Discontinued The Grasshopper

biohacker

I think based on the trends it appears to be somewhat random, but mainly usage patterns with the heaviest users logging on the most mileage eventually having issues, which doesn't explain the inconsistent performance problems and DOA's.

If any of you members were around long enough do you remember the Cloud+? VXL blamed it on a rogue manufacturer trying to steal their design and intentionally sabotage the product? So Cloud+ customers were having their Clouds+'s go belly up because heat would cause a wire to fall off the heater rendering it useless. Well, what happened? The company nearly folded and instead started a kickstarter which became the VXL EVO.

I wonder if something is happening like the GH is being made in China, and some parts are either inferior in design or there is something in the electronics that is causing so many issues, however it appears that the temp sensor (straight to blue) is the result of resin and not being able to maintain properly? The back ends on the other hand could just be bad manufacturing, or who knows what, but it is a product that CAN work, and go the distance that's forsure as i've experienced it for a protracted period myself.

I'm starting to think that the LIFETIME WARRANTY isn't due to confidence in the product, but more of a matter of they had little choice, when the device is so in its infancy. As reliability improves, and they have stronger faith in it, i'm thinking that the lifetime warranty could in fact turn into a standard 1 or 2 year.

I personally think that the GH is still in its beta stages, and there will be a turning point that will increase durability and go the distance, I just hope it's soon.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and based on my own inner dialogue so take it all as you will.

South Africa represent! Welcome to FC brother!!!

almost there

For people using their Grasshopper device sparingly, have you had any quality related problems? I am curious whether a puff every now and then "stresses" the product as much as doing several sessions in a row via a bubbler of similar. In other words, looking for whether it is just a matter of crappy design/build quality, and/or related to the device being used very intensively and therefor having heat related issues primarily due to that.

If a heating related issue, then my foreseen usage patterns wouldn't stress it much, however if it just craps out for people no matter how you handle it - then it is entirely another matter.
I never use a WP and use 10-15 half loads a week. Don't think it matters at all bc my hopper is a wimp

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat where the ti trackless rma at? :lol: Wherever it is, and wherever you are, I hope you are having an amazing trip! :tup: Don't hurt yourself doing that GH Voodoo Dance with your SS! :p
Still at home ... leaving Sunday. Today is the before last day that it can come in (no postal service on Saturday). Today is 11 business days shipping. Worst yet (which stands to reason since I was kinda' counting on it ... or hoping anyways ... oh well ... might still get lucky).

I think my DHGate order from China is going to beat my Hopper to me! :lol: :doh:

duff

Well worn
In other words, looking for whether it is just a matter of crappy design/build quality, and/or related to the device being used very intensively and therefor having heat related issues primarily due to that.
My GH usage prior to my first RMA was once or twice a day for one load only and rarely through water.

After my first RMA and before my second, GH usage went way down due to loosing a bit of faith in the unit and getting additional vapes. Maybe three or four times a week.

So I don't think it is necessarily tied to stressing the unit.

JCat

Accessory Maker
It's Thursday, what about tomorrow? :shrug:

My DHgate order came within a couple of weeks I think! :D
I said today is the "BEFORE" last day :) ... so yes ... there was still tomorrow.

But it just came in! And I got an "Out for Delivery" notice for my DHGate order :) Once I'm out of this meeting I'll be able to test if my Ti Hopper is actually fixed!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This vape is dead in the water because they locked themselves into this proprietary battery which cannot deliver, but it's too late to switch as nobody would take Hopper Labs seriously if they came out with an updated design that was LARGER than the original.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: biohacker

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I personally think that the GH is still in its beta stages, and there will be a turning point that will increase durability and go the distance, I just hope it's soon.

We may be at such a turning point right now, or at least be close to one. I'm hoping the change from a mechanical on/off switch to an electronic one will help, as well as the changes to the PCB panel:

April also brought more assembly and reliably improvements. We are continuously tweaking parts and making adjustments to improve the Grasshopper. Last month we scaled up PCB production switching to a panel size ten times larger allowing for more inspection time, greater PCB reliability and increased throughput. This change enables in-pannel programming and testing of every PCB individually, adding another quality control layer. See a quick clip of panel testing in this video.

JCat

Accessory Maker
So my Ti Hopper is back, and working great, I think! First time I used it, I fully charged up the battery, then did a session at 5. It was preforming wonderfully but between 8-10 sec or so it went to flashing red. Next two hits to finish bowl were the same, except started flashing sooner.

I changed the battery and cleaned everything including contact down in body, and I've since had a good 5 sessions or so problem free. Setting 4.5 is fine and hotter than 5 on my SS.

They replaced the back-end with this RMA.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Im still really happy with the GH performance. I use it in the evenings and usually have about 2 or 3 - 5 min sessions. For the most part I'm using water filtration. I've had this unit for 6 weeks or so. It was gifted from another FC member, so it isn't new. Not noticing it getting too hot. Not a hot battery area either.

The company can decide at any point to change the warranty from a lifetime to something more like a three year warranty which wouldn't surprise me. The previously sold units would still continue to have a lifetime warranty. The warranty is only in effect if the company stays in business.

Had some GrapeApe last night in the GH, one of my favorite strains. Water does take some of the flavor away so tried some without water. It tasted awesome in the GH.

The newer units seem to me a little overpriced. With a small portable folks want something $200 or under and some are cheaper. The Ti units are $350. I see. I maybe would be more interested in paying a little more if the return rate wasn't so high. I guess time will tell with the newer models.
Wishing Hopper Labs good luck with the newer GH units - its a win for everyone if they do well.

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So my Ti Hopper is back, and working great, I think! First time I used it, I fully charged up the battery, then did a session at 5. It was preforming wonderfully but between 8-10 sec or so it went to flashing red. Next two hits to finish bowl were the same, except started flashing sooner.

I changed the battery and cleaned everything including contact down in body, and I've since had a good 5 sessions or so problem free. Setting 4.5 is fine and hotter than 5 on my SS.

They replaced the back-end with this RMA.

Glad to hear it's working. What's the clicker like on your new back end?

Just wondering if they sent you a classic mechanical version or are the reports of a more digital style back end button true?

Hope it holds out for you, you are well overdue for decent hopper behaviour.

AJS

Calm Consistency
It goes by several names, but search "debowler."

I'm not a tapper with vapes. Was looking for a digger solution in one tool. At least while home. Ever since I fucked up at that Phil show by not digging out ABV, always dug out with S&B pick usually. Recently I was out and dammit, no digger...tried using my car key, nope, then finally resorted to tapping it. It didn't feel right.

When vaping instead of combusting, some habits are worth unlearning -- Like blowing and tapping to clean out a spent bowl. This is a hard habit to break. But, then again, aren't they all?!
I've literally never used a tool with my GH.

I take my last hit .. turn over and a small tap makes it all come out ... then I twist a part of my shirt and stick it in the GH and twist the GH a few times. Never had to clean my GH other than that. Still shiny shiny

Edit:
@Vape Dr. holy shit those nugs look daaaaaank (pardon my millennialism)

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Heretofore happy hopper home has a hiccup.

Gloom has befallen this deluded poster, who thought that mag charging was the secret to longevity. A bit over 7 months on this SS. Click on, turns red as usual, but then just shuts off. Tried other batteries.

Ever the bias enforcing optimist, I will say it lasted longer than my first two Craftys.

Joined the club by submitting my first RMA. Is there a new member hazing ritual? Hope it doesn't involve testing the hopper's biocompatibility.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Heretofore happy hopper home has a hiccup.

Gloom has befallen this deluded poster, who thought that mag charging was the secret to longevity. A bit over 7 months on this SS. Click on, turns red as usual, but then just shuts off. Tried other batteries.

Ever the bias enforcing optimist, I will say it lasted longer than my first two Craftys.

Joined the club by submitting my first RMA. Is there a new member hazing ritual? Hope it doesn't involve testing the hopper's biocompatibility.
Have you cleaned your backend with blu tac or some putty? Maybe some gunk is in there ... worth a try if not?

mephisto

I love this thread (insert Cartman voicing) everyone is so kind to one another.
Nice alliteration Choo Choo, you ask about some sort of biocompatibility hazing
and AJ responds with...
Have you cleaned your backend with blu tac or some putty? Maybe some gunk is in there ... worth a try if not?

A million laughs Mary, here's your fifty bucks....

biohacker

It was preforming wonderfully but between 8-10 sec or so it went to flashing red. Next two hits to finish bowl were the same, except started flashing sooner.

This was my experiences with RMA'ed GH's with new backends. I thought it was normal because i've seen it with @lazylathe brand new GH. It was just another frustration in the process, and I had enough at the time. Are you noticing any hot back ending going on? I hope this one doesn't require the GH voodoo dance, and lasts you somewhat. Neat that it gets hot enough, but 5 may be too much and causes over browning.

The Ti units are $350

Ti units are $250. HEAT TREATED Ti units are $350.

Just wondering if they sent you a classic mechanical version or are the reports of a more digital style back end button true?

okay, i've been off the forum all day and still in a minor depression with the Oilers loss.... where are these reports? :lol:

Top Bottom