1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Holy shit. Your story is almost identical to mine. They had mine since February. Got it in July. Had 3 days. Day 3 no more heat up and could not vape anything. Just instant blue light. They sent me replacement body. I tried that. 3 days later. Combusted load and was scorchingly hot. Definitely very dangerous. :-(

So I sent both bodies back and the rest of the stuff. And now they told me 3 months LOL :-)

2. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Very fair. But why not both. I'm high as shit now thanks to my pen bought retail.

It's a very nice vape. Certainly happy with it beyond most I've got, had or tried. Especially when I'm across state. It's not been out that long, HL might as well stick around until some other people tackle a similar product. I doubt they'll have an easier time. All the recent portable vape launches have sounded iffy to me, and they're not even close to a viable alternative on their best day to a hopper.

It's the best retail product in its category, but indeed that means nothing. In terms of a weed device for a frequent habit, it's done me extremely well. Current RMA status is terrible - but only because the product has potential

3. wild anchovy

wild anchovy whilin out

That’s how it seems to me. I certainly haven’t seen another portable vape that is as fast, efficient and portable as the grasshopper - besides the mflb honestly. But that has its own cons and I still not as stealthy because it doesn’t look like a regular pen.

Owner of 6 different vapes and most are redundant. The grasshopper is where it’s at, in my opinion. I’d happily get rid of most all my vapes for a working hopper.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  4. nonbeliever

nonbeliever Well-Known Member

Yep. And that there is the rub. Having a working hopper. For me it’s been the two month tease almost constantly since I got my original early bird SS and Ti. Works for a few months then off for RMA. Even two down at once several times.

When it’s working, it’s amazing. Then there is the rest of the time. Kind of like summer in Seattle. Lol

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  5. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Well. The spare body I ordered came. And it was fantastic. Until today when randomly I just get a quick red blip and then it turns off.

When it works. It is the hardest hitting vape ever. But I’m kind of sad that I can’t get a functioning one. Just like everyone else I guess.

6. Rel2018

Rel2018 Active Member

Mine stopped working too.
    No vapor and green abv.
    2.5 months old.

Now it just left me confused.

So where do I find a reliable, powerful, fast, tasty, easy to use with a bong, and if possible a pen ?

I can handle the disappointment but what’s next ? Fierce ? ( which was supposed to be released in June...)
    G-pen ? Crafty ? Any of these compare ?

Should i learn how to make wax and how to use atomizer ? Would it be worth it if I get 30 g a month ?

Help please :hmm::huh:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    MoltenTiger and kbrown5523 like this.
  7. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

would like to see a hopper with a "quick release" battery compartment but I wait for the reliability first :p

8. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Sadly, as I expected, those bodies failed above.

The problem is, it can’t be the best if it never works. I’ll take second best if it works reliably all the time.

I have another trip to San Francisco is October. I’m not even gonna try to bring the Hopper. I’ll take my chances bringing my Mighty. LOL

Edit: the other problem I have a big issue with is they are selling faulty components. Selling faulty bodies is real ridiculous. They should have never done that

9. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Well-Known Member

This is what I've finally settled on unfortunately. It's definitely not the best because it doesn't fuckin work lol.

10. wild anchovy

wild anchovy whilin out

Hahaha ^

newVaper420 likes this.
  11. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Mine still working! :|

Kinda bummed people still have issues with this catch22

Has anyone opened one up? I've seen it talked about. But maybe we can better diagnose what's going on if it's out in the open. Temps too high?.. I feel like the spring inside my backend if not alined right causes misfire and sends power elsewhere ... Idk . I'm planning on figuring out what's wrong when it breaks but if it ain't broke don't break it so until then I can just be bummed with you guys and feel guilty mines working well

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Just to try to be completely fair...my OG Ti Bronze GH worked wonderfully for 18 months before giving up the ghost. Run it all day long at 4.2 on the temp dial and get beautiful and even AVB without ever a hint of combustion even at 5 on the temp.

Now, I'm not going to go over the various cock-ups for the RMA, posted that earlier and its not new news (LOL).

My two GH do now work....but not as strongly as before the repair and if put on level 5 I get flickering blue when hitting (if just a tad lower than 5, the blinking goes away...go figure). AVB...meh. Yes, I can extract with it but is it as strong of an extractor as prior....no, it is not.

So, here is my question....how the frak can Hopper be claiming to have improved their test lab capability yet still be putting out GH and repairs with inconsistent heating performance? How does that happen?

We have some people with combustion, some people with cold running GHs, and some that's just right (sounds like Goldilocks, eh? sigh).

The product is either not testable sufficient to ensure consistent performance or they are just fucking it up.

I don't know which but either is rather sad at this point.

I used to have complete confidence in my GH but no longer feel that way. Yeah, it works but...not like before.

Cheers

13. Rel2018

Rel2018 Active Member

@mario - Is it still milking now ?

I have a couple questions if anyone can help:

1. Just received the nitro charger - how do I know if the batteries are faulty ?

2. Did anyone try an iso bath and had their hopper fixed ? ( mine is giving almost no vapor at all )

As mentioned above, I just received the nitro and some glass with 14mm female, hopefully I didn’t order those for nothing

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  14. btka

btka Well-Known Member

ok my gh is hold by the customs... and I got mail from tbe customs today..

they claim::

1.) that the price declared on the package is not right., therefore they searched for hopper vapes in the intenet and found a vendor and found out they selling new hoppers for 225 euros (they also attached a screenshot). but I bought only a replacement body which costed 90 dollars and not a new hopper. whave to send them paybal bill and so on.

2.) hopperlabs declared on the package that they send me a vaporizer part. BTW IN EU COUNTRIES IT IS FORBIDDEN TO IMPORT FROM ABROAD E-Cig RELATED STUFF AND IF THE PACKAGE DECLARES THAT A VAPORIZER IS IN THE PACKAGE, THE CUSTOMS IMMIDEATELY THINK IT IS S7METHING E CIG RELATED... HAPPEND ALSO WITH THE NEWVAPE FP (BECAUSE THE NAME NEWVAPE ON THE PACKAGE MADE THEM THNK IT IS SOMETHING E CIG RELATED) So NowmI also have the to tell it is not e cig relatedmand that you can not use it for e-liquids and so on... what should I tell them. My plan is to tell them it is a herbal aromatherapy device and you can only use it with herbs and not e-liquids and that it is not a e-cig which it the truth...

15. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

That should be perfectly enough to justify it. Been to customs so many times and never had any problems.
    I always bring old invoices for previous shipments cleared through customs. Then the customs officers will be happy, because they will be able to calculate everything more easily and will not have to search.

KidFated., Vapor_Eyes and btka like this.
  16. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

@Kermitt if there wouldn't have come he new EU regulations on e-cig/vape (?) related stuff in the meantime.

@btka I'd say the same. But you have to aware that they'll say "Herbs? Ok, tobacco also are herbs!" Then you could get in trouble getting your device.

btka and KidFated. like this.
  17. mario

mario Well-Known Member

So when I got it, I set it to 5 and ripped it through my bong hard. It milked it great, but when set to 5 it also combusted the material somewhat. After a few hours of use, it now flashes red and then shuts off completely.

Now directly before typing this message, I sent them an email asking about how to return it since it was DOA. While I was typing the above sentence, they replied to my email saying they would send me a new one and please return the broken one when the new one gets here. They responded FASTER than the auto response came through my email. I'm a little shocked to be honest, but there it is.

So my original body doesn't get hot after the initial second of being on. I think it heats and then the heater shuts off basically instantly even though the lights stay on. The second body, incinerated material when set to 5 and only lasted a few hours before breaking completely.

I guess now we wait and see what the replacement brings. When it was working for those few hours though, my god, when i set it to 4 and pulled it through glass, it blew my mind and sent me straight to the moon. So I can't complain about what a working hopper can do. Also I should mention that regardless of which body I have on the hopper, my back end never got hot. So I think I can at least say that the cap and button are solid, I just haven't been lucky with my heaters. *shrug*

18. wild anchovy

wild anchovy whilin out

That’s the way to do it, send the new one out and then send your broken one back. That should be standard practice with all companies, in a perfect world I guess.

Vapor_Eyes and Rel2018 like this.
  19. Rel2018

Rel2018 Active Member

Thanks for the update!
    Good news for you!
    I should get one too mine’s brand new...
    And yes, I agree with you about how good it is. I’m just asking myself how much more I can spend on and around it...

MoltenTiger and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  20. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes tripping off the beauty of it all

Then there is the third group of people like me who have had mostly reliable units. There are others like me who post from time to time. I have one SS and one Ti and have never been without a working Grasshopper. I have also never had an RMA take more than two weeks to receive my repaired hopper.

That’s just my personal experience, I’m not trying to discount anyone else’s experience. I have read the whole thread and am all too aware of the problems surrounding the hopper. I had a few issues with customer support two years ago, back in the Caroline days, but they’ve been nothing but helpful and responsive since.

I have no allegiance to the hopper or any other vape for that matter, all I care about is performance. If there was another portable that could match the performance and size I would have no problem leaving my hoppers behind. But in 2+ years since I’ve owned it there’s still nothing quite like it on the market. I’m actually in the process of paring down my VAS-induced collection to the basics and the Grasshopper is one of the ones that are staying, for now at least...

slcbdco, kbrown5523, Baron23 and 5 others like this.
  21. btka

btka Well-Known Member

sorry guys this is in german .. I know @Hogni knows german:

1b.
    „elektronische Zigarette“ ein Erzeugnis, das zum Konsum nik
    otinhältigen und nikotinfreien
    Dampfes (Nebels) mittels eines Mundstücks verwendet werden kann, oder jeder Bestandteil
    dieses Produkts, einschließlich einer Kartusche, eines Tanks, und des Gerätes ohne Kartusche
    oder Tank; elektronische Zigaretten können E
    inwegprodukte oder mittels eines Nachfüllbehälters
    oder Tanks nachfüllbar sein oder mit Einwegkartuschen nachgeladen werden,
    1c.
    „Nachfüllbehälter“ ein Behältnis, das eine nikotinhältige oder nicht nikotinhältige Flüssigkeit
    enthält, die zum Nachfüllen ei
    ner elektronischen Zigarette verwendet werden kann,
    1d.
    „pflanzliches Raucherzeugnis“ ein Erzeugnis auf der Grundlage von Pflanzen, Kräutern oder
    Früchten, das keinen Tabak enthält und mittels eines Verbrennungsprozesses konsumiert werden
    kann,
    1e.
    „verwandtes Erzeugnis“ jedes neuartige Tabakerzeugnis, pflanzliches Raucherzeugnis und die
    elektronische Zigarette,

I will try to translate it (the important parts):

1.b says e-cigs which are used to consume nictonine or nicotine free steam (fog) with (via) a mouthpiece and all parts realted with e-cigs e.g. tanks and so on... e-cigs can be a disposable product or can be reloaded via a tank... (more or less)
    1.d herbal products for smoking: a product on basis of plants, herbals or fruits which does not contain tabacco and which is consumed by combusting processes.
    1.e realted products - every new tobacco product, herbal products for smoking and e-cigs.

is more or less forbidden to import for private persons (use)

so I am thinking of stating to them that it is not a e-cig because you can not use it with e-liquids, concentrates and so on. I will say it is a herabal aromatherapy device which you use with dry herbs.
    so we come to point 1.d i will state that it is not able to combust herbs, because the temp is below combusting. 1.e again it is not a e-cig you can not use it with any liquids with nicotine or nicotine free

or shouldn´t i go in to much detail and only tell them it is a herbal aromatherapy device and no e-cig

any other suggestions?

for your own security tell hopperlabs not to label it as a vaporizer (maybe as an herbal aromatherapy device) especially when you are located in EU. Because if you have luck and the customs will take a deeper look at you package and they will read something with vaporizer on the package they will believe it has something to do with e-cigs. as far as I can remember you was afraid of this happen to you and asked me what I would do or did.. As mentioned before I had similar problems with my newvape flowerpot because of the name newvape on the package... but it was much easier to tell them that it has nothing to do with e-cigs because of the form of the showerhead and bowl I told them it is a herabal aroma therapy device where you put herbs in the bowl and it act like a potpourie device...

hope I can sort that out....

IF YOU ORDER FROM HOPPERLABS (OR BUYING ANY VAPE FROM ABRAD) TO EU MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING DECLARED AS A VAPORIZER OR SOMETHING SIMILAR WHICH CAN CONFUSE THE CUSTOMS AND LET THEM THINK IT IS SOMETHING E-CIG RELATED!

BTW I WROTE HOPPERLABS AN E-MAIL REGARDING THIS PROBLEM! BUT I WOULD ALSO MENTION THIS PROBLEM WHEN ORDERING OR RECEIVING A NEW OR WARRANTIED GH!!!!!!!!!!

KidFated. likes this.
  22. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Thats the way I felt, but I didn't expect them to actually handle it that way. I expected them to tell me to send my entire device in so the new body could be tested for faults or whatever. I didn't expect an immediate response for replacing it.

I was pretty depressed when it didn't turn back on yesterday. A properly working hopper became my favorite on demand vape instantly. I love my vapcap, but the Hopper just wrecks so fast. So I'm pretty excited to get a new body and try again. I know it sounds crazy to keep hoping and supporting, but it is such a good product when it works, it seems worth it to me to stick it out.

23. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

I'd tell them it's just an aromatherapy device to vape salvia for your respiratory system and it's not suitable for e-liquids.

24. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

I sent customs a copy of the invoice off Hopper Labs website, a copy of my paypal payment and a short form customs declaration calling it aromatherapy device. Went thru totally easy, no prob. If they have doubt about the intended purpose, I would refer them to Hopper Labs website where they're claiming it cannot (!) be used with any liquids (ruling out e-cigs) and it can only reach temperatures way below what's necessary to combust or vaporize tobacco (that would be +280°C/536°F)

As it's just a spare part that cannot work on its own, I wonder if customs-wise it's not just an electrical part. No idea if that would be helpful though...

Vapor_Eyes and btka like this.
  25. btka

btka Well-Known Member

customs did not realize that it is a part (a spare replacment body) although it is declared on package as vaporizer part (that is why they think it is something e-cig related. They searched for grasshopper on the internet and saw that a gh cost over 200 dollars... they even send me a copy of the webside with photo where they find it (but it is only the spare replacment body which I bought). If it would be a e-cig part it would be forbidden to import. Yeah I think we have to thank the tobacco industry lobby in EU for this BS law.... and the gh is even not a e-cig... I will declare it as a aromatherapy device (inhalator) that is what it is...

MoltenTiger likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors