Discontinued The Grasshopper

davesmith

Glass Blower
Wow, this thread exists. Here's to all the non-believers out there!

So if I pre-order now when would I guesstimate shipping? Any clues on how much the price will spike? Will we ever be able to buy one in-store or is that just silly?

I'm pretty fooken excited, was very interested when it was first announced but gave up caring because of the wait. Now seeing this thread in the proper section has really peaked my interest again. You lucky so-and-sos.

hippogriff

The lack of credit given to this team to overcome that each time, is astounding.
It's really not, for the very basic reason that they've sucked so far at expectation management. Hanging out w/ artist/engineer types it's a common problem, people doing excellent work but presenting slow/bumbling. You have to get the right balance of details, touting your problem solving abilities, and demonstrating your expertise, plus if things are going slow, you report ASAP instead of waiting till the next deadline. GH has practiced a vague hopefullness that built expectations but rarely grounded them in the actual work, their choices.

Software was updated post-insulation change, we really need more v1.0 hoppers reviewed. Wonder how the mouthpiece/vapor temps compares to going native on MFLB (mouthpiece/vapor get's uncomfortable for me) or glass mouthpiece on a FlowerMate (mouthpiece can get uncomfortable after back-to-back sessions, vapor is fine)?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Holy Shit!

I just thought "Hmmm, I haven't heard anything new about the Grasshopper, wtf!?!". Thats when I notice we'd started a new thread!!! :o

Well now THIS is exciting!

@baltik any news from the postman? Oh, and what was that blog? I noticed that review blog was taken down

Last edited by a moderator:

midgetsanchez

He said 3 bowls so far lastnight and hasn't died. according to the hopper site and buzz its suppose to last 3-4 bowls

I think that sounds about right; I did do a few small, lightly packed bowls so I may have gotten closer to 5 or 6 bowls (keep in mind, the smaller bowls finish faster). I haven't had a chance to test it fully packed yet as I got absurdly medicated from small amounts (low tolerance perhaps).

The battery life is definitely better than my Crafty, that's for sure. Also, being able to easily swap in a spare is clutch.

shadymilkman

It's really not, for the very basic reason that they've sucked so far at expectation management. Hanging out w/ artist/engineer types it's a common problem, people doing excellent work but presenting slow/bumbling. You have to get the right balance of details, touting your problem solving abilities, and demonstrating your expertise, plus if things are going slow, you report ASAP instead of waiting till the next deadline. GH has practiced a vague hopefullness that built expectations but rarely grounded them in the actual work, their choices.

Software was updated post-insulation change, we really need more v1.0 hoppers reviewed. Wonder how the mouthpiece/vapor temps compares to going native on MFLB (mouthpiece/vapor get's uncomfortable for me) or glass mouthpiece on a FlowerMate (mouthpiece can get uncomfortable after back-to-back sessions, vapor is fine)?

I have a quick question, 'does Apple update you on HW in development at all, let alone 2x a month?' As I said, theres a knock on effect when manufacturing, and making changes pushes each car on the train back. Theres an incredible amount of management esp with small companies having different manufacturers and with so many moving parts (in the supply chain), are interdependent needing to synch perfectly to hit each (announced) date. Which we know they didnt however they told you why; it may not have been 100% of the why, but they let you know something was wrong and changed the dates according to their new expectation. Did they update too often? Should they have allowed a buffer, what would you have said if they buffed 12mos and still blew the date (I believe this is month 20)? Manufacturing miracles do not happen at this scale, you have to wait your turn. I dont think they failed at expectation management so much as your expectations are not aligned with the size, and scope of both the project and company. They dont have to balance anything but making sure the product is as they planned within the reality of their ability to manufacture said product. Everything else is added community outreach. The fact that they were so adamant about informing us 2x a month should be seen as incredible, not lamented because of basic misunderstandings about who you are to this company. They owe you nothing, be grateful that we got as much information as we did. Some projects go dark for 6 mos at a time. Was it the best, probably not.. are they a new company most assuredly yes. As much with the manufacturing they have to learn PR/Communication. However if the people they are communicating with turn their nose up at the information being shared, then its again not their fault.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I figure serial numbers on units may come handy in the future. As an example, if Hopper Labs decides to take away "lifetime warranty" for future units, they'd instantly have a record on hand where the cut off is. Can you imagine how special our GH's would be with a serial number that falls in the Lifetime Warranty range? COLLECTOR's ITEM!! ;)

Or, if they keep records as to which units were assembled by each gh assembler, they'd be able to identify the "weak link" with hoppers that tend to fail faster over the short or long term? <shrug>
Not to mention someone is going to get lucky # 420!

midgetsanchez

IKK6Rq8.jpg

Apologies for the quality (phone flash). When I get a chance this week I'll post some good pics/videos for you guys.

inuhuion

Exactly!!! Do whatever works best for you! And if you aren't vaping at a location where a cold glass of water just isn't convenient or available, take shorter puffs or figure out something else - be inventive and adventurous:-)
I use a travel size spray bottle of chloroseptic.

inuhuion,
Reactions: Snappo

hippogriff

I have a quick question, 'does Apple update you on HW in development at all, let alone 2x a month?' As I said, theres a knock on effect when manufacturing, and making changes pushes each car on the train back. Theres an incredible amount of management esp with small companies having different manufacturers and with so many moving parts (in the supply chain), are interdependent needing to synch perfectly to hit each (announced) date. Which we know they didnt however they told you why; it may not have been 100% of the why, but they let you know something was wrong and changed the dates according to their new expectation. Did they update too often? Should they have allowed a buffer, what would you have said if they buffed 12mos and still blew the date (I believe this is month 20)? Manufacturing miracles do not happen at this scale, you have to wait your turn. I dont think they failed at expectation management so much as your expectations are not aligned with the size, and scope of both the project and company. They dont have to balance anything but making sure the product is as they planned within the reality of their ability to manufacture said product. Everything else is added community outreach. The fact that they were so adamant about informing us 2x a month should be seen as incredible, not lamented because of basic misunderstandings about who you are to this company. They owe you nothing, be grateful that we got as much information as we did. Some projects go dark for 6 mos at a time. Was it the best, probably not.. are they a new company most assuredly yes. As much with the manufacturing they have to learn PR/Communication. However if the people they are communicating with turn their nose up at the information being shared, then its again not their fault.
Oh geez that's a lot of words, assumes a lot of things I didn't say. I am not a backer of Apple, it's a different relationship. The number of updates doesn't solve the content of updates. Many many times GH said "we're close", followed up by nothing, then a new problem reported in the next update, followed by "we're close". No I'm not gonna post direct quotes, my point is simply they didn't have to insinuate they were close, but they did, and we know from the long list of finishing steps they're still going through that it was never true. My feedback is intended to be constructive, I hear that you're frustrated with people feeling owed something here or being ungrateful, that's not me, it's also true that this whole long wait could've been communicated better.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
are we really back to the arguments that a start up company should or shouldnt update about every little thing? They update more than some companies and less than others. They are not required to do what they do with updates. Could they do more? Yeah probably, but they dont... thats that. The product is real (I mean we have a real thread now guyz) So far it seems to be how it is supposed to and within the month more and more people will have them and before you know it they will be shipped as you order.

Lets just stick with bugging the few who have these to keep posting about how awesome it is so we can be more and more anxious to receive our BOXES... and GH vapes themselves too I guess

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I'm thrilled, but kind of puzzled why this thread exists already when exactly one backer has their hopper. Wasn't a mod clarifying on the GH thread candidate that the official thread would only exist after backers and pre-orders have been filled, and regular production is on?

Not a complaint, but so far this thread is pretty much exactly like the last one (substitute sanchez for buzz). So let the speculation continue!!! :)

hippogriff

Now that we're this close (I'm an early November 2013 backer) I have to admit as much as I've pushed expectations away during this long wait, I want this vaporizer to be clearly different than my other choices. @midgetsanchez is getting my hopes up talking about faster & more efficient extraction, that is exactly what I want. Maybe if I'd ever been a cigarette smoker I'd be more into "sessioning", but I'm not, I miss getting where I want to be in 2-3 hits. I know this was the original vision for the Hopper, a vaporizer replacement for a one-hitter, and any big step towards that goal would be a huge improvement over the current field of portables.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
I'm thrilled, but kind of puzzled why this thread exists already when exactly one backer has their hopper. Wasn't a mod clarifying on the GH thread candidate that the official thread would only exist after backers and pre-orders have been filled, and regular production is on?

Not a complaint, but so far this thread is pretty much exactly like the last one (substitute sanchez for buzz). So let the speculation continue!!! :)

Pakalolo said:
@CarolKing is correct. The new thread will be started once they are actually shipping production Grasshoppers. Pre-production review units don't count.

I also want to emphasize that we don't want the new thread clogged up with "I got my tracking number" "When will it arrive" "How long did it take" posts. We have a Grasshopper Shipping Poll thread and you can go wild in it about shipping.
May only be 1 but they have shipped at least 1 production unit

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Now that we're this close (I'm an early November 2013 backer) I have to admit as much as I've pushed expectations away during this long wait, I want this vaporizer to be clearly different than my other choices. @midgetsanchez is getting my hopes up talking about faster & more efficient extraction, that is exactly what I want. Maybe if I'd ever been a cigarette smoker I'd be more into "sessioning", but I'm not, I miss getting where I want to be in 2-3 hits. I know this was the original vision for the Hopper, a vaporizer replacement for a one-hitter, and any big step towards that goal would be a huge improvement over the current field of portables.

Any portable "on demand" vape is essentially a "vaporizer one-hitter". This is not new to the GH, whatever other barriers it may or may not break down. The FF, MFLB, and a few others have covered this territory for years now.

midgetsanchez

May only be 1 but they have shipped at least 1 production unit

There are at least a couple others out there - you'll probably see posts trickle here this week. If any other FC users get their units step up!

I'm working right now but just playing with this in my hand as it feels nice - I do wish it could actually write/function as a pen however...

Maybe someone could create one of those "inkless" metal pen nubs as a tip so it could write? That would be pretty neat...

snamuh

ghost
@shadymilkman the truth spittah!

Nice to hear your thinking of the full spectrum!

Understanding is life.

Can't wait to see a pic of a blue ti in the wild!

I still need to grab a travel water tube. I think I'll end up with a pnwt from sunshine store.

No one really answered this in the last thread.... Does it seem like third party screw on mouth pieces are possible?

Hmm maybe... Longer glass stem, wood....pen.... Xacto knife with heat for cutting plastic... Haha.

Reliable ShotZ

How does the temperature control work? when I finally get mine, would I be able to alter it to 170-180-190-200-210 degrees Celsius. The brochure says it 20 degree gaps between clicks, surely I could modify that?

Reliable ShotZ,
Top Bottom