Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

HL could use a better editor :freak:
Nonetheless, an interesting development.

Here's the full blog excerpt
WELCOME TO THE HOPPER LABS BLOG

In this blog we’ll talk user tips, company updates, how we built the Hopper, and answer any questions you post on forums, social media, or send to us directly. Today we're talking about what sets the Grasshopper apart from other vaporizers on the market.

Many of you know the Grasshopper is a pure convection vaporizer, but we still get lots of questions about what that means.

The Hopper holds dry herbs in a chamber. The chamber is separated from a very powerful heating element by a screen. When you turn the Grasshopper on, the LED lights will be red to indicate the device is heating. Then, the LED Lights will turn blue showing the heating element has reached the temperature you set on the dial.

At this point, the herbs in your chamber are not warm. When you take a draw, you’re pulling air through the heater. This heated (air) passes over the herbs causing vaporization. At no point do the herbs come into direct contact with the heater.

Once the herbs are vaporized, the vapor (only travels) a short distance before reaching the user. This is different from most other vaporizers, which (generally) have a longer vapor pathway. Long vapor pathways allow (more) time for oil to condense, creating (a less) efficient experience and making a sticky mess.

Imagine a kettle of boiling water. You can stick you(r) head directly over the steam and inhale, or you could run the steam down (through?) a long glass tube and inhale the steam that was coming out the end. The difference would be that water, or condensation, would build up all along the inside of the glass tube. This condensation is what happens with devices with a long vapor path.
(This is a bit of a strange comparison, whilst it instils the idea of recondensation, it's not really a great analogy for vaping between different devices. That is more similar to a short stem/long stem difference (when inhaling steam through a straw), where the GH simply has a shorter, less constrictive path with less surface area to collect resin. It certainly still does collect resin, just not heaps of it quickly like a lot of other options).

Together, the short vapor path and convection heating result in efficient vaporization. It’s quick and effective. You also don’t miss out on any of the active ingredients because the short vapor path results in no (minimal!) residue build up. These design features mean the Grasshopper isn't (made to be) used like other vaporizers because the Hopper is packed full of power! So, to get the best use out of it (and your batteries), you shouldn’t take long, slow draws. This method isn't ideal for the Hopper because of two reasons:

1. A slow draw amplifies the time you are exposed to hot vapor. The short vapor path means the vapor coming out is hot and the density of active ingredients is high. Don't make the mistake of thinking a longer draw is always better.
  2. A longer draw will allow unnecessary heat to build up throughout the device. The Hopper will become unpleasantly warm on the exterior.
We recommend firm draws that last about 10-20 seconds. Since the Grasshopper is so effective, that’s all you need to get a solid hit. We also recommend clicking off your device right (just?) before the end or right after your draw. This will save your battery life and give your Hopper a moment to cool off before your next hit. If you’re passing the Hopper to a friend, (you can) continue to pull air through the device after clicking it off so that the vapor and device will cool off (down?) before handing it over.

Do you have any usage tips? What are your favorite ways to use the Grasshopper? Share your photos or videos with us or send questions and the topics you want to be discussed on this blog at blog@grasshoppervape.com.

Hopper Labs
The last tidbit with 10-20s draws is interesting, I typically drag at 15-30s (herb-kief) and I do wonder about the internal thermal dynamics. If I was to cut my inhale capacity in thirds, would I have better efficacy from the active material from repetative exposure, or is it better for blood concentration, and hence effect, to squeeze in the maximum quantity of vapour?
I feel like taking one big hit has more effect than having a few small hits. Perhaps in quick succession the efficacy is similar?
How much degradation does the GH inflict to a chambers worth over time? It seems to waste very little inbetween draws, but if it cools down between hits, how long does that typically take (it is partially insulated) and how reaccessible are the compounds after initial thermal change? Decarboxylation will occur resulting in higher concentrations of d9THC from THCA, but at what rate does this occur? Is it possible that staggered hits produce higher concentrations of this key psychoactive constituent during the second hit after acids have been converted? Or is it instantaneous meaning it happens when it's heated so staggering will not affect concentration?
How much Lab can the hopper guys bring

I read someone on this forum made some worthwhile changes to their usage after the latest tips and tricks update, so perhaps when today's hopping comes around I will review that and try to mix it up a little.
Though last night I finished with a couple of rounds of kief bombs, so my tolerance is up there

Last edited:

ArthurJ

How realistic is the 3-4 weeks it says to ship if I buy a new hopper. Are they still backed up?

They have said that they will be caught up with pre-orders this week, at least that's how I understood last weeks message. I've been waiting since March and I'm expecting a shipping confirmation any day.

Whether they can get a new order shipped in 3-4 weeks or not is anybody's guess, I think.

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
Hey guys, I need to send my damaged Grasshopper body back to hopper labs after just getting a working replacement in the mail. What's the best way to do that? The unit has been used.

sk8man121,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hey guys, I need to send my damaged Grasshopper body back to hopper labs after just getting a working replacement in the mail. What's the best way to do that? The unit has been used.

Try giving it a quick ISO swab, then pop it into the heavy duty plastic ziplock pouch your replacement came in and post it back to them in a Jiffy Bubble Envelope.

To help them out I also wrote out the Serial number and warranty case number on a post-it and put that in there too.

Purple Lava Lamp

How realistic is the 3-4 weeks it says to ship if I buy a new hopper. Are they still backed up?
How "realistic"?

Did you ever see a movie called "The NeverEnding Story" about a boy who rides on the back of a fuzzy, talking "Luckdragon" named Falcor around the fantasy world called Fantasia?

I'd say The NeverEnding Story is more realistic than 3-4 weeks shipping on new orders.

I base this on the fact that I ordered a GH 10 months ago (in February) they told me it would ship in April, and I still don't have it.

They say that they're "nearly" all caught up on all pre-orders... but they have literally been saying that for several months now.

If you want to calculate a "realistic" shipping estimation, don't go by what Hopper Labs says, go by what people are posting on the Grasshopper Shipping Poll thread.

Last edited:
Last night i tried it outside it was about 30 degrees. Could not make it work using all tricks. Got home. When it warmed up it worked normally. Almost for sure battery issues. I am surprised more people have not seen. Mine when cold showed red never blue and cop lights.

Looks like this was just before hopper death. mailed warranty request to support@.... darn baaa

Gh got back saying to register but i cannot find it on the website.

Last edited:
MonsterWithoutBorders,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
How "realistic"?
If you want to calculate a "realistic" shipping estimation, don't go by what Hopper Labs says, go by what people are posting on the Grasshopper Shipping Poll thread.

The shipping poll thread is a great place for tracking the fulfillment of orders for those purchasers who happen to participate here on FC, but I would not recommend using it as a barometer of GHL's progress on their order backlog. It's always encouraging to see a new batch of address/shipping confirmations go out, but the folks on the thread have no more concrete information than anyone else who doesn't work at GHL and in between those flurries of confirmations it's all hopperless angst and speculation. Yeah, it helps pass the time, but won't be of any prognosticatory (I think I made that up) assistance.

Purple Lava Lamp

The shipping poll thread is a great place for tracking the fulfillment of orders for those purchasers who happen to participate here on FC, but I would not recommend using it as a barometer of GHL's progress on their order backlog. It's always encouraging to see a new batch of address/shipping confirmations go out, but the folks on the thread have no more concrete information than anyone else who doesn't work at GHL and in between those flurries of confirmations it's all hopperless angst and speculation. Yeah, it helps pass the time, but won't be of any prognosticatory (I think I made that up) assistance.
I beg to differ, Moondog...

It's not as if there's no rhyme or reason to how/when Hopper Labs ships their pre-orders. They are shipping them out in the order they were received. The shipping poll thread allows those of us who are still waiting for their orders to compare notes (order dates and order numbers) and experiences to try and determine how far along Hopper Labs REALLY is in regard to catching up on their outstanding pre-orders. And there's 212 pages that clearly show that they are (currently, as of the last day or two) shipping orders that were placed in early February 2016.

Which is why it's extra frustrating to hear the repeated claims that they are nearly caught up. We KNOW that they aren't. All you have to do is review the last few pages of the shipping thread to see exactly how far along they are.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
At last!! My dreams are finally coming true.. I got a tracking number 2 days ago.. So to my surprise I will be finally having xmas with my GH!! woohooo... fingers crossed I won't be needing to send it back for a replacement.
Btw, the other day I was at my friend's that had ordered one from vapefiend. While I was looking at it and experiencing my first tokes through a bong the first one and then through the mouthpiece itself, I noticed that you really have to draw firmly to get an decent hit. Glass is the best combination as far as I can see it and something about the battery. The guy had only one at the moment which at some point after the 3rd or 4th load started blinking red. We put it on the external charger and it was @ almost 32-33%.. so that means that to get some good hits you definitely need a more than 40% battery charge?

Something else that I noticed as well.. vapefiend still has the old model shipping, with the old charger and GHB1 batts. I guess it's a matter of sending out his last batch and getting the new one. Speaking of batteries, when we finished the last load and I felt the battery it was slightly warm. nothing more.

At least though, with all this reading and time engagement I will be getting my GH with a much higher standard and understanding than getting one without knowing anything on the background...
And now a little more patience and hopefully soon I will be reporting back to u holding a GH on the back of my ear... :p :D

biohacker

Remember when u first got your hopper and you were like "holy crap this thing is awesome! And small, and cool to hold and play with. And how the first huge hit you were like "holy cow this thing is s monster" well I'm there right now!

Not only do I remember....i'm still there right now! In 30 mins my Mighty will have a new home! Just feels like a dinosaur in comparison!

moondog

I beg to differ, Moondog...

It's not as if there's no rhyme or reason to how/when Hopper Labs ships their pre-orders. They are shipping them out in the order they were received. The shipping poll thread allows those of us who are still waiting for their orders to compare notes (order dates and order numbers) and experiences to try and determine how far along Hopper Labs REALLY is in regard to catching up on their outstanding pre-orders. And there's 212 pages that clearly show that they are (currently, as of the last day or two) shipping orders that were placed in early February 2016.

Which is why it's extra frustrating to hear the repeated claims that they are nearly caught up. We KNOW that they aren't. All you have to do is review the last few pages of the shipping thread to see exactly how far along they are.
Agreed PLL, what I meant was that those of us on the thread (I only graduated from there recently myself) don't have any inside info as to what new obstacles GHL might be dealing with. We can see to a certain extent where they ARE, but we can't tell where they will be or when. Since the original question was about how realistic their 3-4 week estimate was, I was referring to our ability to know what factors might be lurking to screw up their estimate.

All good...

JoeMama

Remember when u first got your hopper and you were like "holy crap this thing is awesome! And small, and cool to hold and play with. And how the first huge hit you were like "holy cow this thing is s monster" well I'm there right now!

I do, Chillers, I do... In fact, I'm there right now too. And I've had mine for 6 months!

So I finally got this in the mail. Kudos, @Kasish ! A very well-made piece of vape-quenching glasswork!

This is a classy piece of work, so, it deserves a classy backdrop.

8d3kM5m.jpg

SO nice... fits perfectly with the silicon MP (of which I bought extra so I can leave it in there, dedicated to the assembly; it stays in, which is nice that it doesn't flop back out; easy enough to remove for cleaning).
And the rip is great! The extra vapor path is just enough to completely cool the draw, so, big rips are easy to do by accident. Like right now. Wwweeeeeeee!!!:rofl:

moondog

I do, Chillers, I do... In fact, I'm there right now too. And I've had mine for 6 months!

So I finally got this in the mail. Kudos, @Kasish ! A very well-made piece of vape-quenching glasswork!

Nice!!

I'm in the same place you are Joe. I am just LOVIN' this vape. But then, the audio engineer in me loves shiny pieces of gear that you can fuss over.:)

JoeMama

Nice!!

I'm in the same place you are Joe. I am just LOVIN' this vape. But then, the audio engineer in me loves shiny pieces of gear that you can fuss over.:)
Yeah, I can dig that, Moon. It's incredible how AE isn't anything like it was when home studio recording began its boom in the 80's! A bong sitting on the console doesn't quite send that hi-tech message:cheers:

moondog

Yeah, I can dig that, Moon. It's incredible how AE isn't anything like it was when home studio recording began its boom in the 80's! A bong sitting on the console doesn't quite send that hi-tech message:cheers:
Ah yes, the glory days of 4-track cassette recorders.

Bongs may be out of fashion, but any studio worth its salt still has a lava lamp!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Ah yes, the glory days of 4-track cassette recorders.

Bongs may be out of fashion, but any studio worth its salt still has a lava lamp!
Spolier Alert, completely off-thread, but geez @moondog, you had to mention 4 track...

A Tascam 4 track cassette and Shure SM-58 started my always humble home studio in the '90's.
Went to primarily digital recording in the late '90's (boy,was that a frustrating process on a budget), then 5 years ago I reluctantly had to pack it ALL away to make room for a long-term house guest. I had recently been thinking of resurrecting the Tascam, but...
Last week I ordered a $7 adapter wire and yesterday made a surprisingly high qualitiy audio recording using a condenser mic and my smart phone (okay, I went through a small practice amp for a mixer/lite effects). Plus there's HD video, but I don't impress myself too much with that! I know this is not shocking new tech, but it's a revelation for me! I'm hoping it's not the start of a new Aquisition Syndrome.

No vapes back then! I pretty much chain smoked alternating between cigs and brick weed joints...

Sorry I've strayed from the path...

Boy, I'm still thinking about that picture of the Hoppers waiting to be released into the wild!

MoltenTiger

This is a classy piece of work, so, it deserves a classy backdrop.

8d3kM5m.jpg

SO nice... fits perfectly with the silicon MP (of which I bought extra so I can leave it in there, dedicated to the assembly; it stays in, which is nice that it doesn't flop back out; easy enough to remove for cleaning).
And the rip is great! The extra vapor path is just enough to completely cool the draw, so, big rips are easy to do by accident. Like right now. Wwweeeeeeee!!!:rofl:
That looks most excellent

Do you think it would work with an O-ring instead of the silicone cap?

CapitalFlower

So I just had a sesh with the GH and I noticed for the first time, the back end started to get very hot. In fact the whole Hopper got quite hot, more than usual.

Does a hot back-end mean imminent failure?

CapitalFlower,
Top Bottom