1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I'd just really like to know in what time frame .... ever? In the first 24 hours after shipment? (ie. only for those that live in the same city) ... In the first 24 hours after ownership? .... my track record if you count for my SS having been shipped to me 4 times by HL not working properly and my Ti working for <1 week first time and working flawlessly for a 1 month period after 1st RMA ... than it's a 60% failure rate from the first second of ownership to the first week ... an 80% failure rate from week 1 to week 4, and a 100% failure rate within the first 5 weeks ...

I'm only a 1 person sample with 2 devices and 5 back-ends though so take it for what it's worth

Oh yeah ... @Icon13 ... you did it again ... think you meant 2,000 units :)

2. grokit

grokit well-worn member

I did that. I had an og hopper that worked well but was suspect mechanically, and finally popped apart. I sent it in and they put on a new back end that was better, but it never vaped right--it would just barely change the color of the material and was hot to touch. I waited another year or so until they seemed more caught up, and when they announced the colored ti pfe's I sent it in again. The unit I got back worked great a few times and then broke again; different issue this time. It happened more than 72 hours but less than a week after I had gotten it back, and to their credit they did offer & send me a pre-paid postage label.

:sherlock:

3. freshly baked

freshly baked Well-Known Member

It appears I bragged on my repaired gh too soon. Today when I turned it on it went straight to blue lights and its not heating on any temp with any of my batteries. So much for hitting that 1% failure rate. Ive returned mine 3 times in 2 months. 7 or 8 times total in a year and a half. Very frustrated and starting to look for a more reliable vape so I can toss this thing in a drawer and get back to happy vaping adventures. This sucks honestly!
    Edit... After banging it on everything with in 5 ft of me to no avail... I say what the hell its already broke so I try blowing in it.... Back to working for now... Who knows how long..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

No. I meant 200. 1% of 20k.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  5. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

May be 1% RMAs of all sold devices per WEEK? :p 200 per week sounds realistically to me....

Hjalmark likes this.
  6. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

That's a drag. Pretty disappointing!
    Your edit strikes a chord here. I think there is something to it, along the lines of debris/crap/whatever affecting the temp sensor. Before my break (almost a month now, ugh), I made a habit of removing mouthpiece while unit still warm, rapping on wood to empty and, after each couple of bowls then taking a firm, quick draw. I was also trying not to fill it to the brim nor tamp the load. Mine had previously both felt restricted (draw restricted) prior to their rma troubles. I did enjoy two great smooth running Hoppers for 3-4 months before the break. They're on vacation now, though not by my choice. Long, shitty story with which I could fill pages on the Fuck You! thread...

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Reliability, Maintainability, and Availability are all well developed sub-disciplines for the design and QA engineer.

There is MTBF (mean time between failures) which has a time component for which there needs to be supporting data

There is FIT rate (failures in time) which will require collection of both # of failures and total operating time on the population (which they don't have unless there is a time keeper buried in the device and not available to the user).

Availability which we discussed earlier but to review is the probability that a system will work as required and when required during the period of a mission.

DOA or infant mortality - dead on arrival and for infant mortality, you need to define the time frame for "infant" but I think we know when we get a DOA or a vape that craps out prematurely, like @freshly baked 's GH.

Then we just got crappy testability, ambiguous fault isolation ability, and shitty QA that allows a vape to be RMA'd 5-10 times and still not provide the owner with a robust and reliable unit.

Note that almost all of the above requires a time data component. If Hopper Labs has any engineers working for it at all (and surely they do), then they KNOW....absolutely KNOW....that throwing out a figure like 1% failure rate is completely meaningless.

Look, I don't want to get into an RMA engineering debate with Hopper or anyone on the boards. I just bring this stuff up because when they throw out meaningless terms like this I feel its an insult to my intelligence (insult to our intelligence, really).

Final note, my GH is still working flawlessly after about a year although not a daily driver (still, probably 4-5 loads/week through it). But I still can't recommend it to anyone but a very experienced vaporist who has a stable of other vapes to rely on when the GH goes tits up.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. abcd5432

abcd5432 Well-Known Member

Maybe they're insulting your intelligence but I just realized my lack of intelligence on the matter after reading your post.
    I'm going to continue to wait til 2018 I guess since I still have 2 of my vaporizer.
    I'm happy I read your post and got some good engineering perspective

CarolKing, Vapor_Eyes, JCat and 3 others like this.
  9. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

I personally don't mind that crazy much when my hopper dies and it goes in for repairs, because I like the fact there are people improving the product on the other end, I spend a lot of time reading from through puffitup blog and their amazing tear downs, I recommend people to lay their hopper on a piece of paper and put the battery next to it and mark out size of hopper 3 parts, then size of the bowl and then size of battery on the paper .. What is left is your heater, circuit board and a tiny computing chip on both ends .. It's fucking magic

But also groundbreaking finicky new technology that is trying to be way to impossible for our "stealth factor pen secret vape ninjas"

I would be pretty sad if they went bankrupt, I look at myself as both a customer and a supporter

20-30 bucks ones or twice a year in mailing costs is not the end of the world for me

If your looking for a vape that can't break then get a stickybrick

10. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Well-Known Member

Man it's been too long since I posted in here. Ordered the performance front end and some new glass, both go here today so perfect time to break the hopper out .Couple of bowls of Blue Dream and watching WWE
    Raw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. freshly baked

Well I got another day out of it but now its going straight to blue lights with no heat again. Maybe it is small particles and I shouldn't be grinding quite so fine.

12. Hjalmark

Think small particles getting into heater and circuit either from fine grind or left in a pocket without protection from pocket lint/sand is pretty much going to kill your hopper .. Specially fine grind left in the hopper and then going around in a bag or a pocket

All my vapes are convection so I been trying to find a grinder that gives as course grind as possible but still I would never leave grinder bud or NEVER stir load inside hopper, if I need to fill my hopper before hand then I put a whole nug inside but preferable fill a container then transfer over to hopper
    [​IMG]
    Also noticed some more sizes
    [​IMG]

13. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

It probably is. Usually you can just blow the chamber out and it'll be fine.

CarolKing, Vapor_Eyes and vapviking like this.
  14. freshly baked

I had heard not to blow in the chamber I just did because it was broke anyway... Is it ok to blow into the chamber regularly?

Hjalmark likes this.
  15. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

carefully with your mouth should be ok but care of using pressed air!

CarolKing, freshly baked and Hjalmark like this.
  16. Hjalmark

Get some pressurised air for cleaning computer's and do it when it's been off for couple of minutes

Also maybe rotate it as you blow air into intake so the particles have a change to drop out not just push further into the hopper

17. nonbeliever

nonbeliever Well-Known Member

Along with his, I also occasionally just heat an empty chamber, and draw heavy for a few big empty hits. And keep the mouthpiece screen clean so you have better draws. It all helps keep it a bit cooler.

18. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

This is also a good practice and I do it also.

As for the recommendation "not" to blow into it, that is to try to prevent something getting logged in and causing the straight to blue. Once its happened blowing it out can fix it.

19. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

hello,
    been a VERY long time since i posted in these forums. what brings me back is a sad tale :( I am an original backer and received one of the earliest batches. i was not first but i was withing the first 200 i believe. so i had my hopper for a long time (yes i did say had)... in one of my recent stupid moments i lost my hopper. Let me tell you all since it was an OG model i had some issues and RMA'ed it 3x and each time customer service did a good job of getting it back to me. other than that it worked great i did not have many issues as you can see.

i came back here cause i was so sad about losing my hopper i wanted to replace it and i came here to see if i should upgrade or not. i had the SS style and was thinking about the Ti model. if i had any complaints at all about my SS it would be it got kinda warm if not hot if i used it too long and that it was easily scratched. does the Ti model fix either or both of those issues? or should i just get another SS?

thanks
    Menz

20. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Yep, I do the same.

One word of caution to add. When using the compressed air do it in short bursts as the expanding air gets quite cold.

I feel your pain man, I lost my fist hopper within two weeks of owning it.

I subsequently bought a Ti model and I love it. It's a purple Ti and I've kept it scratch free. It's had 2x RMA's itself.

As I've babied it I can't really tell you if it's more or less scratch resistant. I have read though that the plain Ti is best if you want to have the most scratch resistant design.

The Ti's tend to heat up at the mouth piece quicker than the SS but cool off faster.

The Ti's are also lighter than the SS which I like but others have commented that they prefer the weight of the SS more.

In the past the Ti's had a gritty feeling when screwing on/off the back end but I think I read a few pages back that the latest releases don't exhibit this behaviour.

All in all I'm a Ti fan, I'll always try to save weight where I can. Also I love the anodised purple colour but the colour will scratch off if it comes into contact with keys in pockets so you need to protect it if you want to keep it looking fresh.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  21. freshly baked

Would you blow the air into the tiny intake holes where the leds are? Or the opposite direction down into the chamber? Whats you guys opinion?

peaceonearth and Hjalmark like this.
  22. Hjalmark

I would do air intake not bowl .. but it's more like an educated guess then a fact

GreenHopper likes this.
  23. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

:(:tinfoil:

24. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

I've had my SS Grasshopper for exactly a year now, I remember I received it on the first day of summer last year, June 20th. I had one RMA back in October I think and it's been going strong since. Truth be told I could RMA it again because the temp dial locks up often, but it's an easy fix and the performance is still good so why bother?

To be honest I expected to deal with RMAs more often, and I'm glad that wasn't the case. I know some others haven't had the same luck.

I use mine at temp 4 and higher almost exclusively. I carry mine around loaded, with a medium grind, all of the time. I always turn the hopper off and then keep hitting it for a few seconds, other than that I don't do anything special as far as general maintenance. I rarely clean my hoppers at all, I probably clean the mouthpiece once a month. I only clean the chamber if I need to RMA. I think less is more with this vape.

Lately I've been using mine as makeshift concentrate pens with organic cotton, and they are doing a pretty good job. They provide more of a session type experience when used this way versus a traditional dab, but it is still enjoyable and incredibly convenient.

I can just carry around a couple tiny odor-free and nearly undetectable cotton balls and be set for the whole day. No need to worry about dealing with ABV or smelly bud.

25. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

That's the problem. I vaped at least a dozen chambers per day and it died fairly consistently at the 3 week mark. That ain't once or twice per year. Maybe for you light users this thing is great, but TBH the performance dropped off around the 2 week mark before dying again each time. I kept telling myself it was in my head, but unfortunately became accustomed when it was almost that time.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors