Discontinued The Grasshopper

catbird

hyperconscious
Welp, great timing. Going on a trip friday and my grasshopper just died today. At least I have my Mighty as a backup. Just submitted a warranty request. Maybe I'll get the replacement part in time, I doubt it. LOL. I got the flashing cop lights aka sensor damage.
I feel you. Same sensor issue and going out of town tomorrow. My replacement body was supposed to come today, but didn't make it :( Tracking does not give a reason either. Guess I'll be traveling with my Firewood but I gotta say nothing beats GH for travel (except well, you know, like any vape that is working).

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I tried a hopper a few times today. OMG how do you people hit it? The draw restriction is ridiculous. Maybe my buddy had too much packed in? If I wasn't bored with sucking on a vape for 20 seconds my lips were telling me to stop from the heat. Aside from that it looked cool and heated up fast. Damn does it fail for general use though-portable and stealth only. I'll try it again soon with a lighter pack.

jojo monkey,
Reactions: vapen00b

Mr Mellish

I tried a hopper a few times today. OMG how do you people hit it? The draw restriction is ridiculous. Maybe my buddy had too much packed in? If I wasn't bored with sucking on a vape for 20 seconds my lips were telling me to stop from the heat. Aside from that it looked cool and heated up fast. Damn does it fail for general use though-portable and stealth only. I'll try it again soon with a lighter pack.

Must have been the pack. For me, the draw is pretty easy.

Kalessin

So are GH sending new parts out to ppl? I thought they'd stopped doing that and were making ppl send broken hoppers back for repair instead?
They send out replacement parts sometimes, depending on whether they can identify the failure type it seems like. The first two times mine failed they asked me to do a few tests and afterward were able to determine the body as the problem and sent out replacements first. My front end threads stripped most recently, and they asked me to send it in for inspection this time. (Maybe they can redo the threads? :shrug:)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Old Boy Scout motto kicking in while I wait.
Anything else? (funnel & stand on order from Delta3D)

I1S8UL3m.jpg
Where's the backup vape? You're gonna need that!

Check the Nitecore manual about the slow charging option, which has to be selected each time a battery is inserted, or if charger is powered off and back on, default is the faster charge. Might as well get that right straight outta the gate (slow charge can extend battery life). You can also learn how to turn Nitecore's screen light off. These are very easy settings, there are only two buttons.
Now you just need HL to get back to shipping some Hoppers!

MoltenTiger

So are GH sending new parts out to ppl? I thought they'd stopped doing that and were making ppl send broken hoppers back for repair instead?
My experience is the opposite, I haven't filed my current sensor issues for warranty yet (need to register, requires the box back home). Last time I had sensor issues, I had to send away the whole unit, this time I expect they'll send me the body straight up like they've just done with my other hopper.

As @Kalessin said, they've developed a pretty streamlined troubleshooting process that identifies the major faults. Only if you have an unknown issue or some other complex problem will they ask for the unit to be returned in full. Otherwise they just replace the dodgy part when they have one ready.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I admit I haven't checked...

Has blu tac made it to the resources page So? Seems like a good addition.

And to @jojo monkey, I suggest also checking the mouthpiece screen to confirm it isn't clogged and in need of an ISO bath.
If Blu Tac goes to the Resource pages, and I definitely think it should, please @Vapor_Eyes also include Duco's Stik Tak, which I got at a True Value hardware store in US. It's very similar. thanks!

Shieldsab

In a fit of madness induced by very little sleep and seeing them in stock, plus a bit of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I pulled the trigger on a SS GH from VapeFiend. Partly because having the Evolve Plus is such a nice way to do concentrates while out. Just couldn't give up the thought of being able to do that with flowers with a similarly stealthy device. After I've had it for a few days and made sure it's something I'm willing to use and there are no major issues right away, I shall proceed to stock up on accessories. I hope the mail services are experiencing a fit of competency so I get my GH faster.
Anyone know if VapeFiend will have stock with the new chargers? And thus presumably relatively up to date bodies?

Mr. Me2

Thought I'd give a report on my hopper.

Starting about a week ago, I noticed the backend starting to heat up. I wouldn't call it hot, but definitely warmer than it ever got before. And I also noticed flickering blue lights, particularly when drawing. And not just on batteries close to needing a charge.

I monitored it and fretted a bit. I was getting concerned that a bigger problem was going to happen, or my hopper was just in a new phase (puberty?) and it's cool backend was gone forever.

I first tried cleaning the backend threads with the version of blu tac I have in the house. It removed some dirt, but not as much as I've seen pictured here (mine is a ss; I wonder if the ti's attract more dirt or are more prone to "shaving"?). The backend seemed to twist a little smoother, but no change in the 2 problems.

Then I tried one of our resource fixes, and just gave the temperature gauge several back and forths. And VOILÀ! Both problems disappeared!

So thank you to whoever discovered that fix and shared it here (was that you @JoeMama?)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Blu-Tac has been in the fixes resource for a few days. :) :tup:

I don't want to add additional brands, as the list could be nearly endless. I picked up some made by 3M at a local store.

I didn't have much debris on my Ti threads but it's less than a month old. It was still a decent amount. I haven't cleaned the SS threads yet and I'm honestly not expecting much, the last time I cleaned them there was virtually no debris.

It worked great for cleaning the notches on the temperature dials of both units.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
bummer. I feel like with all the issues this unit has had the warranty is a must. I guess buying 2nd hand is out.

Yes, the warranty is essential.
In some cases you could buy second hand and get warranty, if the purchaser(seller) has not yet registered the device. For example, someone might buy one and try it out, decide it's not for them, and sell it with never having registered. Or a purchaser might buy and give away as a gift, then the recipient can register. Or a pre-orderer bought a bunch to sell on ebay...

Mrbrown81k

Yes, the warranty is essential.
In some cases you could buy second hand and get warranty, if the purchaser(seller) has not yet registered the device. For example, someone might buy one and try it out, decide it's not for them, and sell it with never having registered. Or a purchaser might buy and give away as a gift, then the recipient can register. Or a pre-orderer bought a bunch to sell on ebay...
Yes I regret registering it as soon as I received it....

Mrbrown81k,

mulciber

You absolutely need the warranty.

Curious: Is there a thread where people post who have had NO problems with their GH? Those cases must exist, right? I ask because I just rec'd my GH and it works flawlessly. Of course it stands to reason that most people don't post unless they have a problem, but knowing there are Grasshoppers out there that just keep working as they should would be heartening.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Curious: Is there a thread where people post who have had NO problems with their GH? Those cases must exist, right? I ask because I just rec'd my GH and it works flawlessly. Of course it stands to reason that most people don't post unless they have a problem, but knowing there are Grasshoppers out there that just keep working as they should would be heartening.

Sadly I do not know. But my buddy who bought one, his broke. I've had mine for just a little over a month, mine broke. I know a bunch of people with Xbox 360's who broke and the consensus was everyone's broke at some point. But that ain't true either :-).

AJS

Calm Consistency
Little update.
Since using the putty to clean the threads, I have yet to have the unit shut off during heatup. This normally would happen 1-3 times a bowl, but it hasn't happened in about 5 bowls with all 3 of my batteries. Obviously not a huge amount of trials, but it still says something.
Less heater ticking noises so far too, and backend doesn't get as hot, as often, it's either completely cool, or gets a warmish hot.

I treat this device very kindly, and I feel I will be rewarded with a long lasting unit. I keep my unit cool, I don't pull for insane amounts of time, and I don't crank it to 5 just to suck out the last remaining bit. The majority of my Hopper's life is spent under 3.5. I go to 4.2 for maybe 1-2 hits a bowl recently.

I try to reserve my Milaana for water, because I take bigger hits, and that's just more heat exposure to the intervals of the GH if I hit like that.

I got the GH to stand as a highly stealth, well regulated hard hitting portable, and I will use it as such. No point in having it floor me through water at risk of exposing my unit to too much heat, when I have another portable that performs just as well for me.

To those of you who say "I shouldn't have to baby my unit, I got something that I should be able to rip the shit out of all day every day", I totally feel you, and I thought the same thing. I just enjoy really putting myself into taking care of something that I care about. It's almost like, the fact that it's a bit more vulnerable, is why I'm gaining an emotional attachment to it. Sort of like my (pretty highly intelligent and affectionate) pet rats, they're just so vulnerable, and when something relies on you so heavily for its survival, it's heartwarming, and even moreso when the animal feels it too.
Maybe they need to make a GH with emotional understanding. :)

JoeMama

Then I tried one of our resource fixes, and just gave the temperature gauge several back and forths. And VOILÀ! Both problems disappeared!

So thank you to whoever discovered that fix and shared it here (was that you @JoeMama?)

Actually, no, that wasn't me, but I had mentioned that IF you do this "fix", do so without the battery inside. There is axial pressure on the battery when the backend is screwed on, and turning that dial with a vengeance can possibly turn the battery, causing it to rub on that center contact.... possibly causing unnecessary wear on that contact.

In any case, though, turning that dial will help. And now that I'm thinking about it, I do hope the contact inside the temp dial is a robust one. Having seen that pic from @lovecrush makes me cautiously handle that backend more than I would've before seeing that.

Less heater ticking noises so far too, and backend doesn't get as hot, as often, it's either completely cool, or gets a warmish hot.

I can't decide about that ticking... sometimes it seems a bit louder or softer than others, and it is not necessarily correlating to battery connection stuff. It may be, but I'm not observing that.

I got the GH to stand as a highly stealth, well regulated hard hitting portable, and I will use it as such. No point in having it floor me through water at risk of exposing my unit to too much heat, when I have another portable that performs just as well for me.

I think of this often; my hopper is my mainliner, mainly because I only have a Pax2 prior, and well, I just can't use that unless I'm sessioning with someone. Even then, I find myself wanting to sneak a Hopper Hit and leave the Pax for everyone else. I just dig the power of those hits.
Unless I'm using water, I don't go past T4 for the same reasons you would have, but with the bubbler, I'll keep it at T5.

I'm gaining an emotional attachment to it. Sort of like my (pretty highly intelligent and affectionate) pet rats, they're just so vulnerable, and when something relies on you so heavily for its survival, it's heartwarming, and even moreso when the animal feels it too.
Maybe they need to make a GH with emotional understanding. :)

It's odd.. I agree I am emotionally attached to this little jewel of engineering smarts; yet I don't feel they make these with any attachment to making anyone happy. That's just how I feel about the company for how they run their CS. They do, however, do what is necessary.

That may be a good idea, but practically speaking, as soon as someone whose hopper has been working "great" suddenly crapped out, they'd have to leave the dialog and never return.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Few random things I'll quickly note:

The ticking sound is not necessarily tied to the heater, it is possible for a hopper to tick whilst the heater fails to do anything.

Agmatine is a supplement that is synergistic with cannabis. Apparently it negates tolerance. I reckon I'll get some to go with my new body, if it works out for me it will prolong the life of my replacement part.

Also, randomly, Massdrop are currently listing Pewter Pen Holders
images

They look pretty neat, could be a good option for fellow desktop hopperheads :D

tubasco

Mind blown! :razz:

Can anyone else confirm if the battery contact on their backend turns along with the temperature dial?

Mine does. I've never noticed it before.

I'm just sitting here hoping Caroline replies to me tomorrow, and figured I'd give the above method of rotating the dial back and forth a try...and noticed the contact rotating with it.

Top Bottom