Discontinued The Grasshopper

nonbeliever

Get some pressurised air for cleaning computer's and do it when it's been off for couple of minutes

Also maybe rotate it as you blow air into intake so the particles have a change to drop out not just push further into the hopper
Along with his, I also occasionally just heat an empty chamber, and draw heavy for a few big empty hits. And keep the mouthpiece screen clean so you have better draws. It all helps keep it a bit cooler.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Along with his, I also occasionally just heat an empty chamber, and draw heavy for a few big empty hits. And keep the mouthpiece screen clean so you have better draws. It all helps keep it a bit cooler.

This is also a good practice and I do it also.

As for the recommendation "not" to blow into it, that is to try to prevent something getting logged in and causing the straight to blue. Once its happened blowing it out can fix it.

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
hello,
been a VERY long time since i posted in these forums. what brings me back is a sad tale :( I am an original backer and received one of the earliest batches. i was not first but i was withing the first 200 i believe. so i had my hopper for a long time (yes i did say had)... in one of my recent stupid moments i lost my hopper. Let me tell you all since it was an OG model i had some issues and RMA'ed it 3x and each time customer service did a good job of getting it back to me. other than that it worked great i did not have many issues as you can see.

i came back here cause i was so sad about losing my hopper i wanted to replace it and i came here to see if i should upgrade or not. i had the SS style and was thinking about the Ti model. if i had any complaints at all about my SS it would be it got kinda warm if not hot if i used it too long and that it was easily scratched. does the Ti model fix either or both of those issues? or should i just get another SS?

thanks
Menz

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Get some pressurised air for cleaning computer's and do it when it's been off for couple of minutes

Also maybe rotate it as you blow air into intake so the particles have a change to drop out not just push further into the hopper

Yep, I do the same.

One word of caution to add. When using the compressed air do it in short bursts as the expanding air gets quite cold.

hello,
been a VERY long time since i posted in these forums. what brings me back is a sad tale :( I am an original backer and received one of the earliest batches. i was not first but i was withing the first 200 i believe. so i had my hopper for a long time (yes i did say had)... in one of my recent stupid moments i lost my hopper. Let me tell you all since it was an OG model i had some issues and RMA'ed it 3x and each time customer service did a good job of getting it back to me. other than that it worked great i did not have many issues as you can see.

i came back here cause i was so sad about losing my hopper i wanted to replace it and i came here to see if i should upgrade or not. i had the SS style and was thinking about the Ti model. if i had any complaints at all about my SS it would be it got kinda warm if not hot if i used it too long and that it was easily scratched. does the Ti model fix either or both of those issues? or should i just get another SS?

thanks
Menz

I feel your pain man, I lost my fist hopper within two weeks of owning it.

I subsequently bought a Ti model and I love it. It's a purple Ti and I've kept it scratch free. It's had 2x RMA's itself.

As I've babied it I can't really tell you if it's more or less scratch resistant. I have read though that the plain Ti is best if you want to have the most scratch resistant design.

The Ti's tend to heat up at the mouth piece quicker than the SS but cool off faster.

The Ti's are also lighter than the SS which I like but others have commented that they prefer the weight of the SS more.

In the past the Ti's had a gritty feeling when screwing on/off the back end but I think I read a few pages back that the latest releases don't exhibit this behaviour.

All in all I'm a Ti fan, I'll always try to save weight where I can. Also I love the anodised purple colour but the colour will scratch off if it comes into contact with keys in pockets so you need to protect it if you want to keep it looking fresh.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I've had my SS Grasshopper for exactly a year now, I remember I received it on the first day of summer last year, June 20th. I had one RMA back in October I think and it's been going strong since. Truth be told I could RMA it again because the temp dial locks up often, but it's an easy fix and the performance is still good so why bother?

To be honest I expected to deal with RMAs more often, and I'm glad that wasn't the case. I know some others haven't had the same luck.

I use mine at temp 4 and higher almost exclusively. I carry mine around loaded, with a medium grind, all of the time. I always turn the hopper off and then keep hitting it for a few seconds, other than that I don't do anything special as far as general maintenance. I rarely clean my hoppers at all, I probably clean the mouthpiece once a month. I only clean the chamber if I need to RMA. I think less is more with this vape.

Lately I've been using mine as makeshift concentrate pens with organic cotton, and they are doing a pretty good job. They provide more of a session type experience when used this way versus a traditional dab, but it is still enjoyable and incredibly convenient.

I can just carry around a couple tiny odor-free and nearly undetectable cotton balls and be set for the whole day. No need to worry about dealing with ABV or smelly bud.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
20-30 bucks ones or twice a year in mailing costs is not the end of the world for me

That's the problem. I vaped at least a dozen chambers per day and it died fairly consistently at the 3 week mark. That ain't once or twice per year. Maybe for you light users this thing is great, but TBH the performance dropped off around the 2 week mark before dying again each time. I kept telling myself it was in my head, but unfortunately became accustomed when it was almost that time.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
That's the problem. I vaped at least a dozen chambers per day and it died fairly consistently at the 3 week mark. That ain't once or twice per year. Maybe for you light users this thing is great, but TBH the performance dropped off around the 2 week mark before dying again each time. I kept telling myself it was in my head, but unfortunately became accustomed when it was almost that time.
I use it +4 times a day on 4,5 through water nearly 95% of the time .. find that to be past "light use"

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Would you blow the air into the tiny intake holes where the leds are? Or the opposite direction down into the chamber? Whats you guys opinion?

I blow into the bowl, thus, at least in theory blowing the "debris" whatever it is, a piece of flower, congellead oil from prior session whatever, through and out the heater.

Alternatively if blowing doesn't work, sometimes sucking does ...

THATS WHAT SHE SAID :lol:

But seriously if the issue HL has identified (and are patching) is debris on the sensor, it can be fixed usually by either sucking or blowing.

As you can imagine, the source of the debris is always from above so it's likely the correct sequence for a do it yourself fix is try sucking, if sucking doesn't work, try blowing. Suck first so that way you can pull the debris out rather than push it through, if that doesn't work it's probably becuase it's too far in, making it easier to push it throw by blowing

#phrasing

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I blow into the bowl, thus, at least in theory blowing the "debris" whatever it is, a piece of flower, congellead oil from prior session whatever, through and out the heater.

Alternatively if blowing doesn't work, sometimes sucking does ...

THATS WHAT SHE SAID :lol:

But seriously if the issue HL has identified (and are patching) is debris on the sensor, it can be fixed usually by either sucking or blowing.

As you can imagine, the source of the debris is always from above so it's likely the correct sequence for a do it yourself fix is try sucking, if sucking doesn't work, try blowing. Suck first so that way you can pull the debris out rather than push it through, if that doesn't work it's probably becuase it's too far in, making it easier to push it throw by blowing

#phrasing
We need a "side sucking" device for the hopper asap :D

AJS

Calm Consistency
I don't grind super fine, don't leave GH on bubbler during blowback, don't tap GH loaded rightside up. GH running strong since the day I got her almost 9 months now. Temps 3-5.
Waiting for her to die to get newest model but she keeps chugging. I would turn her in for hot backend but something tells me they'll say it's within their threshold and send it back untouched, even tho it's hot enough to cook eggs. Easy fix ... don't touch backend when it's hot. I can live with that.

MoltenTiger

The problem here is that correlation does not infer causation. Some days 12 chambers could be a light day for me, I average about 3-5 batteries a day currently and so generally 9+ chambers daily though I've been reducing that lately (sometimes there are multiple people giving it this usage per day though, I've had units go through my weekly quota in hours at parties multiple times), but it's pretty clear to me that explanatory variables like cleanliness, hot device usage, failed components and backwards airflow have a greater influence on requiring RMAs, dirty units, dodgy components and bad batteries explain poor performance more aptly than anything else.
Given that I'm using a unit that is as good as ever after longer than 2 (& 3) weeks (as has been constant with all the devices I've used), given I've maintained it with the few tips that exist in abundance in this thread and the fixes resource, emailed out by HL to all users and commonly discussed on reddit, it really doesn't gel with me to say that 3 weeks is a reasonable average lifespan to infer from a tiny sample to a much greater population.
There is definitely correlation between heavy usage and faults (probably universal), but that's not to say these things can't tolerate the million power cycles HL have already put one through. Obviously that's an outlier point estimate, but I own my hopper as a power user by choice. Definitely, I've had issues, but I'm a much heavier user than plenty who have had more issues - and all my issues have been caused by the variables I listed, and alcohol damage. Just like most others that I've observed, unless I'm missing something.. The extra use just increases the rate at which maintance is required, and the device has also just been upgraded to be more durable on this front (as it has been difficult to properly maintain), so when mine next go for a holiday to the states, it'll be happily and willingly so I can continue going to town on my glassware!

It's the price of the ticket to ride unfortunately, and it's not for some

snaffle

Hah I swear my grasshopper has been working better recently than it did when I first bought it. HL must be breaking in to my house and secretly putting their new upgraded parts in my hopper. :D

Or it could just the really wonderful high quality weed I got recently. ;)

Anyway, yes, I love my hopper!

btka

@ShayWhiteGrow dude your Ti hopper has worked longer than the SS units and still kicking...its a beast

what is your draw technic using the gh native seems like you are able to produce as much vapor (big clouds) like using it trough a bubbler (withoutnthe extra suction of a bubbler or did you used concentrate or good lighting...

I am getting bigger clouds with my bubbler....

also I do not have to stir my load...

if I load less herb in my gh say a pinch my abv is not getting as dark as I fill it up lightly... I always haventhe impression when only loading a pinch in my gh that the herb could be taken further (light brown avb) when lighlty filled up the rim the abv is dark brown... also the clouds are much bigger....

also I want to report that my ghs are working without the need to rma since i got them back from rma in january...

btka

For me, ABV is completely even without stirring if I use the standard mouthpiece. But I've found that the top of the load tends to be lighter when using the PFE.
when I fill in to much herb in my gh the top of the load also tends to be lighter... but I do not think you will get much extra clouds if you stir it (this happens with the og and pfe front end)...

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
what is your draw technic using the gh native seems like you are able to produce as much vapor (big clouds) like using it trough a bubbler (withoutnthe extra suction of a bubbler or did you used concentrate or good lighting...

I am getting bigger clouds with my bubbler....

also I do not have to stir my load...

if I load less herb in my gh say a pinch my abv is not getting as dark as I fill it up lightly... I always haventhe impression when only loading a pinch in my gh that the herb could be taken further (light brown avb) when lighlty filled up the rim the abv is dark brown... also the clouds are much bigger....

also I want to report that my ghs are working without the need to rma since i got them back from rma in january...
I use the hpfe and the 14mm glass sleeve to rip hella hard without it getting too hot...works perfect but a bit bulky.

I think that it may be my packing then...i always open my chamber up and it looks fresh until I take that top layer out and everything under it is cooked.

so I just stir mid bowl to alleviate it.

For me, ABV is completely even without stirring if I use the standard mouthpiece. But I've found that the top of the load tends to be lighter when using the PFE.
didn't even think about that...i have been using the HPFE almost exclusively...the native mouthpiece gets too warm for me

Top Bottom