Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr Mellish

My Blu-Tac arrived yesterday and I applied it to the battery compartment threads on the SS and the Ti. It really didn't come away dirty but the SS survived a 4-5 minute, uninterrupted session without the backend heating up (a first). It could be coincidental, I suppose. Maybe tonight I'll have a chance to give it another go and see what happens.

MoltenTiger

Joe, pls understand I'm not questioning anyone's voracity or contribution here, I'm just flummoxed and questioning as we all are!

The threads on a "SS" backend do develop the grey matter.
It occurs to me that maybe we should not assume that the male threads on Ti backend are titanium. The clip ring is not, that's clear.
So, I just grabbed a refrigerator magnet and it attracts the clip, ring, temp dial AND male threads on both the SS and the Ti Hopper backends (does not attract the clicker). This is a different ballgame, I believe, and I only took HS Physics. My understanding is that high grade SS is not attracted to a magnet. SS refrigerators don't accept all those cute refrigerator magnets! Yet, what I assumed was SS clip ring and clip is attracted. Btw, the brass colored battery contact is attracted to the magnet also!

At this point I have to disclose that I had two huge teeth pulled about 2 hours ago and I'm using a multi-pronged strategy to relieve the 'discomfort'. This is to say that this magnetism stuff if beginning to confuse the crap outta me but I'm gonna hit 'reply' anyway.
False assumption by me #2 - I was thinking all the threads we're Ti...
The back-end male threads seem to be SS. The female threads are definitely Ti.
Similarly, with the front end the mouthpiece is Ti, maybe the sleeve around the oven is SS too. Mine has hairline scratches that don't look Ti-esque (had a few from the box new).
None the less, Ti, Ni*, Al are all prone to galling, which I understand is the molecular shaving as like on like materials are grinded over each other. It's the principle utilised in cold welding. So it's worthwhile to clean either model GH, so the threads don't chew up and fail (there have been quite a few reports of this already, probably a mixture of this normal degradation and machine quality/tolerance^, mixed with harsh user conditions)

*ferromagnetic, thus if clip thread is attracted to magnets and is SS it has a high nickel contact so black grit city (Trying to clarify this and I think this isn't correct.. Apparently nickel makes steel non-magnetic by creating austentite structures)
None the less the SS will wear better than Ti but will not be impervious to galling

^the threads are really fine and close fitting which will mean lots of surface contact and travel.
Also if the Ti is SS on Ti, that might explain the grainy feel compared to the smoother SS on SS threads.

PS hoping for a swift recovery from brutal surgery!

Last edited:

Baron23

Joe, pls understand I'm not questioning anyone's voracity or contribution here, I'm just flummoxed and questioning as we all are!

The threads on a "SS" backend do develop the grey matter.
It occurs to me that maybe we should not assume that the male threads on Ti backend are titanium. The clip ring is not, that's clear.
So, I just grabbed a refrigerator magnet and it attracts the clip, ring, temp dial AND male threads on both the SS and the Ti Hopper backends (does not attract the clicker). This is a different ballgame, I believe, and I only took HS Physics. My understanding is that high grade SS is not attracted to a magnet. SS refrigerators don't accept all those cute refrigerator magnets! Yet, what I assumed was SS clip ring and clip is attracted. Btw, the brass colored battery contact is attracted to the magnet also!

At this point I have to disclose that I had two huge teeth pulled about 2 hours ago and I'm using a multi-pronged strategy to relieve the 'discomfort'. This is to say that this magnetism stuff if beginning to confuse the crap outta me but I'm gonna hit 'reply' anyway.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Similarly, with the front end the mouthpiece is Ti, maybe the sleeve around the oven is SS too. Mine has hairline scratches that don't look Ti-esque (had a few from the box new).
None the less, Ti, Ni*, Al are all prone to galling, which I understand is the molecular shaving as like on like materials are grinded over each other. It's the principle utilised in cold welding. So it's worthwhile to clean either model GH, so the threads don't chew up and fail (there have been quite a few reports of this already, probably a mixture of this normal degradation and machine quality/tolerance^, mixed with harsh user conditions)

*ferromagnetic, thus if clip thread is attracted to magnets and is SS it has a high nickel contact so black grit city (Trying to clarify this and I think this isn't correct.. Apparently nickel makes steel non-magnetic by creating austentite structures)
None the less the SS will wear better than Ti but will not be impervious to galling

^the threads are really fine and close fitting which will mean lots of surface contact and travel.
Also if the Ti is SS on Ti, that might explain the grainy feel compared to the smoother SS on SS threads.

thanks for the get-well!

so, as candidates for makeup of the grey matter buildup on Backend threads, we've got (in no particular order):

oxidation/corrosion, and breakdown of surface due to exposure to the environment
galling or molecular breakdown of like substances from friction
grinding dust from simple wear of the threads (again, friction, but different from galling, no?)
dirt

There may be more suspects to add to this list but at the moment I'm liking the last two.

fascinating, thank you.
cool linking.

WoodyWeedPecker

I feel like it's worth acknowledging again the use of silicone whip with a grasshopper.
If you want cool direct vapour, it works amazingly. That's my travel companion if I can't take glass

Relevant:

k4hhxcJ.jpg

I tried this with a fresh battery and a random silicone whip laying around[8]. Wow, those are some powerful cool hits. I didn't realize how much vapor i took until I exhaled a giant cloud. I usually exhale slowly and I was like "there's still vapor left!?!". I think some came out of my ears. lol The only drawback was the taste of the cheap silicone (even with a non-silicone mouthpiece). I don't remember the magic flight silicone draw whip tasting so much.

Last edited:

flyfishwino

So I cancelled my Grasshopper order, decided I'll wait until they're able to supply on demand and get my money back in my hands.
I've been following the posts, and frankly , the more I read the more confusing it gets to make the choices.
Question is
Buy a grasshopper on ebay, a guy seems to have some SS with a few cosmetic defects
or
Buy a FF2 ?
I need something asap, on demand style and portability.
Will probably add a crafty/mighty or the new CFV from Boundless down the road
Anyone have thoughts
Thx

flyfishwino,

JoeMama

Tooth pulls, yow. Feel better, Vap...

Sure, no misunderstanding here at all!

so, as candidates for makeup of the grey matter buildup on Backend threads, we've got (in no particular order):

oxidation/corrosion, and breakdown of surface due to exposure to the environment
galling or molecular breakdown of like substances from friction
grinding dust from simple wear of the threads (again, friction, but different from galling, no?)
dirt

There may be more suspects to add to this list but at the moment I'm liking the last two.

After reading and learning more about the thread composition, I'm guessing that friction is right up there if not on top of all the other causes of the Black Stuff.
They are very fine threads and the tighter they feel, the more they need to be cleaned. It's perhaps a more telling sign of the need for cleaning than guessing on clouds and temps and battery life. It's not quite a chicken-or-egg scenario... the crap in the threads is the egg and the chicken!

A thing of beauty, Baron. :tup:

jabba

So I cancelled my Grasshopper order, decided I'll wait until they're able to supply on demand and get my money back in my hands.
I've been following the posts, and frankly , the more I read the more confusing it gets to make the choices.
Question is
Buy a grasshopper on ebay, a guy seems to have some SS with a few cosmetic defects
or
Buy a FF2 ?
Anyone have thoughts
Thx

I couldn't wait for my pre-order any longer either. I ordered one from bobinthesaab on Ebay and one from VapeFiend (or whatever their name is). I love my Hoppers.

I had a FF2 prior to going with the GH. It is widely opined that the FF2 has great flavor....and I can certainly attest that the FF2 provides cooler vapor when compared to the GH. IMO the FF2 is not stealthy whatsoever...unless when you are holding your hand in the 'smoking a bowl' position you consider that to be stealthy...and with a brightly lit front end. Additionally, the FF2 requires that you stir the bowl after virtually each hit....which is REALLY not stealthy...and which i found to be very very messy and wasteful. FF2 might be ok for home use....but I found that it required some degree of skill to obtain good hits with regularity. The fact that you have to change temps using a phone app I think is absurdly inconvenient. The build quality is fair at best...particularly the piece that slides to cover the battery at the back and the wonky removable mouthpiece. I sold it after a few weeks and do not miss it one iota. My brother uses one at home and likes it...but he has very little experience with anything else, he doesn't leave the house with it, and he is a flavor chaser #1.

The GH despite its published problems...is the single easiest device to use that I've ever seen. There is nothing stealthier. It requires no stirring whatsoever. You get huge hits easily. It is astonishingly easy to clean and maintain. It is constructed very very well and feels great in the hand. I love the thing so much that I bought 2. Yes the device gets hot. Yes the vapor is hot (which is why imo the flavor is not the same as devices that provide cool vapor). If you have a good and functioning GH...it is damn hard to beat it. Your mileage may vary....Your personal use pattern(s) should determine what is best.

Last edited:
Question is
or
Buy a FF2 ?
Anyone have thoughts
Thx

It's been mentioned multiple times, but you can have a Grasshopper in under a week from Vapefiend with free shipping. You pay about $30-$40 more than you would if you ordered directly from Hopper Labs, but you get it immediately and it carries the same warranty through Hopper Labs.

https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/grasshopper-vaporizer.html?page=all

Last edited:

flyfishwino

Spinuch

4067697a8645874300205965d663bf88.png

My grasshopper almost exploded.

So, seems like I'm going to submite my fourth warranty request or whatever the fuck that means. I just switched batteries with my unit turned off and instantly I started to smell burned electronics in my room. My grasshopper got REALLY hot, like I couldn't even touch it, but I tried my best to unscrew the unit and remove the battery. My fingertips are hurting at the moment. The battery was melting and the top piece just got fucked as you can see in the picture. My room is still stinking like burned electronics btw. Honestly I'd just like a refund at this point (I don't know if that's possible, since I've already registered for the three previous warranties)

Everybody ignored me but this is what I was worried about earlier in the thread. The design of this device does not make me feel comfortable when it comes to safety.

I wanted to say something about the metals used and the threads holding up to wear and tear. If these metals have been heat treated for hardness the constant heating and cooling will make them much softer than they were originally intended to be. I doubt they were hardened but it's something to think about.

Last edited:

Pears

Got my hopper today and am enjoying it thoroughly. This thing kicks ass, I already ordered more batteries and another condom thing. Hopefully my shipment from Delta3DStudios that was supposed to arrive today comes tomorrow so I can get all my hopper goodies :)

JoeMama

Everybody ignored me but this is what I was worried about earlier in the thread. The design of this device does not make me feel comfortable when it comes to safety.

I wanted to say something about the metals used and the threads holding up to wear and tear. If these metals have been heat treated for hardness the constant heating and cooling will make them much softer than they were originally intended to be. I doubt they were hardened but it's something to think about.

I can state for myself and, much as I have a sense for others here, not everyone has ignored you, Spinuch.

I believe (or wish to believe) that though design flaws exist, it's about how many result in a failure mode that is unacceptable... @lovecrush 's being one of them, of course.

So, then, how many are there?, I'm sure we all wonder... I know it's naive to think that everyone who owns a Hopper is on the internet and talking about it, and that we'd know how many explode... but alas, we only know two or three, if that.

Then again, on our little forum here, how many Hopper users do we have? Can I say, out of 50 possible users who are at least quasi-active members, we have had one catastrophic failure of the Hopper? I think I'm way off... any thoughts?

Free shipping to the states?

Yep, free global shipping FTW! :rockon:

Not sure on the shipping, it will show during purchase though before payment is made so you could check, also the code 420 gives £10 off when you spend over £50, there is another code I think for money off a bubbler with the hopper but can't remember it (it's somewhere here not too long ago)

"HOPPERHONEY" is the code. ;)

Milkytime

So I have waited a year i got my shipping notice in August.
On August 30 after a few emails they promised it would ship next week. Here we are a month later and about 8 toxic emails back and forth I'm pretty much ready to get my money back. I have been promised they will ship so many times through email then they turn around and said nope. Worst costumer experience of my life and I really think I'm done even though I waited this long. So is it worth it guys? I'm getting anxiety over this stupid shit that was supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Now all I feel is rage and regret for going down this path. I just feel exasperated and I don't know what to do I waited all this time so it feels like a waste to cancel now but this last month of horrid CS makes me think it's going to be horrible forever and not ever get better.
Dynavap goes above and beyond for their costumers.
Boundless also seems extremely legit. So how hard is it to not fuck over your Costumers?

So is it really worth all this hassle?

Bdubbdiblets

On August 30 after a few emails they promised it would ship next week. Here we are a month later and about 8 toxic emails back and forth I'm pretty much ready to get my money back. I have been promised they will ship so many times through email then they turn around and said nope. Worst costumer experience of my life and I really think I'm done even though I waited this long. So is it worth it guys? I'm getting anxiety over this stupid shit that was supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Now all I feel is rage and regret for going down this path. I just feel exasperated and I don't know what to do I waited all this time so it feels like a waste to cancel now but this last month of horrid CS makes me think it's going to be horrible forever and not ever get better.
Boundless also seems extremely legit. So how hard is it to not fuck over your Costumers?

I always say if you lose sleep over it don't do it...buuut...

It's unlike any other vape I have (I have a vapcap and the service is supreme) but the hopper (when working) at least for dry herb and coming from a long time combuster...is a magical medicinal wand..:rockon::o

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

The way I see it, if you cancel now you will have put yourself through all this stress for nothing. You might as well stick in there at this point.

Mr. Me2

To me it's worth the wait, but I haven't gone through broken promises like you have. I did wait the customary year+ though.

And are you prepared to deal with a possible warranty claim? If that would really push you over the edge, then...

Have you been emailing Caroline directly? If not, I suggest you try that, and make sure you give her your history. I've found her to be very nice, helpful, and responsive.

Good luck!

Hammahead

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-grasshopper.18482/page-447#post-1013025

Finally... what an odyssey… nearly 5 weeks without the Hopper. 4 of which would have been unnecessary if the german retailer had just told me straight that they had no idea whatsoever how long it would take Hopper Labs to send them spare parts. Apparently not just mine, cause they are still out of batteries and mouth pieces. After a scant 4 weeks I decided to contact Hopper Labs directly and one week later I received my new back end.

I am a little torn between two positions here. Its good for anyone registering their hopper with them, as this makes for prompt, professional service. But otoh it makes their "retailers" look pretty bad, when actually these shop folks are enthusiasts who have pre-financed the production big time, as is my understanding. Well it makes their shops look cool and edgy too, so maybe they should only have offered to sell them provided they have spare parts to handle claims OR had clearly pointed out in the first place that in case of claims one should better contact the manufacturer directly.

So after having used the Focus thru a bong for a while, only now I realize how much higher the Hopper really gets me with about the same amount of weed, simply because I get it extracted in 2-3 deep tokes instead of 5-6 thru the Focus. It really is a tiny little bit like powder cocaine vs. crack. The welcome party was quite intense. To quote The Black Crowes: "Dizzy from my last night, I saw some kind of new light, woke up in a whirlwind, baby just you watch my head spin."

The new backend is obviously improved. No heat issue, turns much smoother. What I noted was that the led didn't spark up when I screwed in the backend into the body. When I screwed in the old one, this nearly always happened, and then the backend got warmer in use. So all in all I'm quite happy to be able to get all hopped up again.

Best from Hamburg
Hamma

vapviking

Old & In the Way

From where I sit, I think you should just bow out of this process. If you've lost trust that this company will fulfill obligations, there's no good reason to stay with them.
Eight toxic emails back and forth does not sound like a healthy relationship and you are the one who has the choice and power to end it. It's unclear why you felt the need to be so persistent with the communication, or why the conversation turned toxic so quickly, but if it was because of shattered expectations all I can say is, "What else is new?"
Thank you for posting your story. HL and the rest of us need this feedback. I am sympathetic to your displeasure, to be sure, while at the same time I think you may have had elevated expectations and anxiety, possibly just from excitement at the prospect of soon having a Hopper. It just may not be worth an emotional roller coaster ride.

Mr Mellish

I am very fond of my SS and Ti.

I think @vapviking makes valid points about the relationship but I'm in the camp that says you waited this long, hang in there.

Ditch it now and you'll never know what you could have had. Wait it out and you may love it. If you don't, you should have no problem selling it; and some lucky bastard jumps to the head of the line!

Hammahead

I think @vapviking makes valid points about the relationship but I'm in the camp that says you waited this long, hang in there.

^^this, because the answer to this question:

is a definite yes in my book. As in MY book. Is it a technically fully matured product? Maybe not. But true 5 seconds heat up time and endless heat while toking is pretty unique. In my eyes it can only be topped by a sublimator which is 3-4 times the price and a hassle to handle and carry. If that's what's appealing to you, there's no alternative really. If you're NOT up to get the hardest possible hit with the smallest possible form factor, you might want to think twice. There's decent gear around for a lot less money, probably better CS and definitely better availability.

Top Bottom