Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey, Me2, not yet, but I expect it to arrive today so I can try it out.
I'll definitely be posting on it.

Meanwhile, in case anyone has asked GHL about leather sleeves and SS cases:

Me: Hi, Caroline; I’m curious about the two leather sleeves and stainless case status…. please advise?
Love my two hoppers, they work great now.

GHL: We are still waiting on the Leather Sleeves to arrive here. As soon we get them in-stock, I will get yours shipped out.

Me: I’m curious about the two leather sleeves and stainless case status…. please advise?
Love my two hoppers, they work great now.

GHL: The SS Case is still in development and will be available once we get them in-stock. If you already have one on your order, it will ship out as soon as we get them.

Me: Yes, but do you have any idea of the ETA of these things?

GHL: Unfortunately, I don't have any concrete date information for either of these items to be back in-stock. I would hate to bother you with another estimated date only for that to be changed again. I apologize for the inconvenience.

:doh:
I think non-committal (realistic?) answers like the one you received are better in this case.
In mid August I was told I'd be sent a leather sleeve as soon as they came into stock, which "should be in about two weeks." I now see there was likely no weight behind that answer, even while Caroline may have believed it at the time...

MoltenTiger

My go to stealth travel pack in action:
16jkplc.jpg

Grinder
Carbon exhaust filter
Arizer EQ silicone hose
eCig SS 'drip tip' mouthpiece
Hopper

Never has a whip been so portable and there's n̶o̶ little room for improvement.. Besides battery life I guess, but still
Portably chargeable batteries guys.
Sooooo good

Highly recommended and IMO worth waiting for

Or there's now www.Vapefiend.co.uk or something or other...

You know if you want to join the ranks of the fiends it's pretty easy and well worth it.

To sum up that silicone whip.... That silicone whip fuckcombustion... That silicone whip OMG

Last edited:

tubasco

Ugh...I should've kept my mouth shut. Or knocked on wood maybe...

I think I might need to do my first warranty repair. I've been a proud backer-owner since January 16 and have not required any warranty service yet.

I'm looking to y'all to see if this is a thing: It may sound strange, but has anyone experienced (when turning the unit on) a VERY brief red light that turns blue on temps 1-3.5 in approx one second or less? It happens with all my batteries. I used to have to wait multiple seconds for blue, and incrementally longer depending on the temp setting. I'm a little nervous to use my hopper now.

My initial instincts tell me this backend is done. And the more I think of it, having a VERY short red light that turns blue so fast...maybe it's legit heating too fast? The dial seems to make no difference with red light turning to blue for temps 1-3.5 Temps 4-5 take a seemingly normal time to turn blue, but the hopper *seems* to be getting hotter than normal on those temps.

I keep up with the forums here and on Reddit, and I don't recall seeing this issue exactly before. I do recall people saying their temp dial made no difference and they combusted on each setting...and I have either combusted or had slight combustion.

Anyone recognize this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

MoltenTiger

Ugh...I should've kept my mouth shut. Or knocked on wood maybe...

I think I might need to do my first warranty repair. I've been a proud backer-owner since January 16 and have not required any warranty service yet.

I'm looking to y'all to see if this is a thing: It may sound strange, but has anyone experienced (when turning the unit on) a VERY brief red light that turns blue on temps 1-3.5 in approx one second or less? It happens with all my batteries. I used to have to wait multiple seconds for blue, and incrementally longer depending on the temp setting. I'm a little nervous to use my hopper now.

My initial instincts tell me this backend is done. And the more I think of it, having a VERY short red light that turns blue so fast...maybe it's legit heating too fast? The dial seems to make no difference with red light turning to blue for temps 1-3.5 Temps 4-5 take a seemingly normal time to turn blue, but the hopper *seems* to be getting hotter than normal on those temps.

I keep up with the forums here and on Reddit, and I don't recall seeing this issue exactly before. I do recall people saying their temp dial made no difference and they combusted on each setting...and I have either combusted or had slight combustion.

Anyone recognize this behavior?

Thanks in advance!
My blue Ti did this about two weeks ago. The next day it was working normally and so far it hasn't happened again. Not sure what to make of it, it could be a software bug of some sort...

I tried using a different back-end at the time and it was the same, I might have charged it with the included magnetic charger before it worked again.. unsure

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: tubasco

tubasco

My blue Ti did this about two weeks ago. The next day it was working normally and so far it hasn't happened again. Not sure what to make of it, it could be a software bug of some sort...

I tried using a different back-end at the time and it was the same, I might have charged it with the included magnetic charger before it worked again.. unsure
I just double checked. It takes 24 seconds to heat up on 4 or 5. When I turn it on set to 4 or 5 and then lower it to 1 while on it stays red...I didn't wait to see how long.
When I start it on 1 it goes from red to blue super quickly.
Just sent in a warranty request/inquiry. Dammit.

8 1/2 months might be a record? Dammit.:ugh:

EDIT: I tried the hopper again. It looked normal: temp 3.5, clicked on, red light for ~10 seconds then turned blue, I took a draw and... combustion.

Looks like it's time for a T break whether I like it or not. I don't see myself going back to my FW 3.0, Prima, flowermate mini or combustion. Hope HL can help me asap

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Got some putty stuff that a few of you guys recommended. I went to Home Depot and was recommended to Office Depot. I couldn't find blue tac but I found some other stuff. For this reason, I didn't use it on the threads for the mouthpiece, don't know how safe the would be. Worked amazing on the backends though. Despite a recent cleaning they still showed grime, so it definitely works.
My hopper feels super charged now, getting kinda ridiculous clouds at temps under 3. Maybe the Stars have aligned. Maybe I'm crazy.

JoeMama

I just double checked. It takes 24 seconds to heat up on 4 or 5. When I turn it on set to 4 or 5 and then lower it to 1 while on it stays red...I didn't wait to see how long.
When I start it on 1 it goes from red to blue super quickly.
Just sent in a warranty request/inquiry. Dammit.

8 1/2 months might be a record? Dammit.:ugh:

EDIT: I tried the hopper again. It looked normal: temp 3.5, clicked on, red light for ~10 seconds then turned blue, I took a draw and... combustion.

Looks like it's time for a T break whether I like it or not. I don't see myself going back to my FW 3.0, Prima, flowermate mini or combustion. Hope HL can help me asap

I will say this, but it is not a response to your post, but more what reminds me of possible problems, plus I'm high as f*k right now...
If my hopper(s) started doing stuff that exhibits erratic heating in the direction of combustion when on a low Temp setting, I'd start using a long tube to keep it away from my face. I'm only suggesting this for concern for safety and not to put the hopper down. I'd continue to use it til it failed or is "acceptable" to GHL as a replacement. I hope your warranty run on this goes quickly and with satisfying results for you.

Got some putty stuff that a few of you guys recommended. I went to Home Depot and was recommended to Office Depot. I couldn't find blue tac but I found some other stuff. For this reason, I didn't use it on the threads for the mouthpiece, don't know how safe the would be. Worked amazing on the backends though. Despite a recent cleaning they still showed grime, so it definitely works.
My hopper feels super charged now, getting kinda ridiculous clouds at temps under 3. Maybe the Stars have aligned. Maybe I'm crazy.

Nope, you ain't crazy. I am seeing my hoppers run longer on battery, and when the flickering starts, it has a ways to go before it goes red. The backend stays cool, too.

As well, a couple of days and about 3 batteries later, I Blu-Tac'd just for the sake of it, and there was hardly any debris. The initial cleaning was a deep one, and I'm excited about this stuff as much as I was about Silly Putty when it came out :freak:

valence

Anyone know if the warranty transfers if you buy it second hand? thinking of purchasing one in the classifides.

valence,

MoltenTiger

So I just had a bizarre experience.
I was taking off the lid of my hopper whip and noticed a bunch of vapour seeping out of the mouthpiece. Was confusing for a bit as it had some weed in it, still a bit green, seemingly smouldering.

It was trippy and I only realised what was up after seeing it twice. I guess I'm pretty baked. The whip was still full of vapour. Dense like the sun.

Anyways, after taking off the back-end to swap batteries after killing one with 3 chambers, 12 or so hits on the whip, I noticed there is a lot of friction build up when doing so.

On the forum I was lurking with the blu-tac recommendation, there were also a couple of mentions about the advantages of decreasing the tension of the spring when twisting the threads of a battery compartment on or off.
Doing this, by pushing either section (body / back-end) towards each other, prevents a huge amount of force on the threads and you can actually hear the difference, similar to some back ends and pushing down on the dial for temp adjustment.

Just something worth considering, honestly with all threading on anything. Keeps the threads cleaner and healthy.

~

On the topic of warranty @valence if you are the first person to register the hopper then you are the owner of the warranty.
If you gain access to an account, and change the address to your own there is nothing stopping fraudulent access to warranty (lacking any communication with the owner and without their knowledge).
It is seemingly possible to change the name and email of an HL account, plus the address.
However, transferring of warranties is against HL stipulation.

It's quite likely Classifieds sales of the GH will involve full disclosure of the warranty status, talk to the seller.
It's also available retail right now at Vapefiend

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: moondog

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Welp, great timing. Going on a trip friday and my grasshopper just died today. At least I have my Mighty as a backup. Just submitted a warranty request. Maybe I'll get the replacement part in time, I doubt it. LOL. I got the flashing cop lights aka sensor damage.

newVaper420,

MoltenTiger

Welp, great timing. Going on a trip friday and my grasshopper just died today. At least I have my Mighty as a backup. Just submitted a warranty request. Maybe I'll get the replacement part in time, I doubt it. LOL. I got the flashing cop lights aka sensor damage.
My blue hopper has just started flashing cop lights too.
I am away from home and didn't bring a back up, it's final hurrah was a big kief hit though so that was nice.
I wonder if my replacements will last longer, and just how many hoppers I'll go through for the price of one, because 5:1 is ridiculously good value in my favour, but how that's possible within a year of ownership has me questioning how HL are going to pull this off long term...
At this stage I'd be happy to accept it's my relentless usage that has killed them all, I'll be interested to see how the two others I gave out last with more moderate usage patterns.

I also tried some weird smelling electronic cleaning putty on the threads and I gotta say Bostik Blu-tac is vastly superior

huk_huk

Hmm so I opened a warranty request and Caroline replied immediately that they will send a new body. Last time it I got my shipping confirmation 20min after the reply. This time however I still don't have it 2 days after. Also I added two me messages and it says: "not read by hopper labs yet" :(

do you think I should make a new warranty request? I can't add another message to my old request. Note I have no problem with waiting but I wonder if they forgot to send it or something like that.

edit: have coplights...
edit2: thanks a lot seems like I have to wait ^_^ at least there is a use for my other vapes now :)

Last edited:
huk_huk,

Kalessin

Hmm so I opened a warranty request and Caroline replied immediately that they will send a new body. Last time it I got my shipping confirmation 20min after the reply. This time however I still don't have it 2 days after. Also I added two me messages and it says: "not ready by hopper labs yet" :(

do you think I should make a new warranty request? I can't add another message to my old request. Note I have no problem with waiting but I wonder if they forgot to send it or something like that.

edit: have coplights...
They're probably just out of your specific part. Took weeks to get my last replacement body sent out, and they did the same thing with locking the conversation after I pestered them a few times

Kalessin,
Reactions: huk_huk

JoeMama

My blue hopper has just started flashing cop lights too.
I am away from home and didn't bring a back up, it's final hurrah was a big kief hit though so that was nice.
I wonder if my replacements will last longer, and just how many hoppers I'll go through for the price of one, because 5:1 is ridiculously good value in my favour, but how that's possible within a year of ownership has me questioning how HL are going to pull this off long term...
At this stage I'd be happy to accept it's my relentless usage that has killed them all, I'll be interested to see how the two others I gave out last with more moderate usage patterns.

I also tried some weird smelling electronic cleaning putty on the threads and I gotta say Bostik Blu-tac is vastly superior

Ah that's a bummer, Molten, sorry to hear...
But yeah, in a weird way, a body failure means a new body, and hopefully a new body means the latest revision to the bodies (we hope). Which, as you say, makes one wonder how GH can afford replacing a hopper 3-5 times a year (for example).

I have had one failure in the first month for each of my Ti's since getting them in July, but so far, the body for one and the backend for the other are working flawlessly.

And Blu-Tac is the perfect maintenance tool!

Hope you get stellar warranty service.

JoeMama

Old Boy Scout motto kicking in while I wait.
Anything else? (funnel & stand on order from Delta3D)

I1S8UL3m.jpg

Ha! Just about perfect....

You might also consider:

Tweezers for when you want to thoroughly clean the mouthpiece.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FUXH7NO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Long-stem precision cotton swabs for getting to that center contact inside the body.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014PRSVIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, FWIW, I originally bought a D2 charger, but then realized I needed more batteries in the rotation, so I exchanged it for the D4.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
As well, a couple of days and about 3 batteries later, I Blu-Tac'd just for the sake of it, and there was hardly any debris. The initial cleaning was a deep one, and I'm excited about this stuff as much as I was about Silly Putty when it came out :freak:

Yeah, but can Blu Tac do this?

iu

Anyone know if the warranty transfers if you buy it second hand? thinking of purchasing one in the classifides.

There's a whole thread dedicated to this question.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ethics-karma-and-grasshopper-warranty-discussion.21860/

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I really can't believe my hopper is dead. I've been transition to oil carts since I got my medical card in NYS but it was nice to grab a hopper or two real quick after my
medication session. Anyhow I just did a tremendous amount (some greenwave cart) I got from cali, and then 3 rips of the equal THC:CBD and 2 rips of the High THC / low CBD cart. Anyhow I digress and that's off topic.

I miss my hopper and on Friday I'm going on a trip where I'm gonna be able to get some choice stuff. I'm real upset.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
So are GH sending new parts out to ppl? I thought they'd stopped doing that and were making ppl send broken hoppers back for repair instead?

EmDeemo,
Top Bottom