1. A not-so-short post addressing what's been going on recently.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Kasish

Kasish Well-Known Member

Ive forsaken my GH when i found out the battery chamber is not isolated from the air path, tried using it a couple times after and it got burning hot... If it was possible id ask for a refund this thing is not a finished product. (in my opinion)

vapen00b, Skywalker OG and hillbill like this.
  2. jabba

jabba Well-Known Member

Well it is your lucky day! Given the plethora of prospective buyers and Hopper Labs inability to produce fast enough to keep up with demand, surely you should be able to find someone willing to take your awful, coal burning, lithium ion leaking, lead leeching Grasshopper off your hands :)This was sarcasm.

I would be SO PISSED if i lost my Hopper(s)....and I would immediately go buy again. For me...there is no replacement for this device. Everyone can read the well documented pros and cons of the Grasshopper and with more than sufficient information can easily decide for themselves. The GH will not please everyone.

slcbdco, Carl Hempel, Mr. Me2 and 5 others like this.
  3. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

I'm sorry, I must be out of the loop. Can you point me to your source for this claim?

As far as I can see, air flows in the path of least resistance. Which is from the air intake holes down into the heat exchanger and to the oven.

Really curious to know when/where it was established the battery chamber is not isolated from the airpath.

Mr. Me2, IAmKrazy2, btka and 3 others like this.
  4. Kasish

Kasish Well-Known Member

I closed the air intake path, air still flows if u draw with or without the back end screwed on u can check for urself. If im wrong do tell cuz ill send my unit in if so.

jabba, sarcasm aside i cannot sell something in this condition to anyone and im too lazy to go through their warranty procedure. So basically its sitting here collection dust.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Skywalker OG likes this.
  5. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Yeah, I imagine if it's used correctly it poses minimum risk. The reality is if it's widely recommended then there's good possibility of rash application and spillage occurring. Any instance of this will probably make its way online. That's not to say it is indeed the culprit with these two cases, but if it wasn't a grease, it must have been something (and not necessarily user error).
    I have never used any conductive greasing agent with the hopper, nor felt the need to. I have done similar cleaning with strong alcohol and could report similar performance improvement, so I wouldn't be so sure it's an entirely worthwhile partial risk to use anything more complex.
    Especially as the battery chamber is not sealed (otherwise it would be a pipe bomb). So there will be minuscule exposure to anything applied to the back end threads.
    However it will be extremely minimal, it's hard to say as the air intake beyond the external shell can't be seen, it will happen though and it's an exposure easily avoided. Volatile cleaning agents known to leave residue are just something I will always avoid with the hopper, if I have a serious corrosion issue I will file warranty.
    tbh I would just fix it, I realise you can do things safely and if I felt it necessary I wouldn't hesitate, but case in point be careful everyone!

Vapor_Eyes, tubasco and moondog like this.
  6. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Brought my GH to my favorite place in the state. Who said Florida isn't beautiful? This is walking distance from my house, so thankful.

Nothing like vaping and reading here!

My GH has been turning off during heatup more and more. We'll see how it goes! She's still chuggin tho!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ratchett

Ratchett Vape Accessories Delta3DStudios.com Accessory Maker

Dude, my best friend got married right there a few months ago! I love those gardens, lmao :lol:

8. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

I care deeply about the environment. Because of this I try to recycle as much as possible:

[​IMG]

9. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Good day, all....

I've gone to reddit to look for other catastrophic battery issues... a couple, certainly...

I tend to disagree about that, BUT sure, if someone were to be really sloppy and get conductive shit inside the body, sure, it's possible. But I'm really doubting that @lovecrush is doing anything like that; point being that if there is ONE instance of a truly clean hopper having this happen, then the connection between cleaning and this kind of catastrophic battery failure isn't likely.

More importantly, I hesitate to give GH any excuse to pin it on user-error.

Grease is baad, m'kay? It attracts particulate matter. Even the tiniest specs of debris will fuck up those threads over time. Keep Hopper clean, use ISO and detoxit, and you're good for a week of fairly heavy use.

And as I said above, since GH is so fuckin quiet about instructing users how to truly take care of the hopper (like why the hell not mention oxidation and thread cleaning? WTF, man), they just give me the vibe that if you do one thing that isn't what they "recommend", they'll throw you to the dogs.

Someone on Reddit asked if anyone wants to do a class-action suit against GH (myriad reasons), and thankfully all responses are nay. I want this company to succeed. Though they need to sit the fuck up and take notice and deal with this out in the open.

Because thanks to OP's like @lovecrush , it will be in the open whether they like it or not.

No way. There is no way you will get a molecule of air from the battery compartment unless you suck that thing really hard while completely clogging the air intake holes. Physics.
    ... and anyone that would somehow have clogged up all the holes, and then proceed to turn blue in the face sucking air from the body... well, c'mon! :shrug:

Mr. Me2, ronads, MoltenTiger and 3 others like this.
  10. Kasish

Kasish Well-Known Member

I have no reason to argue with u guys ur health is ur own. :-)

JoeMama, newVaper420 and MoltenTiger like this.
  11. 945

945 Member

the there add on the gh are not the main conductive path the end of the tube of the body contacts with the back end so your contact area is the wall thicness of the body tubing around the circumference of the tube and the point that it meets on the back end I personally think the threads are not the main conductive path

also if you suck on the battery side of the body with no battery you can draw air so the electronics and battery vent to the area which air will be drawn into whilst vaping try it

12. MoltenTiger

I've been doing a bit of reading on titanium threads, turns out they are renowned for galling (wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces) which is the cause of dark dust build up. Apparently no lube will prevent this due to the nature of the material and the forces required. It's not promoted as good body material with flashlight users, apart from its durability and mass. Apparently blu-tac works well to clean out the dust and doing this often should extend the life of the threads.

BTW I absolutely think there is very likely chance of absorbing molecules placed anywhere near the hopper, whether or not it's worth worrying about molecules is dependant on what they are. Avoiding nasty ones is worth considering and is a major part of why we bother to vaporize.

Looking at the MSDS for DeoxIT, it seems fairly safe. It's mainly petroleum naphtha, an intermediate hydrocarbon derived from the refining of crude oil. It has a permissible exposure limit of 100ppm and at levels of 1100ppm it is immediately dangerous to life and health. It's bioaccumulative potential is unknown, and it is assumed to contain chemicals causing cancer or reproductive toxicity. Whilst you're unlikely to have any real issues with its use on the hopper, I still can't see it as a necessary risk

6079Smith, BadDog No and moondog like this.
  13. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

I try not to be judgmental, but a class action lawsuit would be the stupidest option. Not just because it would endanger GHL as they struggle out of their formative stage.

The instant a suit is filed, GHL can NEVER admit there is anything wrong with the device because that would be evidence used against them. The only hope there is of getting them to talk to us more (or at all) is if we try to work with them. If you decide all you want is revenge for their actions (or lack thereof) sue away, but then you can kiss any hope of seeing a hopper with these issues resolved goodbye. :2c:

catbird, 945 and BadDog No like this.
  14. 945

945 Member

fuck grease I like the blue tac idea remove dirt not add something that's not supposed to be there

MoltenTiger and moondog like this.
  15. Mangos

Mangos Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

My grasshopper has been taking up twenty seconds to heat up lately, when it does heat up it has been combusting.

I will be sending it in to Vapefiend for repair. Got four different batteries each with the same results. Material does not combust in any other vapes on high temps.

I've had it since the end of Febuary , was lucky enough to be on of the first few to get it on release day.
    Usually used it on temp 5 through glass. I use a medium grind and don't overfill .

Sad to see it go. There was more I needed to say- but my Evo and my stupidity combined have made me forget .

16. JoeMama

Just to be clear, Moon, *I* was one of the "nays".:tup:

Vapor_Eyes, MoltenTiger and ZC like this.
  17. moondog

Oh, I know, Joe. Never doubted ya.

I should have been clearer myself. My use of "you" was in the general; not a YOU you. My apologies.

:tup:

Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  18. JoeMama

No worries... You might have misused "you", but otherwise your punctuation and grammar was excellent! :clap::tup::rofl:

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  19. MoltenTiger

Yeah, I'll give a blu-tac dab a go now. I also have some electronic cleaning polymer goop stuff which has been basically useless until now, but it's in storage. I think blue tac is possibly the quickest solution seeing how difficult it is to wipe the fine threads.

...well I gave it a go, not because I needed to but because I wanted an excuse for some kush ;)
    It works perfectly, requires little effort too.
    You can also use it to clean the notches and +\- pretty effectively.
    [​IMG]
    Terrible macro shot but the gist is there.
    I had rarely cleaned my other hoppers back end as it stays cool, but it had a lot more dust in it. It can act as an abrasive agent destroying the threads so it's best cleaned out.
    [​IMG]
    The kush was strong. It's too early in the day :tup::zzz:

20. JoeMama

I've been all over the internet and all I can find on "blue tac" is a chain lubricant. What is this Blue Tac stuff? Is it better than DetoxIT?

Vapor_Eyes, MoltenTiger and Mr. Me2 like this.
  21. moondog

Here ya go, Joe: blu-tac.

22. JoeMama

Thanks, Moon...

An adhesive? I have a feeling I'm going to learn something new today!

23. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

Yeah been watching your communication and I guess this is perfect to clean the threads like the "magic putty" for cleaning keyboard

Vapor_Eyes, MoltenTiger and moondog like this.
  24. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Did you just apply the blu tac, or was there any rubbing/twisting around the threads.

When I first looked at your first pic, I thought it was a tissue, but on closer look, I guess that's the blu tac. Right?

JoeMama, Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  25. Elac

Elac Silly rabbit trips are for kids

@lovecrush : Could you post the markings (if there is any) on that chip in the back end?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors