Discontinued The Grasshopper

Bdubbdiblets

I don't know. Seems to me like some of those folks plan to keep both.

Edit: Hey!! It's my 100th post!! :) I guess it's true what they say: Time flies when you're waiting for the hopper.

This has me pondering a more philisophical question: do two wrong hoppers make a right? Or perhaps is it better to have hopped and lost then to have never hopped at all? Or is the grass (hopper) always greener...

sorry I need to Vape..;)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Can anyone confirm what size battery cases are best for the Grasshopper? I seem to remember the cases for 18650s work but I'm not sure. I want to pick up a couple cases from the local e-cig shop. Just in case anyone's not sure what I'm talking about:

DUALCASE-2.jpg

Vapor_Eyes,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Bdubbdiblets

Can anyone confirm what size battery cases are best for the Grasshopper? I seem to remember the cases for 18650s work but I'm not sure. I want to pick up a couple cases from the local e-cig shop. Just in case anyone's not sure what I'm talking about:

DUALCASE-2.jpg

http://delta3dstudios.com There's some different battery holders and other stuff here...great customer service too if you have any questions..

ElectropoK

Hello FC,

My first post on this forum (but not my first reading!).

Just want to mention that I'm waiting for my Grasshopper ordered at http://verdampftnochmal.de !! :)

Hoping that:
- It will work properly
- The mouthpiece will not be too hot when drawing (I've ordered a bubbler with it in worst case)
- I will receive the new electronical charger (highly doubt on that..)
- etc..

I'll keep you posted about my feedbacks if you are interessted. Mid experimented vaper here :)

See you

SilentRunner

As I am typing this the hopper gets charged for the first time, and it is doing so since 1,2h and still charging, shouldn't this be under an hour?

I charged for the first time in my Nitecore when the battery was on 3.83V. Nitecore stopped after 48 minutes charging with 0.5A and claimed 4.2V. I tested 4.14V and charged it some more in the hopper. It was blinking red for 2 minutes, then blue. I tested 4.15V.

The hopper is charging with 1A until about 4.05V, then you see a change of current in waves. I used this to measure current: http://bit.ly/1UDjwy1

SilentRunner,
Reactions: Thcgos

jivebuggered

ElectropoK

Just ordered a ti from vaporshop to Australia i really hope i dont get a lemon.I see they do not have any spare batteries where can i get some spares anyone? thanks

Congratulation for your order ! I've ordered my Q in the past at Vaposhop, they are serious :)

Apparently for spare batteries you can order it directly at GH labs (no waiting time but high sending cost).

Are those batteries specific from GH labs ? I mean: is it impossible to find classic spare batteries matching the size and battery specs for the hopper ?

I think the electrical specs are not so strange/foundable but the size...

Would be interest too to know if someone has a good deal to buy original GH or similar batteries ?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Congratulation for your order ! I've ordered my Q in the past at Vaposhop, they are serious :)

Apparently for spare batteries you can order it directly at GH labs (no waiting time but high sending cost).

Are those batteries specific from GH labs ? I mean: is it impossible to find classic spare batteries matching the size and battery specs for the hopper ?

I think the electrical specs are not so strange/foundable but the size...

Would be interest too to know if someone has a good deal to buy original GH or similar batteries ?
The battery size is proprietary, they are custom made, not in general spec., but in size.

Vaperist

Hello FC,

My first post on this forum (but not my first reading!).

Just want to mention that I'm waiting for my Grasshopper ordered at http://verdampftnochmal.de !! :)

Hoping that:
- It will work properly
- The mouthpiece will not be too hot when drawing (I've ordered a bubbler with it in worst case)
- I will receive the new electronical charger (highly doubt on that..)
- etc..

I'll keep you posted about my feedbacks if you are interessted. Mid experimented vaper here :)

See you
welcome to dee Hopper tribe!

MoltenTiger

Just ordered a ti from vaporshop to Australia i really hope i dont get a lemon.I see they do not have any spare batteries where can i get some spares anyone? thanks
As mentioned, you should be able to get batteries directly from HL..
However, I got mine when my charger stopped working - they sent me a replacement charger and included my batteries from my pre-order plus more with the parcel to save me shipping costs.
It's not really an ideal way to save 20 bucks but might as well mention it ;)

FWIW my hopper proved its citrus qualities after over 2 months and it cost 30 to send it back from Tassie, would have been 15 uninsured through AusPost.

Can't wait to get the bastard back - you made a good choice.

Worth checking out Jaycar for a battery charger too.
You can plug that into a USB powerbank for portable charging which is way too good.

Last edited:

btka

the gh manual states you should use only ul listed usb ports... how should I know if for example my usb port of my pc is ul listed or my samsung "charger" from my pad? could it harm my hopper when not knowing if my usb port is ul listed?

Last edited:
btka,

Vaperist

the gh manual states you should use only ul listed usb ports... how should I know if for my example my usb port of my pc is ul listed or my samsung "charger" from my pad? could it harm my hopper when not knowing if my usb port is ul listed?

what is UL listed means?

but anywayz, better to use external charger. to spread out that vaping workload on all batteries. just swap out to next one if that first battery is empty. i see no reason to use that cable charger.

and you can be very sure that brands like Nitecore or Xtar will do a job safely.

btka

yeah will buy an external charger (which one do you have or can recommend @Vaperist ) but do not have time to do so... so I have to use in the maenwhile the gh charger ... hope this will not have any bad effectsmy gh...

btka,

Baron23

what is UL listed means?

but anywayz, better to use external charger. to spread out that vaping workload on all batteries. just swap out to next one if that first battery is empty. i see no reason to use that cable charger.

and you can be very sure that brands like Nitecore or Xtar will do a job safely.
UL stands for Underwriters Laboratory and having a UL certification on a piece of gear conveys that this highly rated independent laboratory has found the item to be safely designed. Many companies will not buy unless UL rated and at one time I thought UL rating was key to insurance coverage for electrical kit.

As for external Li Ion Battery Chargers...wow, there are a ton of them out there and its not that challenging of a design. Nitecore, Foxnova, Xtar, really any of them. The better ones will have spring loaded contacts to allow charging of different sized batteries and should allow you to select charging rate (amps). Lower the amps the better for the long time life of your batteries...well, I guess to an extent. .5 amps is nice and low, anything above 2 amps would give me heartburn.

Fro the life of me, aside from just not having access to one, I do not understand using the built in charging vs external charger. As a matter of fact, I rather wish GH did NOT build in charging capability as this introduces unnecessary complexity and failure modes in a vape that has replaceable batteries for a reason. Just saying, recently GH went through some hoops with their charging control board, better to just have dumped the whole built in charger and ship external chargers.

Here's a Nitecore for $15: http://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-Inte...rger li-ion&qid=1465326950&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

So, why build in a charging function that needs to be miniaturized and which will get exposed to heat? Just saying :-)

EdE80

Just filled out a warranty request, had the hopper for about 2 1/2 months. I've been noticing that it hasn't been performing as well at times lately too. Might be a battery issue, but I'm not sure. My batteries have steadily lost the ability to charge fully and hold a charge longer than a day. They also are getting exhausted faster than usual. One bowl, if that, is all I get out of one...

Vaperist

Just saying, recently GH went through some hoops with their charging control board, better to just have dumped the whole built in charger and ship external chargers.

this! and i would agree to not to receive a charger from HopperLabs at all if i could jump a line that way :nod:

Vaperist,

jabba

Well...my SS GH has left the Netherlands and is on its way to my loving arms. It look possible that it could take two weeks to receive the order (ouch)....but I know how long many others have waited.

BTW....even batteries are reported on GH's website to not be available for shipment until August. I ordered ONE battery for $15 off Ebay last week and received it today. I already charged it in my new Nitecore D2 while awaiting my GH. I was surprised at how thin and small the battery is....photos made it appear larger in my mind.

jabba,
Reactions: mindful1

radiant34

You have to email them to get batteries. Even though it says August you could still email Caroline and get more bats
Well...my SS GH has left the Netherlands and is on its way to my loving arms. It look possible that it could take two weeks to receive the order (ouch)....but I know how long many others have waited.

BTW....even batteries are reported on GH's website to not be available for shipment until August. I ordered ONE battery for $15 off Ebay last week and received it today. I already charged it in my new Nitecore D2 while awaiting my GH. I was surprised at how thin and small the battery is....photos made it appear larger in my mind.

hippogriff

Just filled out a warranty request, had the hopper for about 2 1/2 months. I've been noticing that it hasn't been performing as well at times lately too. Might be a battery issue, but I'm not sure. My batteries have steadily lost the ability to charge fully and hold a charge longer than a day. They also are getting exhausted faster than usual. One bowl, if that, is all I get out of one...
Same issue, a couple months ago, they replaced battery (and delivered 2nd battery) and charger (not sure I've used it yet, have Nitecore D4) left backend (my 3rd) as-is. Now I'm back in same place, performance and battery life falling quick, same for both batteries. Feel pretty certain it's a short in the backend stifling performance while hurting batteries, hope GHL agrees.

Are you having extra heat in back? My backend heats up at a similar rate to the outside of the front end, while the middle resists. After 4-5 draws its not burning but the whole unit is uncomfortably heat soaked, and performance is compromised so that's not enough draws for full extraction, I stopped using mine last week.

hippogriff,
Reactions: mindful1

Bdubbdiblets

It says on HL website below most accessories that you can ignore the est ship date as those items (ie battery) will ship immediately...however I have not confirmed if this is true..;)

EdE80

Same issue, a couple months ago, they replaced battery (and delivered 2nd battery) and charger (not sure I've used it yet, have Nitecore D4) left backend (my 3rd) as-is. Now I'm back in same place, performance and battery life falling quick, same for both batteries. Feel pretty certain it's a short in the backend stifling performance while hurting batteries, hope GHL agrees.

Are you having extra heat in back? My backend heats up at a similar rate to the outside of the front end, while the middle resists. After 4-5 draws its not burning but the whole unit is uncomfortably heat soaked, and performance is compromised so that's not enough draws for full extraction, I stopped using mine last week.

it did a handful of times, but never consistently. It gave me the red/blue lights a couple of times too, but they went off as soon as I clicked it on and off.

That was quick... They're sending me a new body. I'll hand it to them, that was damn fast response time

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom