Discontinued The Grasshopper

almost there

About that steel case, it should be on its way any day now according to Matt from Hopper Labs:

That was from the AMA on reddit last month:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/dgb1rij/

I wonder how much it is going to cost when it is released. Does anyone know what the original price was?

Edit: I just checked the store and its listed at $35, I think that's the original price.
$35 if I remember correctly

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I just think people are taking both extremes rather than realizing this for what it is.
I recommend the hopper a lot but I'm upfront with the pitfalls.
Truth is hopper is a new company that is experiencing all of the hurdles a new company will face.
I personally am not into the reliability of the product currently but have followed the project because I believe this is a must have vaporizer in concept. It's only going to get better it seems. If someone else could match what hopper has other than reliability I'd be impressed but as is, I'd rather just wait for the reliable units since I have a vaporizer.

Every vaporizer has trade offs and there is no perfect company or product. Hopper labs will of course have criticism and rightly so. Doesn't mean they aren't working to the best of the human ability possible to deliver a great product

The thing is, reliability is not really an option for medical cannabis patients. If this was pro audio or something where there was nothing to lose, I'd absolutely agree with you; but the truth is an unreliable vaporizer is unacceptable for today's patients. In my experience most medical patients ( who need it the most) can rarely even afford enough medical cannabis for their condition, let alone a collection of expensive vaporizers. Us vapor hobbyists often lose sight of that on here as we tend to be in a different position and perspective than most.

The grasshopper is an incredible concept, no doubt about that. In my opinion it has not been completely realized just yet.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The thing is, reliability is not really an option for medical cannabis patients. If this was pro audio or something where there was nothing to lose, I'd absolutely agree with you; but the truth is an unreliable vaporizer is unacceptable for today's patients. In my experience most medical patients ( who need it the most) can rarely even afford enough medical cannabis for their condition, let alone a collection of expensive vaporizers. Us vapor hobbyists often lose sight of that on here as we tend to be in a different position and perspective than most.

The grasshopper is an incredible concept, no doubt about that. In my opinion it has not been completely realized just yet.
You make some good points, but I still think the Grasshopper is a good choice for medical patients. In fact, I primarily see it as a medical device.

I am a medical user myself. If I was a recreational user I probably would not have a Grasshopper, I certainly wouldn't have two. Owning two hoppers is my solution to the reliability issue that you mention.

Honestly, it's kind of a shitty solution, especially to medical patients on a tight budget. I would like to note that buying two hoppers is still cheaper than one Volcano and they are much more versatile.

I have chronic pain, it's pretty much 24/7 but there are random spikes of pain throughout the day. The stealth aspect of the Grasshopper allows me to medicate quickly and discreetly in places where I simply couldn't use anything else.

The power, speed, and on-demand aspect allow me to quickly get the exact dose I need. No more huffing on a conduction device for minutes at a time and hoping I've titrated the dose correctly. I generally take one hit at a time which takes maybe 20 seconds including heat-up time. If I feel the need I might take one more hit 10-15 minutes later.

biohacker

it's running better than the day I got her.

Interesting, in what way?

Hot backend and flickering lights but works flawlessly

That's not working flawlessly IMO.

Early on with a 30% failure rate, I can imagine how that played out for international retail backers.
Now with a ~5% failure rate, that's still high.

More BS from HL? They may have some swampland property you may be interested in as well. ;)

It's still heaps of fun at the end of the day

Says the hombre with his first RMA. You sound like @JCat in the honeymoon phase. After a few more of these, your fun will dwindle exponentially IMO.

biohacker,

JCat

Accessory Maker
You sound like @JCat in the honeymoon phase. After a few more of these, your fun will dwindle exponentially IMO.
I'm still having fun :lol: ... except with RMAs! Oh well. Still a great device and am still hoping for the best. My Ti Hopper that I got back from RMA on the 11th is still performing flawlessly; really hope it stays that way for a while. Putting 10-20 bowls through it a day I would say on average. It's all I've used since I got it back; occasionally dry when required but usually through my DHGate Mobius Matrix Sidecar 14mm.

Modnote: Link to removed to comply with our policy on counterfeit products.

Last edited by a moderator:

biohacker

I'm still having fun :lol: ... except with RMAs! Oh well. Still a great device and am still hoping for the best. My Ti Hopper that I got back from RMA on the 11th is still performing flawlessly; really hope it stays that way for a while. Putting 10-20 bowls through it a day I would say on average. It's all I've used since I got it back; occasionally dry when required but usually through my DHGate Mobius Matrix Sidecar 14mm.

So happy to hear! No flickering lights or hot backend?

How's your BBB claim going? And did you get anywhere with all your shipping BS?

MoltenTiger

About that steel case, it should be on its way any day now according to Matt from Hopper Labs:

That was from the AMA on reddit last month:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/dgb1rij/

I wonder how much it is going to cost when it is released. Does anyone know what the original price was?

Edit: I just checked the store and its listed at $35, I think that's the original price.
It was originally available on indiegogo for $25
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grasshopper-vaporizer#/

I read a great comment from some irate dude complaining about the SS case on Instagram, it roughly went.. something something you guys are kings of vaporware

But 25 bucks offered as investment is nothing to get irate about lol

Also of note from the indiegogo link
"The Grasshopper is purely for enjoyment. It is not a medical or health device, and does not claim to be so."
Definitely a good choice as long as a back-up is handy, as for everyone either way.

Says the hombre with his first RMA
Mate I've been on the hopper coaster since July '15!
329de978cc.png

I can handle an RMA or two, it's all swings and roundabouts

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You make some good points, but I still think the Grasshopper is a good choice for medical patients. In fact, I primarily see it as a medical device.

I am a medical user myself. If I was a recreational user I probably would not have a Grasshopper, I certainly wouldn't have two. Owning two hoppers is my solution to the reliability issue that you mention.

Honestly, it's kind of a shitty solution, especially to medical patients on a tight budget. I would like to note that buying two hoppers is still cheaper than one Volcano and they are much more versatile.

I have chronic pain, it's pretty much 24/7 but there are random spikes of pain throughout the day. The stealth aspect of the Grasshopper allows me to medicate quickly and discreetly in places where I simply couldn't use anything else.

The power, speed, and on-demand aspect allow me to quickly get the exact dose I need. No more huffing on a conduction device for minutes at a time and hoping I've titrated the dose correctly. I generally take one hit at a time which takes maybe 20 seconds including heat-up time. If I feel the need I might take one more hit 10-15 minutes later.

Some great points, and I always enjoy your posts.

I agree, dual hoppers is much more versatile than a Volcano. I'm so over bag vapor, though to be fair, the one volcano will be way more reliable than two hoppers. My volcano is from 2006 and took nearly a decade of being on for 18 hours a day before needing a repair (air pump) - obviously it's a very apples to oranges comparison, but a fair enough one to me none the less (IMO, I've owned both)

I can relate 100% to your comment about a fast, instant vaporizer instead of huffing on session vapes. That's why my volcano was dethroned in the first place, too long of a session. I can relate deeply to your needs of quick, discrete medication. I'm squishing rosin for my concentrate pen for the same reason. It's the best solution I've found so far for ultra discrete rapid relief.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Truth is hopper is a new company that is experiencing all of the hurdles a new company will face.
I personally am not into the reliability of the product currently but have followed the project because I believe this is a must have vaporizer in concept. It's only going to get better it seems. If someone else could match what hopper has other than reliability I'd be impressed but as is, I'd rather just wait for the reliable units since I have a vaporizer.

Every vaporizer has trade offs and there is no perfect company or product. Hopper labs will of course have criticism and rightly so. Doesn't mean they aren't working to the best of the human ability possible to deliver a great product

Here Here. It is also the case that much more established companies have reliability issues on both new and well established units, see the Crafty thread, See the Davinci IQ thread (my own IQ will be on its way for its second RMA, although the vapor gods saw fit to resurrect my Firefly2 at the cost of my IQ ...FINE turns out I did miss the other bug!)

What I particularly appreciate about Grasshopper as a company is that unlike many vape companies that are investor backed, investor controlled, making products on the absolute cheap and the majority of the price being the marketing campaign, the Grasshopper is a small company that is growing, slowly and organically off of revenue. Not to mention I've seen the units built and they are assembled by real people right in my town, so granted I have a unique perspective. The point being there business model, one that is free from external, non-product and solely revenue based decisions of bankers or investors is a business model that should be supported. It just so happens I happen to also love the product, but I think its important to remember that many vape companies are investment funds that happen to make vaporizers.

Grasshopper is an engineering company that happens to make vapes. And that is literally what they say about themselves.

I think you make a very important point about the cost of cannabis as therapy. In my day job, I am the Director of Government Affairs for Terrapin Care Station (read chief lobbyist, not to be confused with chiefing lobbyist, that was my job title pre-grasshopper but now I mostly vape :rockon:).

I am constantly making this point whether its on passing the bill this year to finally add PTSD to Colorado's patient registry or fighting against the miscellaneous assaults on patients rights we still see here in Colorado every session, the number one point I make to lawmakers is that cannabis therapy is an out of pocket costs for patients. Health insurance doesn't cover it whether its the dispensary bill or the cost of growing ones own medicine.

Not only that, what non-medical consumers even may not realize is that cannabis is good medicine but its not strong medicine, by which I mean the quantities need for managing acute pain or to be curative (tumor reducing as one of untold examples) requires VERY LARGE amounts.

The cost of cannabis therapy, particularly for those using it for chronic or acute conditions is the biggest reason that as legalization moves forward, we have to keep tight reigns on over regulation to ensure commercial product isn't too expensive or cost-prohibitive as compared to pharmaceutical alternatives and the home cultivation is allowed, its cannabis, not plutonium.

We did pass a bill this year that finally allows people to seal misdemeanor criminal records for cannabis offenses that are now legal. We're way behind California on the social justice aspects but it turns out the Grasshopper is great for bill signings ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUP3olPDSGL/?taken-by=slc_co&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUP4Mi5D5eE/?taken-by=slc_co&hl=en

Patients I know really enjoy the grasshopper particularly for the speed at which its ready to go

MoltenTiger

I'm still having fun :lol: ... except with RMAs! Oh well. Still a great device and am still hoping for the best. My Ti Hopper that I got back from RMA on the 11th is still performing flawlessly; really hope it stays that way for a while. Putting 10-20 bowls through it a day I would say on average. It's all I've used since I got it back; occasionally dry when required but usually through my DHGate Mobius Matrix Sidecar 14mm. (http://www.dhgate.com/product/mobius-glass-19cm-tall-mobius-matrix-sidecar/390413782.html)
You got any pics of the glass with the hopper/PFE? :cool:
Always wished I bought that sidecar, the one I opted for sucks. It's janky, 18mm and reducers don't fit it, so it's useless-ish with the hopper.

its cannabis, not plutonium
What a great caption. I wish my countries leaders cottoned on to that fact the wankers

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@invertedisdead: I agree completely, you make a lot of good points.

I can relate deeply to your needs of quick, discrete medication. I'm squishing rosin for my concentrate pen for the same reason. It's the best solution I've found so far for ultra discrete rapid relief.

I am mostly abstaining from using flowers currently due to outside circumstances, so I haven't been able to use the Grasshopper much. I actually just ordered a concentrate pen from puffitup.com and I think it will indeed be a great solution for my needs.

AJS

Calm Consistency
That's not working flawlessly IMO.
Ha saw this coming. Technicality 1, ajs 0.

Would shut off during hits very often when it arrived and backend was hot more often. Gave her a backend clean and got GHB2 batts and the cleaning fixed the random shutoff completely (6 months straight without the issue) and helped with the backend. GHB2 batteries just better in general with the more seshes per my used ghb1 batts.

freshly baked

Just curious because I'm 10 pages behind or so but has anyone else been told they installed some updated software so when the dial is on 3, you have to take a primer draw and the heat increases with each draw there after?
Thanks

biohacker

A properly working GH, ahhhh the memories:

This GH came pretty much DOA, but I was able to get one half decent hit out of it:

Please, please, please let my hopper be able to do that when it comes back. It's boxed and ready to go:bowdown:

Oh I know the feeling!

I hear about all these working GH's for such and such time, but it's sad to have such little evidence by means of a 1/2 decent 1/2 minute video. When in fact they could just be 1/2 performing.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Just curious because I'm 10 pages behind or so but has anyone else been told they installed some updated software so when the dial is on 3, you have to take a primer draw and the heat increases with each draw there after?
Thanks

The software hasn't changed to do anything like that. Its a convection vaporizer so the wetter the material or the lower the temperature the more a "primer" is needed (to dry the material to the point it will vape or heat the material to the temp the oils will vape).

It's not that higher temps don't require a "primer" its that at higher temperatures the process happens faster thus you can combine the prime into the first hit.

Of course its all subjective, I tend to take (for a grasshopper anyway) long slow draws so in effect combining the prime and hit. I also usually take a few rips per cycle, i.e. take a long first draw and usually click it off during it, then I usually take a few quick small rips with the residual heat.

almost there

A properly working GH, ahhhh the memories:

This GH came pretty much DOA, but I was able to get one half decent hit out of it:

Oh I know the feeling!

I hear about all these working GH's for such and such time, but it's sad to have such little evidence by means of a 1/2 decent 1/2 minute video. When in fact they could just be 1/2 performing.
Ohhh man, even your half decent hit is cloudier than the best hit I ever had x 10 and I exaggerate not! Damn, now I feel ripped off

biohacker

Ohhh man, even your half decent hit is cloudier than the best hit I ever had x 10 and I exaggerate not! Damn, now I feel ripped off

This is what i'm saying, soooo many GH owners out there THINK that their devices work properly, when in reality they really don't. So many underperform/underheat yet many vaporists are lower temp, so don't realize its potential.

I KNOW what a properly working GH should work like!

almost there

This is what i'm saying, soooo many GH owners out there THINK that their devices work properly, when in reality they really don't. So many underperform/underheat yet many vaporists are lower temp, so don't realize its potential.

I KNOW what a properly working GH should work like!
When I saw that hit in your video and saw the caption I honestly thought u were being sarcastic or something but I see that is not the case. That's really fucked up because mine came right out of the box with emphysema. I complained about it and sent it in and it came back a-ok As far as I knew. Even then it was opaque at best with my fc-188. Now I see I was one of the cases that received substandard service in addition to having received a substandard product. Well I sent it out a a few hours ago, let's hope HL does right by me finally, I'm not even looking for compensation I just want what everyone else has:cuss::cuss::rant:

Edit- I apologize for my profanity, in my 400 post I have not once swore, this just pisses me off that HL is constantly on Reddit going on and on about how cases like mine no longer exist

Last edited:
Top Bottom