1. A not-so-short post addressing what's been going on recently.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I went to town. It's kind of like playing with play-dough and not half bad after a few chambers :cool:
    The +/- leave cool embossed patterns. I should have taken a photo with that in it, but I only have an old phone so gave up by that point
    Initially, just before the photo I took, I just got a fresh slab of Bostik Blu-tac (it's worth it to get Bostik) and stuck it to the threads and pulled it off, applying minimal pressure. You can see there is black grime on the badly photographed/coloured blu-tac which shows a stripe representing the threads. It cleaned about 90% of the gunk from the threads in that one quick dab, I then proceeded to apply pressure and movement and then moved on to the +/- which were much grimier and more reluctant to be cleaned.
    I then did my other back end which had about 3x as much grit. After cleaning it it is noticeably a lot smoother to twist on/off, possibly cleaner than I ever remember either hopper :)
    I'd expect sticky keyboard cleaners would work as well or better though Blu-tac has much less scent (still strange smelling, it also stretches to be white in colour, as it has done a bit in my pic) it's also non-volatile and non-toxic but it tastes pretty terrible

PS I guess blu-tac isn't a common household item the world over? How do you guys stick up posters? @JoeMama

PPS lol I just remembered I also tried cleaning the air intake holes (pointless, no yield) and the mouth piece hole. The blu-tac kind of congeals with resin and I would not recommend doing this :sherlock:

My plain Ti is currently doing this. Probably not 20s but longer than normal. Mine's in the process of dying and the same symptoms graced it before it failed me last time with sensor issues. At the moment I'm getting occasional power failures

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    ooo, moondog, Elac and 4 others like this.
  2. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I thought it was too....

So you just "dab" or press the putty into the threads and, Voila!?

MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and Mr. Me2 like this.
  3. Icon13

Icon13 Serial Vapist

Probably not. They usually tear around the circumstance of the end, which is still exposed if you use those covers. Typically longer cells will be the ones to tear because the cell compartment of the charger is a couple millimeters too small and requires pressure to pop the battery in. Usually this is the case with 18650 because they are usually the longest battery that fits in spring loaded lithium ion Chargers.

The best thing that you can do is pull the spring loaded contact all the way back and drop the battery in without scraping either end on anything. That is what will keep your batteries in proper condition. Conversely, pull the spring-loaded contact back and lift the battery out without scraping either end when done charging.

4. lovecrush

lovecrush http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ

It says: M242 5GC1

[​IMG]

5. Elac

Elac Silly rabbit trips are for kids

@lovecrush :Thanks alot, I wonder if those are in house chips, or LM242 chips with the L and what looks like the begining of the M etched off?

I really like the circuitry design of the GH, interesting in the least.

MoltenTiger, moondog and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Haven't you guys ever lifted cartoons off of paper with Silly Putty? Same kind of thing. :nod:

syrupy, catbird, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  7. jabba

jabba Well-Known Member

Hear hear. Not to mention....whomever feels the need to sue over a $175 vape pen issue should really find a hobby or some way to help pass their leisure time. I am not a litigious guy....and the mere notion of suing Hopper Labs is absolutely laughable.

Edit: No offense to those whose trigger finger is on their lawyer's speed dial number.

8. JoeMama

What kind of sorcery is this?!?
    Ah, the days when me and Mutt 'n Jeff, Archie, Nancy and Peanuts (of course) would have fun with Silly Putty. :myday:

Yeah, I dunno who it was, since I hardly visit Reddit... I only signed up when I was waiting for the Hopper and was looking for as much data as I could get.

And yeah, "class action"... It's kind of a deplorable move to want to make. Gee I hope I don't get in trouble for using such a bad word. :razz::lmao:

MoltenTiger, Mr. Me2 and Bdubbdiblets like this.
  9. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

I know I'm not gonna take the most likeable position on this issue, but if the same thing that happened to lovecrush happened to me, and some sort of bodily injury occurred to me causing me incredible pain or what not, then yes I would sue for my medical expenses (that is if they didn't work with me to make things right).

However, just for the pen not working or breaking, not a chance. My 360 broke 5 times and never once did I think about suing. However, I never needed to worry about my safety with that.

MoltenTiger, Mr. Me2 and TheWhisper like this.
  10. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Just don't use "you". I hear that one's verboten.;)

Injuries due to manufacturer negligence is one thing and would be actionable, I think. This is not that. Hopefully, it never will be.

11. MonsterWithoutBorders

MonsterWithoutBorders Philosophim

Ok fellow fckers they say that confession is good for ....

I have VAS ocd with cleaning. I boil the mouthpiece and silicone after every use. When adjusted i forgot about it till the smoke alarm went off. Dam that mouthpiece was hot but it looked good and screwed on flawlessly. However the draw seemed restricted when i tried to use it. It rattled and i could not see through it to the sky (light). I haven't been able to get it apart yet too c if i can repair it. I saw the picture of it in the repair resource video.

Luckily i ordered a new mouthpiece which came today and the sky is visible so who knows what baking did to mine.

After laughing at my idiocy could someone tell me about the parts in the mouthpiece and guess why cannot i see the sky.

12. newVaper420

Yes. There is a plastic piece that connects to the screen. It's a little tube. My guess is you melted that in the boiling water.

13. MonsterWithoutBorders

MonsterWithoutBorders Philosophim

Do u inderstand why it is just not a screen.

MoltenTiger likes this.
  14. newVaper420

My guess is to direct the vapor into a straight stream to the hole of the mouthpiece instead of it swirling in the metal mouthpiece?

MoltenTiger likes this.
  15. Kalessin

Kalessin Well-Known Member

I tried taking my screen assembly out and replacing it with a finer mesh ss screen. The vapor was unbearable and that's speaking as someone who uses it on 5 natively. Whatever that cone is, it soaks up a ton of excess heat from the vapor stream

16. tubasco

tubasco Well-Known Member

I understood that part attached to the screen to be a proprietary glass/silicone material. Mine came unscrewed by accident so I was able to get all the residual oil out of the front and scrape most of the dark stains off of said screen protrusion piece.

17. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

I've been wrestling myself internally in the last couple weeks but decided to post....

I looove the hopper for my needs it's absolutely perfect (when working). Quick, powerful and portable. Buuuut....

All this face exploding toxic fume inhaling battery talk has me feeling cruddy...I thought I had conquered my VAS...

I wonder sometimes if I am overthinking it? Is it really that sketch to where I have to worry about my face literally melting (and not of the indica variatel:cool:) with each hit? I'm about to go nagging the firefly 2 peeps as it seems that may be the answer...albeit an expensive one. Cruddy cruddy VAS..oh how I thought the hopper was the end.

I will never completely jump ship as hopper labs has been amazing to me (6 easy warranties so far) and I hope that one day these worries will be a distant memory...

Just thinking about having to learn a new vape is making me need miss Mary...here's to another round of hopper roulette...:shrug:

18. btka

btka Well-Known Member

what do you mean with residual oil exactly.... was it in the front end when you got your gh or after you used it...

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are over thinking and overly worried. Please don't get me wrong...I definitely am a supporter that discussion of a vape and vape related topics most certainly must make room for negative as well as the positive. Critical review is....well, critical and that's what I think we share here along with our experiences and discoveries.

With that said, however, I don't know what you mean by "all this talk of exploding batteries" (note the plural). I'm only aware of one battery, with a damaged wrapper, self-destructing. One is not a trend.

Do you own a cell phone? Many, many, many cell phones have gone the way of the world when the batteries failed and out vented gas/heat or just plain caught things on fire. If you are not living in worry about your cell phone, perhaps that will give you a perspective on this GH battery failure.

To put my money where my mouth is, to me the GH is a wonderful device and I love it completely. However, the company's abysmal schedule performance in delivery to pre-orders and the continued high failure rate (with lifetime warranty, granted...your life time or Hopper Labs, which ever ends sooner), and their lousy customer communications are causes for legitimate serious concern and criticism.

Love the vape, the company needs to grow up in a hurry.

I do cherish my GH and it has worked flawlessly for 4-5 months now. But I would not recommend this vape to a new user as the manufacturing quality is not yet mature (and maybe the design also).

Cheers

20. tubasco

tubasco Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant the 'oil' that builds up from use. Some call it reclaim I think?
    It's typically the reason we soak the front end...to purge it of that oil.

(Wasn't there a user on here a while back that really, REALLY wanted to torch it to do dabs with it? :lol:)

21. JoeMama

It's also one reason that maybe GHL doesn't feel the need to instruct on its removal, since that stem makes it so you only really need to use a pipe cleaner for it.

Even though I will continue to periodically remove the screen assembly, as long as the stem is kept clean, I guess that screen assembly can stay put.

What he said. :tup:

22. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Where's that "mic drop" smiley when you really need it?

Well said, Baron.

23. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

Yea ur prob right...however I don't often suck on my cell phone...although I would if it worked like the hopper...also wouldn't put HL in the same boat as Samsung or Apple etc as far as QC especially with 7 buck batts..naw mean....:shrug:...just my 2 cents worth.

Don't get ME wrong I'm hopping currently...it's just not without a healthy respect for combusting batteries....:rockon::ko:

MoltenTiger, slcbdco and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  24. JoeMama

Sorry, Molten, didn't see this til now...

I wasn't paying attention closely enough when I searched "blue tac", and didn't associate "putty" with "cleaning product". Plus that pic of the stuff looked like tissue! I should be getting some of it on Wednesday and can't wait to try it out and report!

Actually, if I may, I do own these sleeves, and a D4. The combination is perfect because the sleeves offer better handling of the installation into the charger, IMO. Before I had the sleeves, I'd drop or fumble batteries whilst trying to center them in their respective bays.

Great shot of this. Now I see what might be the cause of hot back ends...

So that "brass" piece off to the right is the battery contact. Note that it has three "feet" that interface with - the threads and related metalwork. And these three little feet are the only connection to the body from the battery.

It appears that it is NOT a solder connection, but some kind of press-fit connection.

I hope GHL evolves these backends to a more permanent and reliable connection to the battery terminal.

25. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Yep, it's that simple. Some bits were more reluctant, and a bit of pressure and movement did the trick. The grime in the temp notches would clean better if it was dissolved first I guess, but my + is now silver not black so a bit of persistence is worthwhile.

This is how I handle my batteries, my Xtar MC2 works really well in that regard, there's enough space to stretch the sprung terminal back to fit a thumb and battery into the slot, so no chance of wrapper damage.
    It also defaults to the safest charging voltage, unlike Nitecore, according to HL, who have had cases of people killing batteries with Nitecore chargers.

It is very impressive considering the working space. There seems to be a bit more going on in the back end than I expected too.

That is sorcery, the power of adhesion!

Their manual is structured quite well. You would need good lawyers to win your case, but in that instance it would absolutely be fair game to try. I will continue hoping no one ever has to face this.
    The battery cells, from what I have gathered, don't actually have much exploding potential though. A big 18650 is capable of serious damage, apparently smaller cells like 12850s, are far less scary or dangerous in catastrophic conditions. Still risky, for sure, but not as scary as a phone or an eCig mod at the end of the day.

There have been three cases I'm aware of; a while back someone left one in their car on a scorching summers day. It caught their dash on fire and made a real mess.
    @lovecrush (cheers for the pic btw, hope you get it sorted soon) had an issue, that to the best of our knowledge, was NOT caused by a damaged battery wrap.
    Then some other multi-month user on reddit also had a similar issue, but apparently it was charging in the device at the time.

I feel like there have been two other posts on reddit about a heated and swollen battery and the removal of a hot cell, but don't remember any details.

Li-ion is super unstable and there will be more issues to come. However, practicing safe battery handling will reduce user risk to an acceptable level and most people will have no issues.

My bad, it really does. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors