Discontinued The Grasshopper

biohacker

Does Hopper Labs really care at all about it's customers?

I think you already know the answer to this bro. ;)

They have a poor quality product, a poor quality customer service, and they apparently treat their retailers badly too. (most shops in the EU don't stock them anymore and have bad things to say about them).

Here! Here! (sic) But, but....when it works it's AWESOME! Hmmmmm, emphasis on when, or is it if?

I don't understand how you guys have the patience and energy to keep doing this!
Just let them self destruct on their own... It shouldn't take very long.

Hear! Hear! :) I understand it, as i've been there... the energy and patience will wane, as :bang: builds.

What a roller coaster ride! :uhoh:

Wow....i was about to squeeze the trigger on one of these...kinda spooked

Don't be, just watch for the posts that come after this one! Be mindful, of their posting history though... critical thinking is imperative here, and you can smell the one sided posts from a mile away... just click on their message count and see!

@JCat have you considered posting your storey and experience on Reddit? Maybe, just maybe (doubtful though), HL will respond in public? They sound very altruistic by giving out FREE hoppers to those that have theirs stolen, unless.....they also get an invoice attached to it! :lol:

Don't forget to wear your helmet @JCat! :bang:;):ko:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
[/QUO

This is a pretty good place to come if you want to get spooked. If you want to buy a grasshopper I would go their website!

In all seriousness, I couldn't recommend the grasshopper more. I used to think vaping was novel until the grasshoppper. My experience with vapes generally is they all break. The difference is that my Firefly 2 stays broke. Why would I warranty it when I never use it.

My pax 2 is collecting dust and I occasionally use my Davinci IQ for vaping mixed herbs but for a session at home it's the grasshopper and a bong because no one I puff with will touch any other vape. All smokers, they hate other vapes but love Grasshopper bong rips!

Not only is the grasshopper my primary consumption method (90% of the time at least) but it's my favorite. I bought other vapes after the grasshopper because I thought the would be cool but the grasshopper is still my go to and kinda wish was my only vape. Nothing against the IQ or Pax 2 (Lots against the Firefly 2 I am very disappointed in that vape) but they Grasshopper just serves my needs better than any of them and no one can touch that 5 second heat up time!

My advice, get one and if you're really worried about QC get two! Still cheaper than my firefly 2 which definitely broke during the 5 months between the last time I used it.

Grasshoppers may break, but at least they get used. I've had mine for about 2 years now and love it.

slcbdco,

duff

Well worn
Sorry @JCat. That blows.
On three occasions I've gone out of town with my Hopper and on two of those it crapped out on me. After my first time stranded I always pack my VC just in case.
Don't want to pile on....but their behavior and track record is hard to ignore.

C'mon HL take care of JCat!

I'm glad some folks are not having any issues but they do seem to be in the minority.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Sorry @JCat. That blows.
On three occasions I've gone out of town with my Hopper and on two of those it crapped out on me. After my first time stranded I always pack my VC just in case.
Don't want to pile on....but their behavior and track record is hard to ignore.

C'mon HL take care of JCat!

I'm glad some folks are not having any issues but they do seem to be in the minority.
Don't worry ... even with my reliable vapes I pack back-ups. I'm super anxious about little things like that. (I'll leave the house, and although I'm 99% sure I've locked the door, that nagging 1% makes me go back and check ... yeah, yeah ... I know ... that sounds a little crazy :lol:)

Planning on packing:
- Grasshopper
- Mighty
- Crafty
- EVO

... think that's it ... and just 1 EVO (not bringing both)! + likely about 10x more cannabis than I need, because I'm not sure exactly which strains I'll want, and I want there to be absolutely NO chance of running out. I'll also pack I'm sure a ton of other things I don't need ... and will likely only use 25% of what I bring total or less ... paying that extra $65 baggage fee so I don't have to stress out about what not to bring :lol: I'm sure my carry on, coat, and suit case will be a very interesting scan :lol:

I'm actually handling this whole situation pretty well all things considered ... only causing me moderate amounts of anxiety ... I'm able to shrug each disappointment off pretty quickly so far ... :)

Razshiro

Here! Here! (sic) But, but....when it works it's AWESOME! Hmmmmm, emphasis on when, or is it if?
I have mine since 1 year now, just had a Front end issue, so i've only sent this little piece for 4€...It seems i'm lucky, maybe because i'm using my GH 4-5 times per week only at 4.2-4.7 (even if i use waterpiece). My only complaint atm it's for the batteries; they're so shitty, i have 5 batteries and only 2 work really well...

Well time to spread some Hopper's love:luv::

:tup:Have a great day!!

almost there

Don't worry ... even with my reliable vapes I pack back-ups. I'm super anxious about little things like that. (I'll leave the house, and although I'm 99% sure I've locked the door, that nagging 1% makes me go back and check ... yeah, yeah ... I know ... that sounds a little crazy :lol:)

Planning on packing:
- Grasshopper
- Mighty
- Crafty
- EVO

... think that's it ... and just 1 EVO (not bringing both)! + likely about 10x more cannabis than I need, because I'm not sure exactly which strains I'll want, and I want there to be absolutely NO chance of running out. I'll also pack I'm sure a ton of other things I don't need ... and will likely only use 25% of what I bring total or less ... paying that extra $65 baggage fee so I don't have to stress out about what not to bring :lol: I'm sure my carry on, coat, and suit case will be a very interesting scan :lol:

I'm actually handling this whole situation pretty well all things considered ... only causing me moderate amounts of anxiety ... I'm able to shrug each disappointment off pretty quickly so far ... :)
Good for you, just can't let it spoil everything else that's giving good vibes. Having said that I'm on RMA #2, let's hope this time I can get more than a week out of it. The whole process isn't the end of the world for me if I can just get some good moments like everyone else besides a few unfortunates(u and me mainly)

biohacker

Well time to spread some Hopper's love:luv::

What temp and how full was the bowl? Because if at temp 5 and a reasonable sized bowl, IMO only it "looks" to me that it's underperforming. Check out my milk vids for what a properly working GH vapour output should look like at temp 5!

Many out there think their GH's work, when in fact they are underperforming.

Razshiro

What temp and how full was the bowl? Because if at temp 5 and a reasonable sized bowl, IMO only it "looks" to me that it's underperforming. Check out my milk vids for what a properly working GH vapour output should look like at temp 5!

Many out there think their GH's work, when in fact they are underperforming.

I almost never used temp 5,Temp was 4.2, half bowl , medium grind (used a SCS)... i know i can milk better ... i will try to do more milked video :p:razz: (next video will be for Supreme V3)...

Cheers :tup:

Longen

I've had my hopper 9 months. Well. I'm on number 4 lol, it's gotta go back again. It is a bit frustrating having to send it off again as when it is working its amazing (through water). I've had numerous faults. Different flashing lights and sequences. This time it stops charging after a couple of minutes and flashes red and blue then boom it stops. The thing i'm slightly annoyed about is the fact i keep recieving promo emails from grasshopper trying to sell me another one. I just thought maybe they would concentrate on getting all the issues ironed out. But who am i to say i don't run my own business. Hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have it back and it might last a while longer. My air is my old trusty, got a couple of other vapes and a vapcap coming soon. I would never take the hopper out alone with out a back up vape tho. I would cry if i was fishing and it done a number on me. I'm still happy tho as when it works it's awesome, not so much without glass. And so far they have replaced it each time and they are this time. I really hope they do get all the bugs sorted as with that new mouthpiece coming out they emailed me it might be cooler on the lips. Peace!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
So another update ... pretty pissed off actually about this one, and this one HL better make right (although I don't know what I'll do about it ... since I really don't have any options ... I can choose to throw out both my Hoppers ... I can't sell them as I can't get them fixed, and I can't sell them broken ... probably going to cost me in excess of the cost of a Hopper in shipping to get a working one ... if even that makes that happen ... anyways ... guess they've got me by the balls ... I'll I can do is whine to no effect ... sigh ...)

On Friday, I sent a message to HL about my Ti Hopper, as they had it since Tuesday, and it was still in repair and testing; knowing that it takes 2 weeks shipping, and I was leaving town in 2 weeks, and I really wanted it back prior to then, I reached out to make sure this would happen. Sent a second message Monday, outlining that if it wasn't sent out that day, it would not make it to me in time, and I really wanted it back on time; seems the least they can do is get it back to me considering all my RMA's and owning two and yet to have a fully functional one for more than a few days (my Ti one from @biohacker is the only one that worked almost properly ... worked properly 90% of the time for the first few days ...)

Caroline answered on Monday later in the day, and indicated my Hopper was ready to go out, and they were just waiting for the Ti PFEs so everything would be ready to ship out tomorrow (Tuesday). I paid an additional $45 USD to have everything shipped out priority, as I really wanted it for my week out of town, so guess I had no choice. I even indicated (sort of jokingly) that it better come back fixed after the significant amount of money I just spent to get it here sooner!

So Tuesday night I send a message, as no shipping notice, again Wednesday I send a message, still no response, and then I get a shipping notice .... for UPS Mail Innovations!!!!!!!!!!!! So I flip out a little (I mean we are talking maybe 5-10 messages between my Ti and SS warranty claims, and I really emphasized how I wanted it here by the 12th absolute latest. This felt like a real slap in the face. Did she even read any of my e-mails? Did she even actually check on the status of my Hopper?

Because it gets better! I checked the shipping info, and it seems it shipped out LAST WEDNESDAY!!!! So she charged me $45USD to have something shipped priority on Monday, when it had already shipped 5 days prior!!!!!! They better refund me my $45. And if they've already shipped out my PFEs priority (not with the Hopper), I still expect that refund. I NEVER indicated I would like to have my Ti PFEs shipped priority on their own! It was always about the Hopper. Although it's a pain, if they don't want to issue a refund, I guess I'll at least get the ball rolling with the Better Business Bureau.

So I really have to ask this again, even though it's been asked before: Does Hopper Labs really care at all about it's customers? I wonder if they are spitting in the Hoppers before they send them out? :lol: They should really include a sticker with the Hopper that says something like ... "Sucker!" ... "What an idiot!" (let the customer interpret it themselves ... they'll understand well enough after they deal with customer service a couple times!

Looking forward to months more of bashing my head against a brick wall! (actually I think a brick wall has a lot more give ...!)

I can't believe they are playing silly little games like charging for priority shipping, misquoting the ship date and stressing out a customer.

Doesn't sound very Zen to me.

Maybe it's a mistake, but with a customer that's on a significant number of RMA's and clearly communicating their requirements clearly I don't see making a mistake as all that much of an improvement over intentionally misleading them.

@JCat I hope it all works out for you bud, sorry to hear you are having such a tragic experience.

Yeh I'd hold off for now if it were me, there are times when innovation isn't worth the hassle of dealing with a CS dept. thats either incompetent or intentionally misleading their customers.

@JCat's experience is not a one off, there are others like @biohacker's, @Icon13's, @Bass Vaper's, @Volteric's. The list of disappointed customers is growing rapidly and I'm shocked that HL's aren't making more of an effort to appease these customers.

There may not be vapes that hit with the same signature but there are vapes out there that don't cause nearly as much angst or stress.

If you want to see what an example of a company going out of their way to help a customer out, go check out the DynaVap thread.

Volteric

I can't believe they are playing silly little games like charging for priority shipping, misquoting the ship date and stressing out a customer.

Maybe it's a mistake, but with a customer that's on a significant number of RMA's and clearly communicating their requirements clearly I don't see making a mistake as all that much of an improvement over intentionally misleading them.

@JCat I hope it all works out for you bud, sorry to hear you are having such a tragic experience.

Yeh I'd hold off for now if it were me, there are times when innovation isn't worth the hassle of dealing with a CS dept. thats either incompetent or intentionally misleading their customers.

@JCat's experience is not a one off, there are others like @biohacker's, @Icon13's, @Bass Vaper's, @Volteric's. The list of disappointed customers is growing rapidly and I'm shocked that HL's aren't making more of an effort to appease these customers.

There may not be vapes that hit with the same signature but there are vapes out there that don't cause nearly as much angst or stress.

If you want to see what an example of a company going out of their way to help a customer out, go check out the DynaVap thread.

I gave them simple instructions to appease me: stop sending me my repair unit and furnish me with a new blue one.

She said a-okay. Sends back same POS. Of course I'm paying for every shipment with time and money. Bunch of morons. Seriously, I've been long suffering. Add this to a LONG list of crowdfunded pieces of half-baked shit.

GrandWazoo

Hi
got mi SS GH since 9 months without issues . Sad for people still having problems , but I can say that if it works , it does great !! Now I experienced sub ohm tanks with e-liquid , very very practical , but I prefer dry herbs. Waiting for new batteries , wich are actually very difficult to find in Europe. Anyone had an idea , anyone did find not dedicated ones ?

Longen

I have been reading the dynavap thread as i have the "m" on its way to me. Looking like a nice little vape!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I gave them simple instructions to appease me: stop sending me my repair unit and furnish me with a new blue one.

She said a-okay. Sends back same POS. Of course I'm paying for every shipment with time and money. Bunch of morons. Seriously, I've been long suffering. Add this to a LONG list of crowdfunded pieces of half-baked shit.

Sorry to hear that man, as a HL customer myself I fear the day I have to RMA again.

Just for transparency, I have only had to RMA one of my units twice and the process was fairly smooth but this was before they switched to having the whole unit returned. So I personally am only concerned about the growing number of poor CS examples.

Hi
got mi SS GH since 9 months without issues . Sad for people still having problems , but I can say that if it works , it does great !! Now I experienced sub ohm tanks with e-liquid , very very practical , but I prefer dry herbs. Waiting for new batteries , wich are actually very difficult to find in Europe. Anyone had an idea , anyone did find not dedicated ones ?

It's good to see there are users having a positive experience, I don't think it's all doom and gloom and I would encourage as many happy hopper heads out there to chime in with their good experiences.

However I can no longer in good conscience recommend the GH knowing that if you happen to get lumbered with a dud you are likely to end up spending 1/3+ of it's value on return fees and HL appear to have a barron field of fucks to give about compensating you with either a priority return service or supplying you with a new device while they spend the time figuring out what was wrong with the old one.

I have been reading the dynavap thread as i have the "m" on its way to me. Looking like a nice little vape!

I think the VapCap M is a great device backed by an amazing company, the vape signature is not for everyone, no vape is, but even if you don't instantly fall in love with it it's not like you will have invested a decent wodge of cash and time into it.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
It is an amazing time to be a enthusiaist. There are many quality vapes on the market.

As always @GreenHopper, nice post.

Thanks bud,

You are spot on too. :nod: The innovation seems to be picking up speed in the industry and shows no sign of slowing down. :rockon:

Companies are going to be (already are) competing in a tough market. I think the difference between the company that goes the distance and one that doesn't is going to be reputation. I think it's crucial right now for HL's to avoid having threads on forums bouncing up and down on their CS. :myday:

I'm rooting for HL, I admire their 'go it alone' attitude. A kickstarter campaign is a tough start and moving to BC right before production couldn't have been easy. I recognise they have had scaling issues and are still a young company but they are up against titans with great session vapes like the Mighty by Storz & Bikel. Haze have the H3 covering all bases and DynaVap are making waves in the one hitter demographic.

Those are some great looking options from some well respected companies, we are so spoilt for choice.... it's great :D

I think the HL heater is capable of great things, I look forward to the day I feel I can recommend the GH by HL's, but today is not that day :disgust:

***this post was written off the back of an OmniVap induced time warping energy wave and I now need to lie down or eat ice cream, or both, :mmmm:, ice cream......

WoodyWeedPecker

I feel there's nothing like the Grasshopper at the moment in the market. The choice of on-demand convection portable is limited and this one is small, easy to use (even first timers can use it), stealthy with has a 5 seconds heat up time, etc. I still recommend it because I didn't have any RMA. I have my gh since august but I don't use it everyday. I use a Nitecore charger. Click off the gh before my draws are finished to cool down the mouthpiece. As long as you don't have to send it back, it's perfect as a portable vaporizer and the best in the industry.

Last edited:

Volteric

Sorry to hear that man, as a HL customer myself I fear the day I have to RMA again.

Just for transparency, I have only had to RMA one of my units twice and the process was fairly smooth but this was before they switched to having the whole unit returned. So I personally am only concerned about the growing number of poor CS examples.

It's good to see there are users having a positive experience, I don't think it's all doom and gloom and I would encourage as many happy hopper heads out there to chime in with their good experiences.

However I can no longer in good conscience recommend the GH knowing that if you happen to get lumbered with a dud you are likely to end up spending 1/3+ of it's value on return fees and HL appear to have a barron field of fucks to give about compensating you with either a priority return service or supplying you with a new device while they spend the time figuring out what was wrong with the old one.

I think the VapCap M is a great device backed by an amazing company, the vape signature is not for everyone, no vape is, but even if you don't instantly fall in love with it it's not like you will have invested a decent wodge of cash and time into it.

How's the vape sig for the DynaVap compared to GH?

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
How's the vape sig for the DynaVap compared to GH?

***be aware I'm using DynaVaps top end model the OmniVap, the other models are similar but lack some of the advanced features that I write about below***

The OmniVap has more restriction on the draw when used with the carb closed fully. It's quite noticeable when used natively but not so bad through water. You can open up the carb to mix in air which alleviates this issue but you don't get the same level of vapour production.

The OmniVap is more of a hybrid than the GH which leans heavily towards the convection method of heat delivery.

With basic effort the GH blows you away (there were times I wondered if I was ever gonna make it back).

The Omni can deliver a nice hit with basic effort but it has a little bit of a learning curve of you want your perfect hit. This is because there are so many subtle ways you can adapt your technique to eak out a slightly different experience. Flame placement, bowl size (it's adjustable) and carb position (air/vapour mix).

The GH is more consistent (ok stop laughing @biohacker), when it's working within spec you know what to expect from a T4 hit with a freshly charged battery. The Omni can produce fairly consistent hits but its reliant on the users consistency of technique.

I love not having to baby the Omni, it's one tough vape, I have actually hit it with a mallet (long story, some other time) and its working better than ever.

I love that the GH has user replaceable batteries, it had to really.

Also the stealth on the GH is second to none.

All these aspects of each are part of the experience and ultimately the signature of the vape.

When I bought into the Hoppers hype I was sold on easy cleaning and instant heat up. It totally delivers on that, I chuck the tip into a small glass jar of ISO and clean out the bowl with a small vape brush just after hitting it.

The Omni is just as easy to clean, I clean it just after use while any residual reclaim is still warm and I just run a rod up through the condenser. The Ti Tip goes in the jar with the hopper MP.

Because both are easy to clean you'll do it more often and you'll benefit from better flavour from both. The first hit on either offers great flavour, not the best but up there.

I find loading and unloading the Omni easier than the Hopper, I don't have to worry about cleaning the bowl out or keeping threads clean.

I've treated both these vapes like one hitters, I take one huge draw and then I'm flying.

I prefer using the butane torch lighters as a fuel over the batteries. I like being able to get 2-3 day's worth of use out of a lighter that's about 1/3 longer than an AA battery. I long for the day battery efficiency over takes hydrocarbons but we are still a long way off that (IMO). The butane doesn't seem to affect the flavour at all.

I'm trying to offer a balanced view on both devices, neither are the holy grail, both have their qualities. Both offer next gen vapor quality and density.

For the record, at this moment in time the Omni is my preference for its easy reloading, solid reliability and DynaVaps outstanding CS. The vapour sign is so good on both these devices that for me it comes down to other deciding factors.

Top Bottom