Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr. Me2

I got mine from VapeFiend yesterday, pretty nice piece! I'm not sure if it's quite the game changer that a lot do, but I definitely like it. It milked up my little f bomb much better than my Ascent or Solo. I love the almost no wait time to heat up, and I really didn't think that was going to be a huge selling point in my opinion. Cool, yes, but I didn't mind the short wait my Ascent requires. Until now. The mouthpiece does indeed get warm, hot actually. If you hold it at an angle so the vapor path hits your tongue, lip, or cheeck on exit, you definitely feel it. The silicone mouthpiece covers it nicely, and if you aren't constantly hitting it, it might not be necessary. I wouldn't know, I've been constantly hitting it. It takes a bit to cool down after usage, but that doesn't surprise me. I've got the Ti, which is supposed to cool faster, but I'm betting it also warms faster too, like real quick. All in all, definitely worth the wait/struggle/anger/delirium. Can't wait to try it with my bub I just ordered!

MOD NOTE: I copy and pasted this post from the Shipping Poll thread. Please delete if you feel the need
Congrats and enjoy!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Definitely a word, Google it hehehe.

Oh that's good. A rusty nose would be unsightly :rofl:

Thought as much RE: stainless steel and titanium, but even stainless steel still pits and rusts, so I had to ask.
Thanks!
My knowledge of metals is limited, but I know there are different grades of SS, and I suppose varying degrees that producers actually achieve & supply the requested spec. This annoys me about stainless steel, in general. If I'm buying a couple of ss nuts/bolts at the local hardware, there's usually no way of knowing if it's the good stuff or not.

One more thought on the nose sedum-as-lube conversation. I should have suggested it as a short term lube, for use just while the threads are wearing in. Cleaning should happen both before and after. Clean, dry threads will be the happiest. I know threads were not your issue @Thcgos (a free hopper was your issue!) but I wanted to add that cleaning part. Thanks.

Vaperist

Okay, I slept on this and decided I can bring it up among friends.

An old trick in the carpentry trade, and I do mean old, for an easy, available lubricant on a stubborn screw or such; You have the lube on your nose and the applicator on your fingertip. Apply sparingly to threads. ;)
EDIT: this is grouse man! :shit: but does that nose lube really works? that staff is based on water. that will evaporate and leave only dee sticky part of it on that Hopper thread.

or is it a joke maybe? never understand those. i laugh if somebody is telling a funny story or anecdote. when people are telling something i can filter a sarcasm out. but not jokes. i take information as it is. and if that info is stupid, i receive it as a stupidity not as humor. how i'm suppose to know which one is which?

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
EDIT: this is grouse man! :shit: but does that nose lube really works? that staff is based on water. that will evaporate and leave only dee sticky part of it on that Hopper thread.

or is it a joke maybe? never understand those. i laugh if somebody is telling a funny story or anecdote. when people are telling something i can filter a sarcasm out. but not jokes. i take information as it is. and if that info is stupid, i receive it as a stupidity not as humor. how i'm suppose to know which one is which?
Uw5c2dK.jpg
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ms1bjwo.jpg

:nod:

:ugh:

:peace:

BadDog No

Back in my mountain biking day, one of the reasons I never bought a titanium frame was the special lubricant you had to use to keep it from "welding" itself to fasteners. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the TI GH's threads feeling rough, but it's the reason I ordered SS. If some metallurgist or some such has already dismissed my fears in a previous post, my apologies; I'm new here and it's a long thread! Or maybe that was only between Titanium and steel that the "welding" occurred?

Oh, and nose oil is great to use as a wood polish too as in "Dude, how do you keep your MFLB so shiny looking?" I usually lie...:lol:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Maybe there's a language problem here. You realize I was referring to oil from on the nose, not in the nose?

In a machine shop, when cutting new threads on steel you lubricate with oil, then clean it off. I was suggesting an oil as a temporary lube while threads wear in on this Hopper. Then clean it off. I wouldn't leave mineral oil or any other on there either. Dirt collectors.

i take information as it is. and if that info is stupid, i receive it as a stupidity not as humor. how i'm suppose to know which one is which?
Sorry, any treatment of this subject is way above my pay grade.

Tdtour

@vapviking I am glad you are not referring to the stuff inside the nose, thats called a boogger.:rofl:

But how about a dry lubricant, like graphite?

I do not have my hopper so I have not experienced the situation.

I did not know that Ti materials can weld together.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't know anything about the self welding of titanium. Don't they make watches out of this stuff?

Do I need to worry about my threads welding together? on my Ti Hopper that's still just a gleam in the eye of that crack assembly team? And will they complete it by next Thursday? To all that I'd say, "Unlikely."

I don't think lubricating any parts of the Hopper really needs to be on anyone's list, except maybe for a fidgety new thread situation. With graphite, I would worry that it might seep around, or it's dust may go deeper into the Hopper than you'd want any foreign matter to be.

vapviking,
Reactions: Hjalmark

tubasco

Hope I didn't get anyone all riled up by introducing one more thing to worry about, but as you can see by the link, it's something cyclists are aware of. Probably has nothing to do with the GH...
https://www.tlcbikes.com/product/titanium-anti-seize/
not to encourage the thread to go further off topic ...but "installing a component" on a bicycle (presumably with a tool and a whole lot of torque) is much different than hand tightening a threaded part that is intended to get installed and removed several times a week.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Someone wrote and i dont know exactly who that its harder to tighten the back when nearing the end, thats due to the spring on it. Try without a battery in and u will see it diasapears.
It was me and it doesn't disappear. I've only used it for two days though, it did get better but didn't go away completely. It just feels rough at the end and the only reason I noticed is because I have an SS and it doesn't feel rough. It really isn't a big deal and I'll try the nose oil thing just for the fuck of it lol. I can't help but notice that this Ti is much faster at extracting material than my SS. In a few pulls at any temperature it vaporizes all the cannabanoids since I have to raise the temperature constantly to keep getting vapor. I actually prefer the Ti to my SS so far

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
It was me and it doesn't disappear. I've only used it for two days though, it did get better but didn't go away completely. It just feels rough at the end and the only reason I noticed is because I have an SS and it doesn't feel rough. It really isn't a big deal and I'll try the nose oil thing just for the fuck of it lol. I can't help but notice that this Ti is much faster at extracting material than my SS. In a few pulls at any temperature it vaporizes all the cannabanoids since I have to raise the temperature constantly to keep getting vapor. I actually prefer the Ti to my SS so far

Just want to make sure I have clarity here.

With a battery in the Grasshopper, the backend dial should slide more easily.

Is this not the case for you? Then, with the backend removed, does depressing the gold tab make the dial slide more easily?

Or am I misunderstanding entirely?

Averyminya,

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@Averyminya Yeah it does slide easier without a battery but there is coarseness when twisting on, which is not the case on the SS. The dial however is easier to adjust than on the SS lol. My concern wasn't that it gets harder to tighten at the very end, it was that it feels coarse when screwing on unlike the SS. I hope that clarifies it lol

@Kalessin If he feels the same way I do agree with him. The Ti unit is faster at extracting IMO unless my SS unit is not working properly. I have noticed that the battery is lasting longer on the Ti. I can do about four bowls 3/4 full before it dies.

@slcbdco Lmao! Trailer park boys are hilarious.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
so, what is your conclusions? is it necessary to put some stuff on those Hopper threads?
I don't understand why you might value my conclusions; I only heard the term 'cold welding' for the first time yesterday, and I've stated that I don't have much knowledge of metals. Nonetheless, and given that this phenomenon happens either under vacuum or very high pressure, my studied opinion is that this is a non-issue in relation to the Hopper.
I've already (above) summarized my conclusion, that Hopper threads in general should not be lubricated, with the possible exception of temporarily, as threads wear in.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Just my two pence worth on the threads. Oil and grease will pick up small metal particles and can turn a lubricant into a grinding paste. This will, over time, damage fine threads. Perhaps some graphite powder would help.

EdE80

I'm only getting about 2 packs from a battery, but that is usually 3-4 actual sessions. I take a couple rips, set it down and go on about my business until i feel the need to repeat. I did rip 2 full packs with the water pipe the other night though, and it ran out of juice towards the end of the 2nd bowl. I'm wondering if I got a bad battery? It sounds like I'm only getting half the charge everyone else is.

Will HL replace my battery? Anyone have any experience with this yet?

EdE80,

Mangos

I'm only getting about 2 packs from a battery, but that is usually 3-4 actual sessions. I take a couple rips, set it down and go on about my business until i feel the need to repeat. I did rip 2 full packs with the water pipe the other night though, and it ran out of juice towards the end of the 2nd bowl. I'm wondering if I got a bad battery? It sounds like I'm only getting half the charge everyone else is.

Will HL replace my battery? Anyone have any experience with this yet?
I have two batteries which I rotate between and one of them is like that. When using it on temp 5 I can get like 2-3 good sized hits, turning it off in between hits .

From temps 4-5 I can get about 3 maybe 4 sessions considering the load size. I usually never put more then a 0.1g's and I find I get a quicker better extraction after tamping down the load in the chamber.

If you don't already, get some spare batteries thing is a pain in the ass with no spares.
Don't think your battery is faulty though- 2-3 sessions on temp 5 and that could deplete the charge on either of my batteries.

Hope this helped.

Top Bottom