Discontinued The Grasshopper

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
well my saga is continuing... lost my first hopper that after 3 RMA's was a solid machine. so i bought a new hopper on 6/21/17 and on 6/24/17 it arrived. i was amazed how quick it came. was using it and loving it from the day it arrived till today. Backend was getting hot so i tried the fix of rotating the temp dial back and forth and the backend exploded on me. parts popped out all over the place. i tried to put it back together but alas my efforts were futile. just went to their website and filled out a warranty request and get an email to expect a reply in 3 to 7 business days :( so very sad again. glad i have backups

JoeMama

Yes, I was quite surprised when I got so much more flavor from the hopper. I run my hopper at 3.5 all the time and the FW4 at 2 or 3 - usually 2.

Who knows? It's all magic!

Well I think you have excellent taste in current devices, Moon.:cool:

I just happened by as well to scroll around and see if anything is new. It isn't.:rofl:

I used to use T2 for the FW4, but I generally let it sit at T3 now; I seem to get fuller flavor; nothing as intense as the Hopper, 'course.

The flavor with the new front end is very noticeably better imo. I think it has edged this vape to the top of my rotation at the moment because of it. I also used to get a bit of a headache feeling because you had to really suck hard through the standard mouthpiece. Now it is just free-flowing and amazing flavor the whole way though. I still think you need a bit of glass between the mouthpiece and your mouth or the vapor profile still comes across as harsh and hot. But with that separation... damn.

Agree with ya, there... the PFE allows (IMO) an easier draw at a lower Temp, and/or even a shorter draw; and I surmise that this affects the taste quite a bit.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
These guys cannot even make a working product, and you trust them to make it medically safe? Plus aren't these parts made in China? I'm not sure, but I thought so.

Thing tastes like crap and the reliability is worse. It is not ready for retail, yet they sell it.

BTW, I always used a water pipe and temp 4.5.

These guys are going to fail, and all your warranties will be useless. It's the bitter truth and you all know it.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
These guys cannot even make a working product, and you trust them to make it medically safe? Plus aren't these parts made in China? I'm not sure, but I thought so.

Thing tastes like crap and the reliability is worse. It is not ready for retail, yet they sell it.

These guys are going to fail, and all your warranties will be useless. It's the bitter truth and you all know it.
I think eventually if something doesn't change you might be right, but they've got plenty of time to straighten things out (if that's even possible) before that happens.

snaffle

Reliability and safety are quite different. They stated that safety was a high concern for them, and I don't see any reason to not trust that they executed on this. Certainly their original designs didn't take into account the various real world failure modes, and they're still working on fixing that, but that doesn't mean they were universally incompetent - after all they did engineer a vaporizer that (when it works) is easily one of the best in the world. I thought all of their machining was done in the USA, but maybe I'm wrong.

I know I'm new to this forum, but one of the things that drew me was the excitement of sharing cool new things, ideas, and techniques. I don't come here looking for negativity. Criticism is fine, sharing bad experiences is fine, but @Icon13 your post struct me as something else. Sure, HopperLabs has made plenty of mistakes, and some people are rightfully upset at the reliability of their vape and the repair process, but I we're all on their side, hoping that they succeed and keep getting better and better.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

If you don't trust that it's safe and you do think it tastes like crap, then it makes me wonder why you continue to use it.
Edit:
Hey, very sorry about that, @Icon13 , I missed the "d" in the word "used". I now see it's past-tense.

Last edited:

Hammahead

Backend was getting hot so i tried the fix of rotating the temp dial back and forth and the backend exploded on me. parts popped out all over the place. i tried to put it back together but alas my efforts were futile. just went to their website and filled out a warranty request and get an email to expect a reply in 3 to 7 business days
Exactly what happened to my Hoppy as first failure. They shipped me a new backend and asked me to send the broken one upon receipt.

This thread made me sentimental, I still think the Hopper is probably the greatest vape of all, but the tiny form factor (which is nothing I'm personally looking for) apparently still comes at a price, which kind of makes this a unique thread on the FC forum. Highest appraisals of all and way more complaints (in my book still too many) about day-to-day reliability. I wish they'd make a bigger, more stable version with that powerful, instant heat technology they got there. I'd gladly accept a form factor up to like an Arizer Solo.

MonkeyTime

Exactly what happened to my Hoppy as first failure. They shipped me a new backend and asked me to send the broken one upon receipt.

This thread made me sentimental, I still think the Hopper is probably the greatest vape of all, but the tiny form factor (which is nothing I'm personally looking for) apparently still comes at a price, which kind of makes this a unique thread on the FC forum. Highest appraisals of all and way more complaints (in my book still too many) about day-to-day reliability. I wish they'd make a bigger, more stable version with that powerful, instant heat technology they got there. I'd gladly accept a form factor up to like an Arizer Solo.

It was the size idea that drove them to the wireless model which I contend is about 1/2 the problem. The other half is the heat sensor, or more likely it's position relative to air inlets.

The rest I figure to be one-offs and not very consistent.

Mine goes back in for its 4th RMA today, maybe 50-60 total bowls thru it. Despite its battery and small bowl, I'm still sure it would play a large roll in my use if it ever worked. Come on HL's, find me some working parts!

MoltenTiger

Mine works and tastes really nice. People often note how nice it tastes. It's all relative and subjective, but my working unit enables easy enjoyment. Enjoyment great enough to warrant the small expense I've come to expect for upkeep. That's the variance that divides the user base: I've got hundreds of chambers, many ounces of product between a few faults over 18 months. I can afford much more than I'm spending to keep enjoying it so I choose to keep enjoying it.

I had a hopperless chunk of this year where I was using my EQ, which to me is very muted in flavour and unimpressive relatively. I took this travelling for a catch up with the boys down south, and one of the guys who was toking up was ecstatic about the flavour 'it tastes just like herbs! It's amazing, like an oregano or something' he was all about it, he was adement about getting a vape, I'll have to catch up with him again soon to reconvince him/lend my EQ. I had A+ Chocolate Kush, which is nearly all gone now :( but it was great giving a demo with such a response.
The GH on the other hand is full fledged flavour wise. When I had my first hit with the PFE through a Seed of Life glassworks tube with a full chamber of reasonable grade Cheese. It was awesome, nothing short of amazing and had me grinning ear to ear saying fromage. As my mate said 'when it tastes like that, you know it's a good vape' and that was through my second least favourite glass piece from ages ago. Temp stepping causes later hits to taste partially spent, which I agree is not great. When I tried a Mighty after hoppering for a month or two, I was disappointed that the Mighty was nicer and the flavour lasted longer. But I want my vape to kill a bowl in one hit, which I can almost do with the GH and probably not much else (pathetic really).
After cleaning my SS PFE with PBW the other day, I got a decent wiff of stainless from it. Perhaps this would be strong enough to taste, it shouldn't do anything though. I opted for titanium for its properties and biocompatibility was one of three I had in mind beyond thermal and heft.
I'm super glad I got my hoppers, even though I'm a bit fed up with reading the nonsensicals that surround it (r/grasshoppervape). FC has maintained a level of discussion that's never existed there so let's leave it so

Last edited:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
I know I'm new to this forum, but one of the things that drew me was the excitement of sharing cool new things, ideas, and techniques. I don't come here looking for negativity. Criticism is fine, sharing bad experiences is fine, but @Icon13 your post struct me as something else. Sure, HopperLabs has made plenty of mistakes, and some people are rightfully upset at the reliability of their vape and the repair process, but I we're all on their side, hoping that they succeed and keep getting better and better.

I agree 100%. i was thinking the same thing as you as i was reading his post and was about to reply but then i read your post and thought i would just +1 it

If you don't trust that it's safe and you do think it tastes like crap, then it makes me wonder why you continue to use it.

looking at the strike-through of the grasshopper in his signature, i don't think he is using it much anymore

i still like mine, even if it did fail less than a week after i got it and sad i have to go to parties this weekend without it

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I think the flavor is terrible; very metallic, which also always made me paranoid about the long term health effects of the device. Not my cup of tea.

After getting rid of mine, just reading this thread is almost as satisfying as owning a working unit. So entertaining; I'm hooked.
I agree why put yourself through such agony. Move on if you really dislike the GH. Nobody is making you continue to use it. Everyone knows the GH has issues. We've know that right from the beginning. Things have gotten better but needs to continue to improve GH isn't there yet. I hope eventually this will be a vsporizer the user can depend on.

Edit
So you have moved on? Sometimes that is the only thing to do. Many of you have a lot more patients than myself. I couldn't continue sending my unit in month after month. I would probably put my hopper away in a drawer and forget about it.

skyvaper

When I think about the hopper and flavor I get confused to why people say the taste is not so good. I account the quick degrading taste to how fast the hopper extracts. Are there other vapes that are so futuristic that you can can have quick extraction on all essential oils except ones that dictate flavor?

MoltenTiger

I'm picking up a VapCap 'M' tomorrow for 20 bucks, that special price requires a return buyer (an existing dynavap account for their 20 hour sale). I think with reputable options like that for such a cost (it's normally 50, something like a third of what my 2011 MFLB cost but with actual ability), how could anyone be so phased by a GH in 2017. I can see repeat issues being a solid reason, but having had repeat issues I still don't see a viable alternative or real reason to hate on a consumer product or the company that's trying to make it better despite obvious difficulties. Why make more for them? Some seem compelled to?

HL aren't folding anytime soon, so to those who're disgruntled why not just sit the thing aside and ship it off once they've amended all the design bottlenecks they're aware of or have further improved their warranty department (to me that's a bit like 'why buy this tech now when in 8 months this new version is coming out?'* sometimes it's worth the wait). I've still got my MFLB after all these years and I've considered warrantying it, though I typically use my GH daily more than it's ever seen use. The GH is an excellent vape and it's totally worth the rigmarole to get a working one, unless of course it's feature set is redundant to a user, to which I'd wonder why they're even interested or willing to complain about it. To me that just says they're suffering buyers remorse for something they probably should have avoided. There's a lot of options out there, most are legitimately below par comparatively or offer something entirely different. I'm not willing to settle for that, but a cheap butane vape on the side just for fun might get some use - if I ever get caught out charging or RMAing. Any potential hopper owner can easily do the same, which has been recommended for a long time now.

*i was talking computers/components here, but that highlights an interesting idea, a la Moore's Law aka planned incremental improvement. Intel created Moore's Law and it has been referenced against as a trend for random phenomena, when the reality is it's just a business target set by a large corporation and has nothing to do with progression of technology beyond the economic constraints that limit it. I see alternative products from the big players Pax, S&B, Arizer, maybe some others (though there's mostly small scale struggling competition to the big guns) following this same limited approach, where without a general consensus of 'these products are severely lacking' there is no incentive to innovate or progress, and what we see is stagnant greed. The Grasshopper is dissimilar to this paradigm in that they have the most innovative product that does not have designed obsolescence. There is no imminent GH2, there is just the GH and planned accessories like a mains power adapter, rapid external charger, a case or two, oils front end, whatever. So that's why it's able to be held onto for a good while before claiming warranty (though why bother, better off enjoying it), but also why the company is a good one to support and be supported by. They've definitely rubbed a number of people off the wrong way, but without dirty tactics of incremental and slow progress, there's just wait times and catch up to do many years of work immediately. If they manage to pull it off, then their efforts will cause a market turnaround and for two or three vape style usages (one hits and bongs, sessions with cooling attachments) it will become a renowned new standard.
If they don't manage to get there, which I see no reason to assume, then it's still a great time having one. Technology should be marvelled and not cause us to feel annoyance - that is what incremental progress causes, updates causing obsolescence. In this instance the increments aren't for a particular CPU efficiency or die size, they are mass-manufacturing scaling issues that will be resolved within this products lifetime (a magnitude better already). The way I see it, I already have cannabis and we've always, what we haven't had is the means to peak enjoyment from it - which, for me, this hopper tech allows, nothing needs to be added or taken away. This is my favourite tech item I've ever purchased, because despite the durability - everything else is considered and final, and every time I use it I appreciate it very much indeed.

There's all this preemptive excitement around the Ghost MV-1 (just the name and the style scream second editions, plus the heater coil is literally a coil. Nice, it'll work but certainly not for too long but then there'll be an MV-2 slim in matte). The Hopper might already be better than it, though bring on the competition as innovation is always lurking, from what I've seen it's still tailing though. It all depends what you want and what you're willing to settle for, a near perfect device with service intervals is still dreamy beyond sub-par settlement

AJS

Calm Consistency
When I think about the hopper and flavor I get confused to why people say the taste is not so good. I account the quick degrading taste to how fast the hopper extracts. Are there other vapes that are so futuristic that you can can have quick extraction on all essential oils except ones that dictate flavor?
The flavor is fine ... it gets the flavor of the herb and that's great and all. Put it next to an E Nano or Milaana or other full glass setup and it really just doesn't really compare imo. That's probably why they say the taste isn't that good.

skyvaper

The flavor is fine ... it gets the flavor of the herb and that's great and all. Put it next to an E Nano or Milaana or other full glass setup and it really just doesn't really compare imo. That's probably why they say the taste isn't that good.
I've been looking at the Milaana for a while now and I've been interested in trying it out. Nice that another vape extracts so quickly but savors the flavor better than the hopper. My only concern is the chance of combustion via user error which is one of the few reasons I don't have it yet. Id love to try an e nano too as I hear it has great efficency and flavor. I really am curious around how quickly a vape extracts and how that impacts flavor. I just don't have a wife that would appreciate the excuse of me trying to find the best extracting flavor saving vape on the market.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Reliability and safety are quite different. They stated that safety was a high concern for them, and I don't see any reason to not trust that they executed on this. Certainly their original designs didn't take into account the various real world failure modes, and they're still working on fixing that, but that doesn't mean they were universally incompetent - after all they did engineer a vaporizer that (when it works) is easily one of the best in the world. I thought all of their machining was done in the USA, but maybe I'm wrong.

I can and will be negative towards their product. 6 rma's in 6 months. The thing never lasted a single month, and that's because I'm a heavy user who Vapes over a dozen bowls. I actually work for the biggest cannabis Distribution Company in existence. So I Vape a lot. This thing cannot keep up. It died regularly at the 3-week mark.

If you had been a part of this thread for longer you would know I was a major contributor who went through nothing but problems the entire time I owned this device. I got brand new replacement parts on multiple occasions and even received a brand new unit to no avail. I've received Parts DOA. And that is not even including any rma's for the Chargers that work so finically. Hopper labs even tried to blame me as the source of all these failures. They said moisture causes them. I said, why did the part show up DOA then? I haven't even used it. Was there moisture in the package?

You don't get it because you haven't been there. Ask biohacker, or better yet go look at his posts over at Reddit. The guy censors himself left and right over here because in the past if you had any criticism of this device the moderators would suspend you immediately, it seems as though they caught on that it's not us; it's the device.

Last edited:

howzcat

Hard on Glass
Guys i have a HUGE problem!
I was charging one of my batteries on external charger and spilled water on the ground...when i was reaching for the charger i saw a tiny flash, similar to a very tiny explosion. The house breaker went off and everything.

I'm currently drying everything. Do you think there's any way the battery is alive? And how would you test this without endangering the GH?

(i'm in EU and batteries end up being pretty expensive as i always get hit with customs :( )

howzcat,

huk_huk

someone has a good idea for a silicon condom for the PFE? I like hitting it dry again but it gets sooo hot. the original condom works but doesn't fit really well.. I believe someone posted mouthpieces from fasttech.com in this thread

huk_huk,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@Icon13 Many other forums that talk about vaporizers get really vicious and negative so I have chosen not to be a part of that type of online community. I appreciate the mods here because they dont allow bullying and being disrespectful to others. Also it's not OK to be disrespectful to the company. Your problem is between you and hopper labs. I'm sorry, it looks like you didn't have very much success with this vaporizer. You have every right to be angry.

It's OK to give info negative or positive about a vaporizer but once you've addressed an issues move on. If I don't like a particular vaporizer I lose interest and I usually don't visit that thread.

I look for good hints about vaporizing, special techniques, products and health benefits. That 's what makes FC such a great place.

The Grasshopper is a risky buy. Some folks have had great success while others have not. We will hear more about complaints because folks are pissed and want others to know. Especially if they feel they are being treated unfairly.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

someone has a good idea for a silicon condom for the PFE? I like hitting it dry again but it gets sooo hot. the original condom works but doesn't fit really well.. I believe someone posted mouthpieces from fasttech.com in this thread
I'd recommend some SSV coloured whip hose sections

Guys i have a HUGE problem!
I was charging one of my batteries on external charger and spilled water on the ground...when i was reaching for the charger i saw a tiny flash, similar to a very tiny explosion. The house breaker went off and everything.

I'm currently drying everything. Do you think there's any way the battery is alive? And how would you test this without endangering the GH?

(i'm in EU and batteries end up being pretty expensive as i always get hit with customs :( )
Test it with a multimeter or take it to a battery shop to be sure, if it didn't off-gas it could be fine, but hard to say and I would be checking before use.

------

It sucks some can't get months out of use, at least. I hear it, it's fair. It hasn't been true to my case as I've been hopping most of the last 18 months, but some have been plagued with issues and a heads up is good for potential buyers

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The guy censors himself left and right over here because in the past if you had any criticism of this device the moderators would suspend you immediately, it seems as though they caught on that it's not us; it's the device.
We don't suspend members immediately for criticizing the device. We will not, however, allow members to go on and on about their gripes. The rules state:
Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.
  • Please do not revisit an issue unless you have helpful information or constructive comments to add.
  • Use of the forum to blackmail companies will not be tolerated.
  • Posts in this regard will be evaluated based on perceived intent.
So you can makes your criticism of a product known, but you only get one bite at that cherry. Coming back to make the same complaints that you've already aired is considered to be company bashing and will not be allowed.

Unless you have some new specific piece of information regarding your situation that will add value to the thread, you should refrain from further negative posts. This is not just a rule for the Grasshopper, it applies to all vape specific threads.

Feel free to PM me should you need further clarification.

Thank you.

:peace:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Yesterday I got my PFE and the VapCap Vapor Cooler V3 from @DDave. A perfect - and tight fitting - combo!

It's getting my favourite pairing using dry. Taste is so smooth and flavours remain awesome, much better than using the GH, especially with the PFE, native - absolute recommandation!

Last edited:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Yesterday I got my PFE and the VapCap Vapor Coller V3 from @DDave. A perfect - and tight fitting - combo!

It's getting my favourite pairing using dry. Taste is so smooth and flavours remain awesome, much better than using the GH, especially with the PFE, native - absolute recommandation!
that looks very interesting!, should start a thread called "grasshopper mouthpiece extensions" with all the stuff we come up with

My favorite is still the DIY glass stem I got from a broke bubbler, cut and polished it to size and it worked perfectly until I broke it :/

Top Bottom