Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

Anyone else have both and notice this? Hopper does balance this by producing great vape volume.

One thing to look out for is variation of production as battery gets low on charge; I think it can go down significantly, even though light is still blue (or flickering blue).
I've only tried the Mighty, don't own it, but from my limited experience I found it to be remarkably tastier than the hopper, and not only that but the flavour sustained for nearly the whole bowl. Through glass it was faint, but consistent and still super tasty.
The hopper extracts rapidly and offers a curved vapor production, spiking early, where as the Mighty is a session sipper and the vapour production plateaues from the start and lasts ages.
Both get you ripped, but the hopper does it quicker.

I have noticed, especially with my new batteries with maximum capacity, the flickering lights seem to be a good time to switch batteries, vapor production is noticeably better with solid lights.
The GHB2s are holding up well, for the record. Have started getting occasional cop lights on my second blue Ti.. it's possible it just needs a good clean, but I expect having a back-up will be coming in handy yet again.

I often select 4.20 on the dial, just because.
I've been doing this lately, there's a small cloud reduction but the taste is awesome.

SilentRunner

Has anybody seen a picture of what a grasshopper looks like after the battery exploded? The shape of the gh body could act like a grenade and amplify the force of an exploding battery. I hope ghl has tested this. I wouldn't want an exploding gh near my face, obviously, and reading about warm batteries got me a little worried

SilentRunner,

Office_Printer

Has anybody seen a picture of what a grasshopper looks like after the battery exploded? The shape of the gh body could act like a grenade and amplify the force of an exploding battery. I hope ghl has tested this. I wouldn't want an exploding gh near my face, obviously, and reading about warm batteries got me a little worried
The battery compartment is not sealed. A venting battery would vent through the holes where the LED shines through. It should not be able to build up enough pressure to turn into a pipe bomb.

JoeMama

I'm not an expert on batteries, nor do I play one on TV, but, methinks when a battery "explodes", and that battery is vented, then it doesn't just "explode". AND, that brings me to a question about this:

I've seen videos of batteries "exploding", and every time I've seen it happen, the device seems to be in someone's pocket or in other words, not in use. Is this an inaccurate generality I'm making here? I wonder... if the battery is "being discharged" through use at the moment, does that reduce volatility during those few seconds?

Anyone? Bueller?

biohacker

Anyone know why the temp range starts at 130c instead of something more useable? Just seems like the entire dial should be from 3-5, even though it is quite sensitive to adjustment within the marks as well.

Both SS and Ti Hoppers keep blowing me away! Love 'em both! :rockon:

UnshavenFish

Anyone know why the temp range starts at 130c instead of something more useable? Just seems like the entire dial should be from 3-5, even though it is quite sensitive to adjustment within the marks as well.

I would guess for other herbs, things like tobacco need a lower temp than we use for the good stuff.

biohacker

Good point, I was ignorant as to how low temp some herbs vape up... I just assume that everyone that owns a GH will use it for cannabis exclusively! lol

I personally have no use for anything under temp 4, so I just wish I had more than an 1/8"o work with. Even my wife, who is the lowest temp vaporist you will ever meet (155c-160c), is over 3 on the dial, so I still think for like 99% of the customers, alot of the dial does not get used. I wish it was calibrated better, but it's a pretty minor thing overall considering the fantastic build quality of the dial.

I'm pleased to report that I have had no hot back end or front end or out of middle body experiences so far!

Other observations include being able to hear the heater clicking and I can hear them charging as well!

klipsch

Received my replacement back end today.

Pros: No longer gets unbearably hot; Heats up much quicker; Ticking noise is quieter

Cons: Serial number is no longer in the very low digits; Font changed from serif to sans serif (I prefer the original font)

Conclusion: function > aesthetics x 1000

We'll that was short lived. Rapid red lights flashing upon first use now. Kind of annoyed that they still don't have this figured out..

klipsch,

Hawk

I'm not an expert on batteries, nor do I play one on TV, but, methinks when a battery "explodes", and that battery is vented, then it doesn't just "explode". AND, that brings me to a question about this:

I've seen videos of batteries "exploding", and every time I've seen it happen, the device seems to be in someone's pocket or in other words, not in use. Is this an inaccurate generality I'm making here? I wonder... if the battery is "being discharged" through use at the moment, does that reduce volatility during those few seconds?

Anyone? Bueller?

No. Batteries that vent are venting because they are short circuiting or something is pulling more amps than it can handle. If a battery was vented in a device that was enclosed and no venting then yes that device could explode like a pipe bomb. That is why most vaping devices have venting holes to prevent that.

Then of course there is the matter of what chemistry is in the battery. Li-ion batteries can have different chemistry. Something like ICR batteries will actually go thermal and are very dangerous when vented. IMR and INR Li-ions, which we hope GH uses, are safe chemistry. They vent much safer. Can still possibly set fires but no where near as bad as ICR LI-ions that go thermal. Still requires proper care. You shouldn't worry about the GH exploding. But as been proven already there is a possibility of the battery venting as has already happened. It looked like the person it happened to used a battery where the wrap was compromised, but not positive.

Either way, whether safe chemistry or not, you should always apply proper battery care. Avoid any situation where the battery can short like tossing them in a pocket with change.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

I don't know how accurate the temps are considering I can get visibile vapor below 2, if the chamber is fully loaded that is. It's great tasty and much cooler, energetic heady highs, great with a full oven of course-ground nice herbs... I'd recommend trying it if you haven't, it's fun, and basically like the dial works to select how fast you want to extract your herbs. You can temp step or go as long as possible on the low end, I like a few hits slowly working up the dial, for a small pinch load I'll start on 4 or above though (often through water)

And those were some nice new tips they posted, getting ready for prime time I imagine, almost caught up to orders finally?

Meanwhile mine just died again, the body was replaced, then the back end, now I get red and blue flashers suddenly, though honestly it had been underperforming lately vapor production wise, battery life wise, and hit back end wise... My Blue Ti still holding up all good @AJS or did you have to register it for warranty service yet? Knock on wood :uhoh::tinfoil:
Not to :horse: just an update ;)
A fine vape when it works, despite a few limitations (and not being my favorite like I had expected). Will be nice to have a fresh one back soon with their latest improvements (new charger? New batteries?)... Hop along folks

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
Anybody got word on the oil cartridges? I've sent questions regarding it and they send me a multitude of the same email. I'm guessing they are avoiding refunding original backers money and never getting to it. It's been years now. They've been holding out for way too long. I need an explanation otherwise this will go out of hand due to incompletion of the original backer's campaign and some cannot fathom waiting years longer for it..

MoltenTiger

I don't know how accurate the temps are considering I can get visibile vapor below 2, if the chamber is fully loaded that is.
I don't know how accurate they are either, though it seems to be quite responsive, even to small adjustments. I mostly roast on 5, but I feel this is probably not the best way to vape for a few reasons.
THC has been found in vapour at 140°C, benzene at 200°C.
185°C is a bit of a sweet spot for THC extraction, but of course there are many more constituents to cannabis, so plenty of visible off gas isn't to be unexpected at lower temps.
I have witnessed heavy THC inhibition caused by a temp 2 toke, devil eyes and the mere ability to muster "this is good shiiit", but they had little to no tolerance. Nonetheless, an interesting observation given the 150°C setting, and the 157°C (most often cited) boiling temp of THC at 1atm. (you get steam at temps much lower than 100°C whilst boiling water on the stove, especially with a lid on the pot. Water vapour is gradually released until the excitement of the molecule is unhindered by the pressures exerted by the atmosphere, at which point the mass begins boiling (at a critical temp) and the steam is plentiful to the point of recondensation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if aeronautical engineers utilised pressure fluctuation in the general dynamics of their product, the instance of dragging on the device is enough to do it.)
So who knows how accurate the device is, but it does manage consistency when everything is working as it should. It definitely has better control fidelity than my EQ desktop too.
The key factor of the GH is that its heating element isn't required to heat up beyond the desired temperature, which leads me to think that its design offers the potential for extreme temperature accuracy. Of course there are many variables and no one has publicly taken one apart to scrutinise the inner workings, but all the theory is there and outlaid by HL, so yeah the grain of salt is sizeable but the jury is still out.

Meanwhile mine just died again, the body was replaced, then the back end, now I get red and blue flashers suddenly, though honestly it had been underperforming lately vapor production wise
That sucks, one of mine is on the way out too I'm guessing. Similar symptoms.
I've noticed that in the dying phase, performance either drops or increases. Having an "overclocked" hopper is an awesome time, before they break.
When performance swings the other way, it's just bad all round.

They've been holding out for way too long
Yeah, they have gotten away with actual protocol breaches. If there's one thing people should be pissed at HL for, that has the best grounds to be reasonably so.
It annoys me, and I'm not owed one, nor do I even want one.
They need to sort that out, and make a more durable product.
(or perhaps, make a more durable product, and then sort out non-essential accessories. In my mind though, and I'm sure many purchasers, the case and oils front-end are essential as they've been sold and promised already, they need at least some priority and to be properly addressed)
It wasn't all that long ago, in the grand scheme of things, where their initial pipe dream was as optimistic and doubted, so here's to hoping they can pull it together yet again.

Last edited:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I don't know how accurate the temps are considering I can get visibile vapor below 2, if the chamber is fully loaded that is. It's great tasty and much cooler, energetic heady highs, great with a full oven of course-ground nice herbs... I'd recommend trying it if you haven't, it's fun, and basically like the dial works to select how fast you want to extract your herbs. You can temp step or go as long as possible on the low end, I like a few hits slowly working up the dial, for a small pinch load I'll start on 4 or above though (often through water)

And those were some nice new tips they posted, getting ready for prime time I imagine, almost caught up to orders finally?

Meanwhile mine just died again, the body was replaced, then the back end, now I get red and blue flashers suddenly, though honestly it had been underperforming lately vapor production wise, battery life wise, and hit back end wise... My Blue Ti still holding up all good @AJS or did you have to register it for warranty service yet? Knock on wood :uhoh::tinfoil:
Not to :horse: just an update ;)
A fine vape when it works, despite a few limitations (and not being my favorite like I had expected). Will be nice to have a fresh one back soon with their latest improvements (new charger? New batteries?)... Hop along folks

I also have noticed very strong head effects using the Grasshopper at 1.5-2.5 range. There are many more cannabinoids that's THC and CBD and than we even know about. I don't know what those low temp cannabinoids do, but more importantly, there is increasing research showing that it's actually the terpenes that give the pyschoactive effects and that cannabinoids simply open pathways for the terpenes. Makes sense particularly if you have noticed that you are more reactive to strains than potency. For me for example, citirus heavy strains get me super high, even at 14% where I can vape a 25% Durban all day and be very clear due to the pinene.

biohacker

My wife was using temp 2 and I definitely saw visible vapour! Wow!

I've got an issue with my Ti with respect to the front end...hopefully i'm not hooped. I noticed that the front end wouldn't screw on the body all the way....there was a slight gap. My SS front end fits on seamlessly, and the Ti front end also leaves a gap (albeit a touch less) on the SS body.

I tried to ISO overnight but still, no matter how hard I tried, it still doesn't go all the way. So I figured that the screen perhaps wasn't flush, and I ended up taking a poker and poking the screen out. Now what? How do I get this screen back in there? Or does the entire inner part of the front end also come out?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, hopefully before my wife gets back home, as the Ti has been claimed to be hers now! lol I was just trying to make it look nicer! lol

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My wife was using temp 2 and I definitely saw visible vapour! Wow!

I've got an issue with my Ti with respect to the front end...hopefully i'm not hooped. I noticed that the front end wouldn't screw on the body all the way....there was a slight gap. My SS front end fits on seamlessly, and the Ti front end also leaves a gap (albeit a touch less) on the SS body.

I tried to ISO overnight but still, no matter how hard I tried, it still doesn't go all the way. So I figured that the screen perhaps wasn't flush, and I ended up taking a poker and poking the screen out. Now what? How do I get this screen back in there? Or does the entire inner part of the front end also come out?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, hopefully before my wife gets back home, as the Ti has been claimed to be hers now! lol I was just trying to make it look nicer! lol

Go to the resource thread, scroll about half way down the page for a lot about mouthpiece and screen. There's a video, then a suggestion for a pair of tweezers, a good tool for re-assembly.
http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

Occasional screen removal can help with a deeper cleaning, however,
It's possible too that a tiny leaf or buildup was on the female threads inside mouthpiece; that can prevent the mp from seating all the way down. If gently poking in there and iso doesn't do it, then the process of removing screen can clear the threads.

I had one that within days of new became loose (mp screen) and soon went through the same as you, backed it out with a dental poker. It continued to loosen occasionally until I picked up the fine tweezers and was able to really snug it down better.

My wife has also been taken by the Ti, so I'm relegated to the SS. The sacrifices we make!

Good luck!

CapitalFlower

For some reason the GH makes me cough much more than other vapes, even through a bubbler. I've previously owned the V-Tower, Inhalters, Storm and Pinnacle Pro, and the GH is by far the worst in terms of harshness/coughing

CapitalFlower,

biohacker

That's interesting, i'm the complete opposite.... I can crush an entire bowl on 5 in one rip (bubbler), and it doesn't even feel like I have inhaled vapour! Definite voodoo in this thing that I can't wrap my finger around. Typically convection vapes like the vriptech, cloud/evo, herbalizer, lsv, nano, rip my lungs apart, but not the GH! It's been a nice change from my hybrid heating Mighty... strains taste so different! The GH dry though I find the temp of vapour can easily be manipulated through your draw speed. It sure can get warm when you draw slow!

Does anyone know if the screen inside the front end can be purchased separately from the actual front end? I kinda mangled mine up trying to remove it like a neanderthal.

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
Happy to report that I just received a new SS hopper body in the mail from Hopper Labs this morning after putting a warranty request in only 4 days ago, and I live in Maine. Are you kidding me? Insanely quick service, especially given everyone's problems with CS mentioned in prior pages of the thread.

Oh, and it works. The cop lights are gone. I notice that the back end is still getting quite hot right at the point where the threading attaches while taking each hit. Is this normal? Should I ask for a new back-end as well?

So when it comes to shipping the damaged body back to HL, what's the best protocol for doing so? The unit had been used on 15-20 occasions and is not without residue.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
"Look for a new series of the design elements of the Grasshopper, insight on how we did it and why it is important."

Would like to know what this means.

Yeah, they could not have worded this more confusingly. So I asked...

Hi There,

We have a new web series in development that will provide more usage information, details about the team, the Hopper, and our design for it. It will have some weekly(ish) updates with some good information for the user. This is still in the works so keep an ear out for more information.

Best,
Caroline

mephisto

@CG420 I inquired about a refund for the oils front end and the stainless carry case over 2 months ago. I was told "there are no refunds for campaign perks." So I guess we can just wait, that appears to be the option.

Purple Lava Lamp

And if you prefer a hard case (like me), @Kfirrer does a brilliant case which I can vouch for (as suggested above by purple lava lamp)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grasshopper-vape-case-/282115782363

Not a looker up close, but very solid, holds two batteries/one Hopper, or alternatively one Hopper /one battery /small container for herb (included with case).

I even tried putting some toilet paper inside the case chambers, and submerging it in water for around 5 seconds, and it didn't leak!

@Copacetic I did the same water test with mine! I was pleasantly surprised that it did so well. I eventually did get water in the chambers, but only by submerging for a longer time, and also moving it around.

I want to try finding some small rubber gaskets that fit, and trying the water test again... just haven't gotten around to trying that yet

Top Bottom