Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Thought I'd give a little progress report on my hopper honeymoon.

Still loving this thing. The SS and Ti are in a daily rotation. Can't say I'm noticing any performance difference between the two, but that may be because they are both so good at what they do that any differences are unnoticed or forgotten.

Both back ends still staying nice and cool. Only noticed the SS back end get warm (but not uncomfortably so) last night after 4 hits separated by only a few seconds each. And I believe the battery was dying.

Looking at accessories, please allow me to give a 5 star review for the combo pack of Ratchett's mini dual loading funnel, doob tube, and hopper stand. They make loading the hopper a total breeze, and the funnel's compatibility with both the hopper and the tube make all aspects of hopper feeding so easy and mess-free. I also now consider his battery caps to be must-have items. Not only do they make battery transport much safer, you can devise a system for keeping track of spent vs fresh by capping one or the other end. Finally, my tired old fingers greatly appreciate the battery sleeves when trying to load those skinny little buggers in my D4. Even though the ones I got are slightly too large (allowing the batteries to slide a little too easily - not too woryy, Ratchett is coming to the rescue), they still make things easier.

Can't say enough good about all this gear. There will definitely be a trip to Ratchett's e-shop as part of my holiday gift wish list. It's THE place to shop for your hopper-havin' friends and family. (My wife thinks it's hilarious/a little sad/at least he doesn't gamble/all of the above that the entirety of my wish list this year is Grasshopper-VAAS-fueled. :rofl:)

Speaking of hopper accessories, I built one myself! :science:

When it comes to posting pix here I am totally "get off my lawn" :myday: so I'll try to explain what I've done using words. My first vape was/is a Vapor Brothers desktop and I have lots of spare parts for that hanging around. I tool the glass bowl/stem and the glass mouthpiece from an extra hands free whip and joined them using less than an inch of tubing. The long part is the same length as the hopper and the little bit of tubing and mouthpiece add another 1.5-2 inches. With the hopper's condom in place, it fits snugly and safely into the bowl. In fact when I remove the hopper from the bowl when finishing a hit, the condom often stays in the whip.

Heat issue totally solved. :tup:
Taking much larger hits than you think you are issue totally exacerbated. :D

Mr Mellish

Heat-up time to first temp? 1:37. Much better.

Taste? Meh. Probably should have done a burn-off or ISO dip. Tasted as plasticky as the Prima.

Judgment reserved. If I can get two happy years out of this, I'll be quite happy with my original investment.

Mr Mellish,

Kalessin

Taste? Meh. Probably should have done a burn-off or ISO dip. Tasted as plasticky as the Prima.

Judgment reserved. If I can get two happy years out of this, I'll be quite happy with my original investment.
Your Hopper takes a minute and 37 seconds to heat up? And you're happy about it? Am I reading this wrong?

moondog

Gotta believe this post was meant for a different thread. Hard to see how the hopper could taste plasticky unless you mistakenly ground up and vaped a doob toob cap.

JoeMama

Thought I'd give a little progress report on my hopper honeymoon.

Still loving this thing. The SS and Ti are in a daily rotation. Can't say I'm noticing any performance difference between the two, but that may be because they are both so good at what they do that any differences are unnoticed or forgotten.

Both back ends still staying nice and cool. Only noticed the SS back end get warm (but not uncomfortably so) last night after 4 hits separated by only a few seconds each. And I believe the battery was dying.

Looking at accessories, please allow me to give a 5 star review for the combo pack of Ratchett's mini dual loading funnel, doob tube, and hopper stand. They make loading the hopper a total breeze, and the funnel's compatibility with both the hopper and the tube make all aspects of hopper feeding so easy and mess-free. I also now consider his battery caps to be must-have items. Not only do they make battery transport much safer, you can devise a system for keeping track of spent vs fresh by capping one or the other end. Finally, my tired old fingers greatly appreciate the battery sleeves when trying to load those skinny little buggers in my D4. Even though the ones I got are slightly too large (allowing the batteries to slide a little too easily - not too woryy, Ratchett is coming to the rescue), they still make things easier.

Can't say enough good about all this gear. There will definitely be a trip to Ratchett's e-shop as part of my holiday gift wish list. It's THE place to shop for your hopper-havin' friends and family. (My wife thinks it's hilarious/a little sad/at least he doesn't gamble/all of the above that the entirety of my wish list this year is Grasshopper-VAAS-fueled. :rofl:)

When it comes to posting pix here I am totally "get off my lawn" :myday: so I'll try to explain what I've done using words. My first vape was/is a Vapor Brothers desktop and I have lots of spare parts for that hanging around. I tool the glass bowl/stem and the glass mouthpiece from an extra hands free whip and joined them using less than an inch of tubing. The long part is the same length as the hopper and the little bit of tubing and mouthpiece add another 1.5-2 inches. With the hopper's condom in place, it fits snugly and safely into the bowl. In fact when I remove the hopper from the bowl when finishing a hit, the condom often stays in the whip.

Heat issue totally solved. :tup:
Taking much larger hits than you think you are issue totally exacerbated. :D

Hey glad you are having a great experience with them!
I have all of those must-have Ratchett accessories, too.
Plus, I'm starting to dig the Feeder as well.

Your whip device seems interesting, Moon... I generally just stick to my Purr Papa bubbler (it's "just OK"). And even with that small thing, the extra volume of vapor gives me those too-large hits at times. Not that I'm complainin' :cool:

Gotta believe this post was meant for a different thread. Hard to see how the hopper could taste plasticky unless you mistakenly ground up and vaped a doob toob cap.

Ah, I'm so glad I haven't been the only one who's done that!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm finding so much fun and interest in combining, mixing/matching, making all this 'accessory' stuff. Glass, tubing, adapters, I feel like Mr. Wizard sometimes. Or at least little clever.

Oh, and in case the US falls off the map today (or worse), I just want to say it's been nice knowing all of you. And on behalf of (some) of my fellow citizens, to all you nice folks outside the US, I sincerely apologize for the intrusion and inconvenience this time around.

SERENITY NOW! :mental: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :nod:

MoltenTiger

Do the position and number of perforations make much of a difference?
Yes. More holes generally means better diffusion, which means smoother tokes with less flavour.
The placement does make a difference too, but more important is the overall dynamics.
I have a double disc percolator with over 100 holes (I guess) and my other main pieces are simple 3-hole perc downstems.
The simpler percs offer more flavour, partly because they're smaller pieces and partly because there's less diffusion.
But the dynamics of the bigger piece are so well designed it manages to retain flavour better than most pieces the same size.

I made a post a while back exploring some options, which may be of interest
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-grasshopper.18482/page-468#post-1020770

Besides becoming stained, is there any other adverse effects that come with not washing glassware?
It's unhygienic to leave glass dirty as it is a prime location for bacterial growth.
Using PBW, or strong alcohol with salt, makes cleaning easy and complicated pieces like the first one you linked from DHgate aren't that much more time consuming to clean over the simple styles, unless they're really dirty/have been smoked through.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Didnt the US already fall out the map? ;)

Hope the less worst for all you US-guys today. The whole world is concerned.
Thanks, we so obviously need all the good vibes and wishes we can muster today.

I'm not that big on the politics as such, but I love me some music, and Bruce Springsteen did a nice job last night at rally in front of Independence Hall. Check out his 2nd number, youtube available, 'Long Walk Home' he called it a prayer for America going forward. He has this knack for blending a forlorn love story and larger social statement that resonates for me.

I know this isn't on-topic, but I'm hoping for an 'end times' exception today.

moondog

I'm finding so much fun and interest in combining, mixing/matching, making all this 'accessory' stuff. Glass, tubing, adapters, I feel like Mr. Wizard sometimes. Or at least little clever.

Oh, and in case the US falls off the map today (or worse), I just want to say it's been nice knowing all of you. And on behalf of (some) of my fellow citizens, to all you nice folks outside the US, I sincerely apologize for the intrusion and inconvenience this time around.

SERENITY NOW! :mental: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :nod:

My brother and I have a rule of thumb: Any hobby that requires lots of gadgets, gear, and accessories to mess with is a good hobby. That's one of the many reasons I enjoy vaping.

I would like to add my apologies to that of Viking. Whether we end up with the disappointing status quo maintainer or the giant puss-filled cheeto that walks like a man, the whole thing has been an embarrassment. But yeah, it's a tough day here in Americaland and I pray that whatever we do doesn't hurt the rest of the world (at least any more than we normally do.) So I'm sorry for the past year, for whatever may come, and I'm very sorry for the blatantly political post.

Thanks, we so obviously need all the good vibes and wishes we can muster today.

I know this isn't on-topic, but I'm hoping for an 'end times' exception today.

I would say it's very on-topic as in: "Reasons to use your hopper - a lot."

moondog

BTW, to keep things electorally on topic, 5 US states are voting on marijuana legalization today and four others are voting on medical marijuana. If things go well today in that arena, people will probably look back at the 2016 election as the year the big dominoes fell in the fight for legalization in this country. Here's hoping.

CapitalFlower

My Hoppers started making a quiet rapid ticking noise every time it's turned on, is this the arcing or something people mentioned a while back?

CapitalFlower,

guyonthecouch

I'm pretty sure that a majority of people who are having heat issues(hot when inhaling) are using the device incorrectly. This is a convection vape, the oldschool technique of tightly packed bowls for Conduction vapes(ex:arizer air/solo, pax) is not necessary. In fact, being that convection is air flow based a looser bowl works best with the Hopper. After testing many different bowl levels, I've found that yes with a tightly packed full bowl it gets hot(this may be causing some units to overheat and malfunction, just a guess). Keep it loose and not completely filled to the brim and it's super smooooooth, heat issue is gonzo. Also, I cleaned the interior battery terminal(inside the body) with a qtip and rubbing alcohol and removed a bunch of machining oil/residue. Seems like cleaning the threading, terminals and battery ends is more important than bowl maintenance for optimal battery output..another lil learning curve.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My Hoppers started making a quiet rapid ticking noise every time it's turned on, is this the arcing or something people mentioned a while back?
It is normal, by all reports and according to HL. I have noticed that it is louder or softer at times though haven't made a study of it.

BTW, to keep things electorally on topic, 5 US states are voting on marijuana legalization today and four others are voting on medical marijuana. If things go well today in that arena, people will probably look back at the 2016 election as the year the big dominoes fell in the fight for legalization in this country. Here's hoping.
:leaf::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::leaf:

To stay OT, I promise to use my Hopper responsibly if everyone agrees to end the prohibition. :nod:

guyonthecouch

Mine does this as well, don't think it's a function issue to be concerned with. Mine has always made the noise. I've noticed at times it's louder than others but doesn't affect usage. No, i don't think this is related to the theoretical arching issue.

duff

Well worn
Edit: I just put the Crafty down and forgot to add your quote...

"Do you think the GH with the silicone mouthpiece could fit the 18mm hole?"

It does, but Ratchett's fits better and won't get the color of disgusting.

Last edited:
duff,
Reactions: moondog

MoltenTiger

Do you think the GH with the silicone mouthpiece could fit the 18mm hole?
not without a reducer. The silicone MP is 17mm wide, the bottom of an 18mm female joint is 18mm, the top is 20+mm (it is ground at an angle)

Ratchett's silicone reducers are the best choice, because they can seal the GH hands free

AJS

Calm Consistency
I ordered batteries the 31st and got a confirmation email saying thanks for pre ordering a GH (which I didn't do), and no tracking or word that it shipped. It said it would ship out instantly so I didn't think I had to add the note. Did I mess up or is this normal haha.
Got my invoice in the email tho and it was accurate.

AJS,
Top Bottom