Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr. Me2

Okay... I think my gh is shitting the bed. First issues last night. More testing is needed, but I don't remember others with this.

I turned it on and went from red and almost immediately to blue. I pulled and all lights went out.

This happened a bunch of times and never seemed to heat up.

I tried removing the fresh battery and wiping its contacts. I also twisted the temp setting back and forth several times.

I seemed to get a more normal heat up then but when I pulled I got blue flickering lights.

More testing later today. Hopefully it was a one time glitch.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mr. Me2,
Reactions: Gregori

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
Okay... I think my gh is shitting the bed. First issues last night. More testing is needed, but I don't remember others with this.

I turned it on and went from red and almost immediately to blue. I pulled and all lights went out.

This happened a bunch of times and never seemed to heat up.

I tried removing the fresh battery and wiping its contacts. I also twisted the temp setting back and forth several times.

I seemed to get a mote normal heat up then but when I pulled I got blue flickering lights.

More testing later today. Hopefully it was a one time glitch.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

When that happened to me only a new body fixed it. And before the arrival of the new part, it started working again after some cleaning with iso/rotating batteries and waiting some hours/days, before it died again.

MoltenTiger

Now that you can buy mouthpieces I kind of want a blue hopper with a bronze mouthpiece.
A blue hopper with a plain Ti MP looks really slick - and direct connection to glass won't scuff the colour off.

The colours get marked easily, but do look really nice. The matte feeling finish is really nice too.

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: moondog

barnardbarnard

@Mr. Me2 sorry to hear that and it was all going so well!

The second fault I experienced was with the lights but they stayed red and would not turn blue - went back for repair new back end fixed it. I would imagine although not an identical fault this is what you'll be needing.

Hope you get it working again soon I feel your pain (as I am sure many others do too!).

Best of luck!

virtualpurple

Sorry to hear this. Personally, I'd love a Super Stealth GH model, with disabled LEDs. At least a way I could turn the LEDs on/off manually. It must be annoying to not have an indication for low battery, etc.

I agree with you there! I would love to be able to turn off the LEDs, but I don't like that they've decided to stop working and it's otherwise out of my control.

It is getting kind of annoying having to listen for my hopper to start making repetitive clicking sounds

virtualpurple,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I agree with you there! I would love to be able to turn off the LEDs, but I don't like that they've decided to stop working and it's otherwise out of my control.

It is getting kind of annoying having to listen for my hopper to start making repetitive clicking sounds

This reminds me of the original vapexhale cloud "the ticker", in more ways than one

LOL.

Anyhow, I have come to the realization that I'm not spending money on deoxit to keep this thing working unless recommended by Hopper Labs. I have enough vapes in my arsenal, including a Mighty that if it needs to go in, I'll ship it away. Lifetime warranty is a huge deal.

Somehow though, I know in my gut we are going to get screwed. Ala, we have fixed all the issues with the grasshopper in the grasshopper 2, upgrade for this fee :-). Anyhow that's just wild speculation on my part, but it's happened to me in the past with a different vape manufacturer (actually it happened twice with the same manufacturer)

MonkeyTime

This reminds me of the original vapexhale cloud "the ticker", in more ways than one

LOL.

Anyhow, I have come to the realization that I'm not spending money on deoxit to keep this thing working unless recommended by Hopper Labs. I have enough vapes in my arsenal, including a Mighty that if it needs to go in, I'll ship it away. Lifetime warranty is a huge deal.

Somehow though, I know in my gut we are going to get screwed. Ala, we have fixed all the issues with the grasshopper in the grasshopper 2, upgrade for this fee :-). Anyhow that's just wild speculation on my part, but it's happened to me in the past with a different vape manufacturer (actually it happened twice with the same manufacturer)

If they fix the conductivity issues and the upgrade fee is reasonable, I'd be all over that! Reasonable however, is a matter of perspective lol. 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of new sounds about right....

Al..

My hopper has just stopped working for the second time. Red and blue flashing lights and no heating up
:-(

Al..,
Reactions: AJS

WoodyWeedPecker

I have my hopper only for a couple of weeks now. I've made a couple of posts already. I'm still in the process of experimenting with it. I know it's far-fetched but I would love this unit to have a Power Adapter/battery implement like the MFLB and Mini-Vap. Since the hopper is an 'on-demand convection full temp spectrum' vaporizer, it's very fun to use at home but it's hard on the batteries and I need to switch them often even using it with the usb power cable. I would sure buy the power adapter if it was available. The MFLB power adapter that I have is very popular. Both have batteries which last 2-3 bowls when new, so having a power adapter available to use at home is a must.

My back end does get pretty hot during use especially when the unit is blinking blue. My back end threads are clean and well screwed in. Hopper Labs offered me to send it back to see if the heat of the back end "is in the acceptable range or needs to be replaced", but I decided to hold on to it to see what I can do on my side. I will especially monitor the battery life. I'm even tempted by the deoxit or other such products but didn't look into it yet.

This unit is great fun for me because it allows you to tailor the temperature to your own need and it's full convection. I'm still in the process of trying to pinpoint the best temperature for me for small bowl size. I almost microdose but I still want to have many good tokes from the same bowl (sometimes spread out over the day). At the moment, I'm temp stepping: Starting at 3.2, take as many tokes as I can at that temp, then move on to the 4.5-5 range to finish the bowl. The hopper is almost a perfect vaporizer for temp stepping since there's no delay when changing temp while with others vaporizers you need to wait a few seconds or more before they reach the new temperature.

I've gotten used to the draw resistance especially considering my ABV looks beautiful. Alternating between the LSV, E-Nano and Hopper offers me 2 completely different drawing technique. With the LSV there's no draw resistance but you need to slow down your draw to vaporize your herb. The E-Nano draw resistance (mid-low) almost guide you to the perfect drawing strength. With the Hopper, there's a higher draw resistance compared to the LSV or E-Nano but you can rip it as hard as you can. Very useful for a portable unit and quick hits on-the-go.

The ABV looks fantastic. It varies well in color according to the temperature. The ABV looks always evenly vaped without stirring but I guess I often stir it by slightly tapping and shaking the unit. Sometimes I tap the herb down with a stick to experiment.

I like the feel of the unit in hands. It feels solid, innovative and powerful. I feel like holding an advanced piece of machinery and engineering. Thus far, very easy to maintain. Didn't notice any increase in draw resistance since I have it. I give it a quick brushing every other bowls. Didn't use iso yet beside to clean the threads (for prevention).

Last edited:

JoeMama

At what points I should apply the DeoxIT? Also on the thread or the golden contact plate only?
Some other tips for using DeoxIT?
Kerm, start around page 439 and work your way a couple of pages. Basically it's the threads at the backend as well as the contacts, yes, but the threads are going to be primary due to the nature of contact.
I can only say that my inputs are suggestions that seem to work well for me, so far.

JoeMama

I've been enjoying the hopper, still fighting myself on the best way(s) to use it, but bottom line is, the healthier (cooler backend) you keep it, the better it is.

I believe that I'd wiped off the application of DetoxIT-D too soon (as in, "immediately"). They recommend a little wait-time after application, depending on the condition of the contacts of course. But nonetheless, I leave it on for about a minute or two now before wiping.

I emailed CAIG to ask them - based on how we use it here - if there is a limit to how much or how often it should be used. Though I'd typed that question into Google, the only answers concern their spray-can products. However, in their knowledge base, they don't seem to caution anywhere about "overuse". We shall see... I'll post their answer about frequency of application.

(( I still use the D-Solution but only on the threads. IMO the threads are an electrical obstacle course for electron flow, and oxidation has a field day on them. Methinks this is why there is barely anything on the "contacts", but the threads are constantly filthy with it if you check. Therefore the D is used on the threads and the G is used on the contacts. And I use the D twice a week so far. If I find out it's not a problem to use it more, I shall. ))

AND, I did not know this, but DetoxIT-Gold is applied and not wiped off! :whoa:

slatihe

Bummer. Silver hopper stopped heating on Friday. :cry:

New front end is supposed to arrive by Wednesday. :science:
And mail the old one back upon receipt.

Maybe we used it too much, lol. Replaced the nano, hi, mighty, and milaana for a while... A solid month.

Well... Really can't complain. Pretty fast response. Still have green hopper and milaanas... And logs after *gasp* 2 whole excruciating minutes of waiting for warm up.

Lol. What's waiting? :D

JoeMama

Bummer. Silver hopper stopped heating on Friday. :cry:

New front end is supposed to arrive by Wednesday. :science:
And mail the old one back upon receipt.

Maybe we used it too much, lol. Replaced the nano, hi, mighty, and milaana for a while... A solid month.

Well... Really can't complain. Pretty fast response. Still have green hopper and milaanas... And logs after *gasp* 2 whole excruciating minutes of waiting for warm up.

Lol. What's waiting? :D
Again, sorry to hear when this happens; but I'm REALLY glad know everyone with issues like this are being taken care of.

I just dropped by hopper from about 4 feet to a wooden floor, the fall of which was only broken by a chair-leg crossarm. It turned itself on. But I cannot believe the force of impact on its clicker (assumed) could have mechanically driven it to that state. I clicked it again and it went off. Still works. So far.

UnshavenFish

AND, I did not know this, but DetoxIT-Gold is applied and not wiped off! :whoa:

Actually reading the instructions it seems you don't wipe either off, the d series only mentions to wipe it after a few days if a greenish or blackish colour develops (dissolved contamination) and then re-apply after.

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: moondog

jabba

@newVaper420 thanks a ton for the link! I have been trying to deny my need for my 3rd GH, but now I don't need to anymore. Fuck waiting, I should see mine by the weekend. I waited 2 years for the first 2....
Nice!

I now will have my brand new SS Hopper for sale which I'd kept (but never needed) as a backup to the SS Hopper that I've been using. By Thursday I will have my current SS AND a new Ti. I had originally intended to have both SS and Ti...so this is great. I no longer need the backup SS that I never even used once. Unfortunately...with today's prices....I will lose a bit of money when I sell it. Them's the breaks.

I predict that the Ti will be my daily driver...and my used SS will serve as backup.

buckhakeesah

Thank you to the people that referred that link a few pages back for quick access to try a new hopper. Mine arrived today. Ordered on Saturday. Wanted it now badly, have a preorder as well that I am waiting on. Very excited to see the results of this thing. The product is legit for those on the fence. I ordered TI but first impressions after opening it is "did he send me a stainless? I guess I dont have both to compare metals. I only tested, did a pre warm up to make sure it works, all good so far. Front end/chamber got hot quick, quite impressive and I now see hot how the vapor is. I think I can handle the heat and should do fine as intended. Fingers crossed on how long it will last. I test fitted my kfirrer case. Its a nice fit, hopper doesn't move or jiggle at all on both the sides (hopper side and battery compartment side) It's a great portable 3D printed hard case from what's available on the market and decent price for his efforts and hard work that went into designing it. Will share my experience after I get to rip one on it tonight.

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Actually reading the instructions it seems you don't wipe either off, the d series only mentions to wipe it after a few days if a greenish or blackish colour develops (dissolved contamination) and then re-apply after.
Not to argue, but the Deoxit D pen I just got says to apply, wipe and continue until the cloth is clean, reapply and leave.

Haven't had long with my Ti that arrived today with the Deoxit, but I really like it.

Like everyone else, I think the unit itself is a fine piece of machining. It heats up instantly, no rear end heat (yet?)

I was a little disappointed in the pen clip, seems likely to have a much shorter life than the rest of the unit. I was also less than excited to see the temp dial and markings, these old eyes can't see them as well as hoped. Guess a lot of the pictures did it justice!

Really excited to see how I get along on two batteries while I get to know her better.

Don't think I'll need both of the units still on order, but we'll see...

JoeMama

Hmmm... Well their website and their tech support who I've just spoken with say the D is to be wiped off, and even after "overnight" if oxidation is heavy". The G is to be left on.

They just called me on my cell rather than answered my email:

They said DetoxIT D is OK to use often. They acknowledge that it is "unusual" to have to, but after describing the threads and the way they look (thanks @Vapor_Eyes and @greenextinguisher ) under magnification, they can understand how atypical this scenario is.

But, anyway, There is nothing wrong with frequent use. It isn't going to eat my hopper!

Far as it suits my use... it's a weekly regimen of the D solution on the threads and the G-solution on the contacts.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok I got my eBay grasshopper from earlier. That was incredibly fast. I did 2 sessions with it already and I am ripped. I did one regular through the mouthpiece and one through my Evolver Hydratube. I have registered the warranty already, and am excited to begin my journey with it. It's an amazing device. I mean, really really amazing.

I have placed an order for 3 extra batteries, 2 extra mouthpieces and a leather sleeve. LOL.

I'm not sure if it's an older unit or not, and I think I saw somewhere that serial numbers don't necessarily correspond to production but I'm GT003xxx. As mentioned above it registered no problem.

Anyhow, back to how amazing this thing is, it really does feel like a portable cloud. I think the Cloud Evo is slightly better in extraction. I dumped a load out of the Grasshopper and it was slightly less dark then the Cloud Evo (but again I don't know what temp my Evo is running on). And I am on the high end of the spectrum. And I'm also high in general. Hahaha sorry for rambling.

Holy shit, this grasshopper is amazing. I think I need a nap. LOL. I am very very very impressed. Color me impressed to the max.

I think my lineup is now complete. Mighty, Grasshopper, Cloud Evo, and E-Nano are the main staples.

Sweet!

Edit: Wow! I love the USB charger! I'm getting my nitecore tomorrow, but this included charger is really slick!

Last edited:

UnshavenFish

Not to argue, but the Deoxit D pen I just got says to apply, wipe and continue until the cloth is clean, reapply and leave.

No argument bud, guess I just got confused by my instructions :tup:

Hmmm... Well their website and their tech support who I've just spoken with say the D is to be wiped off, and even after "overnight" if oxidation is heavy". The G is to be left on.

I don't have the pen and I only read the instructions on my packs...
(Lost some detail resizing pic to fit screen)

Seems my instructions are a little short...

After checking their website it does say to remove excess leaving a thin layer, to me that means we are not wiping it all off just any drops that could run, I haven't used it yet so I could just be confusing myself here and maybe even if you try and wipe it all off it would leave behind a thin layer :shrug:

I think I just took "wipe it off" too literally, it's late here I'm pretty baked and covered in fibreglass wool so I'm itching like a scabby dog, anyway apologies for my confusion :doh: :D

Radiocitysuicide

Ok I got my eBay grasshopper from earlier. That was incredibly fast. I did 2 sessions with it already and I am ripped. I did one regular through the mouthpiece and one through my Evolver Hydratube. I have registered the warranty already, and am excited to begin my journey with it. It's an amazing device. I mean, really really amazing.

I have placed an order for 3 extra batteries, 2 extra mouthpieces and a leather sleeve. LOL.

I'm not sure if it's an older unit or not, and I think I saw somewhere that serial numbers don't necessarily correspond to production but I'm GT003xxx. As mentioned above it registered no problem.

Anyhow, back to how amazing this thing is, it really does feel like a portable cloud. I think the Cloud Evo is slightly better in extraction. I dumped a load out of the Grasshopper and it was slightly less dark then the Cloud Evo (but again I don't know what temp my Evo is running on). And I am on the high end of the spectrum. And I'm also high in general. Hahaha sorry for rambling.

Holy shit, this grasshopper is amazing. I think I need a nap. LOL. I am very very very impressed. Color me impressed to the max.

I think my lineup is now complete. Mighty, Grasshopper, Cloud Evo, and E-Nano are the main staples.

Sweet!

Edit: Wow! I love the USB charger! I'm getting my nitecore tomorrow, but this included charger is really slick!

You're lucky. I got GT0028 and I didn't get the new resistors.

Radiocitysuicide,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes
Top Bottom