1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. VAPEHUNTER

VAPEHUNTER Well-Known Member

I just received my shipping confirmation for my WPA:rockon:

ArthurJ, btka, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  2. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

As did I, I'm very excited and ready

ArthurJ and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  3. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

I'm like a lot of people here in the way that I have two grasshoppers. It's weird how a company can make an unreliable vaporizer & I'll avoid it but if it's really good I buy two :hmm:

4. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I also got a ship confirmation last night, so I should have the new mp on Saturday.
    I find it's really refreshing that HL rolled this out with very little bs or projection hype (measuring just the past few months, not the 'original' wpa).
    Ordered Monday, I'll have it by Saturday!
    Thanks HL! Well done.

5. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

That classifieds hopper is a good bet.
    Get a GH for a reasonable price now, and by the time it fails (as @Icon13 mentions, it's likely enough to call that definite at this point), the $45 required to receive warranty will be a worthwhile expenditure (the value will seem justifiable, I think).

I'm pretty bummed that I have to go without both my hoppers, as I'm sending both back for warranty now due to degradation.
    I feel like this is mostly due to residue build up within the device, which can't be accessed or cleaned properly..
    As an international customer, this is a bit of an issue, but at the same token - I need to tinker with the guts of my EQ, and I just haven't bothered to.
    If I could post that away for 20 bucks and get it reconditioned and sent back for free, I would have happily done so by now. So, although the hopper seems to be averaging about 2 services a year (heavy user here too), I can easily factor that in, considering that it's currently my best option for a portable vape.

And finally, I got the go-ahead from Caroline to get 2x batteries, 2x stickers and 2x Porformance Front-Ends sent back with RMAs at no additional postage cost. So although I had to wait a bit for that to happen, during which my other hopper failed, overall this panned out alright. (as I basically get two reconditioned hoppers for the price of the normal shipping I'd have to pay on those items, plus a month or so without my vape which is the real kicker.

I'm very much looking forward to new glass and hands-free hoppering with it!

Nice one, how are you liking having them back?
    Are they in the rotation?

Will be interesting to see how their repairs hold up

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Everyone has different thresholds for bullshit.

Negative, one has already been sold and the other is listed. I've offloaded all 4, and won't be going back anytime soon. I never use it as a portable (handful of times, and don't like it dry) so always exclusively water, and now with my Supreme, the vapour output/quality of the GH is redundant to me. If I really needed an on-the-go-stealthy vape, then perhaps i'd put up with continuing to beta test their device (because IMO that is EXACTLY what we are ALL doing whether you know it or not). Seriously, 5% defect rate? That's the funniest shit i've ever read on this forum since another well known company that was having extremely difficult startup problems/defects was throwing around made up numbers as well. Every single one of my 6 hoppers since release has required RMA, and not only once. It's not bad lucky unfortunately. And it's not just "older" models.

Hopefully the new owners chime in on the repairs, but we all know what's going to happen? One of the newly replaced backends is super smooth easy turning, and the other (same serial range) is pretty tight and grindy, but both work well....bodies repaired properly no more coplights or straight to blue.

So other than taking a little longer than usual, HL certainly made up for it with the faster UPS/USPS combined shipping. Oh, and they forgot to change the serial # of the back end in my account so a quick note to Caroline last night, and this morning the change was already completed.

Sorry to all the fan boys for my negativity, but thank you to those that respected and appreciated my open book approach to reviewing the GH and sharing a small part of my life with it. I have heard that HL will open a repair depot in Canada, probably in Toronto and perhaps maybe through THC (all speculation) in order to ease the cross border RMA issues. When this happens, and the product has matured, I will reconsider it at another time if it's still even competitive.

You guys can find this FANBOI in the Supreme thread! @MoltenTiger we welcome you to come discuss the most advanced heat exchanger in the industry....and you don't even need to grind! Tough to pocket on the go though :D

Hopper on! :rockon:

7. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

We all have different thresholds for "life changing" experiences as well.

Baron23, Vapor_Eyes, slcbdco and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I'll be happy when you're finally and officially part of the gh family. Regarding the batteries, opinions seem to differ here.

The one constant, I think is that the batteries degrade over time. So I would only get what you expect to use regularly now. Personally, I didn't notice a huge performance difference between the 2 and 1 (other than from age and use degradation), but others have had a different experience and found the 2 to be a noticeable improvement.

For me, 3batteries is fine and I just rotate and charge externally. I don't think you can go wrong with 4 if you have a 4dock external charger.

Hope this helps.

9. btka

btka Well-Known Member

also ordered on monday and got no shipping confirmation... hopefully today...
    BTW I also ordered batteries hope they have them in stock and are not waiting to restock (estimated shipping for batteries was 2-3 days)...

10. luke00978

luke00978 Well-Known Member

yep the springs a firm little one but its there, i have to agree with icon13, there is no way to make these last as a heavy user just have to keep getting them fixed until they sort the design flaws or go bankrupt trying. (3 warranties in 6 months on ss hopper) (1 warranty on ti hopper that was pretty much fucked on arrival, bought ti last month)

11. Jerel56

Jerel56 Member

Does anyone know if Hopper is coming out with a titanium WPA or if that matters at all? I have two titanium hoppers but noticed this only comes in stainless steel.

Thanks in advance for any information as I can't find anything on the Hopper site.

12. diddymao

diddymao aint no party like a diddy party

Ti WPA out later this year i think someone mentioned a few pages back

MoltenTiger and btka like this.
  13. Jerel56

Jerel56 Member

Thanks for the reply!

diddymao likes this.
  14. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I appreciate your honest feedback approach! I bought a hopper from you as well as a new one from HL and don't regret it (and knew what I was getting in to). I do really need a high performance portable. Both for at hotels when travelling, and for quick sessions outside arenas or elsewhere when out of Town. I travel a lot for my son's hockey and spend a lot of time @ arenas :)

The GH is amazingly handy in 2 ways that make it worth it for me. Virtually instantaneous heat up so can be used at short notice and in short time frames (you also don't have to finish a whole session although even dry this can be done in short order). Secondly through water (or dry with cooling) it can produce clouds up there with the best desktops. Also very handy when travelling as bringing corded vaporizers or those with butane torches etc just does not work standing outside a hotel; but my zapubler can easily be pocketed so that works with a preloaded hopper!

Unfortunate about all the RMAs but I am very hopeful that it will eventually smooth out; if not for the lifetime warranty I don't know if I'd be in though (unless it was like a 5 to 10yr warranty anyways)

Give it a year or two and @biohacker will have one again ;)

15. btka

btka Well-Known Member

does someone know if grasshopper labs have batteries in stock.. or are they waiting for restock (delivery)

16. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Actually they are in stock at GHL but nearly at no retailer since months.

Because this is just one issue between GHL and retailers some of them don't want to offer GHs furthermore in the future as I've heard.

vapen00b, Vapor_Eyes and btka like this.
  17. vinhale

vinhale Well-Known Member

I did just now.

Vapor_Eyes and btka like this.
  18. biohacker

Thanks bro, what many people here either don't know, or forget is that this isn't my first spin around the block with the GH. I too was very hopeful that it would eventually smooth out. People were saying they are improved, and better, and now awesome! I don't feel this way. I feel that it's a flakey device that doesn't work consistently, and it is starting to cause me more grief than bliss. It's the most unreliable vape I have ever owned in nearly 11 years of using vapes exclusively.

Maybe you're right, in a year or two i'll own another again. However, in a month or two if you have anymore RMA's, you may start to think differently.

19. btka

btka Well-Known Member

I am missing you already in this thread...

20. biohacker

Thanks bro! I'm still around, and will help where I can! I've received a couple of interesting PM's about HL developments, but think it's a little premature to discuss. But it has to do with more BS, that I hope people aren't falling for. And you know what other threads I most frequent!

21. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

I've been holding off on filing another warranty claim for my SS with the stuck temp dial. It randomly got stuck somehow and I could only adjust the temp by taking off the backend, and it was very hard to adjust even then. Most mysteriously, the small gap at the bottom of the temp dial was gone.

The Grasshopper itself was still functioning really well and so I didn't want to send it in, plus I'm lazy so I haven't done anything about it. I was planning on contacting HL soon, but I just decided to have a go at fixing it. I didn't expect success honestly, but I'm happy to report that I actually solved the problem! I tried a few different things, this is what worked.

I removed the backend from the body. I pressed in the spring loaded battery contact as far as I could. Then, while keeping the contact pressed in, I repeatedly pressed the clicker. I would occasionally rotate/spin the clicker itself, when it was in both the on and off positions.

I did this for a minute, I was about to give up, and to my amazement, the temp dial popped back up and the gap was back. It seemed to be adjusting better but was still a little stiff. I put it back on the body, and while screwing it in the temp dial gap disappeared again and I couldn't adjust it. :hmm:

I repeated this process another time or two with the same results, the gap would reappear until I put the backend on the body, at which point I would be back to square one. I was starting to think it was hopeless.

With nothing to lose I decided to get more aggressive with rotating the clicker, even doing it while I was clicking. After a short time doing this I heard a little click and felt something move. I tested the temp dial and it was much smoother than it was after the previous "fixes". I placed it back on the body and to my surprise the gap remained and I was able to adjust the temp without removing the backend.

Who knows how long this fix will last. I'm picturing the backend popping open like a broken pen in the future. I hope that never happens, but to be honest my hopper's clickers have always felt a little spongy and wonky. I don't like how the clicker freely rotates either. I wish it felt more solid in that regard.

22. Mr.Sifter

Mr.Sifter Well-Known Member

Do you think the hopper is a success for HopperLabs ?
    With all the quality issues and all.

Don't imagine them going out of business and no one left to fix them hoppers ...:|

23. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

You may be right. I've spent money on worse vapes though (for example the MiVape). Part of the fun is the ride :)

24. btka

btka Well-Known Member

every answer to this can only be pure speculation... only hopper labs know...
    but I hope they will stay in business... and I think they will... also in my opinion they will not have problems finding investors... they are really ahead regarding technology... look at arizer or pax or s&b I would say they are in the vaporizer market for a long time and they should have the funds for R&D... and their technology is more or less the same... some new gimmicks but at the end the heater technology did not improove really...
    so I do not fear hopper labs will disappear... and wait for other vapes from HL they have the technology... maybe a hopper with 18650s or a desktop model with their heater technolgy I think they are miles a head...
    if they searching for investors I would jump in... but as far as I know they are not...

BTW hope they will send my performance front end and batteries very soon... I did immidiately purchase on monday...

25. biohacker

Strap on your seatbelt!!!! :D

SMASHING! :brow:

You got that right! My life changing experiences with the GH have changed as many times as i've had to RMA them! :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors