Discontinued The Grasshopper

seriousTone

Sounds like they’re doing everything they can and it’s ashame the parts or breaking for whatever reason. I imagine for them it’s very frustrating.
I feel for them. I’ve worked two manufacturing jobs, both for rifle companies. One was very popular and couldn’t keep up with demand - people were waiting on parts and orders for 6 months to almost a year. Very frustrated customers and I would have been too but it wasn’t like they were sitting around not cranking out parts almost 24/7 like people for some reason assumed. By their name you would think the company and machine shop was larger but CNC machines and employees are expensive and it takes time, plus to quality control it.

I think Hopper Labs is similar...actually I know they are. They created a company from nothing not too long ago and have to build it up and it takes time and money.

I don’t work for them just spewing my opinion from my experiences. Don’t own a hopper but I’m hoping they work out the kinks in the coming months and catch up so I can finally order one.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Early on Hopper Labs needed to send out beta units to a lot of folks. Yes, a vaporizer for free. Find out where the problems were. Then they could have suspended manufacturing before they started selling these units. After finding the problems they could have started up again. They should have been better made to begin with. It was a product that was not ready for prime time.

Hopper Labs promised too much too early on. They wanted the money folks were sending them for their start up company. All those folks spending $100 got a vaporizer early on. You were paying to be a beta tester. Now three years later, they are still trying to get it right. It’s been a frustrating experience for all.

I don’t think mine was made with their new system. Mine was fixed in Oct. I use my GH occasionally. Mainly when I need stealth. I will assume it will fail eventually then I will send it back in. I know the overhead cost of continuing to send units in probably put a major dent in any profits. We are on year three with all this.

Last edited:

nonbeliever

I got this today from Hopper Labs.

header.jpg

Hi Carol,

Thanks for taking a minute to read about our latest progress and developments. In July we successfully sustained a combine 200 units a week of assembly and warranty. Our new heating component assembly line is operating smoothly paving the way for higher volumes in the coming months, and the addition of more automation is making the whole process faster.

Our primary goal for the coming months is to increase the throughput to service warranties and new orders more quickly. We already succeeded in ramping up production of the new in-house processes to a base level. We now are pushing to add 5-10% to that capacity every two weeks. There are easy gains by having the existing machines operate for more hours each day and complex ones including the addition of further automation.

auto.f949d7e223fd.png

Over the last nine months, we have scaled up our efforts to automate the process. We have drastically reduced manufacturing errors and increased throughput without adding overhead cost. Two current projects involve using custom vision systems to detect part orientation and then perform a task on them and advance to the next part. We now have machines operating that handle much of the testing and sub-assembly.

There has been a delay with machined parts coming in. We currently hold a sizable inventory of 98% of the metal parts required to assemble the unit but have been waiting on two small items necessary to finish assembly of some devices. If you are waiting on an order, this is the holdup. We have been pressuring the, and these parts are expected to arrive in 20-30 days. Until that time we have a small supply source that is providing components resulting in slower assembly times.

The rate at which the backlog of warranty is being serviced is primarily limited to the number of techs we can afford to employ. We are working to make the process faster and ensure they have the available parts needed to fix units. To be fair to everyone we always try to service units in the order they were received. We know this can be frustrating which is why we have made thebody component of the device available for purchase. If you need help determining if a new body can help with your hopper issue, please contact support. Although the intro price is now over, we are offering 15% off these through the weekend to allow anyone who needs one to get it for a discount.

Use code: body15
Here is a quick breakdown of what devices are shipping now.

Stainless Hoppers - Currently servicing March-April Orders due to the parts supply shortage. Expect to be moving faster on these units in the next 30 days.
Titanium Hoppers - Almost entirely caught up.
Color Hoppers - Depends on the color. Generally serving April-Current.
HT Hoppers - 2 to 3 days ship time when available.

Accessories - We are currently only out of Bronze and Blue PFEs which are expected soon.

Stainless Case and External Charger - Current estimations are October and/or the end of the year. Design and development are complete we are working on production and packaging for these products. Priority of labor is still being given to warranty and assembly speed.

Visit Our Website

Boulder, CO

I must say, I don’t know if this newsletter made me feel better or not when I read this. Without a doubt the customer service experience has improved immeasurably over the last month or two, but I’ve actually grown tired of being frustrated by them talking of timeframes that don’t materialize, tired of reading about it, and tired of waiting for it. Having grown tired of something is just not good.

EDIT: in fact, apparently it leads to VAS. A new brand is being added to my now a collection. Is this what happens to you guys? :-)

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I have two issues:

In my RMA, I specifically complained about these notices, since they aren't really true. Yet, they still sent it to me. Don't you think, they should have removed me. LOL.

Anyhow, i get why they didn't but I would have.

Secondly,
Titanium Hoppers - Almost entirely caught up.

How are they almost entirely caught up if they are telling me 3 months for my return of my titanium hopper? LOL

By the way, still no answer to my message.

Hawk

Sounds like they’re doing everything they can and it’s ashame the parts or breaking for whatever reason. I imagine for them it’s very frustrating.
I feel for them. I’ve worked two manufacturing jobs, both for rifle companies. One was very popular and couldn’t keep up with demand - people were waiting on parts and orders for 6 months to almost a year. Very frustrated customers and I would have been too but it wasn’t like they were sitting around not cranking out parts almost 24/7 like people for some reason assumed. By their name you would think the company and machine shop was larger but CNC machines and employees are expensive and it takes time, plus to quality control it.

I think Hopper Labs is similar...actually I know they are. They created a company from nothing not too long ago and have to build it up and it takes time and money.

I don’t work for them just spewing my opinion from my experiences. Don’t own a hopper but I’m hoping they work out the kinks in the coming months and catch up so I can finally order one.

Sorry, but no excuse for a company that after 5 years still cannot put out a reliable product or implement proper customer service.

Every few months we get an email from them saying the exact same thing about how more reliable the hopper is and how they are cranking them out faster. But the fact is nothing has changed at all, we still have just as unreliable a product and customer service still sucks.

And lets not mention the SS Case that I paid for 5 years ago and still doesn't exist!

Hammahead

How are they almost entirely caught up if they are telling me 3 months for my return of my titanium hopper?

What I understand here is they nearly caught up shipping new orders of TI hoppers but are still behind in warranty servicing, which is to my understanding what you're waiting for.

I got the same email and found it was a pretty huge step in the right direction. Way off still, but heading towards the light.

SmokeyTheBeard

My SS Hopper was in for RMA from November 2017 to May 2018 because it wasn't heating up like it was previously. When I got it back in May, it still didn't perform like it used to and now the red light flashes and goes on and off if there is a battery in the Hopper while the Hopper is off.

mario

What I understand here is they nearly caught up shipping new orders of TI hoppers but are still behind in warranty servicing, which is to my understanding what you're waiting for.

I got the same email and found it was a pretty huge step in the right direction. Way off still, but heading towards the light.

I think there are 2 distinct groups in the thread from my reading of it. There is a group that has RMAs still out there from forever ago that haven't gotten them back yet or are in some sort of RMA cycle. The updates are not going to make those people feel better and understandably so. I agree that people right now with outstanding RMA's should just be sent new units and then be done with the entire thing.

Then there is a group that has bought the Hopper POST what they have been revamping. So we have gotten newer units and faster than people that have been waiting for them for a long time. So the update emails are good signs for us since we see the company moving forward in a good direction. We haven't been waiting around for 2 years to have a working device.

So I think all the different views on it are valid.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I think there are 2 distinct groups in the thread from my reading of it. There is a group that has RMAs still out there from forever ago that haven't gotten them back yet or are in some sort of RMA cycle. The updates are not going to make those people feel better and understandably so. I agree that people right now with outstanding RMA's should just be sent new units and then be done with the entire thing.

Then there is a group that has bought the Hopper POST what they have been revamping. So we have gotten newer units and faster than people that have been waiting for them for a long time. So the update emails are good signs for us since we see the company moving forward in a good direction. We haven't been waiting around for 2 years to have a working device.

So I think all the different views on it are valid.

And a third group waiting for accessories like the steel case and charger - the former that has been in development almost as long as the Hopper itself. These guys are treading water at best and don’t run business and supply chain very well. Their customer service has improved a bit but their marketing and communication is meh at best.

Peace.:peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: KidFated.

mario

Agreed. I am hoping that basically bringing all the machining in house is basically a reboot for them as a company. Whenever that battery charger becomes real, I am totally getting one. Thing looks sick as hell :)

Vaporific

Agreed. I am hoping that basically bringing all the machining in house is basically a reboot for them as a company. Whenever that battery charger becomes real, I am totally getting one. Thing looks sick as hell :)
Is it really better or more cost effective than 3rd party chargers? Perhaps faster charging but you gotta wait for it to be released or available. I have a couple of Nitecore’s that work just fine however I’ve received a couple of bad batteries from HL...

mario

Honestly, it's all looks for me. Their battery charger looks a lot better than the ugly nitecore that I have on my desk. And I know that it would be USB C which would be a plus.

nonbeliever

It still sticks in my craw that many of the RMA units are from their early supporters, yet their early supporters are at the back of the bus when it comes to provisioning and support. Between my 2 units, i’ve had 18 RMA’s. I just don’t think it’s right to prioritize new ones while making your existing customers wait months and months for their units to be repaired. I’m not sure that will ever wash off for some.

Vaporific

If you think of this forum being a sample size of total Hopper owners - and I'm not sure if it falls between minute and small or small and slightly larger than that - you would think someone from Hopper Labs would post occasionally to provide some sort of support, guidance or encouragement. Hell, even drop some marketing or promotional content on us. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. They're scarcely around on here if at all, unlike some other forums on FC. Well, at least the other one that I regularly follow. It's like night and day, lol.

Vaporific,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I just wanted to pop by and say I've had my hopper in since December 4th 2017.... Still there folks... Still there.... It is a Green Ti. Not sure where they get off saying "almost completely caught up on Ti RMA's..."

seaofgreens,

mario

Back to report with the Spare Body that I purchased to solve my heat problem.

And yes, it instantly better. I cranked it to 5 and nearly combusted the bowl because I had it on for too long. It milked the bong instantly and it was the hardest hit I have ever taken. It was amazing. There is no doubt that there are few things in comparison to a working Hopper. I am hoping that it lasts, because this thing is amazing.

Vaporific

Who spoke about RMA's? All I read out of their newsletter is "orders".
But waiting 9months for a RMA is worth to remember them for sure
Sorry you've been waiting that long. That's what I'm worried about: sending my pre-order Ti in for service for the first time (I had the front end replaced due to threading issues). It's like you throw it into the abyss and hope it comes back let alone work as optimally as it should. However I don't have a dry herb backup - yet. A Fierce is being ordered soon :)... and then the Hopper goes in for service.

Vaporific,
Reactions: Hogni
Top Bottom