Discontinued The Grasshopper

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I'm starting to believe I'll have this before my grasshopper, so that's a plus :tup:

my grass hopper is still working good . not that i have pushed it hard or used it a lot , but it sure is a powerful little vape .

its almost to strong for me . im finding im still reaching for my solo so i dont get too stoned lol . but ya it rips real good :D .

I came across something about the Evoke randomly today so I looked that FC thread, seems like we now know who won the race to market between Evoke and Grasshopper, also one "review" of the Evoke said

"4:09 p.m. — With Bhardwaj holding the button for me, I inhale. The vapor tastes kind of plastic. Not clean. Hit two is more tasteless.

4:15 p.m. — More shouty sales pitch stuff. “We’re the only ones with a capsule system! We’re the only one with Bluetooth — you control the heat setting from your phone! We’re the only ones with a patent!”

None of that sounds very impressive to me at this point. I am not high."

Which is a much not a compliment as what you said is a compliment @chris 71! I said a similar thing over in the Davinci IQ thread, I prefer the experience/flavor etc of the grasshopper overall but its definitely for when I want to "BE" high. When I want to "vape" or in other words, I'm more interested in killing time than cancer as it were, I like the Davinci because 10 minutes straight of vaping the grasshopper would have me at 111 instead of just a nice comfortable 11

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So I received my brand new ti and ss GH's (again) and put them through 3 bowls each. I think they work even better than my old ones! The blue flicker is there sometimes, but the performance is off the charts. I don't know if there has been a design change, and it's too early too conclude, but I think the new GH's have better airflow. I've had to slow my draw to compensate, not much...but I think it's there. Could also be that my 2 older hoppers have shit where it shouldn't be....i'm not sure. The extraction is even faster!

I'm glad your new hoppers are doing so well. Almost makes me hope mine suffer catastrophic failure and need replacing. My SS may be getting there soon. Just got it back from the lab a couple of days ago. They could not duplicate the brief-red-light-and-dead syndrome I experienced. Just before that failure I noticed that for the first time, my back end was getting VERY hot. That is still happening since I got it back. Perhaps only a matter of time.

@moondog Did you see the new sneak peek vid of Arizer's new portable? :ko:

Nope. What's it called? I'm almost afraid to look but do you have a link? I couldn't find anything through a search.

biohacker

Arizer Solo . It's here in the Solo thread.

Just had another sesh...big time blue flickering...weak performance...untwist backend, back on... boom back in biz.... this isn't the first time either, but no big deal.

When there is rapid light flickering it's all good to go. When it flickers hard, there must be a conduction issue....still get some vape, but it's like cut by 50% it seems.

More testing!

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
i got a 2nd second hand hopper and it is way out performing my first. I need to try these new batts with the other unit and see, but I think that one is almost out of juice. It gets the hot back often too...threads seem clean but picking up some blutac anyway.

moondog

Just had another sesh...big time blue flickering...weak performance...untwist backend, back on... boom back in biz.... this isn't the first time either, but no big deal.

When there is rapid light flickering it's all good to go. When it flickers hard, there must be a conduction issue....still get some vape, but it's like cut by 50% it seems.

More testing!
Thanks for the link. So it's an upgrade/update on the Solo? Interesting.

guyonthecouch

More testing!
How full do you pack your chambers? I noticed that flickering sometimes is more prevalent with not enough material and too much empty space in the chamber. Sends the heater into overdrive and causes to flicker, my theory at least. Especially if you're running your hopper through glass, it's sucking all the material to the front end and there's prob a gap/air pocket created between heater screen and material. Bigger bowls and clean those threads.. ALL of them ;)

Mr. Me2

How full do you pack your chambers? I noticed that flickering sometimes is more prevalent with not enough material and too much empty space in the chamber. Sends the heater into overdrive and causes to flicker, my theory at least. Especially if you're running your hopper through glass, it's sucking all the material to the front end and there's prob a gap/air pocket created between heater screen and material. Bigger bowls and clean those threads.. ALL of them ;)
Hmmmmm. Definitely worth trying.

biohacker

I definitely notice a difference in airflow between older and newer. And the older hoppers can taste a bit off on max temp because they roast so hot. The newer hoppers extract way faster, substantial airflow improvement IMO, and I never get that gross spent taste if I draw too slow on max temp. This is all very early in the testing process, but the flickering/poor performance seems to be more of a contact issue. As soon as I unscrew/rescrew it's game on! Kinda annoying though, may try a slightly dampened iso q-tip inside the battery area of the body as posted previously if it keeps up.

Back to testing FULL BOWLS!

Mr Mellish

I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood.

Maybe just a peek at the videos.

NO! I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood.....

You fucking need it.

MoltenTiger

Beyond cleaning the threads, make sure the contacts on the battery and back-end are clean too. After some use they get a bit greasy, I usually scrape the positive/negative sides of the battery to clear it off. A dry microfibre cloth or fingernail is good for the back-end contact.

Interesting theory with the loose chamber/flickering lights, I usually pack a full bowl and get solid lights, but I think even hitting with a fresh battery and empty chamber I get solid lights..

Last edited:

ArthurJ

I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood.

Maybe just a peek at the videos.

NO! I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood. I do not need a Firewood.....

Love the Firewood!!!!!

ArthurJ,

moondog

You fucking need it.

<heavy sigh> OK, I need it. NO, NO!! I DON'T NEED IT!!! Do I?

Interesting theory with the loose chamber/flickering lights, I usually pack a full bowl and get solid lights, but I think even hitting with a fresh battery and empty chamber I get solid lights..

Lately I have been packing very light chambers. Just last night I had flickering blue lights from the start. I unscrewed the back end slightly and re-tightened it. Solid blue after that. And I had just cleaned the threads with Blu Tack 3 days prior. I cleaned my hopper thoroughly before sending it in and it returned from the lab pretty gunked up and "needed" a cleaning before I even fired it up.

biohacker

I usually pack a full bowl and get solid lights, but I think even hitting with a fresh battery and empty chamber I get solid lights..

Same on my OG Hoppers... solid, and predictable. The newer generation seems to have two kinds of flicker, a normal flicker which is very quick and not extremely noticeable. This flicker more than likely indicates the battery health, like my OG's the flickering intensity will increase until red. This is perfectly normal behaviour as illustrated in the owner's manual. It can start solid blue, and then start the normal flicker as the battery level goes down.

The other kind of flicker is the one I hate to see, but usually it correlates with "half speed performance", and the vapour production looks the same as using a battery that isn't "fresh". Weak, anemic vapour, that tastes great...but isn't the whitewall it's supposed to be on temp 5. This is the flicker that responds well to the back end twist off/on technique as I personally believe it's a contact/conduction issue.... the back end will also heat up in this state.

Still blown away by all my hoppers!!!

Lately I have been packing very light chambers. Just last night I had flickering lights from the start. I unscrewed the back end slightly and re-tightened it. Solid blue after that. And I had just cleaned the threads with Blu Tack 3 days prior. I cleaned my hopper thoroughly before sending it in and it returned from the lab pretty gunked up and "needed" a cleaning before I even fired it up.

Thanks for your feedback bro, your experience mirrors mine with the flickering.

I can't believe you received your GH back like that.... that happened to me with an Arizer Solo once on an RMA, came back with a bunch of material in the bowl! How professional.

btka

<heavy sigh> OK, I need it. NO, NO!! I DON'T NEED IT!!! Do I?

Lately I have been packing very light chambers. Just last night I had flickering blue lights from the start. I unscrewed the back end slightly and re-tightened it. Solid blue after that. And I had just cleaned the threads with Blu Tack 3 days prior. I cleaned my hopper thoroughly before sending it in and it returned from the lab pretty gunked up and "needed" a cleaning before I even fired it up.

did I get it right.. you cleaned your hopper before sending and received it gunked up... so they us3d it with herb? do they repaired your gh or only checked it if it is working all right and send it back to you stating it is behaving normal... 7f they repaired it does it works now better... e.g. better airflow as @biohacker stated or other differences... hope they will clean mine before sending back to europe..

MoltenTiger

The other kind of flicker is the one I hate to see, but usually it correlates with "half speed performance", and the vapour production looks the same as using a battery that isn't "fresh". Weak, anemic vapour, that tastes great...but isn't the whitewall it's supposed to be on temp 5. This is the flicker that responds well to the back end twist off/on technique as I personally believe it's a contact/conduction issue.... the back end will also heat up in this state.
This sounds exactly like the problem I was having with a single back-end, so it likely is conduction related.
However I've explained this to people with seemingly the same symptoms and swapping back-ends didn't show it to be the cause of the problem.

For me it definitely was, which was easy to see, and now I have the replacement it is back to performing awesomely.

The back-end I had problems with was GT001159, so made from pretty early components.
It took almost 8 months for the back-end to become a constant problem (it functioned badly periodically over its life)

o they us3d it with herb?
Pretty sure he was referring to the back-end threads being gritty?

I'd be interested to here some persuasion, but I imagine neither you or I need one. I like the aesthetics, but I don't really see the appeal from my standing point of a desktop and two portables that do just what I want.

Incidentally the power just cut off, which got me thinking that, if anything, a 4th vape should be butane powered

Have you tried pushing the clicker to one side or another instead of twisting the back-end off?

Last edited:

moondog

I can't believe you received your GH back like that.... that happened to me with an Arizer Solo once on an RMA, came back with a bunch of material in the bowl! How professional.

I know I cleaned it thoroughly before sending it out to avoid any possibility of hassles. So I was surprised to see debris in the chamber when I opened it. I could understand loading it to see if it does the job but I would have expected they would brush it out afterwards. And the Back end threads were pretty gunked up as if from heavy usage. I almost wonder if it's the same body.:shrug:

did I get it right.. you cleaned your hopper before sending and received it gunked up... so they us3d it with herb? do they repaired your gh or only checked it if it is working all right and send it back to you stating it is behaving normal... 7f they repaired it does it works now better... e.g. better airflow as @biohacker stated or other differences... hope they will clean mine before sending back to europe..

You got it right. It does appear to have been used with some sort of material. Caroline said she was unable to duplicate the problem and it was sent back without repair. I would not say it was working better now. The back end heats up way more than it used to and last night I got severely flickering blue lights that were eliminated by slightly unscrewing and re-tightening the back end. Something I had not experienced before.

Pretty sure he was referring to the back-end threads being gritty?

Not only were the back end threads gunked up (Blu Tack took off a LOT of stuff - more than I've ever noticed before), there was spent material in the chamber. It's not like I opened it and it was fully packed or anything, but there were definitely remnants of a pack in there.

I'd be interested to here some persuasion, but I imagine neither you or I need one. I like the aesthetics, but I don't really see the appeal from my standing point of a desktop and two portables that do just what I want.

Incidentally the power just cut off, which got me thinking that, if anything, a 4th vape should be butane powered

Yeah, I don't really see the need for another vape right now. All my usage scenarios are covered by what I've already got. That's just the VAS talking. (Shut up, VAS!!!) I am scared of butane and have no interest in exploring that realm.

Have you tried pushing the clicker to one side or another instead of twisting the back-end off?

That's an interesting idea given Caroline's theory that my hopper's failure was due to the pin in the clicker becoming misaligned. I'll try to remember to try that if it happens again.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
This one attached - one big draw on 3.5- no harshness at all, got me almost choking. Impressive but certainly a waste of precious vapor. Anyways, nice to have gone full throttle again with this one. Been a while, still kills the shit beastly!! :clap::rockon: Got me flying for hours. :ko:

It's an 18 mm flared mouthpiece stem by @Oregonglassblower - securely hooked with a piece of silicone. I can lift it and toss around, stays attached nicely.

Big and cool dry rips? Think about this:
UvXB22a.jpg

Enjoy!
:peace:

Last edited:

btka

If the grasshopper is working it is really the best vape I ever had...
I have two ghs...
one I send in for repair (cop lights) for the third time (did get before that the body replaced)
I experienced until now 3 time cop lights one time red light then turning off and now immidiatly blue light but no heat (not enough heat to vaporize... to be honest I am a little bit frustrated...

did not find any info regarding immidiatly blue lights (on all temps) but no heat on ghls troubleshooting guide... do you know what is the problem or if their is a way to fix it...

snorcan

Stay charged, my friends
Some of you might be interested in this recently posted review of the grasshopper by local Toronto shill of a vape shop, TorontoV. Even though I've purchased a few vapes from these guys (and gals), they are always pushing their Fliwermate rebrands the "Smite" and other mumystery rebrands the "Utilian," and I believe that they unfairly critique other vapes in order to draw attention to their own products.

https://torontovaporizer.ca/blog/grasshopper-vaporizer-review/

What gets my goat about this review is their assessment of battery life. I've used a number of GHL batteries, GHB1 and 2, and have consistently been rewarded with 2-4 bowls, not draws from a full battery. Yes I realize that experience differs from person to person, but any less than 2 full bowls should be the exception, or the norm.

One hour till hoppity-hop time!!

duff

Well worn
What gets my goat about this review is their assessment of battery life.
TBH, it seems like a pretty fair and accurate review. They didn't even mention the wait time, inaccurate shipping estimates or repeated failures.

duff,

Mr. Me2

Some of you might be interested in this recently posted review of the grasshopper by local Toronto shill of a vape shop, TorontoV. Even though I've purchased a few vapes from these guys (and gals), they are always pushing their Fliwermate rebrands the "Smite" and other mumystery rebrands the "Utilian," and I believe that they unfairly critique other vapes in order to draw attention to their own products.

https://torontovaporizer.ca/blog/grasshopper-vaporizer-review/

What gets my goat about this review is their assessment of battery life. I've used a number of GHL batteries, GHB1 and 2, and have consistently been rewarded with 2-4 bowls, not draws from a full battery. Yes I realize that experience differs from person to person, but any less than 2 full bowls should be the exception, or the norm.

One hour till hoppity-hop time!!
Interesting that they picture the old style gh charger. I wonder if that, with (maybe) ghb1 batteries gave them such poor battery performance. And apparently they don't read this thread to learn best practices lip placement to avoid the need for the condom.

Top Bottom