.
Truth is hopper is a new company that is experiencing all of the hurdles a new company will face.
I personally am not into the reliability of the product currently but have followed the project because I believe this is a must have vaporizer in concept. It's only going to get better it seems. If someone else could match what hopper has other than reliability I'd be impressed but as is, I'd rather just wait for the reliable units since I have a vaporizer.

Every vaporizer has trade offs and there is no perfect company or product. Hopper labs will of course have criticism and rightly so. Doesn't mean they aren't working to the best of the human ability possible to deliver a great product

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
About that steel case, it should be on its way any day now according to Matt from Hopper Labs:
hoppermatt said:
The stainless case has entered the production-sampling phase, and is one of our primary focuses as of now. If it's any consolation, it will cost more in materials than you paid for it.

That was from the AMA on reddit last month:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/dgb1rij/

I wonder how much it is going to cost when it is released. Does anyone know what the original price was?

Edit: I just checked the store and its listed at $35, I think that's the original price.

Top Bottom