Discontinued The Grasshopper

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
This was my experiences with RMA'ed GH's with new backends. I thought it was normal because i've seen it with @lazylathe brand new GH. It was just another frustration in the process, and I had enough at the time. Are you noticing any hot back ending going on? I hope this one doesn't require the GH voodoo dance, and lasts you somewhat. Neat that it gets hot enough, but 5 may be too much and causes over browning.

Ti units are $250. HEAT TREATED Ti units are $350.

okay, i've been off the forum all day and still in a minor depression with the Oilers loss.... where are these reports? :lol:

There was a comment a couple of pages back about the newer back ends using a different approach to the power button. It was just a forum post, hence why I'm curious if @JCat's device is different.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Is that actually happening?
So far I've only seen one post about it. It took some digging but I found it:

I hope this isn't a repost..., I just received my repaired Hopper today in the mail and noticed a few differences. First off, the button feels much more smooth when you click it. Also I notice after it times out it's no longer required to turn the unit off then back on again. You can simply let it timeout then click it once to bring it back on. Again sorry if its already been noted.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Just wondering if they sent you a classic mechanical version or are the reports of a more digital style back end button true?

There was a comment a couple of pages back about the newer back ends using a different approach to the power button. It was just a forum post, hence why I'm curious if @JCat's device is different.

The button is still mechanical and has not been redesigned. HL does update and improve components but the button is still mechanical and not electric.

JCat

Accessory Maker
The button is still mechanical and has not been redesigned. HL does update and improve components but the button is still mechanical and not electric.
:lol: ... was about to say the same. It definitely has a different feel than the original one I had on my Ti Hopper, but is still mechanical (at least that's how it seems ... unless it is a mechanical switch that is making contact with an electronic switch on the PCB)

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

So my first TI RMA will be back to me on Monday.

It was only a one week turn around from New York.

Kinda sucks that my TI PFE and 4 new batteries will be here tomorrow with no grasshopper until Monday

I kept getting the red and blue flashing lights.

But when i did the Hopper Dance to get it working. It would combust the material every time.

So IMO now you can compare the Grasshopper to a BMW.

They look nice on the outside but now both spontaneously combust. :rofl:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/bmw-mystery-fires-abc-news-investigation/story?id=47335778

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
:lol: ... was about to say the same. It definitely has a different feel than the original one I had on my Ti Hopper, but is still mechanical (at least that's how it seems ... unless it is a mechanical switch that is making contact with an electronic switch on the PCB)
That's good to hear. Can you test how the auto shutoff feature works? Do you have to click twice to turn it back on?

biohacker

okay I know what it is now, and I had GH's that had that revision before I sold mine... it was weird, because I would have to do a "double click" many times, and yes it was super smooth, but again a step back IMO. My best GH's had the hardest click and stiffest dials to turn. Maybe coincidence, but I don't think so. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs or something and "experimenting" with designs, allowing us to "test" them?

So IMO now you can compare the Grasshopper to a BMW.

Subaru > BMW anyday!

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
One of the easiest vapes I have regarding maintenance. Never taken ISO or even a brush to this guy ... just a tap and a twisted t shirt end rammed in there and she's good to go!

ol12erS.jpg

okay I know what it is now, and I had GH's that had that revision before I sold mine... it was weird, because I would have to do a "double click" many times, and yes it was super smooth, but again a step back IMO. My best GH's had the hardest click and stiffest dials to turn. Maybe coincidence, but I don't think so. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs or something and "experimenting" with designs, allowing us to "test" them?
The SS you helped me gift to my friend has a super stiff backend and NEVER gets hot. It's annoying to turn but who the fuck cares when your vape hits like a goddam train.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So far I've only seen one post about it. It took some digging but I found it:

Nice one, thanks for digging that up, I was too far gone to dig :whoa:

Thanks for clarification, I guess they want to keep that pen clicker feel.

Thanks @JCat, will be interesting to see how you get on with it over the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping they've worked on the back end design and resolved some of the stability issues.

The most recent backend version does not need to be clicked twice after an auto shutoff. One click will always turn it on.

Again thanks for clarifying. That is still a significant change. The whole mechanism would have been adapted to bring that improvement. As mentioned I'm excited to see how this new revision holds up. Not having to reset the clicker is a nice improvement.

ChooChooCharlie

Cheap but effective PFE knockoff:

gHGX3Chm.jpg

Like the PFE, opening the end changes your "mouth mechanics," resulting in the perception of a less restrictive draw. But unlike the PFE, your draws can last longer with no lip on hot metal contact. Cut a one inch segment of high temp silicone tubing. Wet with saliva, twist/shove it on. (hookah lip shields are too thin, low grade silicone)

kaisersosay415

Got a question folks. Is there a special technique to get big skids on the gh. Planning on using it native only and want to simulate something close to a hit from my stickybrick jr. Will the gh be a cloud producer if I hit it really hard or slow and steady?

kaisersosay415,

CroZure

I purchased the performance front end a day or so after it cam out. At first I was in love with it. But after about a month, the front end got clogged. I soaked it in alcohol and that helpedal but it didn't take long to get clogged again. To make matter worst, it doesn't appear that you can remove the screen. So I switched back to the normal mouth piece because you can remove the screen for a better cleaning. Anybody else experience this?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Got a question folks. Is there a special technique to get big skids on the gh. Planning on using it native only and want to simulate something close to a hit from my stickybrick jr. Will the gh be a cloud producer if I hit it really hard or slow and steady?
Hopper Labs recommends you hit it hard for best performance. I like to use a pulse technique when I'm going for the biggest hits native. I alternate a slow and fast draw every second or so.

WoodyWeedPecker

How's the reliability been lately with the GH? Mine's still running fine, had it since july '16. Only issue has been the short lifespan of the original batteries.
I have mine since august '16. Hot back-end and short lifespan for the original battery too. The new batteries solved the issue of short lifespan (my back-end still gets pretty hot, esp at the end of a battery). One time I had the cop lights a couples of times in a row (even after changing batteries/quick clean ups). Pulling hard while on, and blowing hard into the intake holes (as a last resort), solved the issue apparently. Since then my gh has been performing perfectly. Just hope it continues. When I use it outside, with the 5 seconds heat-up time and the dense vapor clouds, I still feel I'm part of a revolution lol. Love the looks and how it feels in the hand. While a bit hot due to the short vapor path, the vapor feels very smooth to me. You can have it as dense as you want on a fresh bowl. So much power in such a little package. Sometimes, I start at 3 for one flavor session, then progressively move to 5, but I usually start between 4 and 5 and step up the temp toward the end. I'm also very happy about their AMA answer to my question regarding how healthy the materials used in the hopper are.

Question: Could you tell us about the care taken at Hoppers Labs to use materials and components that are safe for our health and don't give up toxic fumes when heated?

• hoppermatt 18 points 27 days ago

All materials exposed to the air path are fully inert at the temperatures encountered in the Grasshopper, with a huge margin of safety. Where high-temperature non-metals were needed, we looked to materials used in the medical industry and designed for implantation in the body. We require material test reports from our manufacturers, and proof that they're buying virgin material from name-brand suppliers.

Trevor and I are both health nuts, and would never consider using a device (let alone manufacturing one) that had any negative health consequences.

I'm always a bit concerned about the materials they use in any vapes I own, maybe to the extreme sometimes (for example, I don't use butane for health concerns), and this reassured me.

biohacker

How's the reliability been lately with the GH?

Impeccable! Other than @JCat recent tribulations with RMA deva vu, there really hasn't been many reports of issues. Apparently the stone has turned, processes have improved, and defect rates are now below 5% IIRC.

Now, this isn't what you'll see on other forums, but that's been my perception here. Check out Reddit for more info, where HL can (although don't always) defend themselves.

If it makes you feel any better @JCat, the most recent post on Reddit has somebody receiving their GH back from RMA 3 days ago, and it's now combusting, which ruined his GH. At least he can file another RMA! :lol:

almost there

I purchased the performance front end a day or so after it cam out. At first I was in love with it. But after about a month, the front end got clogged. I soaked it in alcohol and that helpedal but it didn't take long to get clogged again. To make matter worst, it doesn't appear that you can remove the screen. So I switched back to the normal mouth piece because you can remove the screen for a better cleaning. Anybody else experience this?
Yes it does collect a lot more debris. Overall the PFE didn't really enhance all that much so I too stick with the OG mp. The PFE also doesn't fit into my leather case all that well either

JCat

Accessory Maker
PFEs have been fine for me and less troublesome to clean. I got 2 and swap them every morning. One comes out of the glass vial of 99% ISO and gets rinsed and dried and installed on GH and the one coming of the Hopper goes into the glass vial.

They always stay perfectly clean this way! (I was cleaning my standard mouthpieces this way as well but they were much more of a pain to clean)

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat it sounds like you don't have to bust a move anymore and your Ti is pumping out some serious cloudz?? And now your SS is headed to RMA yeah?
Ti is working great (despite not being superstitious at all I've been hesitant to say this :lol: )

It whitewalls through water no problem and 1 hit to finish a chamber. Easily get 3 chambers on a battery even if each bowl is a 2 hit x 10+ sec. No heat problems at all as well.

Haven't sent my SS back yet because I was waiting for my Ti to get back to me ... might bring it down South with me and ship it from there (probably save a few bucks and a couple days in transit)

klipsch

Purchased an XTAR MC2 charger (and 2 new batteries) for home use. Seems to be a worthwhile investment. Now I can keep the oem charger in my car.

Even with the initial production issues that this vaporizer had, this is by far the best portable due to heat up time, form factor and lifetime warranty.

Question for you all... if the Grasshopper never existed, which portable would be your go-to?

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Question for you all... if the Grasshopper never existed, which portable would be your go-to?

Great question! I say that because pre-grasshopper I didn't even like vaping and now it's my preferred way to consume.

I would probably have a Davinci IQ if I didn't have a grasshopper based on of my other vapes, it's the only one that I still use.

Top Bottom