Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
So I ordered the stand and funnel from @Ratchett. Thanks in advance. I know they will only make my experience with the gh that much better. What you mean 3 Batts equals 3 to 5 bowls? Each batt gets 3-5 bowls or 3 Batts is 3-5 bowls?? Lol I guess I better start reading

Hope you'll have joy with your Ratchett gadgets - good choice!

We can use a bat for 1 -2 bowls. Loosen packed but full and trying to get full extraction.
I don't process ABV. So we try to get so much active components as possible out of our weed. Probably we take 2 or 3 draws more out of a bowl than folks who just want to get the most flavourful and milking hits like Baron23 I guess. For 4 bowls per bat I'ld have to draw just on or two hits per bowl. I take 5-7 - longer - hits per bowl. This might be the reason for different numbers of bowls I guess?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So I ordered the stand and funnel from @Ratchett. Thanks in advance. I know they will only make my experience with the gh that much better. What you mean 3 Batts equals 3 to 5 bowls? Each batt gets 3-5 bowls or 3 Batts is 3-5 bowls?? Lol I guess I better start reading
You ordered the exact right tools for your hopper! (same as !me!, you genius...;))

You'll see soon enough how your battery charges will last. I've been doing just like some other guys now do, just plunk it on to o.e.m. charger whenever not in use, keeping the spare batts charged via external.

I'll make sure and do that, thanks :tup:
:hmm: Any recommendations?

I don't want to send it in again but I really want to have a working hopper.
It seems that it would be good to have a second one, just to rotate in/out of service.

Maybe next sale :ko:
Sounds pretty frustrating.
A second Hopper is the way to go, if your budget can handle that luxury!
I suggest returning to the Labs again, mostly because I don't like going through all the gyrations, risking combustion, etc.
If you have known-good battery, clean threads and terminals, the effin' thing should work or be repaired; binary choice, imo.

Baron23

han folks who just want to get the most flavourful and milking hits like Baron23 I guess.

Ah, nope...I draw until its dry at 4.2 or so on temp dial. Often bump it up to 5 to finish. I get at least 3 solid loads per battery and often 4 or so.

Baron23,

Hogni

Bro, you seem to have different bats!?

I've ten, 2 GHB I, 8 GHB II out of different batches. And none of them is able to work so!?
How much hits do you get out of one bowl and how long do you draw?

Hogni,

almost there

I've ten, 2 GHB I, 8 GHB II out of different batches. And none of them is able to work so!?
All 3 of my GB2's are about 4 months old. Can get 3.5 bowls definitely per battery. I only use my external charger and besides the warmup hit I use T5 generally. Unlike @JCat's unit my hopper will never yield dark brown spent material no matter what I do. It's working so I'm happy enough

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hope you'll have joy with your Ratchett gadgets - good choice!

We can use a bat for 1 -2 bowls. Loosen packed but full and trying to get full extraction.
I don't process ABV. So we try to get so much active components as possible out of our weed. Probably we take 2 or 3 draws more out of a bowl than folks who just want to get the most flavourful and milking hits like Baron23 I guess. For 4 bowls per bat I'ld have to draw just on or two hits per bowl. I take 5-7 - longer - hits per bowl. This might be the reason for different numbers of bowls I guess?
I'm a 2-3 (usually 2) pulls per bowl. At temp 4.25 it's medium-dark brown (like I like) and is fully extracted as far as the actives I want. If I want to get the last little bits out, turning up to 5 and taking 3 hits would definitely do it (colour of ABV would be approaching combustion at this point, very-very-dark brown). So I can get 2-3 bowls per battery (I usually do 2, but can get 3). My hits tend to be 20-30 seconds on average.

edit2: dammit! Now I'm combusting on the lowest setting :cuss:

edit3: recharged battery, won't turn on gets a faintly flickering red light :disgust:

:hmm: Any recommendations?
Unfortunately that does not sound good. I think you are unfortunately going to have to re-RMA :( (Hopefully not 4+ times in a row like me ... on that note HL is finally doing right be me on this 4th RMA and is at least making a real effort to get this resolved with me while trying to keep costs and transit times down ... I have my fingers crossed and at least feel better about my experience with HL with them now stepping outside their normal policies to get this resolved--this does indeed count as extenuating circumstances I would think :))

Hogni

Hmmmh, it seems my GH doesn't come on right temperature?

Certainly 5-7 hits per bowl, at least each for 10 - 15 sec with heat, 5 sec more after power switching off.
No power between hits. Starting at 3.5 going higher in 0.5 steps to 5.0. When finished ABV is just medium brown!?
My first RMA seems to come nearer I guess....

Last edited:
Hogni,

MoltenTiger

HL is finally doing right be me on this 4th RMA and is at least making a real effort to get this resolved with me while trying to keep costs and transit times down ... I have my fingers crossed and at least feel better about my experience with HL with them now stepping outside their normal policies to get this resolved--this does indeed count as extenuating circumstances I would think :))
Glad to read they've finally come to their sensors and are trying to resolve your issues!

ABV is just medium brown!?
ABV does vary depending on the material, but typically on T5 the hopper should be able to really cook the herbs.
I would say 2 chambers per battery would be the average, but it depends on the battery and the style of hits. The most I've ever squeezed out of a battery was 6 chambers but 4 of them were single hits, just got to toke for a long time to do it. Temp stepping or power cycling and reheating use more power than holding it at temp for close to a minute. Doing the latter gives more run time and more extraction potential

Edit: thought I might mention, there's a 20% accessories sale on until June 28th. Use code: Tangie

A good time to stock up on batts, I'm grabbing a few more myself

Baron23

Not sure how many hits....less hits to drain a load on water (maybe three??) than through a J-hook (which I use often) for which I think its more in the 5 draws with the last one being a clean up at temp 5 with the rest at 4.2 - 4.3.

Dunno why the difference. My Hopper is a year old now and still going strong, but I probably only put 5 loads per week through it. Most often now, its my "3 am and I'm up yet again in pain?" vape. One quick small load and back to bed. Works wonderfully for me.

Cheers

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I bought new batteries when I received my GH. I get get 4 - 5 bowls to a battery. There's a lot of variables. It depends on the weed, temp and the draw style. The 2 older batteries I have I get 2 bowls per charge.

My used GH is still going strong. I don't always use it every day because there isn't enough hours in a day. I use it probably 3 times a week so it's light use.

btka

Hmmmh, it seems my GH doesn't come on right temperature?

Certainly 5-7 hits per bowl, at least each for 10 - 15 sec with heat, 5 sec more after power switching off.
No power between hits. Starting at 3.5 going higher in 0.5 steps to 5.0. When finished ABV is just medium brown!?
My first RMA seems to come nearer I guess....

do you charge your batteries with the oem charger... as I mentioned before I get better results and performance (also darker abv) when charging with oem charger then with an external charger......

btka,
Reactions: Hogni

MonkeyTime

Patience is watching the mail truck drive by your house knowing it has your RMA'd hopper on it.......

I know he'll be back around shortly, now to find something to do so I'm not waiting at the mailbox for him!

Here's hoping they actually did something with it this time!

MoltenTiger

Patience is watching the mail truck drive by your house knowing it has your RMA'd hopper on it.......

I know he'll be back around shortly, now to find something to do so I'm not waiting at the mailbox for him!

Here's hoping they actually did something with it this time!
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.
It's a bit alarming there's so much discussion, even still, about RMA'd faults so soon after getting them back, I've had issues with one of mine since RMA but the other one is flawless... there's still a bit of a gamble, from what I've deduced it seems to be spawning from select technicians. Hopefully a capable one handled yours this time

MonkeyTime

I've been polite, patient and not too vocal about my GH up until now. I was really hoping if I put it aside for a while, then used it until it needed an RMA that later, they would have their shit together and I would get to join the party.

Enough beating around the bush, FUCK HOPPER LABS. What they sent back, is definitely my unit, the edge of the body on the battery end is knurled over the same (not proof positive, but.....), but it doesn't produce vapor and has two new 1-1/4" deep scratches down the body.

They did correct the back end heating, it hasn't gotten much more than medium warm in two bowls, but that's probably because even on 5, I can tell there's not much heat being created, and very little vapor. I can use the PFE native on 5 and suck until my lungs are full, and my mouth isn't feeling anything uncomfortable. Before, at least native, I was redirecting airflow 1/2 way thru a hit because of heat.

So, here's the total:

Back end is tight again, and no longer shifts back and forth (the ring that has the clip attached to it, not the upper dial with the temp markings). But now the top dial shifts back and forth, not a lot, but noticeable.

The did not replace the button, or if they did, it's still the solid feeling mechanical clicker, not the often mentioned newer style.

The body has new, deep scratches. Glad I kept a 1/2 wrap of 3M 33+ over that area this whole time so I wouldn't get scratches in the body from their clip!

While I do get some vapor, it's thin and whispy. Not to mention barely extracting. On 5 I went 2 hits past any vapor and then once thru the Orbiter to make sure the GH was done. Put what was in the GH in a Mighty capsule, didn't bother with anything to compress it and at 385F, got 3 full hits out of it and a couple stragglers.

I paid extra for the Ti because I take good care of my stuff, if they weren't going to fix it, then at least don't beat the life out of it, is that too much to ask?

Baron23

Enough beating around the bush, FUCK HOPPER LABS. What they sent back, is definitely my unit, the edge of the body on the battery end is knurled over the same (not proof positive, but.....), but it doesn't produce vapor and has two new 1-1/4" deep scratches down the body.

@slcbdco - I'm not trying to put you on the spot, mate. I know from your posts you know these guys at Hopper (neighbors sort of, yeah) and that you like them, their intent, and their product (well, we all like a working Hopper) and try to support them as best you can. And I know you are not responsible for any of their actions. All cool, right?

But with all of that said, can you please ask them how it is possible for them to return an RMA'd unit in a non-functioning state and with additional cosmetic damage. This is NOT the the first or only time we have heard almost the exact same story.

There is NO excuse for insufficient testing such that they ship back a non-functioning (or malfunctioning or misfunctioning) unit. How the fuck does this happen?

If @MonkeyTime time isn't an inveterate, compulsive liar (for which we have absolutely no basis to suspect) there isn't a reason in the world for him to be making this up. So, what's HL's story on this?

I suspect we are seeing some of the financial pressure on HL warranty program in their minimizing change out of parts on RMA'd Hoppers like perhaps this one????

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

How the fuck does this happen?
It most likely is largely due to the quantity they have returning as an 'unsustainable' failure rate still plagues them and has for the entirety of their endeavour, and conflicting skills and abilities of their workers are causing vast fluctuations in the customer experience. They've alluded to this on Reddit and have mentioned intention to improve, which is obviously vital. Blunders such that they've fallen victim to or instigated have and do cost businesses.

some of the financial pressure on HL
This has been blatant the whole time, as with any business of their nature (kickstarter that don't receive additional funding). They've skated thin ice to where they are, what anyone expects they'll continue to do is just setting themselves up for disappointment. The failure rate has reduced, but only at a slow rate. It's not suddenly going to become normalised. They've stated that there's aspects of the design identified to be vulnerable and commonly cause faults that are still yet to have fixes applied, which of course is due to financial constraint. Worst case at this point for the consumer is that the warranty is needed, but HL for sure need to formally address and prevent these cosmetic and mechanical failures out of their warranty department. My assumption would be that the process is difficult and scratches are permanent and there's no available replacement stock. The situation is difficult, which is why a failure rate above 1% is generally catastrophic and why they use terminology with missing values to be properly interpreted, because on their end there's significant trouble which has been constant. For the consumer, the product might be worth the unknown hassles. I'd say for you and me that's true, in cases like Grokits and worse then it's just unsavoury - but for cases like Jcats they are capeable of resolving issues as there's some competency amongst the lack of money. The device is notorious for this potential and I was warned about that by backers in 2015, buyer beware, but I'm still waiting for a better personal option and very much enjoy my working hopper. If you consider this from an orthodox business perspective it's certainly not going to shape up well.
I am partial to the alternative fashion though, but when it stings it hurts as I've experienced.
I wouldn't put up with it for most products, but for the time being it's relatively easy to do so for a vape on the side, but I like to keep it in proportion with what it's worth to me

almost there

I've been polite, patient and not too vocal about my GH up until now. I was really hoping if I put it aside for a while, then used it until it needed an RMA that later, they would have their shit together and I would get to join the party.

They did correct the back end heating, it hasn't gotten much more than medium warm in two bowls, but that's probably because even on 5, I can tell there's not much heat being created, and very little vapor. I can use the PFE native on 5 and suck until my lungs are full, and my mouth isn't feeling anything uncomfortable. Before, at least native, I was redirecting airflow 1/2 way thru a hit because of heat.

So, here's the total:

Back end is tight again, and no longer shifts back and forth (the ring that has the clip attached to it, not the upper dial with the temp markings). But now the top dial shifts back and forth, not a lot, but noticeable.

The did not replace the button, or if they did, it's still the solid feeling mechanical clicker, not the often mentioned newer style.

The body has new, deep scratches. Glad I kept a 1/2 wrap of 3M 33+ over that area this whole time so I wouldn't get scratches in the body from their clip!

While I do get some vapor, it's thin and whispy. Not to mention barely extracting. On 5 I went 2 hits past any vapor and then once thru the Orbiter to make sure the GH was done. Put what was in the GH in a Mighty capsule, didn't bother with anything to compress it and at 385F, got 3 full hits out of it and a couple stragglers.

I paid extra for the Ti because I take good care of my stuff, if they weren't going to fix it, then at least don't beat the life out of it, is that too much to ask?
you are sounding like me only I've made this proclamation once a month since March. Basically you touched on every point I was making after getting my RMA's back, to this day with a "working" hopper my ABV is never darker than a light brown. It's filling it's role in my life and I just don't have the energy for another RMA so no more RMA's till total failure. Hopefully @JCat will get his taken care of and we can all pray for the same treatment.

Last edited:

nonbeliever

So my hopper came back the third time, and it works kinda. Actually it's finally as good as my og unit for external heat so that a big plus. But what does it mean when the red lights start blinking during a draw?

This has been a recurring problem that was previously overshadowed by other more pressing issues; now it's the main one. Is it a heater time out? Because they keep talking about taking strong draws, but if I try that it blinks red immediately. Is it a battery issue? I will try charging it again with their charger and swapping batteries as well but I really don't think that's it. My hopper's close but still not working right dammit!

:bang:
I would send an email to Caroline in Customer Service. explain to her what is going on, and tell her you are happy to send it in again, and ask her for some guidance/help on getting it resolved properly.

It's odd that it keeps coming back still not working right... even when my RMA 's have gone bad soon after, they've always come back working properly. Crapshoot has always been for how long.....:rant:

MoltenTiger

Just cleaned a SS PFE with PBW And boiling water. Super duper easy, came out spotless after the most minimal of effort and time. Alcohol (what I used last time) takes way longer and is harder to use to properly clean. PBW just strips it all off in a matter of minutes, a quick stir in solution and a scrape over with a toothpick, rinse, redunk, rinse, done.

I found with alcohol it gunked up immediately after use, with herb sticking to the screen. With PBW, yet to test, but I'm assuming it'll act as it did when it was new, where it took some time before any build up. Will report back, but glad I opted for plain metals as easy maintenance is very appreciable

grokit

well-worn member
I would send an email to Caroline in Customer Service. explain to her what is going on, and tell her you are happy to send it in again, and ask her for some guidance/help on getting it resolved properly.

It's odd that it keeps coming back still not working right... even when my RMA 's have gone bad soon after, they've always come back working properly. Crapshoot has always been for how long.....:rant:
The warranty ticket is still open it happened so quickly this time. I've been giving it updates, the last ones were I tried a brand new battery and it charged, but doesn't turn on just does the faintly flickering red/blue thing. The temp dial feels better now, and when I changed batteries it kept up so we were getting somewhere. This seems to be a new issue, hopefully I'll get another shipping label in reply.

:ninja:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The warranty ticket is still open it happened so quickly this time. I've been giving it updates, the last ones were I tried a brand new battery and it charged, but doesn't turn on just does the faintly flickering red/blue thing. The temp dial feels better now, and when I changed batteries it kept up so we were getting somewhere. This seems to be a new issue, hopefully I'll get another shipping label in reply.

You've been getting shipping covered? That's something for the 'plus' column.
I know when I've had low battery, gone to blinking red, that loosening and re-tightening back end threads can yield another hit or two, which is why I earlier suggested cleaning those threads and battery contacts. But really, based on your reporting, I agree you should return this one.

JCat

Accessory Maker

They are paying for your RMA shipping of your Hopper to them?

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Well, a quick glance at this page of posts seems to indicate that GHL is still "working out some kinks". Ah, well, "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose".

I just stopped by to relate an interesting experience. If you check my sig you'll notice I have 2 daily drivers - not mentioning any names since I don't want to get in trouble for doing comparisons (or whatever the rule is). I had been using my other daily driver pretty much exclusively for a number of weeks - both at home and out and about - and enjoying it a lot. The other night I decided to pull out my SS hopper. And I was reminded why I became a hopperist in the first place.

IMO, the taste coming off the hopper is far superior to my other device, its efficiency is unparalleled (by anything in my collection, at least) and it absolutely kicks like a mule. When I used my other portable to administer some "sleeping aid", I would take 3 or 4 draws and toddle comfortably off to bed. Without thinking I took the same 3 draws on my hopper and I was WAAAAY too high to sleep. Same material, same if not less of it in the chamber, but I was definitely riding the rapids there for a while.

So my previous characterization still applies: The hopper is the British sports car of vapes. Yeah, there will be a certain amount of frustration as your vehicle spends too much time in the shop, but when that thing is running well, it's a driving experience like no other.

Yeah, the failure rate is a major PITA. (I've had 4 or 5 RMAs on my SS at this point.) Warranty missteps are certainly frustrating and need to be eliminated. (I've had one of those as well.) But for me, it's all worth it.

Top Bottom