Discontinued The Grasshopper

JoeMama

#1 I got the Deoxit D pen in the mail today....tried it...much to my surprise....my back end no longer gets hot! You could blow me over with a feather.....serious.....the back end is cool as a cucumber after one application. AWESOME! We shall see how long it takes before I need to reapply.

#2 The SS GH that I have been using is perfect...and I got it from bobinthesaab on Ebay. Fast shipping...no problems whatsoever. The 2nd SS GH that I bought as backup came from some vaposhop in the Netherlands. I've never used the backup SS GH....but I tested it once to see that it does heat up. I would not hesitate to order from the Saab guy on Ebay whatsoever.....also referred a friend to that old auction...his is also running perfectly. I paid a bit more of a premium than current auction(s).....well worth it imo....to avoid the long and unknown wait period from HL.

Pretty excited about the deoxit D pen and my now cool back-end. Now it is official....my GH is the holy grail. Battery was fine before...curious if this will improve things. Update after more use....but as is...I wouldn't change a thing!
That's great, Jabba!

I have been using DetoxIT (Gold now that I've learned "D" is for restorative rather than maintenance - or at least the first application) for about a week now, and two days ago I felt the need to apply the Gold for the first time since doing the first "D" clean. I'd be curious how you fare.

This is the Q-Tip from my week-longish test. It was turned a shade of black/gray after wiping the mouthpiece threads inside and out. The photo doesn't really pick up how dark it is, but there are dark-colored bits in there.

xsPnDUQ.jpg

closeup of my threads:

j39BkHB.jpg

kFckjHJ.jpg

Great pics, Green. Looks like mine as well. Makes me feel like I should really take care of those threads, because they don't get "better" with use!

Have you used DetoxIT on the threads at all? Maybe its me, but it really seems to make the screwing/unscrewing feel smoother.

What @kingfisher said about the threads is right on; all those spikey edges on the threads is where the oxidation will more likely occur between.

Last edited:

kingfisher

As far as the grease being greasy.. I didn't slather it on. I merely put a tiny dab across the threads, and spread it around. Now you cannot tell it is even there because it is clear too.

I haven't tried the oxy pens but they're a neat idea. Though I would question, that it doesn't appear oxidation is the issue. I mean I could see maybe after many uses, but I think dirt and metal dust are the main problem.

I think that the grease will attract more dirt to stick. Though it should also stave off corrosion if it is occuring.

Also the stainless was probably on the border for conductivity. With respect to the design tolerance. . . Less dirt to make a problem.

Edit: just wiped all the grease off for cleaning. Perfectly clean threads now, but heat returmed. Re-applied grease and..... back end heat is gone.

Last edited:
kingfisher,
Reactions: moondog

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok holy crap I'm getting my grasshopper Monday apparently. :-). Tuesday is when I'm supposed to get the Nitecore charger. Is it safe to use the USB cable? LOL :-).

I'll also order more batteries in a few days.

newVaper420,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2

Ok holy crap I'm getting my grasshopper Monday apparently. :-). Tuesday is when I'm supposed to get the Nitecore charger. Is it safe to use the USB cable? LOL :-).

I'll also order more batteries in a few days.
Most of us use the external charger exclusively. Personally, I have never used the usb charger. There have been reports here of defective usb chargers; none that I recall recently. But I don't remember reading that any defective charger impacted the gh.

So I think you're ok to use it until your Nitecore arrives.

Happy hopping!

jabba

That's great, Jabba!

I have been using DetoxIT (Gold now that I've learned "D" is for restorative rather than maintenance - or at least the first application) for about a week now, and two days ago I felt the need to apply the Gold for the first time since doing the first "D" clean. I'd be curious how you fare.

It makes sense....but I'm still surprised at the immediate and complete results! The GH design (wireless) which uses the body and rear end conductivity....in a stainless steel body....is likely not the best conductor. That said....this 'design' is what makes the GH so awesome....form factor....build quality etc.

My device is clean....VERY clean by most folks standards....and looked near new...particularly at the back end. Despite this, the back end did feel somewhat gritty when threading on/off to change a battery. A tad micro bit of that Detoxit and the back end feels like butter when threading on/off. It is really quite a shock to have a hot back end each and every pull....only to apply a touch of this Detoxit....and have immediate 100% results. It seemed like a snake oil remedy to me personally.....but I can attest. I have seen the light praise Hopper....follow me to the promised land my people....all hail the conductive greasing agent!

After noticing zero chemical smell and seeing how little is required...I did rub the pen tip to the positive side of the battery prior to inserting the battery into the body. I also applied an equal tad bit to the rear end of the battery (after cleaning it thoroughly) and prior to replacing the back end. Whatever it takes.....wazzammmm....cool back end.

I do not think that the Detoxit is working for this application as the product is intended. I had no corrosion (at least not visible corrosion) on my very clean hopper. I think that the Detoxit just simply fills the gap on and between the threads when the back end and body meet....providing a much higher degree of conductivity between the battery, body, and back end. The conductive grease being discussed here surely does the exact same thing and probably lasts longer....but surely would attract more dirt and bits when compared to the Deoxit. I applied so little that I can't even see it.

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I'm trying to decide how many batteries to buy LOL. I'm thinking I'm getting 2 (one with it, and one extra), so I'll either order 2 or 3 more.

I like Ratchett's case but it's a bit out of my budget now. I need to find something cheaper, so either I'll pick up the leather sleeve, or something like that. I wonder if it would fit in my apple pencil case LOL.

newVaper420,
Reactions: moondog

kingfisher

I'm trying to decide how many batteries to buy LOL. I'm thinking I'm getting 2 (one with it, and one extra), so I'll either order 2 or 3 more.

I like Ratchett's case but it's a bit out of my budget now. I need to find something cheaper, so either I'll pick up the leather sleeve, or something like that. I wonder if it would fit in my apple pencil case LOL.

Get lots you won't regret. I have 10 now and felt like the 6 I started with was not enough for more than 1 day.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I don't foresee this replacing my cloud at home. So I feel 4 or 5 batteries should be sufficient. Plus I have a mighty as well LOL :-)

I'll probably wind up listening to you though LOL

newVaper420,

JoeMama

It makes sense....but I'm still surprised at the immediate and complete results! The GH design (wireless) which uses the body and rear end conductivity....in a stainless steel body....is likely not the best conductor. That said....this 'design' is what makes the GH so awesome....form factor....build quality etc.

My device is clean....VERY clean by most folks standards....and looked near new...particularly at the back end. Despite this, the back end did feel somewhat gritty when threading on/off to change a battery. A tad micro bit of that Detoxit and the back end feels like butter when threading on/off. It is really quite a shock to have a hot back end each and every pull....only to apply a touch of this Detoxit....and have immediate 100% results. It seemed like a snake oil remedy to me personally.....but I can attest. I have seen the light praise Hopper....follow me to the promised land my people....all hail the conductive greasing agent!

After noticing zero chemical smell and seeing how little is required...I did rub the pen tip to the positive side of the battery prior to inserting the battery into the body. I also applied an equal tad bit to the rear end of the battery (after cleaning it thoroughly) and prior to replacing the back end. Whatever it takes.....wazzammmm....cool back end.

I do not think that the Detoxit is working for this application as the product is intended. I had no corrosion (at least not visible corrosion) on my very clean hopper. I think that the Detoxit just simply fills the gap on and between the threads when the back end and body meet....providing a much higher degree of conductivity between the battery, body, and back end. The conductive grease being discussed here surely does the exact same thing and probably lasts longer....but surely would attract more dirt and bits when compared to the Deoxit. I applied so little that I can't even see it.

Yeah man, DetoxIT is a clear winner. I've taken to using a little toothbrush after applying a drop on the threads to get it really well-spread since I use so little.

Like @kingfisher said, same here. I've actually bought a 4x charger to replace my dual one because I don't want to run high-duty on just two or three batteries.
But having a cool backend amounts to what seems like 20% more battery, more vaping.

MoltenTiger

Get lots you won't regret. I have 10 now and felt like the 6 I started with was not enough for more than 1 day.
I don't doubt anyone would regret getting lots of batteries, but it's not really necessary unless multiple people will be using the vape.
If it's just personal usage, I think 5 total would be plenty for near constant use (as long as a charger is handy).
The batteries don't take that long to charge, certainly less time than a chamber has effect.
With two hoppers I'm finding 2 batteries and the included chargers nearly ample.

I brought both hoppers to a party last night, left them on a table next to my matrix sidecar and returned some time later to find a pretty big bowl of ABV. Most people seemed fairly impressed with the hoppers and the whole concept of vapour bongs.
The GH just makes the whole ordeal effortless and easily approachable.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

Hammahead

Still shocked... friday nite, my Hopper just broke... I turned the temp switch back and forwards and it made a little crunching noise and it just came off, that is the upper part with the clip. I can put the single parts together as they were and stick them back into but it would come off again just by touching it. So I'll have to send it to the importer hopefully tomorrow to have it repaired asap. Man, do I miss it. A little too much to be honest though. I do the same amounts of weed in my other vapes but its not the same effect. So I do "a little" more. Plus a little more wax. With the effect that I am more baked and kind of enjoy it less. Some food for thought maybe...

Also my Firefly is in repair since a good week. Why does it always rain on me, is it because I lied, when I was seventeen? Oh man, that wax makes me whiny and melancholic. Soo glad I have the Focus now...

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Still shocked... friday nite, my Hopper just broke... I turned the temp switch back and forwards and it made a little crunching noise and it just came off, that is the upper part with the clip. I can put the single parts together as they were and stick them back into but it would come off again just by touching it. So I'll have to send it to the importer hopefully tomorrow to have it repaired asap. Man, do I miss it. A little too much to be honest though. I do the same amounts of weed in my other vapes but its not the same effect. So I do "a little" more. Plus a little more wax. With the effect that I am more baked and kind of enjoy it less. Some food for thought maybe...

Also my Firefly is in repair since a good week. Why does it always rain on me, is it because I lied, when I was seventeen? Oh man, that wax makes me whiny and melancholic. Soo glad I have the Focus now...
Hamma,

So sorry it's pouring on you there. On the bright side, now your Focus gets to come in off the bench and shine.

Baron23

Yeah, I have Google. The link you gave me shows a plethora of products. :worms:

I tried googling "which product did @kingfisher use to fix his Grasshopper". Unfortunately Google didn't have the answer for that question. :shrug:

Hence my original request for more detail. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) :peace:
@Vapor_Eyes that was a smarmy response from me and I do apologize. It was undeserved.

virtualpurple

My hopper (warranties once already) is still functional but the LED lights basically don't work at all. Every once in a great while they may function but mostly I get no lights at all.

Does anyone run into this and have they ever fixed it besides shipping it in?

I try to keep real current with this thread but it seems to accumulate posts quicker than I can catch up!

virtualpurple,
Reactions: Thcgos

jabba

Not so fast. My Deoxit D 'cure' for the hot back end was short lived. A few tries and 100% absolutely the back end heat issue disappeared.....but hot back end has just as quickly reappeared. There is no doubt that something about the application of the Deoxit remedied the hot back end...but it is not a full time cure for the ailment....at least not in my case.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Now that you can buy mouthpieces I kind of want a blue hopper with a bronze mouthpiece.
Coming soon to a cable channel near you: "Pimp My Hopper!"

Who knows what crazy color combinations those wild weed worshipers will come up with next?

:popcorn:

moondog,
Reactions: AJS

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
My hopper (warranties once already) is still functional but the LED lights basically don't work at all. Every once in a great while they may function but mostly I get no lights at all.

Does anyone run into this and have they ever fixed it besides shipping it in?

I try to keep real current with this thread but it seems to accumulate posts quicker than I can catch up!

Sorry to hear this. Personally, I'd love a Super Stealth GH model, with disabled LEDs. At least a way I could turn the LEDs on/off manually. It must be annoying to not have an indication for low battery, etc.

Vermy

Just checking to see what the wait times are like now? I had an order for 3 hoppers that I cancelled back in December and now wanting one again.

Vermy,
Top Bottom