Discontinued The Grasshopper

Baron23

I see where you’re coming from but it’s not just a regular combustion issue.

Obviously I’m frustrated so my wording was harsh but I think justifiably so.

I’ve been a big supporter of Hopper Labs but like many I’ve had numerous failures & more than one front end looking like this.

If the problem was just herb combusting in the chamber as you say it wouldn’t be a huge issue.

That’s happened to me before, I simply lowered the temperature & kept using it until it eventually failed & the chamber melted down like this one.

Several have also had offgassing problems & I’m not sure if this is the heater cooking itself but this is definitely making its way to my vapor.

I’m a non smoker so the smell & taste of foreign substances in vapor is very obvious & leaves me feeling unwell if I inhale. This is no exaggeration.

Generally combustion in most vaporizers with glass or metal vapor paths is not a issue, however this one has a shroud of plastic insulation wrapped around the chamber.

That insulation has a tendency to fail if there is a combustion incident & this is something to be careful of when using a Hopper.

I feel is this is a big health & safety issue & it would be irresponsible of me not to warn people.

I won’t argue the point because you’re welcome to believe otherwise & I do appreciate your opinion.
Ok, I must have misunderstood badly and owe you an apology. And I didn't see any images but that's been flaky on the site lately so...

You are saying that the device itself melt/burned/combusted? Not the load, but the device?

If so, have you pulled the battery out? Did it start there with a overheated, perhaps on fire, battery?

Cheers

skyvaper

So my ti hopper will only continuously heat on red and never turns blue. It combusted on me while l was sneaking a hit. Luckily I had a smoke buddy to blow into. My SS flashes red briefly then nothing. Playing with the dial eventually gets it to work but it's a complete hassle. The hopper in my experience is just as reliable as before. It's not.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This update announces some new HT Hoppers available today, and... they are there, looks like 8 of them, ready for immediate shipping.
A regular Ti is listed as 1 week 3 weeks (one week was on the site yesterday!) out, and a SS as 4 weeks out.
So which ones are they saying (in the update) will be 60 days out? Or do they mean all these lead times will be fully minimized within 60 days?
I currently have 2 friends who want to make the transition from combustion to vaping, but I don't want to sell them on Grasshopper until, at minimum, SS units are available for immediate shipment and rma's are being turned around faster. Because my friends are light users, I may just steer them towards the Crafty.
Here's the update I received yesterday.
Note that the SS Case and New Charger have been pushed out another couple/few of months to Q3, '18

June Update

Two months ago we released the State of the Hopper blog post which outlined the manufacturing issues and resulting problems with the Grasshopper. We presented a timeline for what had happened so far and what was to come. In the last 60 days, we have made meaningful progress towards our goals in both repairing units and shipping new orders. We averaged throughput of 220 units per week as the new production lines continued to ramp up. This includes serviced units. Our customer service department and warranty departments have both made tremendous strides in keeping up with inquiries and getting responses out quickly. Most importantly the rate of device failure has plummeted.

jQDvHzYRNXxal1tTdAX3b4gT42R-D0evWvz17J14s-Y8zrO3B0jNqZgfoodIqbKOX3mp7nsC_iBYt0TQfHZjSAa9laGe8_RdavFsbG1DVN3byEjLWN1PSaCCVyA=s0-d-e1-ft

Our current goals include reaching a production capacity of 500 units per week, improving our customer service, and increasing overall satisfaction with our products. For those currently waiting on a new Hopper or service on a Hopper, we sincerely appreciate your patience as we work to deliver. We understand and relate to the process being frustrating as we want to get you these items more than anyone. Delivery has had some stop-n-go as our production lines are still gaining momentum. We expect outstanding orders to be cleared in the next 30-60 days and warranties to be caught up in the next 120 days.

We currently have two items that are still on pre-order and have already been significantly delayed, the Stainless Case and the External Battery Charger. Hopper Labs has nearly completed both these items, and the designs are with our manufacturers for CNC machining and injection molding. The electronics and software are finished, and testing has been ongoing for the last few months. As our core product has become more stable, we are pushing these projects forward to completion. The delivery date has been estimated many times, and we wish to combat Hopper Lab's overoptimistic timeframes. Our current estimation is delivery will happen in the 3rd quarter of 2018 with more accurate updates to come along the way.

We will be releasing a new batch of the Heat-Treated Grasshoppers and PFEs today. A 5% off in-stock accessories for the 4th of July Holiday starts now with the code "Middlefork."

Thanks for checking in with our short newsletter.

FAQ:

What email should I use to contact Hopper Labs?

The best email for contacting Hopper Labs is support@grasshoppervape.com.

I have an order that has been delayed past its delivery date. Why is that?

Orders from January, February, and March, were delayed due to a 3rd party manufacturing issue. You can read about that here. More recent orders have either shipped on time or been delated due to an unexpected parts shortage caused by the need to upgrade many of the units in the Warranty department. These parts have been coming in from our manufacturer at a steady rate, and we expect to be caught up on order in the next 30-40 days.

We have been using our Instagram to put out small shipping updates. Please check out our story to receive weekly information. @grasshoppervape

Thanks for checking in on our quick update.

5% off all in-stock accessories when you place an order in the next 5 days.
Code: Middlefork

Last edited:

Baron23

Just like to say my Ti Bronze, w the RMA silver body (sigh) is working GREAT. Performance is Just like when I first got it.

The on off switch sometimes needs to be pushed more than once (never had that before) but that’s perhaps operator error?? Dunno but until my bronze body arrives, I’ll just keep on rocking the silver body.

mario

Been using mine for a few weeks now. Purchased May 22, received June 16th. Brand new Ti unit.

It is functioning flawlessly. Great clouds and hits at 3.25 - 5 easy. Never gets too hot to use and the back end stays completely cool. The button is smooth and the dial is smooth.

It has yet to even come close to combusting anything, the charger charges the batteries fast and I haven't had an odd flickering of lights at all. I am absolutely loving it. It is basically my OmniVap except without the lighter. It's amazing.

Also I have trusted it enough for it to my only vape for a few weekends now, and I have to say it has done just fine. At first I was worried so I always had my mighty with me too, but not anymore. Mighty is for home use, Hopper is for mobile :)

Just my experience so far.

DelaSheck

My back end is now getting too hot to touch, and of course with all the battery heating that back end up, I am getting really no vapor.

I have RMA'd it 2x already, but this is the first time the back end has become a branding device. In my last RMA in November they stated they replaced some internals.

I am very hesitant to send it back since GH Labs is stating 120 days (4 months for a repairs???) and that is a long time to wait. i guess just send it and forget about it till Thanksgiving. But first they need to respond to my service request.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
My back end is now getting too hot to touch, and of course with all the battery heating that back end up, I am getting really no vapor.

I have RMA'd it 2x already, but this is the first time the back end has become a branding device. In my last RMA in November they stated they replaced some internals.

I am very hesitant to send it back since GH Labs is stating 120 days (4 months for a repairs???) and that is a long time to wait. i guess just send it and forget about it till Thanksgiving. But first they need to respond to my service request.
Try cleaning the back end threads and the threads on the body where the backend connects too. Good luck.

Scarpvape

Hello everyone. I’ve been lurking and following this thread for years now. On and off within last year so. But always coming back. . This is my first post and love the community here so fellow greetings to everyone!!!!!

I had a great working unit till dec 2017. They received my unit dec 19th. I can’t believe I still don’t have my unit back. Everytime I have contacted them, got the same run around and repetitive excuses. I fought my urge to get frustrated and just waited. Here I am almost 7 months with no hopper, and begun to lose my sense of humor about all of this. So I log into my account on their website to find that they “fulfilled and closed” my warranty request June 25th!!!!!!!

I was never notified!!! I checked my email n junk folder daily and never got anything except the quarter updates and alerts about their blogs. Has anyone else had their RMA “fulfilled and closed” without any progress?

I immediately contacted them through their support email address and not only squeaked but I made up for all the time that I was gentleman when they definitely didn’t deserve such vast understanding and good faith. Trying my best to be mature about this, but I’ve just become quite tired of the nonsense.

barleecat

I am very hesitant to send it back since GH Labs is stating 120 days (4 months for a repairs???)

Barely 2 months ago they sent an update email stating they’d be caught up on RMA’s by July..now it’s July and they’re saying another 4 months! Plan on at least 6 months!!

At this point I doubt they’ll ever get caught up on RMA’s or actually get these things working properly...

They’ve been at this for 5 years now and still can’t make them work right or get their Customer Service in order :hmm:

elykpeace

exVASted
Can one just get a custom clip engraved. 50 bucks for the new backend which seems to be a lot of people's problems. (Hopefully they are the most recent version and they aren't just selling old back stock as "new versions"

In that recent email

"More recent orders have either shipped on time or been delated due to an unexpected parts shortage caused by the need to upgrade many of the units in the Warranty department. These parts have been coming in from our manufacturer at a steady rate, and we expect to be caught up on order in the next 30-40 days."

I thought they brought all these manufacturing processes in house. This is why there has been a long wait.?? What are they still having made elsewhere..

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Stainless steel arrived today from warranty and it's a completely different vape with scratches all over. I'm pretty disappointed but at least it (seemingly) works okay. The back end has deep terrible scratches and the body has some light ones that aren't so bad.

Edit: Still get flickering blue lights. Requested to cancel my blue Ti "regardless of its current status."

Definitely not giving up on the Grasshopper but I won't be waiting for something I've already paid for for an undetermined amount of time when in reality it probably isn't going to work right no matter how long it takes.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm the guy who went on a forced t-break that lasted for a year, and here's my Hopper Update.

My two hoppers (one SS and one Ti) were received new in early Aug. '16, after a 1 year wait. It was love at first draw. I had purchased 4 but had given two away as gifts.

Over the next 10 months, each one of my two went in for service 5 times, so 10 total rma's and I never got too frustrated; the postage was cheap and turnaround on all those rma's was fantastic, like 1 to 3 weeks.

Then, a major upset happened in my life and I put all away for what turned out to be a year.

My fast was broken about a month ago and the Hoppers came out to play in the sunlight. I especially note that all 7 of my batteries were at 85%-100% charge levels after all that time, and all seem to be working just fine, lasting at least one bowl if not more, though I haven't made a specific study of them.

One Hopper had a hot back end before, and that is still the case, though it does produce proper vape, etc.

So, including time before the 'fast' and adding recent use, I have one with about 4 months and one with about 3 months' use without repairs. I can only hope they hold out until the dust settles at the ol' Lab.

Side note, my Mighty (over 3 years old) was also put away for the year. Upon resurrection, its' batteries were totally depleted, but came back to full charge. The only noticeable change was on the led screen itself, some of the battery charge indicator lights are faint, though I can see them, especially if viewed from a low angle. This may be because it was put into an unheated space through the winter. But, as a surprise and a bonus, upon removing the chamber cover, I found a very appealing full bowl had been waiting all the while for my return. My break had be initiated under very hasty circumstances!

Last comment on my break, or rather, the return from the break; I have realized that I had been waaay over-consuming due to lack of will power. Now, I'm still getting very toasted but using much, much less than I used to go through. I'm actually enjoying the process of being ultra-conservative, and I hope I can keep it up. The main difference is lots of dollars in the pocket.

Cannabiker

This update announces some new HT Hoppers available today, and... they are there, looks like 8 of them, ready for immediate shipping.
A regular Ti is listed as 1 week 3 weeks (one week was on the site yesterday!) out, and a SS as 4 weeks out.
So which ones are they saying (in the update) will be 60 days out? Or do they mean all these lead times will be fully minimized within 60 days?
I currently have 2 friends who want to make the transition from combustion to vaping, but I don't want to sell them on Grasshopper until, at minimum, SS units are available for immediate shipment and rma's are being turned around faster. Because my friends are light users, I may just steer them towards the Crafty.
Here's the update I received yesterday.
Note that the SS Case and New Charger have been pushed out another couple/few of months to Q3, '18

June Update

Two months ago we released the State of the Hopper blog post which outlined the manufacturing issues and resulting problems with the Grasshopper. We presented a timeline for what had happened so far and what was to come. In the last 60 days, we have made meaningful progress towards our goals in both repairing units and shipping new orders. We averaged throughput of 220 units per week as the new production lines continued to ramp up. This includes serviced units. Our customer service department and warranty departments have both made tremendous strides in keeping up with inquiries and getting responses out quickly. Most importantly the rate of device failure has plummeted.

jQDvHzYRNXxal1tTdAX3b4gT42R-D0evWvz17J14s-Y8zrO3B0jNqZgfoodIqbKOX3mp7nsC_iBYt0TQfHZjSAa9laGe8_RdavFsbG1DVN3byEjLWN1PSaCCVyA=s0-d-e1-ft

Our current goals include reaching a production capacity of 500 units per week, improving our customer service, and increasing overall satisfaction with our products. For those currently waiting on a new Hopper or service on a Hopper, we sincerely appreciate your patience as we work to deliver. We understand and relate to the process being frustrating as we want to get you these items more than anyone. Delivery has had some stop-n-go as our production lines are still gaining momentum. We expect outstanding orders to be cleared in the next 30-60 days and warranties to be caught up in the next 120 days.

We currently have two items that are still on pre-order and have already been significantly delayed, the Stainless Case and the External Battery Charger. Hopper Labs has nearly completed both these items, and the designs are with our manufacturers for CNC machining and injection molding. The electronics and software are finished, and testing has been ongoing for the last few months. As our core product has become more stable, we are pushing these projects forward to completion. The delivery date has been estimated many times, and we wish to combat Hopper Lab's overoptimistic timeframes. Our current estimation is delivery will happen in the 3rd quarter of 2018 with more accurate updates to come along the way.

We will be releasing a new batch of the Heat-Treated Grasshoppers and PFEs today. A 5% off in-stock accessories for the 4th of July Holiday starts now with the code "Middlefork."

Thanks for checking in with our short newsletter.

FAQ:

What email should I use to contact Hopper Labs?

The best email for contacting Hopper Labs is support@grasshoppervape.com.

I have an order that has been delayed past its delivery date. Why is that?

Orders from January, February, and March, were delayed due to a 3rd party manufacturing issue. You can read about that here. More recent orders have either shipped on time or been delated due to an unexpected parts shortage caused by the need to upgrade many of the units in the Warranty department. These parts have been coming in from our manufacturer at a steady rate, and we expect to be caught up on order in the next 30-40 days.

We have been using our Instagram to put out small shipping updates. Please check out our story to receive weekly information. @grasshoppervape

Thanks for checking in on our quick update.

5% off all in-stock accessories when you place an order in the next 5 days.
Code: Middlefork

Thanks for posting. I just got this same notice (I think) today. It seemed appropriate that I received a June update from HL in July. Not only was it late, mine didn't work--the update won't open on my computer. So I really appreciate seeing it here, especially the part where it says that orders through March were delayed, but more recent orders are shipping on time. I placed mine April 21. I'm still waiting. So I guess "Sometime in the next 30-40 days" is the best answer I'll get.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I got the same 'empty' email today, actually there was a photo with a link to the homepage on web. But I also, two days ago, got the one that I posted above.

Their updates always sound to be a month behind, like, the June update arriving in beginning of July. It's just another quirk in the way they experience time. Or language.
It might make more sense if they called it the June Wrap-up Report.

elykpeace

exVASted
@duff Had to look it up. Didn't realize it was a real word and not sure if that was the intended word.

verb (used with object), de·lat·ed, de·lat·ing.

Chiefly Scot. to inform against; denounce or accuse

I guess it works? Lol

Edit: More 350$ ht hoppers available... These guys need cash flow obviously why would they waist time heat treating these
.... Maybe spend that free time responding to emails and ensuring hoppers are returning to paid customers in excellent (working) condition:ko::ko:

Thebigsmoke

Hi folks I was supposed to but a stainless steel hopper last week but had a family emergency and put it of a few days and when o went to buy it they were sold out. Instead I'm going to buy a ti version it's working out at £177 and the vendor will cover it's warranty for the first 6 months them I'm at the mercy of hopper labs. Can you folks give me some advice. I'm having trouble finding spare batterys in the UK all the major sites are sold out I can only find them on hopper labs page can any UK owners who have bought batterys from hopper labs give me postage price and timeframe if you can recall.

I will also be using it dry on lunch breaks and I don't want to use the silicone cover as I would imagine they stink after a few uses so would the mouthpiece be to hot to take draws at medium temps every few minutes and would buying the PFE help me in this case.

Mr. Me2

I will also be using it dry on lunch breaks and I don't want to use the silicone cover as I would imagine they stink after a few uses so would the mouthpiece be to hot to take draws at medium temps every few minutes and would buying the PFE help me in this case.

It should be fine. Just place your lips above the tapered part of the mouthpiece. I don’t think you’ll need the PFE for your planned use. Save your money and spend it on some of @Ratchett’s gh accessories!

Thebigsmoke

@Thebigsmoke I will send you a brand new Fury 2 across the ocean, free of charge to save you from the heartbreak that is Grasshopper 2018. I am not taking a piss! (hope I said that correctly).
Lol that's very kind of you. Every portable vape I have owned(A few pinnacle pro's.6 vivante alternates and 2 pax 1) has broken in a weeks to months except for my pax 2 which I just find to smelly and having folded screens and pushers to be to much hassle for my needs.mostly because they were all me and my girlfriend's daily constant hitters but last year we purchased a DBV for home use and havnt looked back we just leave it on all day and hit it when needed. Since then my portables get used once a day on my lunch break and I just need something that can heat super fast and deliver a few hits when needed and not have a hot oven cooking in my pocket if that makes sense. And in the 5 or 6 years i have been vaping unfortunately the hopper is the only thing that comes close to these needs at least until concentrates are easily available for me and I can use a candy pen lol

Top Bottom